Download Resource File in the FIeld? Seriously?
2232 7 2018-5-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
johnnelle
New
Flight distance : 30571 ft
United States

I drove out to a remote location to do some photography with my Phantom 3 and DJI Go would not start up because it had to "Download a Resource File."   No internet (I use a wifi Android tablet to fly) so I had to drive all the way home, attach to the internet and wait 5 minutes for the file to download.  I had just used the machine the week before and no updates were pending.

Needless to say I was not amused.  As a long time software manager I would have FIRED any programmer that was so thoughtless as to build something that randomly decides it won't run unless it connects to the internet.  Even after years of DJI disappointments this one shocked even me.  

Seriously...are you people ever going to care about user experience?
2018-5-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Ah Well, user beware, but you know, how about checking your flight kit before you leave home?
It's one of those things that happen, over night. Ah, when we are in different time zones, from our forum hosts in China. An update unexpected arrived.

Preflight, preflight check list we shall call this. Check for any app updates or mandatory firmware improvements, that will make your RC piloting experience more enjoyable. Hehe

Lesson be learned for everybody who reads this in the near and distant future, or your past, if you transgress. Haha

See you, back to the futures...when this thread gets reopened six months from now, or of a year, in the past... Snickers

RedHotPoker
2018-5-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

How was your flight after the update. You never mentioned? Grin

Obviously they care very much about the user experience, there for the ongoing helpful updates.
How long had it been since you updated your drone flight kit? Anyway, be grateful they are considerate enough to build the updated file.
There are many other drone manufacturing companies that require no firmware. Just fly them, straight out of the shipping box. Snickers

I can see how a device with Cellular connectivity would have been helpful in this instance, providing you had a cell tower in the horizon. ;-)

RedHotPoker

2018-5-16
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

It happens.    Good idea to fire it up at home and check before leaving.

2018-5-16
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Sorry for the inconvenience. Did you store the screenshot of this case? If yes, please provide it to me, I will forward your experience to the proper team.
If it is convenient, we will also suggest pilots check the app and firmware before flying.
2018-5-20
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft

Put that point into the preflight checklist
2018-5-21
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

Are you sure it said Download and not 'Unzipping Resource File'?
The Unzipping message appears upon first time opening the Go4 app after fresh install or update (I think)
I had this a few times.

While the others are correct regarding checking everything at home before moving to the destination
I had this unfortunate occurance myself:
I checked for firmware updates at home (I belong to the people who believe in updates) and 1.5 hours
later at the destination it said: 'Firmware upgrade needed' Luckily I was in an area with good cell coverage. Still it took 30 minutes.

The update must have been provided literally within these 1.5 hours while I was driving.
2018-5-21
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft

It´s not only on Go4 the Go3 does the same in first start up after update.
2018-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules