Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Air variable frame rate, dropped frames, unusable footage
12022 21 2018-5-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ZephyrAir
lvl.1

Hello. I am also having issues with footage shot on a DJI Mavic Air. The video is too choppy to be usable and suffers from constantly dropped frames.

I used the DJI GO 4 App on an iPhone 7, shooting at 3840x2160 30fps. I recorded onto a Sandisk Extreme Pro V30 A1 card. The footage looked fine while recording but does not in playback. The frame rates of the clips jump around–26.72, 27.89, 27.63, 28.73–and, again, drops frames, making the footage noticeably choppy. It appears to freeze for a split second, then jump ahead.

I have been editing footage from a Mavic Pro for the past year, and from the same shoot. The Pro has not had any of these problems.

I am wondering:
1. What's going on? Is this a firmware issue?
2. How is it possible to avoid this happening again?
3. Are there any ways to salvage the footage?

I shot in the field and had to clear cards each evening. I cannot return to the original files but the three copies backed up all the share the same issues, on all files.

My concerns are similar to this post:
https://forum.dji.com/thread-145343-1-1.html

Thanks for your help.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1E8a51H9H5sNXSzX3id6La2LRvLUTiJi-

2018-5-16
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
Flight distance : 8330174 ft
  • >>>
Canada

The file on google drive looks to be 1080P with a 25fps rate.  Definitely not the 4K original.
2018-5-16
Use props
ZephyrAir
lvl.1

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 2018-5-16 07:37
The file on google drive looks to be 1080P with a 25fps rate.  Definitely not the 4K original.

Yes, that's not the original file and the 25 fps is how it exported, with Premiere adapting to the 26.72 frame rate.
2018-5-16
Use props
METROID
lvl.4
Flight distance : 105741 ft
Russia

Retry to format your card via drone (and ExFat file system).
2018-5-16
Use props
ZephyrAir
lvl.1

Here is the original file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... I3/view?usp=sharing
2018-5-16
Use props
tarmok
Flight distance : 131001 ft
Estonia

Is this a real Sandisk Extreme Pro V30 A1 card?
Maybe fake

I use the Toshiba exceria 64GB U3 I card and slightly the same problem:
Then I bought a SanDisk Extreme V30 I U3 A1 and the same problem is even worse:

Is this normal, or do I need an even faster card for 4k?
2018-5-16
Use props
Breezer74
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20072 ft

United Kingdom

tarmok Posted at 2018-5-16 10:49
Maybe fake

Certainly not normal.  I use Sandisk Extreme 64GB U3 V30 and get perfectly smooth video with no noticeable lost frames or jumps.  I usually record 4K 30fps.
2018-5-16
Use props
METROID
lvl.4
Flight distance : 105741 ft
Russia

tarmok Posted at 2018-5-16 10:49
Maybe fake

What is your card's filesystem?
2018-5-16
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

4K 60p takes a lot of bandwidth.  Specially at 100mbps encoding.  Even at 30fps it’s still allot of bandwidth that’s one reason I stuck to Mavic Pro.. because I can use almost any high speed micro sD card on the market and not have much issues.  

I found that some microSD cards can’t briefly handle that bandwidth needed for 100mbps encoding but then they heat up and slow down enough to cause hiccuping..
2018-5-16
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

I suggest trying to shoot the video and store in the internal memory. If the issue does not exist in this file, you might need to change another SD card.
2018-5-20
Use props
TomBell79
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Experiencing the same issue with Mavic Air - it happens regardless mobile device used for control/sd card type used/internal memory - also visible while not recording too
Resulting in each clip recorded with dropped frames and showing variable - non standard frame rates:

2018-8-18
Use props
drhabach78
lvl.1

Qatar

Hi guys,
Same problem here, getting loads of dropped frames problem when shooting 4K. I had starting this problem after the latest couple firmware updates.
I am using an ultra fast SD card and sure the issue was not it as I have not seen it before. I am shooting as 4k @ 25 fps and 4K @ 30fps. the screen shot taken was for 4k@30 fps and the frames are dropped at post.
Does anyone have a clue what is the solution or what is causing this?
2019-3-14
Use props
oandre.santos
lvl.1
Portugal

I also have the same issue in 4k 24fps. If i save the footage in the internal memory I got also the same behavior. This is more notable when we do "two" movements, like going forward and move the gimbal up or down, the video smooth decrease and we can see little stops. I have my Mavic from 1 week, do you guys think this happen after firmware update?
2019-5-22
Use props
Adam_Kuzniar
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1036217 ft
Poland

Can some of you post the original files with that problem? The gdrive links are dead and I'd love to take a look.
2019-5-22
Use props
fans7f536308
lvl.1
Portugal

Adam_Kuzniar Posted at 5-22 04:24
Can some of you post the original files with that problem? The gdrive links are dead and I'd love to take a look.

Can you please try to check this one? please ignore the part that i stop the gimbal/drone(around the middle of the video). Its easy to see when i pass the bridge the lag that is present ....
https://we.tl/t-B9FAMitT6E
By the way, my sd card is a thoshiba exceria 64G xc1 3 .
2019-5-22
Use props
fans9bf9a6b4
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Adam_Kuzniar Posted at 5-22 04:24

Here's the issue I'm having. It's not an SD card issue. I've checked on 4 different SD cards and this one in particular is from the internal storage on the smart controller. I just got this back from DJI's repair shop today too, sent it in to get this exact issue fixed. Absolutely no change yet they claimed $600 in repairs.  Looks like they may just be stumped. No one on the phone will even acknowledge that this is a problem people are having.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ni3lblqz0f8a9l7/Untitled.mp4?dl=0

Mavic 2 Pro, this was shot at 4k30 yet it comes out as 1920x1088 27.19fps
2019-5-23
Use props
fansbcc06d47
lvl.1

France

Same issue here with Mavic 2 Pro, in 4K 25fps. On the file properties, it said 22.83fps and on the shot when I'm moving the gimbal we clearly see some drop of frame rate! I'm think I'm using a good SD card (SanDisk Ultra 64Gb class 10 A1..)
I don't have permission to put a link here, so I can't show you an example
2019-5-25
Use props
Adam_Kuzniar
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1036217 ft
Poland

fans7f536308 Posted at 5-22 09:47
Can you please try to check this one? please ignore the part that i stop the gimbal/drone(around the middle of the video). Its easy to see when i pass the bridge the lag that is present ....
https://we.tl/t-B9FAMitT6E
By the way, my sd card is a thoshiba exceria 64G xc1 3 .

Oh man it's so bad, I thought there could be something funky with the metadata but it really is strange.
2019-5-28
Use props
Guilherme Lehto
lvl.1

Brazil

Hello everyone, the same is happening here with my Mavic Air, I'm filming at 60 FPS, but the videos are between 9.99 FPS to 11.99 FPS. Result, I lost all the videos made that day!
The same thing happens when I record in internal memory, so I ruled out the problem with the SD card.
Does anyone know what can it be???
If anyone has an answer to this problem, I appreciate it !!!

FPS.JPG
2019-12-13
Use props
cjr888
First Officer
Flight distance : 3686988 ft
  • >>>
Czechia

Checked 4K@30 output files from my Air and they're all at 29.97fps and 100MBps.
Using Sandisk Extreme U3 V30

Regarding the issue with extremely low framerate - normally I'd say it's the defective or just slow SD card but the internal storage should be fast enough for any format available.
Was it working fine earlier or is it happening since the first use?

Anyway, I would start with removing SD card and reformatting the internal storage in DJI app camera settings (not through the computer) and try recording again.
If the issue persists, you can go with refreshing firmware through DJI Assistant 2 software on computer.

If none of options mentioned above helps, then there might be some issue with camera hardware or firmware so then there's not much other options left besides sending it for warranty repair.
2019-12-17
Use props
xfirf_
First Officer
Flight distance : 194911 ft
Germany

I had similar issues with my gopro. I fixed them by formatting the sd-card on my pc without the "fast format" option enabled. It took a while but then all issues where gone.
2019-12-18
Use props
Martin_Majewski
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26798 ft
Poland

The same issue with my DJI mini 3 pro.
2023-3-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules