12Next >
4770 50 2018-5-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
IamWedge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 321398 ft
United States

The new P4P V2.0 showed up at 9:30 this morning. I set the box in the kitchen. I had intensions of getting to it right away. My honey to do list had a few things I needed to take care of first. About 5 hours later I finally called the insurance company to get the drone insured. State Farm quotes me $28 for the year. I said that doesnt sound right. I was figuring $60-90 (USD). She told me that whatthe underwriter told her. She called me back 5 minutes later after she started writing in up. Yes you were right its $60. Their software caught that. So I get home unbox it then add the DJI Care refresh. Yes, I doubled up. Im not paying for another lost drone. So they can cover that. DJI can cover anything else. I stopped by Best buy and picked up another 128Gb Extreme card to replace the one that is gone. Wouldnt you know it..... I couldnt help myslef and bought another Battery. So Ive got 4 batteries total. Plenty of flight time....right? I'll end up getting one more battery later. 4 can sit in their slots in the case and one in the drone. Perfect!
Ill get the Compass and the rest of the settings done in the morning. I kno wi have some running around to do in the early afternoon. Then.......Its flight time!!!

2018-5-14
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Hey, don't calibrate the compass, there is no need to do it. Current thinking (even from DJI) says to leave it alone. Don't even try to update the software/firmware. If it nags you to update, ignore it because it should fly perfectly well straight out of the box.
2018-5-14
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Congrats and good luck on the first flight - always best to be insured to the hilt!     
2018-5-14
Use props
IamWedge
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-5-14 22:39
Hey, don't calibrate the compass, there is no need to do it. Current thinking (even from DJI) says to leave it alone. Don't even try to update the software/firmware. If it nags you to update, ignore it because it should fly perfectly well straight out of the box.

Oh its going to get calibrated. Being the last time it was calibrated was over in China.
2018-5-14
Use props
IamWedge
lvl.4
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-5-14 22:40
Congrats and good luck on the first flight - always best to be insured to the hilt!

I think I learned my lesson on my P4P. One can never have too much protection.
2018-5-14
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

IamWedge Posted at 2018-5-14 23:27
I think I learned my lesson on my P4P. One can never have too much protection.

Very true     
2018-5-15
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

IamWedge Posted at 2018-5-14 23:26
Oh its going to get calibrated. Being the last time it was calibrated was over in China.

Fine, you don't appear to understand the need for calibration.
2018-5-15
Use props
Just_nick
lvl.4

Geebax Posted at 2018-5-15 15:47

I can calibrate on a metal surface and not get a compass calibration notification, but it certainly won't be a happy camper in the air. It's only going to really hurt him if he calibrates it with magnetic interference present, otherwise he doesn't appear to necessarily want to do it with unnecessary frequency.
2018-5-15
Use props
IamWedge
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-5-15 15:47

All Calibrated. I do understand how important the calibration is. Being its a feature offered to us in the program. I'm gonna use it. I want to make sure I did it. Its just like when you take your car to a shop and they adjust your timing. When I get home. Im going to check their work. If the timing isnt where I want it...... then im going to adjust it.
2018-5-15
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Smart move. It was along trip rom China nd 180 degrees out. Doing the Compass Calibration will steady things up.
2018-5-15
Use props
BKendrew
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Hope your enjoying the P4P2. I got one Monday.  I did do a firmware update in the P4 as well as Googles RE. I flew about 5 or 6 batteries no problems.  Used the googles and quality is way better than P4P where your stuck with 720P via cable.  Quality over googles on par with Mavic Pro. The wider angle of the P4PV2 is very nice.  Wish DJI would add pinch zoom like MP. I like zooming to confirm distant shots. The connection to the P4PV2 was stable. I use and iPadPro 9.6 with the A10X. I only went out about 1000ft at max alt.  I think my P4P connection is more robust as the V2 kicked off signal a few times.  This rarely happens on the V1, and at 2 plus the distance. See what the next few fights do. I used some of my P4PV1 batteries.  The did flag for update when plugged into the V2. After the worked normally.

Anyone have thoughts on the new propellers.  I think the noise level in the 15K+ Hz is lower, however to me its louder on the lower end, say under 1K Hz. I believe I can hear it more clearly at distance.  This would go with my theory that noise is up on the lower frequency as lower frequency travels farther.

Anyone got an oscope, microphone, and some time to measure?
2018-5-15
Use props
IamWedge
lvl.4
United States

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-5-15 17:09
Smart move. It was along trip rom China nd 180 degrees out. Doing the Compass Calibration will steady things up.

Copy that Rodger8. Better safe, than sorry!
2018-5-15
Use props
IamWedge
lvl.4
United States

BKendrew Posted at 2018-5-15 17:54
Hope your enjoying the P4P2. I got one Monday.  I did do a firmware update in the P4 as well as Googles RE. I flew about 5 or 6 batteries no problems.  Used the googles and quality is way better than P4P where your stuck with 720P via cable.  Quality over googles on par with Mavic Pro. The wider angle of the P4PV2 is very nice.  Wish DJI would add pinch zoom like MP. I like zooming to confirm distant shots. The connection to the P4PV2 was stable. I use and iPadPro 9.6 with the A10X. I only went out about 1000ft at max alt.  I think my P4P connection is more robust as the V2 kicked off signal a few times.  This rarely happens on the V1, and at 2 plus the distance. See what the next few fights do. I used some of my P4PV1 batteries.  The did flag for update when plugged into the V2. After the worked normally.

Anyone have thoughts on the new propellers.  I think the noise level in the 15K+ Hz is lower, however to me its louder on the lower end, say under 1K Hz. I believe I can hear it more clearly at distance.  This would go with my theory that noise is up on the lower frequency as lower frequency travels farther.

BKendrew  I was thinking about buying a set of RE Goggles as well how do you like them? As for the props, I've seen a few test with decibel measuring, Im not sure about frequency shifts though.
2018-5-15
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

To be honest, i too would do a compass calibration 1st time out of the box, it is a long way from China to the UK (and USA) and a big difference re long/lat location
2018-5-15
Use props
IamWedge
lvl.4
United States

Bashy Posted at 2018-5-15 20:19
To be honest, i too would do a compass calibration 1st time out of the box, it is a long way from China to the UK (and USA) and a big difference re long/lat location

You got that right.  Look at the difference in magnetic declination and the field strength.
Duluth, MN
Magnetic declination: -1° 1'
Declination is NEGATIVE (WEST)
Inclination: 72° 45'
Magnetic field strength: 55814.7 nT

Shenzhen, China
Magnetic declination: -2° 55'
Declination is NEGATIVE (WEST)
Inclination: 33° 50'
Magnetic field strength: 45350.4 nT
2018-5-15
Use props
Aerial-Image
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I too would also do a compass calibration 1st time, I did with my P4P it had issues before I did and was perfect afterwards.
2018-5-15
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

IamWedge Posted at 2018-5-15 22:01
You got that right.  Look at the difference in magnetic declination and the field strength.
Duluth, MN

Sigh. The compass calibration has nothing to do with magnetic variance. It is urban myth mumbo jumbo.

2018-5-15
Use props
Aerial-Image
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sorry mine was  - ! Its been perfect ever since (6 months), it was not before.
2018-5-15
Use props
IamWedge
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-5-15 22:29
Sigh. The compass calibration has nothing to do with magnetic variance. It is urban myth mumbo jumbo.

Oh like a flat earth. LOL

DJI states......
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=14103&pid=116573&fromuid=1557974

Good enough for me.

2018-5-15
Use props
IamWedge
lvl.4
United States

Aerial-Image Posted at 2018-5-15 22:33
Sorry mine was  - ! Its been perfect ever since (6 months), it was not before.

How true. Im sure if I went farther up in Northern Minnesota I was see a change in magnetic fields due to the large amount of Iron Ore.
2018-5-15
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

IamWedge Posted at 2018-5-15 23:15

DJI states......

Whatever. That thread is dated in 2015 and the aircraft of choice was a P2. DJI do not even believe that stuff anymore. But I am done, believe whatever claptrap you like.
2018-5-16
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

IamWedge Posted at 2018-5-15 23:15

DJI states......

I can't see anything in that three year old link where 'DJI states'

However on page 57 of your P4 Pro V2 Manual, DJI quite clearly state:-

Untitled - Copy.jpg
2018-5-16
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

IamWedge Posted at 2018-5-15 15:56
All Calibrated. I do understand how important the calibration is. Being its a feature offered to us in the program. I'm gonna use it. I want to make sure I did it. Its just like when you take your car to a shop and they adjust your timing. When I get home. Im going to check their work. If the timing isnt where I want it...... then im going to adjust it.

Its just like when you take your car to a shop and they adjust your timing

Staying with your car comparison:
What you are doing is taking a brand new car from the dealership straight to the shop
and asking them to adjust all settings.
2018-5-16
Use props
Dublinphantom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1033222 ft
  • >>>
United States

question: Whether to do or not to do the compass calibration. Even if it isn't necessary at any particular moment, what is the actual harm in doing it? Surely its just a peace of mind thing knowing its done... just in case?
2018-5-16
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

Dublinphantom Posted at 2018-5-16 03:46
question: Whether to do or not to do the compass calibration. Even if it isn't necessary at any particular moment, what is the actual harm in doing it? Surely its just a peace of mind thing knowing its done... just in case?

There have been many posts over the past couple of years where a bad calibration has led to loss of control of aircraft (by pilot, not loss of signal) resulting in a crash or aircraft blowing away. So by not calibrating unless required, as advised by the system; you greatly reduce the chances of errors.

The calibration provides measurement to offset the affect of the materials and emissions of the aircraft itself immediately surrounding the compass. A bad calibration would be one where the 'offset' or bias measurement took into account the big steel structure behind you, or under your feet. Or the 400kV pylons or substation close by. These things that are large enough to genuinely skew the compass readings when it takes off and is no longer influenced by them.
2018-5-16
Use props
IamWedge
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-5-16 01:07
Whatever. That thread is dated in 2015 and the aircraft of choice was a P2. DJI do not even believe that stuff anymore. But I am done, believe whatever claptrap you like.

Ill believe my crap. Thank You.
2018-5-16
Use props
IamWedge
lvl.4
United States

Dublinphantom Posted at 2018-5-16 03:46

Exactly! Thanks Dublinphantom
2018-5-16
Use props
rangers95
lvl.4
Flight distance : 584695 ft
Switzerland

Pictures, or it didn't happen!!!
2018-5-16
Use props
DEUCEDOG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft
United Kingdom

Enjoy fly safe
2018-5-16
Use props
Anokadrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

new toy....yeah!!!
2018-5-16
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-5-15 17:09

Actually assuming this was calibrated in Shenzhen and depending on where in the states he is at the declination difference is likely zero or only a couple of degrees.
Meaning, no calibration is necessary and unwise, unless the system says one is required.  Geebax was absolutely correct, do not calibrate the compass unless the system requires it.  For the record due to FW updates the aircraft is now more than capable of determining if the magnetic declination is off enough that requires a calibration, versus the earlier models, thus why now they are no longer required like they once were.
2018-5-16
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Oh I wish you well, as Geebax was spot on, compass calibrations are no longer necessary unless the system is telling you it is.

Really...they supply you with this capability so it means use it...sooo, they supply you with an airbag in your vehicle how often do you use it?  They equip F16s with ejection seats, but I don't see pilots exiting the jet using that capability...seriously.  
I think it is swell that you can adjust the timing on your car, although I wonder if you are dating yourself as nearly all modern vehicles have electronic timing that can be adjusted via computer automation or precisely using a computer interface.  So short of a computer error or a tech who makes an error it should never require adjustment.  However, it is that last point that is the very reason for not performing a compass calibration, human error.  If you take a perfectly flyable bird and do an unnecessary or non-required calibration and introduce error in to the system when doing so, then who is at fault you or DJI...I'm betting you'll blame DJI.
Lastly, you cannot equate a compass or its calibration with an engine's timing or adjustment or almost anything mechanical.  In this circumstance it is about the bird's compasses, the birds design, construction, & configuration, and the earth's magnetic field (which can be locally effected by the environment such as distorted magnetic field, metal, etc.).  A compass swing on an aircraft is only performed anytime a configuration change is done or a major change has been performed such as an engine swap out or an upgrade to the electronics etc.  Otherwise, you can fly for years before a new swing (similar to a drone compass cal) is required, because it is unnecessary.  It is more likely that the earth's magnetic field drift will necessitate a swing before an aircraft requirement drives it (assuming none of the above has occurred) which means you could easily go as long as a decade or more before being required.
Fly Safe!
2018-5-16
Use props
IamWedge
lvl.4
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-5-16 22:40
Oh I wish you well, as Geebax was spot on, compass calibrations are no longer necessary unless the system is telling you it is.

Really...they supply you with this capability so it means use it...sooo, they supply you with an airbag in your vehicle how often do you use it?  They equip F16s with ejection seats, but I don't see pilots exiting the jet using that capability...seriously.  

Without getting a long drawn out explanation, let me just say this. It's MY drone, I'll do as I wish. Its pointless to argue the point. I don't tell you how to fly yours. It's your opinion. I can accept that.  
2018-5-16
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

IamWedge Posted at 2018-5-16 22:55
Without getting a long drawn out explanation, let me just say this. It's MY drone, I'll do as I wish. Its pointless to argue the point. I don't tell you how to fly yours. It's your opinion. I can accept that.

Very True...and famous last words...good luck and Fly Safe!
2018-5-16
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

IamWedge Posted at 2018-5-15 22:01
Duluth, MN

First, Google is wonderful, but if you do not really understand the science you are working with you will confuse either yourself or others or both.  All of the other data is really cool but irrelevant to the topic.  Declination is all that matters here and for only shy of 2 degrees that amounts to a nothing burger...  The magnetic field effects in Shenzhen are no different than in Duluth.  Meaning the difference and its affects are negligible; and yes, this means field strength, the difference is the difference; it just means one is slightly more detectable than the other.  However, for the doubters, the difference is 10464.3 nanoTesla = to 10.46 microTesla which is only a little bit more than an in use microwave measured at a 1 foot distance, which is hardly any great order of magnitude and has no effect on the declination.
The difference between Shenzhen and Duluth is no different than Duluth is to Wakefield, MI a mere 2 and half hours away.  Short of this discussion, I somewhat doubt you would perform a calibration for a trip that close.  However, if you did, and you do them that often, then eventually it will catch up to you for doing so.  Here’s to your luck holding out with that.
2018-5-17
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-5-16 22:17
Actually assuming this was calibrated in Shenzhen and depending on where in the states he is at the declination difference is likely zero or only a couple of degrees.
Meaning, no calibration is necessary and unwise, unless the system says one is required.  Geebax was absolutely correct, do not calibrate the compass unless the system requires it.  For the record due to FW updates the aircraft is now more than capable of determining if the magnetic declination is off enough that requires a calibration, versus the earlier models, thus why now they are no longer required like they once were.

I don't assume anything. I do a Compass calibration as soon as I get a new Drone. I also do it after any updates and go over my settings as well as some of them return to default during an update, such as RTH height. We just had an update the the Inspire 2 and DJI advised to go through all of the calibrations and especially the Compass.
2018-5-17
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-5-17 02:46
I don't assume anything. I do a Compass calibration as soon as I get a new Drone. I also do it after any updates and go over my settings as well as some of them return to default during an update, such as RTH height. We just had an update the the Inspire 2 and DJI advised to go through all of the calibrations and especially the Compass.

Shake My Head...
OK the issue wasn't about assuming anything it was a figure of speech for one, the aircraft are calibrated at the factory wherever it may be.  If you don't wish to believe that, oky doky, however, I have never calibrated mine, and in truth I have had two so neither were ever calibrated (I crashed one and it was replaced by care refresh).  To date and after two updates it still flies great just like the day it flew out of the box.  As DJI now says and Aardvark pointed out, do not perform a compass cal unless directed by the system to do so.  Lastly, don't mix apples and oranges, clearly the Inspire series is not the same as the Phantom series and what they may recommend or advise for Inspire does not automatically translate to the Phantoms.  If everyone, and especially the newbies here, keep performing unnecessary and not required calibrations then the error rate and problem threads will keep coming because of it.  As I'll tell anyone who insists on this type and course of action, good luck and may you always perform an error free compass cal, whether you need one or not.
...and yes as the wise and knowledgeable lamWedge says it's your drone to do as you want, except fly higher than 500m or on or near wherever DJI puts a yellow or red circle, other than that you can do what you want with it.
Fly Safe!
2018-5-17
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-5-17 09:35
Shake My Head...
OK the issue wasn't about assuming anything it was a figure of speech for one, the aircraft are calibrated at the factory wherever it may be.  If you don't wish to believe that, oky doky, however, I have never calibrated mine, and in truth I have had two so neither were ever calibrated (I crashed one and it was replaced by care refresh).  To date and after two updates it still flies great just like the day it flew out of the box.  As DJI now says and Aardvark pointed out, do not perform a compass cal unless directed by the system to do so.  Lastly, don't mix apples and oranges, clearly the Inspire series is not the same as the Phantom series and what they may recommend or advise for Inspire does not automatically translate to the Phantoms.  If everyone, and especially the newbies here, keep performing unnecessary and not required calibrations then the error rate and problem threads will keep coming because of it.  As I'll tell anyone who insists on this type and course of action, good luck and may you always perform an error free compass cal, whether you need one or not.
...and yes as the wise and knowledgeable lamWedge says it's your drone to do as you want, except fly higher than 500m or on or near wherever DJI puts a yellow or red circle, other than that you can do what you want with it.

I am not comparing anything. I stated that the Inspire update required a compass calibration. The point is  that some updates are major and require the calibration of certain systems. Please explain how a compass calibration will do harm to the compass. to many electrons to many times? I do not calibrate my Phantom compass each, why am I explaining this to you. take care. I made a comment to the OP and you jumped in. I did not ask you anything. I am shaking my head!
2018-5-17
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-5-17 10:15
I am not comparing anything. I stated that the Inspire update required a compass calibration. The point is  that some updates are major and require the calibration of certain systems. Please explain how a compass calibration will do harm to the compass. to many electrons to many times? I do not calibrate my Phantom compass each, why am I explaining this to you. take care. I made a comment to the OP and you jumped in. I did not ask you anything. I am shaking my head!

I believe I've made it clear that it is not about doing harm to the compass, physically, therefore I'm stating it will not harm the compass as a physical device such that it is.
What I have stated, and I am saying is that performing an unnecessary or non required calibration will open up the system to introducing error in it where none existed before.  Clearly if the system is requiring one to be completed then clearly there is a problem that requires correction, meaning performing one is necessary to try and eliminate the problem, not doing so would be worse than the chance of introducing any error in this case.
Yes, it is up to all of us to ensure that what is stated in the manual, as Aardvark pointed out, is understood by all rather than prolonging or furthering myth and urban legend.  They see someone of your status here advocating a procedure that is not necessary, so they continue to follow suit, which is counter to DJI's official guidance (depending on the system).  Now you may be the worlds foremost expert at performing and completing compass calibrations and capable of doing so error free forever.  However, the newbies are not so proficient or knowledgeable as you, and you owe it to them to ensure they understand the difference between personal technique and official procedure.  This is the only reason I am pointing this out without your permission or asking.
What folks choose based on all of this information is their choice, but hopefully they will be better informed, better prepared, and ready to take on whatever risk they feel is acceptable to them.
Fly Safe!
2018-5-17
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-5-17 10:51
I believe I've made it clear that it is not about doing harm to the compass, physically, therefore I'm stating it will not harm the compass as a physical device such that it is.
What I have stated, and I am saying is that performing an unnecessary or non required calibration will open up the system to introducing error in it where none existed before.  Clearly if the system is requiring one to be completed then clearly there is a problem that requires correction, meaning performing one is necessary to try and eliminate the problem, not doing so would be worse than the chance of introducing any error in this case.
Yes, it is up to all of us to ensure that what is stated in the manual, as Aardvark pointed out, is understood by all rather than prolonging or furthering myth and urban legend.  They see someone of your status here advocating a procedure that is not necessary, so they continue to follow suit, which is counter to DJI's official guidance (depending on the system).  Now you may be the worlds foremost expert at performing and completing compass calibrations and capable of doing so error free forever.  However, the newbies are not so proficient or knowledgeable as you, and you owe it to them to ensure they understand the difference between personal technique and official procedure.  This is the only reason I am pointing this out without your permission or asking.

I advocate it only as new like the OP posted and I said smart move. I said that from experience. FYI, the compass is a chip in the legs. When you calibrate it, it is obtains an electronic reference to North. If there was no need to do it at all or it was harmful, I am sure that the provision would not be there. I'll do mine when and where I wish. Nuff said.
2018-5-17
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules