1669 25 2018-5-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ok guys and gals...  here are all of the disclaimers...  

I'm still a  new pilot.  Mavic Air is officially 1 month old today. (i've never flown before owning this)
This is the first time I've ever edited a video.  I've always been behind the camera or the mixboard for live shows

I've got really thick skin. I don't offend easily.  Let me know what you think.

2018-5-14
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Nice video, one tip when videoing the ocean tap to focus on the horizon, keeps the whole picture in focus.
2018-5-14
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Nice shot, congrats on your first edited video, looking forward to seeing more works from you.
2018-5-14
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Suren Posted at 2018-5-14 19:32
Nice video, one tip when videoing the ocean tap to focus on the horizon, keeps the whole picture in focus.

thanks.  I didn't think i had to tap to focus on the Mavic Air.  it is supposed to keep the whole frame in focus all the time.  I did notice a few soft spots.

Thanks!
2018-5-14
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-5-14 19:42
Nice shot, congrats on your first edited video, looking forward to seeing more works from you.

Thanks a lot.  There will be more... i just need to find the right editing software.
2018-5-14
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Congrats and nice first video.
2018-5-14
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft

Very well done. For someone so new, you did a great job.  I've been doing a lot of reading on videography, and I'll share one thing that I read that has really impacted the way I approach my own videos.  The advice was to challenge every scene in your video and ask yourself, "Would my video be worse if I removed this?"  If the answer was "no", then cut that scene.   That has resulted in my cutting out tons of clips and shortening others.  I now shoot about 30 minutes of scenes to get a final 3 minute video.   So, applying that to your video, I would have cut about half of that roller coaster section.  Besides that one thing, everything else looked just great to me.  Anyway, just a suggestion - hope you don't mind.
2018-5-14
Use props
Hurley1718
First Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

Everyone here has made some great suggestions and one tip I can give is research the hell out of YouTube. That will help you out a lot. Plus just keep flying and practicing. Off to a great start.
2018-5-14
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cool vid      
2018-5-14
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-5-14 21:05
Very well done. For someone so new, you did a great job.  I've been doing a lot of reading on videography, and I'll share one thing that I read that has really impacted the way I approach my own videos.  The advice was to challenge every scene in your video and ask yourself, "Would my video be worse if I removed this?"  If the answer was "no", then cut that scene.   That has resulted in my cutting out tons of clips and shortening others.  I now shoot about 30 minutes of scenes to get a final 3 minute video.   So, applying that to your video, I would have cut about half of that roller coaster section.  Besides that one thing, everything else looked just great to me.  Anyway, just a suggestion - hope you don't mind.

Great advice. I followed it and here is my video.
Did you just see it?
Short wasn't it. Editing is so easy now.
Thanks.
Ha ha!
2018-5-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

3-D Posted at 2018-5-14 19:51
thanks.  I didn't think i had to tap to focus on the Mavic Air.  it is supposed to keep the whole frame in focus all the time.  I did notice a few soft spots.

Thanks!

As far as I know, the Air does not need to focus
2018-5-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Suren Posted at 2018-5-14 19:32
Nice video, one tip when videoing the ocean tap to focus on the horizon, keeps the whole picture in focus.

I believe the Air is fixed focus.
2018-5-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice video.
You will have a lot of fun with the Air
(and so will we watching your work).
2018-5-15
Use props
sky6105
Second Officer
Flight distance : 345653 ft
United States

Cool video, But the bass was to overwhelming for me.

Safe flying.
2018-5-15
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

sky6105 Posted at 2018-5-15 00:33
Cool video, But the bass was to overwhelming for me.

Safe flying.

Thanks.  I'm kind of a hip hop head, so the beat of the song is kinda what drew me in.  But i understand about the bass.

I appreciate the feedback!
2018-5-15
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-5-14 21:05
Very well done. For someone so new, you did a great job.  I've been doing a lot of reading on videography, and I'll share one thing that I read that has really impacted the way I approach my own videos.  The advice was to challenge every scene in your video and ask yourself, "Would my video be worse if I removed this?"  If the answer was "no", then cut that scene.   That has resulted in my cutting out tons of clips and shortening others.  I now shoot about 30 minutes of scenes to get a final 3 minute video.   So, applying that to your video, I would have cut about half of that roller coaster section.  Besides that one thing, everything else looked just great to me.  Anyway, just a suggestion - hope you don't mind.

Thank you.  That is very good advice, and i'll keep it in mind.  And yeah, with that in mind i really could have taken out most of the rollercoaster.  A quick fly by would have been enough.
Oh, and just for reference, I had about an hour of footage that i clipped down to that 3 minutes.  If it wasn't raining so much, I would have actually taken more.  
Thanks!
2018-5-15
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Hurley1718 Posted at 2018-5-14 21:56
Everyone here has made some great suggestions and one tip I can give is research the hell out of YouTube. That will help you out a lot. Plus just keep flying and practicing. Off to a great start.

Thanks a lot.  I looked at the Creator Studio in YouTube, but i had to do the editing offline and then upload the end result.  I'm still in Daytona, at a hotel, so the upload speed is horrendous.  i would still be uploading video, only to have to cut it down after the fact.

I'll spend some more time researching editing tools until i find the right one.  That was done with iMovie.
Stop laughing.
2018-5-15
Use props
Bruno Rook
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4523671 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Nice video !
2018-5-19
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thanks Bruno!
2018-5-20
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

nice shot !
2018-6-20
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thanks!  

apparently that roller coaster derailed last week!
2018-6-20
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

3-D Posted at 2018-6-20 04:22
Thanks!  

apparently that roller coaster derailed last week!

you are welcome ! keep it up
2018-6-20
Use props
dronto
Second Officer
Singapore

nice work!
2018-7-7
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

thanks a lot!  I appreciate it!
2018-7-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

The video is really good, and great first attempt at edit. The whole subject was interesting and music was well suited.

So if you ok with mentioning were you might improve. Well there is actually very little, most you will figure for yourself. One thing resisting the temptation to move the drone on to another line even small change , becomes very noticeable.
Flying straight lines is not easy particularly in normal mode, tripod can help but is pretty slow, but can be speeded up in post.
One thing that will make your drone keep the straight line is simple tap fly, just touch the screen where you want it to go and that’s what it will do, you can set the speed change the altitude while flying and have full control of the gimbal, you won’t see any strange movements and makes for really good footage.
It’s easy mastered, but when you move on to tap fly free, this will give you the most cinematic shots. And both a very simple to use.

Good luck with the next one.
2018-7-7
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-7-7 05:03
The video is really good, and great first attempt at edit. The whole subject was interesting and music was well suited.

So if you ok with mentioning were you might improve. Well there is actually very little, most you will figure for yourself. One thing resisting the temptation to move the drone on to another line even small change , becomes very noticeable.

Thanks 007.  I haven't used the tap fly function yet.  I'll need to try that.  As I have so much to learn.  I'll always listen to ways i might improve.  

Thanks again!  hopefully i'll be able to put this video of my Atlanta trip together soon.  
2018-7-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules