Mavic Choppy Video Solution??? Please Help.
30959 35 2018-5-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nathan FW
lvl.1
United States

There are a lot of complaints aobut the Mavic Pro video quality.  Mine produces very choppy video and yes, all updates have been completed, no wrecks, super fast extreme micro sd card.  On the other hand, there seem to be satisfied customers as well.  HAS ANYONE WITH JUMPY/ CHOPPY VIDEO COME  UP WITH A QUICK AND EASY SOLUTION TO FIX THE PROBELEM?  We intented to us ours to shoot comemrical property for developement projects and my iphone takes better video right now.   
2018-5-16
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Are you getting that with the video from the SD card or seeing it on the phone scree? If only on the phone screen what phone are you using Android or Ios? Specify what type of device as well. Are you also using the side port or the usb port at the bottom?
2018-5-16
Use props
Nathan FW
lvl.1
United States

Hi, Thank you for your quick response.  I am seeing on the iPad Mini and the computer screen.  I also used a video converter to bring it down to normal HD but no change.
2018-5-16
Use props
Nathan FW
lvl.1
United States

The issue I am having is with the final product.  I cannot use the choppy video file for clients.  This is a mavic pro platinum with standard controller and ipad mini.  The cord is from the side into the ipad mini, not usb.  
2018-5-16
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Nathan FW Posted at 2018-5-16 11:09
The issue I am having is with the final product.  I cannot use the choppy video file for clients.  This is a mavic pro platinum with standard controller and ipad mini.  The cord is from the side into the ipad mini, not usb.

So you are saying the choppy video is directly from the SD card? can you upload a sample to you tube and post the link on here
2018-5-16
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Nathan FW Posted at 2018-5-16 11:09

Since you are using the side port as well remove that cable and use the ipad charging cable and connect it to the bottom usb port and do a video and see if it is the same. The cable supplied with the drone sometimes cause this but should not affect the video from the sd card
2018-5-16
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you are experiencing. Could you please check the original videos from the SD card to see if all the original ones have the issue or not? At the same time, you are recommended to provide some samples so that we can check it, thanks!
2018-5-16
Use props
Numero 5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385702 ft
Italy

I've this problem of choppy video feed since Dji Go v. 4.2.8 (android)
I've tried everything...
Uninstalled app and clean flash, different USB cable, airplane mode, killed all apps running in background, tried both auto and manual channel, I've tested it in a zone with zero external interferences.
It's definitely a problem of the app.
My telephone is a Samsung galaxy s6 which is listed among the compatible devices
2018-5-17
Use props
Nathan FW
lvl.1
United States

Thank you everyone for your help.  Please find the link below.  I am determined to find out if this can be solved;  a second Mavic Pro Platinum will arrive tomorrow in order to help compare video and find a solution for great raw drone footage.  Fingers crossed.  

Video:  As you can see, right away the video is choppy with a passing car but panning left and right is the big issue.

2018-5-17
Use props
Numero 5
lvl.4
Italy

Nathan FW it's exactly what I am experiencing!
2018-5-17
Use props
Nate FW Mavic Flyer
lvl.1
United States

Numero 5 Posted at 2018-5-17 05:34
Nathan FW it's exactly what I am experiencing!

Thank you for the confirmation; it is good to see I am not the only one.   The Mavic Pro Platinum I am using is less than 3 days old, straight out of the box with current firmware on all parts, no wrecks, no damage.  From searches, this is an issue with many but not all of the units.
2018-5-17
Use props
Numero 5
lvl.4
Italy

Mine is a mavic pro (bought 1 year ago) never had such a issue with previous firmwares
2018-5-17
Use props
David Drills
lvl.1
Italy

same problem here...

I read sooo many threads on this problem but it appears that none of them has the solution written.

So I am asking here, did anyone find any solution about choppy footage on the mavic pro 2?

I did several tests

4k or less
24, 25 and 30fps
always doubled the shutter speed using nd filter
tried different sd cards (everyone super ultra fast and dji approved)
tried different computers (and btw is very powerful, I easily edit Red Epic footage) and different smart tv
tried different editing software (premiere, final cut, davinci resolve)
reset the drone

but I always ending with an heavily and unusable footage.

I don't even post the video since the web is full of similar ones.

Has anyone found any solution? I am very annoyed with this problem.

Thank you,

David
2019-4-21
Use props
eutx9795_
First Officer
Flight distance : 6057454 ft
  • >>>
Spain

David Drills Posted at 4-21 13:50
same problem here...

I read sooo many threads on this problem but it appears that none of them has the solution written.

Have you tried to do a reset to factory defaults from DJI Assistant 2?
2019-4-21
Use props
My Drone Camera & Me
First Officer
  • >>>
Spain

Nate FW Mavic Flyer Posted at 2018-5-17 06:08
Thank you for the confirmation; it is good to see I am not the only one.   The Mavic Pro Platinum I am using is less than 3 days old, straight out of the box with current firmware on all parts, no wrecks, no damage.  From searches, this is an issue with many but not all of the units.

What are your fps and shutter speed?

2019-4-21
Use props
David Drills
lvl.1
Italy

eutx9795_ Posted at 4-21 14:28

I did not try this one...
Did it happen to you too? Have you tried this and then worked?
2019-4-21
Use props
My Drone Camera & Me
First Officer
  • >>>
Spain

David Drills Posted at 4-21 15:21
I did not try this one...
Did it happen to you too? Have you tried this and then worked?

Not to me but to an acquaintance
2019-4-21
Use props
David Drills
lvl.1
Italy

My Drone Camera & Me Posted at 4-21 16:29
Not to me but to an acquaintance

Done, nothing changed...

I just noticed that even in some famous drone videos I can clearly see this happening.

If you look a this video:
https://vimeo.com/163590531

the first shot has if you look the lines of the white building

even at 1 min and 08 sec, you can see that over the cemetery.

So I am starting to think that is something related to the speed vs the frame rate. If you shoot 24, 25 or 30 fps, if you fly more than a specific speed you'll end up with this effect.

What do you think?
2019-4-22
Use props
My Drone Camera & Me
First Officer
  • >>>
Spain

David Drills Posted at 4-22 05:34
Done, nothing changed...

I just noticed that even in some famous drone videos I can clearly see this happening.

Sorry to read that nothing has changed after reseting.

I have watched your video and the issue is strange that happen at so slow speed. I have to make you some obvious questions:

- What are your fps settings and shutter speed settings?, are the same along the whole video?
- What are your timeline settings while editting?
- On retime/resize filter of your editor, are you using the smooth option?
- Are you rendering at the same frate than the timeline and the original clips are?

I use to fly at very different speeds and I don´t have this issue as you. As example, my last video shot with a Mavic 2 Pro
https://youtu.be/RYZC3vk1ITs
2019-4-22
Use props
David Drills
lvl.1
Italy

My Drone Camera & Me Posted at 4-22 11:10
Sorry to read that nothing has changed after reseting.

I have watched your video and the issue is strange that happen at so slow speed. I have to make you some obvious questions:

Everything was set properly.

Frame rate was 24fps, timeline was set at 24 fps, export done at 24 fps.

No smooth option or time remapping was applied since it's 24 fps.

I can see that you don't have a strong choppy effect, is your video 50 or 60 fps?

This is a shot I made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI00QhEZXmc

when the drone is above the pools and starting the tilt movement, a strong choppy effect is visible (sport mode at fast speed + camera tilt, I think is also pretty normal to have choppy video)

By the way I noticed on thing after watching several drone video online: every 24, 25 or 30 fps drone shot, when the drone speed is over a certain speed, looks choppys, especially on building lines or very steady objects. This is also happen with big drones with Red or Arri camera with it, not just dji drones.
2019-4-22
Use props
My Drone Camera & Me
First Officer
  • >>>
Spain

David Drills Posted at 4-22 12:47
Everything was set properly.

Frame rate was 24fps, timeline was set at 24 fps, export done at 24 fps.

My video was shot at 4K 29.97 fps with a Mavic 2 Pro

You have here a fast video shot with a Mavic Pro at 4K 29.97fps, also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljm3DR1g0_s

As everything is set correctly, it's very strange so I suggest you to open a case with DJI support
2019-4-22
Use props
David Drills
lvl.1
Italy

My Drone Camera & Me Posted at 4-22 12:57
My video was shot at 4K 29.97 fps with a Mavic 2 Pro

You have here a fast video shot with a Mavic Pro at 4K 29.97fps, also

Yeah, that is very strange... uhm...
Well, thanks for all your tip mate.
Do you have any suggestion on how to open a case with dji?
2019-4-22
Use props
My Drone Camera & Me
First Officer
  • >>>
Spain

David Drills Posted at 4-22 13:16
Yeah, that is very strange... uhm...
Well, thanks for all your tip mate.
Do you have any suggestion on how to open a case with dji?

I'm not part of DJI's team or affiliated in any way but you can contact from here https://www.dji.com/es/support. As I'm at Spain I saw the Spanish version, I suppose English one will be https://www.dji.com/support

You're welcome
2019-4-22
Use props
David Drills
lvl.1
Italy

Thank you very much
2019-4-22
Use props
David Drills
lvl.1
Italy

I did some research and It is not the drone, drone it’s actually working fine. It’s not about sd card or computer. it is something that any video camera has when its moving fast trough still objects, and it’s called “judder effect”.
It mostly happen when the camera is moving (or panning) over a certain speed, so with drones is more evident because most of the time they are moving very fast and very close to some objects (like trees).
Even top cameras like red or arri has it, it is something related to the fps andthe movement speed, but it all depends to the hertz of the monitor where the video is playing.
You can notice judder effect in every drone video all over the internet or any hollywood’s moovie when the camera is moving or panning. The only place where you won’t get that is on cinema screens because the can select any heatz parameter they want.
This video has a good explanation: https://youtu.be/qAVfIQ2G7Io
Or just google judder effect and you’ll understand everything about it.
2019-4-25
Use props
djiuser_KZTWyZeTnRfF
New

United Arab Emirates

David Drills Posted at 4-25 16:35
I did some research and It is not the drone, drone it’s actually working fine. It’s not about sd card or computer. it is something that any video camera has when its moving fast trough still objects, and it’s called “judder effect”.
It mostly happen when the camera is moving (or panning) over a certain speed, so with drones is more evident because most of the time they are moving very fast and very close to some objects (like trees).
Even top cameras like red or arri has it, it is something related to the fps andthe movement speed, but it all depends to the hertz of the monitor where the video is playing.

I'm having the same choppy video problem but even at slow speeds...did you find any solution?
2019-5-6
Use props
djiuser_mpwnx1EeDTzj
New
Flight distance : 1732 ft
United States

Since I am unable to create a new thread I'll post my request here.  Has anyone figured out how to fix poor video quality on the Pro Platinum???   Mine is brand new, I updated the firmware and tried my first flight and was very disappointed in the quality of the video.  The drone is currently set to factory default settings, I haven't changed anything, except the firmware.  I have seen other peoples videos here and they are not as bad as what I am getting.  I'm assuming factory default is set to 4K video, if reducing that to HD quality will fix the problem I can live with that.  And if that will fix it please help me get to that setting so I can change it...or any other setting that will fix it.  The video is saving to the Micro SD card that came with the drone and I have tried the video on 3 different computers, the last one is a high end gaming laptop (ASUS).Here is a link for the video of my first flight  youtu.be/fGnHDUu_8L8    You will have to add https// to the beginning of the link, this forum won't let me post with that...sorry
2019-6-27
Use props
ArizonaFlyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 250932 ft
United States

djiuser_mpwnx1EeDTzj Posted at 6-27 16:43
Since I am unable to create a new thread I'll post my request here.  Has anyone figured out how to fix poor video quality on the Pro Platinum???   Mine is brand new, I updated the firmware and tried my first flight and was very disappointed in the quality of the video.  The drone is currently set to factory default settings, I haven't changed anything, except the firmware.  I have seen other peoples videos here and they are not as bad as what I am getting.  I'm assuming factory default is set to 4K video, if reducing that to HD quality will fix the problem I can live with that.  And if that will fix it please help me get to that setting so I can change it...or any other setting that will fix it.  The video is saving to the Micro SD card that came with the drone and I have tried the video on 3 different computers, the last one is a high end gaming laptop (ASUS).Here is a link for the video of my first flight  youtu.be/fGnHDUu_8L8    You will have to add https// to the beginning of the link, this forum won't let me post with that...sorry

Something is more than wrong with your drone. Looks like the quality and steadiness you get from a 50 dollar drone. I can't see this footage coming from a DJI drone without the gimbal being destroyed. If that's a Mavic Plat., then please upload a photo of the front (gimbal).
2019-7-3
Use props
johncookeca
New

Canada

I found a solution. I have a Lenovo with an i5-3470 with 4GB RAM and an nVidia GT 730 card and was getting jerky video from my Mavic Air 4K video using VLC.

Pulling my hair out searching Google and thinking I need to upgrade my computer when I tried Windows Media Player and NO Jerky video! I did not expect it that.

Then I tried the Windows 10 default "Movies & TV" player. I hate to say it, but my 4K video was NOT jitter or Jerky! Smooth as butter! As you can imagine, I did not expect that. Please let the forum know if you find it works.
2020-1-4
Use props
fans17e86832
New
United States

I just shot on my mavic air to a micro sd and am also having this skippy footage problem. Did you figure out why it’s like this even from the sd card? I need the footage for a client, is there any way I can save the footage?
2020-1-6
Use props
willfullerton
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1284888 ft
United States

When exporting try changing the Time Interpolation to Optical Flow. This seems to clean up the choppiness of the 4k footage coming from our Mavic 2 Pro
2020-1-30
Use props
AeUmZQiGxiiA
lvl.2
Flight distance : 95676 ft

Australia

Ye I have a mavric pro have the same problem tried every ting on better would be great if some one came up with a fix

2020-4-3
Use props
ERC
lvl.3
Flight distance : 608629 ft
United Kingdom

Duplicated
2020-5-26
Use props
ERC
lvl.3
Flight distance : 608629 ft
United Kingdom

I'm also having this issue. I'm recording 4k at 24 fps with a 1/50 shutter speed (in DLog h.265) and even when going slowly and tilting the gimbal smoothly I see the judder. Can anyone help with this?
2020-5-26
Use props
PhoenixTail
New

United Kingdom

johncookeca Posted at 1-4 16:58
I found a solution. I have a Lenovo with an i5-3470 with 4GB RAM and an nVidia GT 730 card and was getting jerky video from my Mavic Air 4K video using VLC.

Pulling my hair out searching Google and thinking I need to upgrade my computer when I tried Windows Media Player and NO Jerky video! I did not expect it that.

Thank you, John!

I know this thread is old, but I only got my DJI Mini 2 a few weeks ago and was I was disappointed by the micro stutters occurring in my footage, even after applying an ND filter and shooting at 4K/30fps @ SS 1/60.

Although my PC isn't top of the line I think it should play the footage just fine (i7-6700K and GTX 1080), but not the case until I read your suggestion to use Windows Film & TV app. Fired that bad boy up, and lo! The footage was stutter-free. Stutters on VLC, and Windows Media Player, but not on Windows Film & TV. So very odd, but glad I found your solution. Maybe I do need to upgrade my PC!

So thank you again, John. I joined the forum just to thank you!
2020-12-20
Use props
PortugalDjiUser
New
Portugal

PhoenixTail Posted at 2020-12-20 11:44
Thank you, John!

I know this thread is old, but I only got my DJI Mini 2 a few weeks ago and was I was disappointed by the micro stutters occurring in my footage, even after applying an ND filter and shooting at 4K/30fps @ SS 1/60.

I've Dji mini 2. The videos are choppy as well. I had an s10+ and the quality was sh*t. Now i've 13 pro and the issue is the same. Don't know what to do... I record at 4k 30 fps
2022-3-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules