Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic air crashed in Opti mode
4104 11 2018-5-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jefbasa
lvl.1
Flight distance : 121654 ft
Philippines

Hi,

I need a little help. My drone mavic air crashed in salt water in opti mode.

I am flying in El Nido Palawan with no GPS available. The mavic air hover about 4 meters and start moving on its own. I cannot control anymore until it crashed the mountain and fell in salt water.

Below is my flight record. Can you please analyze this? I thought I can still control the drone even in opti mode, why did this happen?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iPSpCb68Uz7t8GJYCLkFHOoFkVkvh3R-/view?usp=drivesdk
2018-5-16
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

were you flying at night or in the dark?    opti mode should position lock itself if it has enough daylight to see the ground... it will drift if its too dark for the down facing cameras to lock onto ground positioning..

edit: reuploaded your log for you: http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/Z09XVTHJUB2NUJ19F8Q1/

looks like you had some GPS signals.  but you took off without a good lock, it was in position mode after take off, it then flipped into ATTI mode, not opti mode.. you mentioned lack of control responding.. i cant really tell you that or not, but i do see that VPS distance is missing at times, incdating either too high for a lock (4 meters isnt too high) , malfunctioning sensors or too dark out for a good lock.
2018-5-16
Use props
Jefbasa
lvl.1
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-5-16 03:16
were you flying at night or in the dark?    opti mode should position lock itself if it has enough daylight to see the ground... it will drift if its too dark for the down facing cameras to lock onto ground positioning..

It's day time. Around noon time. I was thinking it's because I am surrounded with mountains. I attached the location where I flew it.

2018-5-16
Use props
Robxxx

Poland

So why u dnt have gps signal in open space like this?
2018-5-16
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Jefbasa Posted at 2018-5-16 03:24
It's day time. Around noon time. I was thinking it's because I am surrounded with mountains. I attached the location where I flew it.

[view_image]

water can trick the VPS, the way VPS works is its using that info it sees to position lock itself.  however i flown over water many times and yet to run into this with my mavic pro.  

view your log that i reposted here: http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/Z09XVTHJUB2NUJ19F8Q1/

VPS distance keeps dropping out and you claiming ~4 meters up which is about 12 feet, the VPS should work about double or more from the ground.. up to 30 feet or so.    even if water is tricking it, it should respond to user input on RC so it may still be a valid claim to dji to replace it.   
2018-5-16
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Robxxx Posted at 2018-5-16 03:30
So why u dnt have gps signal in open space like this?

he did have some GPS signal according to his log but not much.  

GPS isn't universally covering every bit of earth evenly.. some spots with rather poor coverage of GPS all the time even without mountains in the way, just naturally less in the sky around them saturating it....
2018-5-16
Use props
Jefbasa
lvl.1
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-5-16 03:32
water can trick the VPS, the way VPS works is its using that info it sees to position lock itself.  however i flown over water many times and yet to run into this with my mavic pro.  

view your log that i reposted here: http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/Z09XVTHJUB2NUJ19F8Q1/

Thanks for your help. I didn't realize there is a page where I can upload the log files. Thank you. Before I flew I checked the app and it says opti mode. I usually take off using the stick. But in this case the stick take off don't work so I manually press the take off icon.

Looking at the log files. It has GPS on it but eventually switch to ATTI mode. Can we control the drone in ATTI mode?
2018-5-16
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Jefbasa Posted at 2018-5-16 03:42
Thanks for your help. I didn't realize there is a page where I can upload the log files. Thank you. Before I flew I checked the app and it says opti mode. I usually take off using the stick. But in this case the stick take off don't work so I manually press the take off icon.

Looking at the log files. It has GPS on it but eventually switch to ATTI mode. Can we control the drone in ATTI mode?

yes. Atti = hard as hell to control though because the drone doesn't do any compensation.  it is only keeping itself level..
2018-5-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-5-16 03:34
he did have some GPS signal according to his log but not much.  

GPS isn't universally covering every bit of earth evenly.. some spots with rather poor coverage of GPS all the time even without mountains in the way, just naturally less in the sky around them saturating it....

I think this was a simple case of not enough gps, I see in an earlier thread you were advising that it was ok to take off with very little gps. Not good advice.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &fromuid=260008
2018-5-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It looks like you didn’t wait for enough gps signal, your aircraft from the get go was unsteady, its most likely that weak signal was as a result  of surrounding environment no long or lat was recorded or homepoint, your Aircraft then went into ATTI mode it would have been hard to control, you really should wait until you see 4 bars lit up on your telemetry and this in turn will show at least 11 satellites.
It’s a tough learning curve, but I would contact dji support and start a case.
2018-5-17
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about the accident, normally, the water damaged drone is unable to be repaired, you are recommended to contact our support and provide the flight records to them, the local support team will arrange the data analysis for you if your drone still in warranty period. Please contact them and start a case from this website: https://www.dji.com/support.
2018-5-17
Use props
Jefbasa
lvl.1
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-5-17 02:02
Hi, I'm sorry to hear about the accident, normally, the water damaged drone is unable to be repaired, you are recommended to contact our support and provide the flight records to them, the local support team will arrange the data analysis for you if your drone still in warranty period. Please contact them and start a case from this website: https://www.dji.com/support.

Thank you. I just sent an email and included all the flight records and cache files in my DJI Go app folder. Hopefully I get an answer soon.
2018-5-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules