Mavic Pro oddly crashed - damaged 8331 props, probably drone (??)
12Next >
2436 44 2018-5-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DaveTheNewb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4167 ft

Czechia

Hi, i am very happy with my Mavic Pro. It makes wonderful pics and videos, flies nicely, is very compact.
I've installed new 8331 props yesterday and went to film some cars at the racetrack, but i got "Gimbal shake error" quite often.
I waited until the wind calms down (today) and when it did, i took off and ascended up to 40 meters. Took some pics, made a video, everything seemed fine, so i began descending down to around 2 meters. I was at my yard at that point wanting to land. Suddenly, the drone began flying away from me into a curtain (splitting my yard) and a plant. It hit the plant and the curtain, once it did so, the motors have stopped and it fell onto the ground belly side up. The battery came out as well. I picked it up and put the battery back in, turned on and it didn't throw any errors. I took it home, cleaned it, and checked the props. They are mostly fine except 1 which has got the tips' color scratched off. Is it possible that is one out of balance/ should i throw it away? I tried flying with the drone with both stock props and the 8331 ones. Still got the gimbal shake error, but the aircraft kept flying nicely with both.
The drone itself is scratched badly above the DJI logo on the back. Is there any chance the aircraft has been severely mechanically damaged? The motors turn nicely, only thing i noticed that one of the whole arms with motor isn't exactly in the same position as the other one (in the back), but thats most likely the design to keep the torque spread evenly.
Thanks a lot.
Dave
2018-5-14
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Where did you get the new props?  Probably fake from the sound of it.  I would get my money back if possible and not fly till you get some new certified DJI props.  
If they were certified DJI props it sounds like one or more was not installed correctly.  Possibly one was loose or the right props not on correct motors.  
2018-5-14
Use props
DaveTheNewb
lvl.2

Czechia

SparksBird Posted at 2018-5-14 11:47
Where did you get the new props?  Probably fake from the sound of it.  I would get my money back if possible and not fly till you get some new certified DJI props.  
If they were certified DJI props it sounds like one or more was not installed correctly.  Possibly one was loose or the right props not on correct motors.

The crash isnt related with the props. Most likely radio interference or burst of a strong wind.
These are the props i got:
2018-5-14
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

Your gimbal should not shake and should not get an error.  I installed the sames props on my MP and no issues what so ever.  If it was shaking then something was not right, not installed properly or a damaged prop.  As far as the flyaway did you ensure your home point was updated and had GPS before taking off?  How windy was it?
2018-5-14
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

Also I highly suggest downloading the UAV Forecast app.  Is a very good app that shows the conditions so you can know before flying.
2018-5-14
Use props
DaveTheNewb
lvl.2

Czechia

SparksBird Posted at 2018-5-14 12:11
Your gimbal should not shake and should not get an error.  I installed the sames props on my MP and no issues what so ever.  If it was shaking then something was not right, not installed properly or a damaged prop.  As far as the flyaway did you ensure your home point was updated and had GPS before taking off?  How windy was it?

I was thinking that some of the props could be unbalanced, they are made using mold, so maybe few pieces in a batch are bad, i've read about people who get such an issue with these and MP. I have refreshed the firmware today and i will try tomorrow. The shake goes away after few minutes in the air, sometimes it's there after the takeoff, sometimes it's not.
As for the flyaway, i had GPS signal one notch under maximum. When i took off, it wasn't windy at all, when the drone crashed, it was windy, but it didn't give me any warning on the screen, i'd say around 8-10m/s (24-30ft/s).
Drone has crashed about 2.5m (8ft) away from the takeoff (home) point.
2018-5-14
Use props
DaveTheNewb
lvl.2

Czechia

SparksBird Posted at 2018-5-14 12:14
Also I highly suggest downloading the UAV Forecast app.  Is a very good app that shows the conditions so you can know before flying.

Okay, i'll download it right away, thanks.
2018-5-14
Use props
DaveTheNewb
lvl.2

Czechia

I can see you have great amount of experience, don't you know if there is a way to run some kinda diagnostics on the drone's systems?  Maybe calibrating the IMUs, Compass etc.?
Thanks a lot.
2018-5-14
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes buy new props if they have ANY damage at all. DO not ever fly with damaged props.
Think about it this way... $20 props / $1K drone. Worth risking it over $20?
2018-5-14
Use props
DaveTheNewb
lvl.2

Czechia

Alright, i'll order a new pair to replace the damaged one. Thanks.
2018-5-14
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Need to determine whether Gimbal is shaking because whole drone is shaking or Gimbal is shaking on its own.

Perhaps you can set drone on a stable surface, power it up and record video without props spinning to see whether Gimbal shakes on its own.

Another possible way is to film drone nose first, hovering with no wind.  Review that video to see if entire drone is shaking or only Gimbal.  
If you don't have another video device, you could have drone do a selfie; by hovering it in front of a mirror.
2018-5-14
Use props
DaveTheNewb
lvl.2

Czechia

When the rotors are spinning on the ground or just on the ground without rotors, nothing shakes.
Shaking starts when the drone is in the air. I'll try to record it tomorrow with my phone. Thanks for the tip
2018-5-14
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

DaveTheNewb Posted at 2018-5-14 12:51
When the rotors are spinning on the ground or just on the ground without rotors, nothing shakes.
Shaking starts when the drone is in the air. I'll try to record it tomorrow with my phone. Thanks for the tip

What I would do is Calibrate your IMU.  I did after I replaced my stock props with the 8331's.  I would do this regardless.  Then also do a gimbal calibration.  The compass really no need unless it tells you in the app to do this.  

when you hover and it shakes does it stay level or does it drift?  
2018-5-14
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-14 12:39
Need to determine whether Gimbal is shaking because whole drone is shaking or Gimbal is shaking on its own.

Perhaps you can set drone on a stable surface, power it up and record video without props spinning to see whether Gimbal shakes on its own.

Great advice here.  He is truly experienced here and would do this.
2018-5-14
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

DaveTheNewb Posted at 2018-5-14 12:32
I can see you have great amount of experience, don't you know if there is a way to run some kinda diagnostics on the drone's systems?  Maybe calibrating the IMUs, Compass etc.?
Thanks a lot.

If you post the flight log here:  http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/  and then paste the link to it back in this thread maybe one of us can help.
2018-5-14
Use props
DaveTheNewb
lvl.2

Czechia

SparksBird Posted at 2018-5-14 12:56
What I would do is Calibrate your IMU.  I did after I replaced my stock props with the 8331's.  I would do this regardless.  Then also do a gimbal calibration.  The compass really no need unless it tells you in the app to do this.  

when you hover and it shakes does it stay level or does it drift?

I'll calibrate it tomorrow, both.
It drifts 1-2 inches into each direction, don't know if thats a lot or not.
Did you keep the 8331 on the aircraft while calibrating?
2018-5-14
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

DaveTheNewb Posted at 2018-5-14 13:14
I'll calibrate it tomorrow, both.
It drifts 1-2 inches into each direction, don't know if thats a lot or not.
Did you keep the 8331 on the aircraft while calibrating?

I had them on.  I would follow this.  Also when you look at your IMU in the app it should show green.  What does your show?

2018-5-14
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

DaveTheNewb Posted at 2018-5-14 12:51
When the rotors are spinning on the ground or just on the ground without rotors, nothing shakes.

Idling props would not induce much of any shake on a slightly out of balanced prop(s).  

Going with Liveview from Camera / Gimbal is stable on ground with props idling, vs. shaking when in air and props spinning enough for flight, that would point to an unbalanced prop(s).
2018-5-14
Use props
DaveTheNewb
lvl.2

Czechia

SparksBird Posted at 2018-5-14 13:17
I had them on.  I would follow this.  Also when you look at your IMU in the app it should show green.  What does your show?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guD8qFRRv-c

I'll post all of my stats tomorrow. It's really late here, i need to go get some sleep
2018-5-14
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi Dave, I'm sorry to hear about the accident. Please kindly contact our support to start a case and send it in for full diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support. If the drone is still in warranty period, the local team will arrange data analysis after they received the package.
2018-5-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dodgy props     
2018-5-15
Use props
DaveTheNewb
lvl.2

Czechia

You think so? I dunno, if they were, they could be one of the factors of the crash.
It seemed to me at the racetrack like the wind resitance has went down quite a bit with the new props
2018-5-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DaveTheNewb Posted at 2018-5-15 01:44
You think so? I dunno, if they were, they could be one of the factors of the crash.
It seemed to me at the racetrack like the wind resitance has went down quite a bit with the new props

It's a possibility from looking at a screen
2018-5-15
Use props
DaveTheNewb
lvl.2

Czechia

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-5-15 01:23
Hi Dave, I'm sorry to hear about the accident. Please kindly contact our support to start a case and send it in for full diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support. If the drone is still in warranty period, the local team will arrange data analysis after they received the package.

Hi, thank you for the advice. I have already contacted the support in the morning around 10AM. If i can ask, how much should i expect to pay for such a diagnostic check?
Thank you very much
2018-5-15
Use props
DaveTheNewb
lvl.2

Czechia

SparksBird Posted at 2018-5-14 13:17
I had them on.  I would follow this.  Also when you look at your IMU in the app it should show green.  What does your show?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guD8qFRRv-c

Seems fine, i calibrated the gimbal, i think the IMU is fine.
2018-5-15
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

DaveTheNewb Posted at 2018-5-15 05:55
[view_image]
Seems fine, i calibrated the gimbal, i think the IMU is fine.

Then I would replace the props.  I always ensure I have two full sets ready to go if need be.  I would not fly it again with those props.  
2018-5-15
Use props
DaveTheNewb
lvl.2

Czechia

SparksBird Posted at 2018-5-15 06:26
Then I would replace the props.  I always ensure I have two full sets ready to go if need be.  I would not fly it again with those props.

Damn, i won't be even able to RMA them since they're scratched
Maybe i'll just replace 2.Thanks
2018-5-15
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

DaveTheNewb Posted at 2018-5-15 06:29
Damn, i won't be even able to RMA them since they're scratched
Maybe i'll just replace 2.Thanks

Try replacing two and see if you have same issue.  Then if same swap the other two props and see.
2018-5-15
Use props
DaveTheNewb
lvl.2

Czechia

SparksBird Posted at 2018-5-15 06:47
Try replacing two and see if you have same issue.  Then if same swap the other two props and see.

Yeah, i'll do exactly that.
I didn't even post the damage of the drone, what do you think, should i get the plastic shell replaced/can it affect the flight (aerodynamics)?
Thanks
2018-5-15
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

DaveTheNewb Posted at 2018-5-15 06:57
Yeah, i'll do exactly that.
I didn't even post the damage of the drone, what do you think, should i get the plastic shell replaced/can it affect the flight (aerodynamics)?[view_image]
Thanks

Those scratches should not effect the flight at all.
2018-5-15
Use props
DaveTheNewb
lvl.2

Czechia

Okay so this is a video of the gimbal shake. I recalibrated the IMU, gimbal, refreshed the firmware and tried even factory reset.
I will RMA the propellers for making the drone shake, if it doesnt help, i'll send it to DJI to run the diagnostics and check on the shake issues.
Google Drive
2018-5-15
Use props
METROID
lvl.3
Flight distance : 105741 ft
Russia

Sorry for a short offtopic, but are the bigger green lines - the better?

2018-5-15
Use props
DaveTheNewb
lvl.2

Czechia

Nope, longer is worse, but they're still green, so fine.
2018-5-15
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

DaveTheNewb Posted at 2018-5-15 08:25
Okay so this is a video of the gimbal shake. I recalibrated the IMU, gimbal, refreshed the firmware and tried even factory reset.
I will RMA the propellers for making the drone shake, if it doesnt help, i'll send it to DJI to run the diagnostics and check on the shake issues.
Google Drive

I saw a video before that will help you determine what prop is bad.  Ill find it here in a few.
2018-5-15
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

DaveTheNewb Posted at 2018-5-15 08:25
I will RMA the propellers for making the drone shake, if it doesnt help, i'll send it to DJI to run the diagnostics and check on the shake issues.
Google Drive

This will tell you what prop is bad.  

Got the video link thanks to Suren in a thread here.  https://forum.dji.com/thread-145192-1-1.html

I am sure at least one of the props is your issue.  You may have more than one bad prop and probably why the bad shake.  
2018-5-15
Use props
DaveTheNewb
lvl.2

Czechia

SparksBird Posted at 2018-5-15 09:29
This will tell you what prop is bad.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52N9Lfa0USI

Got the video link thanks to Suren in a thread here.  https://forum.dji.com/thread-145192-1-1.html

Thanks, thats really helpful, i'll try it out.
I also noticed these rear arms being a bit out of whack, but it seems like its the geometry of the arms (??).
2018-5-15
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

DaveTheNewb Posted at 2018-5-15 09:36
Thanks, thats really helpful, i'll try it out.
I also noticed these rear arms being a bit out of whack, but it seems like its the geometry of the arms (??).[view_image]

Place your MP down flat with the legs extended and measure the distance from ground to each arm.  Should be the same.  From the pic it seems like the back right one is a little higher than the left.  
2018-5-15
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

Can you zoom in on the highlighted area and take a upclose pic.  Seems it might be bent a little up therefore causing the leg to sit higher due to the pressure when flying.  May not show this on the ground.
Newb.JPG
2018-5-15
Use props
DaveTheNewb
lvl.2

Czechia

SparksBird Posted at 2018-5-15 09:43
Can you zoom in on the highlighted area and take a upclose pic.  Seems it might be bent a little up therefore causing the leg to sit higher due to the pressure when flying.  May not show this on the ground.

I'll take a photos, but from quick measurment, the higher leg is 1mm higher than the other one. Your mavic has them 100% even?
A minute or two and i'll post more photos
2018-5-15
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

DaveTheNewb Posted at 2018-5-15 09:51
I'll take a photos, but from quick measurment, the higher leg is 1mm higher than the other one. Your mavic has them 100% even?
A minute or two and i'll post more photos

Yup mine are even and if that measurement is with the motors off on ground i\t could be more when motors going.  Reason being is when extended and on pressure is on that part forcing it up and that notch is what is holding the leg down.  
2018-5-15
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules