NewBEEEEEE
1718 23 2018-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bnsfengineer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6811 ft

United States

Hey I just picked up a Mavic Pro and pretty much ignorant about this thing . Any tips I can get I would absolutely appreciate! I just have the basic package and used in my backyard which probably not a great idea so after getting a feel for it I took it to a small local park nearby the following day. After about 2-3 minutes in the air all of a sudden I had lost control of it and it was not responding. I tried immediately to land and it had finally stopped and was hovering above me about 50-75 feet above. Finally after almost a coronary it came down and again had control over it. So probably a good lesson learned as thats why I'm on here not knowing anyone with a drone for tips of not what to do. The park I was at was a wide open field so no trees or other obstructions and I made sure as not to take it up too high as it was slightly windy out. I went back on the app and it had given me 2 warnings.. one for braking now return sticks to midpoints? Second was you are in a warning zone class C areospace! Then also high wind warning? I knew there was a slight breeze so I tried to keep at a lower altitude but it seems like it went higher on its own about 90 ft according to the flight log. Now it felt like I had no reponse for at least a minute but after reviewing the log it was more like 30 seconds. I was immediately starting to think... how will i explain this loss to my wife and hear about it for the next 3 months!! I really tried to read the manual and its very limited on info as I really dont understand all the items on the app and how they all work. I do understand the basic controls and after the incident and my blood pressure gong back to almost normal I took a few more very low flights aroud the park with really no issues at all. I dont even know how to film but I did figure out how to take a still photo. I live in So. Ca. and weather is always nice but do get the breeze from time to time. Any insights as to what I should buy and I know at least another battery and larger SD card. I originally came on here to find out if I can buy insurance for a fly away as I know I can purchase the DJI insurance for damage.     Thanks! Patrick
2018-5-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Just take your time, keep reading the manual watch all the tutorials there is a tutorial section on top of this page, more crashes happen in the first couple of week from lack of experience.

Come here to this forum ask as many questions as you need you will get plenty of support and good information.

I think in the states they use State Farm insurance for drones it’s pretty cheap and covers lost drone.
Yes get more batteries try not to run battery below 29% and for the first few weeks keep Mavic in your line of sight.

Your very welcome to this forum and good luck..
2018-5-17
Use props
bnsfengineer
lvl.1

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-17 15:30
Just take your time, keep reading the manual watch all the tutorials there is a tutorial section on top of this page, more crashes happen in the first couple of week from lack of experience.

Come here to this forum ask as many questions as you need you will get plenty of support and good information.

Thank You!
2018-5-17
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

The most important bit of advice I can give is never take off until you hear the app tell you 'Your home point has been recorded, please check it on the map' if you don't hear this, don't take off.  Do read the manuals and do watch as many tutorials as you can, it will help you understand the capabilities of your drone.  Good luck and don't be worried about asking questions, everybody will help the best they can.

Welcome to the forum
2018-5-17
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10326581 ft
Canada

Welcome to Forum, those lads gave you good advice, take your time, you will learn quite a lot from these guys, don't be shy about any queries, I am so very thankful for this forum,  After a while you'll be more confident in your flying and that's where the fun and excitement begin, you will enjoy your drone immensely, Welcome to the world of droning.
2018-5-17
Use props
bnsfengineer
lvl.1

United States

M2Wair Posted at 2018-5-17 15:44
The most important bit of advice I can give is never take off until you hear the app tell you 'Your home point has been recorded, please check it on the map' if you don't hear this, don't take off.  Do read the manuals and do watch as many tutorials as you can, it will help you understand the capabilities of your drone.  Good luck and don't be worried about asking questions, everybody will help the best they can.

Thanks!
2018-5-17
Use props
bnsfengineer
lvl.1

United States

Picanoc Jack Posted at 2018-5-17 16:11
Welcome to Forum, those lads gave you good advice, take your time, you will learn quite a lot from these guys, don't be shy about any queries, I am so very thankful for this forum,  After a while you'll be more confident in your flying and that's where the fun and excitement begin, you will enjoy your drone immensely, Welcome to the world of droning.

Appreciate It!
2018-5-17
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Welcome to the Forum.
As you can tell you are already getting good advise from what I consider the BEST.
Just remember to read the manual, obey the laws and fly safe.
2018-5-17
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Please read the manual carefully and do the preflight check before flight. Choosing a good environment make things go well. Also, practicing more and you will become a good pilot.
2018-5-17
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Welcome to the Forum. Some Very good advise above take heed of it and do not rush into anything. Start in beginners mode till you get a hang of the controls and how the drone behaves. Also ensure you have a pre-flight checklist especially for taking out the Gimble mounts.
2018-5-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Welcome!
My best practice is:
- Power upp bird
- Power up remote
- wait for the 2 to connect
- Start DJI Go4
- Make sure your phone is on LOUD volume (so you hear the nice woman voice talking and the other notifications)
- Look on your screen for at least 10 -11 satellites
- Start your engines
- Take off to about 1m height in front of you
- Wait for the notice 'home point recorded'
- Look if everything behaves as expected
Have fun!

Also some tips:
- Make sure your home point settings are how you want them to be (tons of tutorials out there)
- Set your low battery level warning  to 30%, so you have enough time to get back when the beep starts.
- Fly against the wind, so the wind won't be an issue on the return flight

And I will probably forget a lot

Wish you a lot of fun and safe flights!
2018-5-17
Use props
bnsfengineer
lvl.1

United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-5-17 23:45
Welcome!
My best practice is:
- Power upp bird

Thanks for the great tips! I had no idea about the volume and never heard any audible !!!
2018-5-18
Use props
Gregbella
First Officer

Great advice John once you hear that
2018-5-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

bnsfengineer Posted at 2018-5-18 04:35
Thanks for the great tips! I had no idea about the volume and never heard any audible !!!

I know. Usually sound is off with people!
2018-5-18
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Reading the manual is not the same as understanding what it means. An internet search will answer many terms.
I found having the drone running on the desk, without props, helped me work through the manual and become familiar with where all the settings are and what to look for on the screen and controller.

The various drone fails could be viewed constructively. Imagine you are in that situation. Not necessarily flyaways, but flying near trees and obstacles. Ask yourself, and think through the options. Once you have that in your mind, it is called experience, you stand a good chance of avoiding trouble.

I leave one scenario with you to think through. It is a very scary but common event. You are following the coast line or a river and suddenly, the signal is broken between you and the drone. The reason is there is a hill blocking the signal.

What can you do?
2018-5-18
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Play with the simulator loads.

Take off the props.
Power up your your phone and controller and connect to your Mavic.
In the app go to Academy and Flight Simulator
Practice.
2018-5-18
Use props
bnsfengineer
lvl.1

United States

Malakai_UK Posted at 2018-5-18 04:58

Take off the props.

Wow! Had no idea I could do that... Great advise and will do it today before heading back out to the park! Thank You!
2018-5-18
Use props
bnsfengineer
lvl.1

United States

AlansDronePics Posted at 2018-5-18 04:56
Reading the manual is not the same as understanding what it means. An internet search will answer many terms.
I found having the drone running on the desk, without props, helped me work through the manual and become familiar with where all the settings are and what to look for on the screen and controller.

Yeah and have to explain to the Boss how I just lost a 1,000.!! Not quite sure how folks have the confidence to fly so far away without almost seeing. I was on vacation at a resort overlooking the ocean and that's when there was a guy in the pool next to me and took his Mavic so far over the ocean I could hardly see! I have to say he is the responsible party for my interest in drone photography ... the video was amazing and he made it look effortless !
2018-5-18
Use props
bnsfengineer
lvl.1

United States

AlansDronePics Posted at 2018-5-18 04:56
I found having the drone running on the desk, without props, helped me work through the manual and become familiar with where all the settings are and what to look for on the screen and controller.

I forgot to mention as you did the manual is not very detailed and just basic, as now I know coming to this site I will learn so much more from folks with detailed information . Thanks!
2018-5-18
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

bnsfengineer Posted at 2018-5-18 05:15
I forgot to mention as you did the manual is not very detailed and just basic, as now I know coming to this site I will learn so much more from folks with detailed information . Thanks!

Just in case you missed it, the brilliant people here have compiled this valuable resource.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=118397
I often refer to it.
As most people take the drone out the box and never look at the manual, perhaps this is why It only give a basic overview.
Good luck with your flying and become one of the Maviceers.
2018-5-18
Use props
bnsfengineer
lvl.1

United States

AlansDronePics Posted at 2018-5-18 06:03
Just in case you missed it, the brilliant people here have compiled this valuable resource.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=118397
I often refer to it.

Hey Thanks Alan I'm going to it now!
2018-5-18
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

Malakai_UK Posted at 2018-5-18 04:58

Take off the props.

whoa.  is that available for the Air?!?
*edit*  Yes.  it is availble for the MA.  just fired mine up and went into the simulator.  Thanks a lot!!!!
2018-5-18
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

Welcome to the forum/family
As you can see, you came to the right place with your question.  Folks here have been super helpful and seem happy to do it.
Come here often, even if you don't have a specific question.  You'll learn tons of new things, get great ideas of better ways to use your drone,  and support for when you do have a question.

Happy Flying!!
2018-5-18
Use props
Dorset_Horn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 93379 ft

A Brit here. Just want to say that unless you are absolutely made of money, learn the basics before you fly. The tiniest collision with something will set you back $250 every time. These little Mavics are really sophisticated but they aren't idiot-proof. (No offence). Get the settings right first, Home Point, Return To Home Height, learn the controls. Then find LOTS of space, and take it slow. We've all got a bit carried away - OK I got carried away - and paid for it.
Once you're more confident -  enjoy!
2018-5-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules