Boots on ... ready to go!
1406 24 2018-5-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Harbour Guy
lvl.2
Canada

Went out this afternoon to get some video of my favorite set of falls.  Here's "Mav" getting ready to swing to his left and head up the stream..... still working on the video.

Waterfall Bound.jpg
2018-5-16
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

Looking forward to the video!  
2018-5-16
Use props
ny300z
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2603478 ft
United States

great shot of the bird!
2018-5-16
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Niceeeeeee.
2018-5-16
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Nice picture, looking forward to seeing more videos from you.
2018-5-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Cool capture!
2018-5-16
Use props
Harbour Guy
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-5-16 20:17
Nice picture, looking forward to seeing more videos from you.

I combined 3 videos in Shotcut (mp4), complete with music track, title page, etc with a total length of 2:21 and a file size of 1.75 Gb.  It took all night to upload to YouTube on our HDSL internet connection.  When I watch the version prior to uploading I am happy with it.  After following "best practices" for video settings for uploading to Youtube the result was terrible.
Back to the drawing board I guess - never say die.
2018-5-17
Use props
Far_North
Second Officer
Flight distance : 278379 ft
Canada

Really like that shot.   That gives me an idea.
2018-5-17
Use props
Danger Lampost
lvl.4

United States

Harbour Guy Posted at 2018-5-17 06:00
I combined 3 videos in Shotcut (mp4), complete with music track, title page, etc with a total length of 2:21 and a file size of 1.75 Gb.  It took all night to upload to YouTube on our HDSL internet connection.  When I watch the version prior to uploading I am happy with it.  After following "best practices" for video settings for uploading to Youtube the result was terrible.
Back to the drawing board I guess - never say die.

Try waiting an hour or two after your upload. When you upload a video, Youtube transcodes it to multiple, lower resolution formats first (for people with slower connections), and finally publishes your higher resolution versions later. This means that if you look at your Youtube video shortly after uploading, you'll only have access to the lower resolution versions and it could well look bad.
2018-5-17
Use props
Harbour Guy
lvl.2
Canada

Danger Lampost Posted at 2018-5-17 06:40
Try waiting an hour or two after your upload. When you upload a video, Youtube transcodes it to multiple, lower resolution formats first (for people with slower connections), and finally publishes your higher resolution versions later. This means that if you look at your Youtube video shortly after uploading, you'll only have access to the lower resolution versions and it could well look bad.

I was hopeful!  I just had another look and there are areas where  the image goes  soft and then sharpen up again.  This doesn't happen on the video after being exported to a local folder from the video editor.  here it is:
2018-5-17
Use props
Harbour Guy
lvl.2
Canada

Far_North Posted at 2018-5-17 06:34
Really like that shot.   That gives me an idea.

Glad I could be an inspiration to you   Would like to see what you came up with!
2018-5-17
Use props
Hurley1718
First Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice    
2018-5-17
Use props
Danger Lampost
lvl.4

United States

Harbour Guy Posted at 2018-5-17 07:57
I was hopeful!  I just had another look and there are areas where  the image goes  soft and then sharpen up again.  This doesn't happen on the video after being exported to a local folder from the video editor.  here it is:
https://youtu.be/pZ5kM3fq4OE

Are you viewing this on the same HDSL connection on which you uploaded? If so, that could explain the problem too. Are the areas where it's going soft always the same spot in the video? Can you say at exactly what minute:second you're seeing that issue?

I believe HDSL is limited to a range of 1.544 - 2.3 Mbps (depending on which standard you have), whereas a 4K video generally requires a 25-35 Mbps connection to look good (though Netflix streams its 4K at a slower bitrate). You could verify if that's the issue by viewing on a faster network connection.
2018-5-17
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Great photo of the MP.
Your video was really nice. Enjoyed the waterfalls.

2018-5-17
Use props
Harbour Guy
lvl.2
Canada

B1houdini Posted at 2018-5-17 10:51
Great photo of the MP.
Your video was really nice. Enjoyed the waterfalls.

Thanks
2018-5-17
Use props
Harbour Guy
lvl.2
Canada

Danger Lampost Posted at 2018-5-17 09:02
Are you viewing this on the same HDSL connection on which you uploaded? If so, that could explain the problem too. Are the areas where it's going soft always the same spot in the video? Can you say at exactly what minute:second you're seeing that issue?

I believe HDSL is limited to a range of 1.544 - 2.3 Mbps (depending on which standard you have), whereas a 4K video generally requires a 25-35 Mbps connection to look good (though Netflix streams its 4K at a slower bitrate). You could verify if that's the issue by viewing on a faster network connection.

The DSL I have is supposedly an 8MB (down) connection  because I live close enough to the office. When I was working I made sure all the tricks were played to keep it optimal (former Bell customer service tech).  

I never noticed if it happens in the same place each time.  I'll have to check.
2018-5-17
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Nice video, worth the wait, well done fella.
2018-5-17
Use props
Danger Lampost
lvl.4

United States

Harbour Guy Posted at 2018-5-17 15:43
The DSL I have is supposedly an 8MB (down) connection  because I live close enough to the office. When I was working I made sure all the tricks were played to keep it optimal (former Bell customer service tech).  

I never noticed if it happens in the same place each time.  I'll have to check.

I would love to help you fix this. Would you be able to run a speedtest on your Internet connection and publish the results? The speedtest I use is at http://www.speedtest.net/ but you may have a better one to run based on where you live (you may need to google around). If you publish your speedtest results, that might help.
"because I live close enough to the office." I believe what you are referring to is the so-called "central office (CO)", which is the name for where the "DSLAM" is located, which is the hardware that connects to your DSL. You need to be within 10K-ish feet of this CO (technically up to 18K, but 10K is good).

I have embarassingly fast network speeds:

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG
2018-5-17
Use props
Harbour Guy
lvl.2
Canada

Danger Lampost Posted at 2018-5-17 16:56
I would love to help you fix this. Would you be able to run a speedtest on your Internet connection and publish the results? The speedtest I use is at http://www.speedtest.net/ but you may have a better one to run based on where you live (you may need to google around). If you publish your speedtest results, that might help.
"because I live close enough to the office." I believe what you are referring to is the so-called "central office (CO)", which is the name for where the "DSLAM" is located, which is the hardware that connects to your DSL. You need to be within 10K-ish feet of this CO (technically up to 18K, but 10K is good).

This is a speed test, done early this morning .  You do have great speeds. Over the last few years of my career at Bell, fibre was rolled out to some smaller communities, ours is still on the waiting list. Part of the issue is the Sony Bravia I'm using as a monitor.  I watched a couple of videos I posted to Facebook, on my iPad mini 4 and then on the Bravia.  Big difference in quality there alone.

2018-5-18
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

Looks like a promo shot! ;)
2018-5-18
Use props
Gregbella
First Officer

Really great photo and video
2018-5-18
Use props
Danger Lampost
lvl.4

United States

Harbour Guy Posted at 2018-5-18 02:29
This is a speed test, done early this morning .  You do have great speeds. Over the last few years of my career at Bell, fibre was rolled out to some smaller communities, ours is still on the waiting list. Part of the issue is the Sony Bravia I'm using as a monitor.  I watched a couple of videos I posted to Facebook, on my iPad mini 4 and then on the Bravia.  Big difference in quality there alone.

So here's what I did. I used what's called "bandwidth throttling" to slow my browser down to exactly match your network speeds. Then I played your Youtube video. It looks pretty bad.

If I remove the bandwidth throttling and view it full speed, it looks great.

My conclusion is that the quality problem you are seeing is due to your relatively slow network download speed. The minimum recommended download speed if you want to view 4K videos crisply, is somewhere in the 25-35 Mbps speed.

Hope that helps!
2018-5-18
Use props
Harbour Guy
lvl.2
Canada

M2Wair Posted at 2018-5-17 15:59
Nice video, worth the wait, well done fella.

Thanks for the vote of confidence!
2018-5-18
Use props
Harbour Guy
lvl.2
Canada

Danger Lampost Posted at 2018-5-18 06:37
So here's what I did. I used what's called "bandwidth throttling" to slow my browser down to exactly match your network speeds. Then I played your Youtube video. It looks pretty bad.

If I remove the bandwidth throttling and view it full speed, it looks great.

Thanks!  It does make sense and its nice to know that it is a local "choke " on the quality.  If FibreOp  gets here soon I suspect I'll grab it!  That .... and a new PC  hehe
2018-5-18
Use props
sky6105
Second Officer
Flight distance : 345653 ft
United States

Nice video of the falls. Thanks for posting.
2018-5-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules