Mavic Air Multiple Stuck Pixels, is there a software fix for this?
3278 11 2018-5-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Q24H
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

So I've actually put in a repair request for this issue, this is for a new Mavic Air that I just got last week. All things considered, a great drone! I've flown indoors a few times just testing all the functionalities before I try flying it outdoors, and much to my disappointment I found 2 stuck pixels right near the middle... This is only apparent when I'm filming in 48/50/60 fps under 2.7k/1080p/720p modes, its not visible while filming 4k or anything less than 30 fps. I've added the video below (Watch in hi-res):

So I do want to confirm with DJI chat in the morning before I send back the drone, on exactly what they want me to sent back and that this replacement is infact covered under the 15 day replacement period. In the mean time I want to know if there's a known fix for this, as it's only in some modes but not others... I've attempted to reset camera/gimbal... And the firmware is freshly installed after I got the drone. Anyways just want to know if anyone was able to fix it, or is getting a replacement the only way to go.

Thanks in advance!

2018-5-14
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, I'm so sorry to hear about the issue that you are experiencing. Could you please restart the drone and the remote controller, make sure the firmware are the latest one, then change a mobile device to try it again, after all the troubleshooting, if still no good luck, then you are recommended to contact our support to start a case from the website: https://www.dji.com/support.
2018-5-14
Use props
Q24H
lvl.1
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-5-14 19:08
Hi, I'm so sorry to hear about the issue that you are experiencing. Could you please restart the drone and the remote controller, make sure the firmware are the latest one, then change a mobile device to try it again, after all the troubleshooting, if still no good luck, then you are recommended to contact our support to start a case from the website: https://www.dji.com/support.

Thanks for the reply! Was just hoping to get lucky with an obvious quick fix, until I get to chat with support tomorrow.

Unfortunately I did try all of the above, I've had several indoor flights while noticing the problem intermittently, but I was able to narrow it down to the video quality settings. I get the same hot pixels in my footage with both a tablet and an android phone.
2018-5-14
Use props
Jim_Ball
lvl.3
Flight distance : 49754 ft
Australia

Q24H Posted at 2018-5-14 19:28
Thanks for the reply! Was just hoping to get lucky with an obvious quick fix, until I get to chat with support tomorrow.

Unfortunately I did try all of the above, I've had several indoor flights while noticing the problem intermittently, but I was able to narrow it down to the video quality settings. I get the same hot pixels in my footage with both a tablet and an android phone.

This seems most likely a camera sensor problem.
2018-5-14
Use props
METROID
lvl.3
Flight distance : 105741 ft
Russia

I'm pretty sure if you zoom your 4k vids you will see those dead pixels, it is a sensor/matrix problem.
2018-5-15
Use props
Q24H
lvl.1
United States

METROID Posted at 2018-5-15 00:08
I'm pretty sure if you zoom your 4k vids you will see those dead pixels, it is a sensor/matrix problem.

Surprisingly that wasn't the case, no matter how much I zoom in I don't see them, it's also invisible when taking stills. I believe there are some firmware level correction built into 30fps and 24fps to delete hot pixels, but it doesn't work or is turned off when using high FPS. I also found someone else with the same exact problem as me on this forum. https://forum.dji.com/thread-138516-1-1.html

In any case chat support told me replacement case can be started, but I needed to email them instead due to website upgrades, I sent the email so we'll see.
2018-5-15
Use props
METROID
lvl.3
Russia

Q24H, can you provide a 4k sample via dropbox or similar?
2018-5-15
Use props
Q24H
lvl.1
United States

METROID Posted at 2018-5-15 08:48
Q24H, can you provide a 4k sample via dropbox or similar?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5na1h ... UQ5sAh7_rVzfYwFlU4a

Those footage are straight out of the camera, under similar test conditions. The hot pixels shows up in 48-60fps only, but not in 30 or 120fps, If they are in 4k I can't see it.

2018-5-15
Use props
METROID
lvl.3
Russia

Hmm, it seems that noise reduction algos are tempering with different video modes. We need to hear the DJI's opinion on this.
You can also try to shoot a still dark videos and play with Sharpness style settings, someone told that +1 Sharpness already disable noise reduction.
2018-5-15
Use props
Q24H
lvl.1
United States

METROID Posted at 2018-5-15 14:22
Hmm, it seems that noise reduction algos are tempering with different video modes. We need to hear the DJI's opinion on this.
You can also try to shoot a still dark videos and play with Sharpness style settings, someone told that +1 Sharpness already disable noise reduction.

The sharpness trick didnt work, but thanks for helping. I noticed going from 30fps to 60fps the view is cropped, so both being 2.7k it's still totally different modes...

I'm waiting on my shipping label, but I am considering not going ahead with the replacement after all, as after some more reading I've noticed this under the after sales policy:

Replacement products or parts provided by DJI may not be new,

I find that to be rather unacceptable but have noticed DJI does not make exceptions based on other threads. Not sure I want to deal with the hassel and all at this point.
2018-5-18
Use props
Sudo911
lvl.2
Flight distance : 486545 ft
Ireland

You're one of the lucky ones... found the same stuck pixel on my Mavic 2 Pro but it only showed up on my 1st night time shot... outside the 15 days and I was put off too by the small print and the fact they want to charge for a repair rather than a warranty replacement (have care pack too). A killer now as its really annoying seeing it on the video after recording at night.

2018-11-29
Use props
Scuderia Rimoli
lvl.2
Flight distance : 922182 ft
Brazil

Hello guys, just noticed the same issue (a lot of dead pixels on dark scenes, maybe more than 20 white pixels) on my replacement product from DJI. Any news on how to solve or what to do? Thanks!
2020-2-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules