Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is this charger safe?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jim Watkins
First Officer
Flight distance : 9132172 ft
United States

Greetings everyone,

I got one of these mobile chargers as part of a package deal when I recently bought a P4P.  Just wondering if anyone has any info on how safe/reliable this device is for use charging Phantom 4  Intelligent flight batteries.  Anyone have any advice about this charger?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DJI-Phantom-4-Car-Charger-Battery-Remote-Controller-Intelligent-Charger-Outdoor-Charging-for-DJI-Phantom-4/32812267106.html

Thanx,

--Jim Watkins
(Burbank, CA)
2018-5-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I have one just like that, and it works just fine. But it is a bit slower than the DJI one and you need to have the engine running while you charge, as it is heavy on the car battery. And it is not a 'charger', the charger is built into your flight battery and RC unit, it is just a power supply, so it will not do any damage.

2018-5-15
Use props
Jim Watkins
First Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-5-15 15:51
I have one just like that, and it works just fine. But it is a bit slower than the DJI one and you need to have the engine running while you charge, as it is heavy on the car battery. And it is not a 'charger', the charger is built into your flight battery and RC unit, it is just a power supply, so it will not do any damage.

Thanks for the info.  Very helpful.  I had been wondering whether the intelligence of intelligent flight batteries was inside the battery of the external power supply too.  

Thanks,

--Jim

2018-5-16
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Jim Watkins Posted at 2018-5-16 05:16
Thanks for the info.  Very helpful.  I had been wondering whether the intelligence of intelligent flight batteries was inside the battery of the external power supply too.  

Thanks,

Yes, they just convert the voltage from the car's 13.8 volts or whatever it is to the Phantom's 19.2 volts, so as long as they send out the right voltage there is nothing to go wrong.  I wouldn't leave it unattended since it could get quite hot and it's inbuilt fan probably isn't the most reliable fan in the world.

Even the DJI one will stop charging if the car voltage goes below around 12.5 volts, so unless your vehicle has a very large battery it will also need the engine running.

Most important thing is to make sure your DJI battery is not too hot or too cold, it should be 15 - 25 degrees for charging, don't leave it sitting in the sun.
2018-5-16
Use props
Jim Watkins
First Officer
United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2018-5-16 06:20
Yes, they just convert the voltage from the car's 13.8 volts or whatever it is to the Phantom's 19.2 volts, so as long as they send out the right voltage there is nothing to go wrong.  I wouldn't leave it unattended since it could get quite hot and it's inbuilt fan probably isn't the most reliable fan in the world.

Even the DJI one will stop charging if the car voltage goes below around 12.5 volts, so unless your vehicle has a very large battery it will also need the engine running.

Thanks,.  Let me ask you about another product that came with the bundle I got.  It's a charging station.  I haven't tried it yet and I can't see a lot of use for it since it doesn't charge any faster.  Looks like it just allows you to charge 3 simultaneously, but no faster than charging one by one.  What's your take on this thing?  https://www.amazon.com/Ultimaxx- ... eries/dp/B078K19HG9

--Jim
2018-5-16
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Jim Watkins Posted at 2018-5-16 08:51
Thanks,.  Let me ask you about another product that came with the bundle I got.  It's a charging station.  I haven't tried it yet and I can't see a lot of use for it since it doesn't charge any faster.  Looks like it just allows you to charge 3 simultaneously, but no faster than charging one by one.  What's your take on this thing?  https://www.amazon.com/Ultimaxx-Charger-Phantom-Intelligent-Batteries/dp/B078K19HG9

--Jim

Just keeps your batteries tidy and saves swapping cables around when you have more than 1 battery to charge.  I don't have one and wouldn't bother buying one, but for people who do use a lot of batteries regularly it may be quite useful.
2018-5-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Jim Watkins Posted at 2018-5-16 08:51
Thanks,.  Let me ask you about another product that came with the bundle I got.  It's a charging station.  I haven't tried it yet and I can't see a lot of use for it since it doesn't charge any faster.  Looks like it just allows you to charge 3 simultaneously, but no faster than charging one by one.  What's your take on this thing?  https://www.amazon.com/Ultimaxx-Charger-Phantom-Intelligent-Batteries/dp/B078K19HG9

--Jim

Actually Jim, it does not charge the 3 batteries simulltaneously, despite what the advertising says, because it uses the standard DJI power supply which cannot charge more than one battery at a time.
2018-5-16
Use props
marcel909
lvl.1

Bangladesh

If you are a hunting enthusiast, owning a pair of[url https://www.huntingbootspro.com/] best hunting boots[/url] is a necessity. Apart from your rifle, the right footwear is the sole gear that can improve your experience and increase your comfort while hunting. You will feel more comfortable and confident, regardless of the weather, terrain and time you spend in the outdoors hunting.

Wearing the wrong hunting boots to hunt could ruin your hunting experience. You could experience both pain and discomfort. This could limit you to terrains you can hunt and how long you can hunt for. Getting the right hunting boots is vital in order to get the most out of your hunting activity.see more https://www.huntingbootspro.com/
2018-5-18
Use props
Odan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 182913 ft

They make chargers for LiPo batteries that we use in other R/C aircraft.  I have one that will charge 6 batteries at once.  But you have to have a balancer on each battery.   I wish DJI could incorporate this into their
multi-battery charger.  I would prob get one then.
For now it's best to be around and watching batteries charging incase of fire.
I think the car charger from DJI is more for charging on-route to next shoot or so you can top off a battery while you cruse to your next fly instead of having to wait at home for the charge.
Think about it DJI....simo-charge for those of us who have 3-4-5-6-7 batteries...
2018-7-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Having an inverter for the car lighter accessories outlet is a good investment.

I even have a trickle charger on my SpYder RS-S. Ah, it’s only good for my iPad battery though. ;-)

RedHotPoker

2018-7-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Odan Posted at 2018-7-4 11:05
They make chargers for LiPo batteries that we use in other R/C aircraft.  I have one that will charge 6 batteries at once.  But you have to have a balancer on each battery.   I wish DJI could incorporate this into their
multi-battery charger.  I would prob get one then.
For now it's best to be around and watching batteries charging incase of fire.

Have you already seen these? When the price eventually drops, I will be all over one... ;-)
https://smartpowercharge.com/proddetail.php?prod=SPCP3
D14D871F-9F0D-408C-B5B1-1C335974C801.jpeg

Sweet system.. even deep cycle if you choose to. Haha

RedHotPoker

2018-7-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Comparison between smart powercharger and DJI hub.

https://smartpowercharge.com/pdf/dji_hub.pdf

RedHotPoker
2018-7-4
Use props
Odan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 182913 ft

I hope the price does come down.... It didn't say anything about  the P-4 category.....If it thinks like a P-3 could it maybe change the battery to think it's a P-3 and not work in the 4"s ???
Any thoughts ?????
2018-7-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Odan Posted at 2018-7-4 12:44
I hope the price does come down.... It didn't say anything about  the P-4 category.....If it thinks like a P-3 could it maybe change the battery to think it's a P-3 and not work in the 4"s ???
Any thoughts ?????

They make a P4 specific battery charger.

https://smartpowercharge.com/proddetail.php?prod=SPCP4
788DD2AF-17C6-4B6B-AFA7-136BCFE04A9D.jpeg

RedHotPoker
2018-7-4
Use props
Tearuup
Second Officer
Flight distance : 123763 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-7-4 13:19
They make a P4 specific battery charger.

https://smartpowercharge.com/proddetail.php?prod=SPCP4

Now that is sweet....
2018-7-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Tearuup Posted at 2018-7-5 18:10
Now that is sweet....

Yeah, but a lot of money and probably not practical unless you are doing a lot of flying and charging. For most people, buying another DJI 100W charger would then give you two batteries simultaneously at a lower price.
2018-7-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2018-7-5 18:17
Yeah, but a lot of money and probably not practical unless you are doing a lot of flying and charging. For most people, buying another DJI 100W charger would then give you two batteries simultaneously at a lower price.

Geoff, smart thinking, right there.

That’s what I did, in buying  a second DJI OEM 100w Charger. It made sense then, and it still does.
Having four intelligent flight batteries made the second charger nearly a necessity, for me.
But know too, when that Phantom 3, Smart Powercharger, goes on sale, I will definitely purchase one for myself.  ;-)

I like the fact that you could charge four intelligent flight packs, as well your device and RC, all at once. Marvellous.

RedHotPoker

2018-7-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Tearuup Posted at 2018-7-5 18:10
Now that is sweet....

Sure they are pricey, but the Phantom 2 Smart Powercharger was drastically reduced.

Surely we won’t have that long to wait for this version’s price to fall.

RedHotPoker
2018-7-5
Use props
Tearuup
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-7-5 18:17

Agreed.  Above my price point and need but still nice.
2018-7-6
Use props
Tearuup
Second Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-7-5 18:29
Sure they are pricey, but the Phantom 2 Smart Powercharger was drastically reduced.

I will watch and see if it comes in reach, and I do like it.  Maybe when my ship comes in...
2018-7-6
Use props
djordan2
First Officer
Flight distance : 79291 ft

I ended up with three of the regular DJI battery chargers.  I got one when I bought the Standard some years ago, and I got another when I got my Pro.  I don't remember where I got the third one.  But now I can actually charge three batteries at the same time.  My cousin got one of those charging stations mentioned above.  But I can charge my batteries 3 times faster with 3 separate chargers.  I think they are around $60.00 at the DJI store.
2018-7-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Tearuup Posted at 2018-7-6 06:01
I will watch and see if it comes in reach, and I do like it.  Maybe when my ship comes in...

Ship ahoy!! Haha

Hopefully, we are both still flying by then. Chuckles

I am in contact with the website, and they know we are waiting patiently...

RedHotPoker
2018-7-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

djordan2 Posted at 2018-7-6 06:10
I ended up with three of the regular DJI battery chargers.  I got one when I bought the Standard some years ago, and I got another when I got my Pro.  I don't remember where I got the third one.  But now I can actually charge three batteries at the same time.  My cousin got one of those charging stations mentioned above.  But I can charge my batteries 3 times faster with 3 separate chargers.  I think they are around $60.00 at the DJI store.

The Smart PoweCharger does all four at once, not sequentially, so I don’t see how using your three separate chargers is faster. Makes no sense. Besides what would be the point, if they weren’t charging together. No benefit, what so ever.

Four flight batteries at once, plus your other flight kit batteries.

RedHotPoker

2018-7-6
Use props
djordan2
First Officer

On the contrary my friend. My cousin is using one of those charging hubs that charges one at a time.  Not the one you have posted.  Also, I saved a lot of money. Got two of the chargers with the purchase of the drone.  I don't remember where I got the third one.  I may have purchased it for $60.00 at DJI.   He charges one at a time with his Hub, I do all three at once.  Surely you can see the benefit to that!  What is the cost of that charger?
2018-7-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

djordan2 Posted at 2018-7-6 06:58
On the contrary my friend. My cousin is using one of those charging hubs that charges one at a time.  Not the one you have posted.  Also, I saved a lot of money. Got two of the chargers with the purchase of the drone.  I don't remember where I got the third one.  I may have purchased it for $60.00 at DJI.   He charges one at a time with his Hub, I do all three at once.  Surely you can see the benefit to that!  What is the cost of that charger?

Ok, sorry, I misunderstood your example. Thanks for clarifying this point, for us.

I knew better. But have not used the Smart Powercharger yet.
If what you were saying was true, the way I understood you, it would have been a waste of money.
Watch the videos shared above, for the true way these expensive chargers cost.

You can certainly visit their website to check prices, availability and watch for the eventual prises to drop.

RedHotPoker
2018-7-6
Use props
djordan2
First Officer

No problem my friend.  Oh by the way, weren't you the one who was kidding another person on another post about running Spellcheck before you post.  Just kidding!!!
2018-7-6
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

I have the 3 + 1 charging station that simultaneously charges 3 P3 batterys and the RC in same time a single is charged by DJI power brick.

A fraction of the price of the 'Smart Multi charger' .... and does a fine job... about $40 - $50 depending on seller. Only thing it does not have a display to show voltage or mA in.

A programmable LiPo charger with LiHV mode will charge a DJI battery and show you voltage, time, mA in etc. Its settable for amps rate ...

only thing is to get it to work - you need switch on battery first.

Nigel
2018-7-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules