About to bit the bullet and get an ipad mini
1183 17 2018-5-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Captdan555
lvl.3
Flight distance : 301047 ft
United States

Given my desire for a larger screen I've tried my nexus 7 ( older ver), and a samsung tab A, neither worked.  Both have severe video lag.  So, I'm looking at the ipad mini. Not being an apple guy I've got a few questions for those that are. Ipad mini 2 3 or 4?  16, 32, 64, or 128? Do I need a GPS chip if flying with the mavic pro that I think has it's own GPS chip?
2018-5-18
Use props
Thudd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1624787 ft

I started with a nexus 7 II. Had a lot of problems with app. Every update scared me. It worked, but not as I would have liked. Broke down and purchased an Ipad mini 4 128 wifi only. BIG change. Flawless operation. Now I use the Nexus 7 for Litchi, and Ipad with GO4.  
2018-5-18
Use props
Captdan555
lvl.3
United States

Thudd Posted at 2018-5-18 04:53
I started with a nexus 7 II. Had a lot of problems with app. Every update scared me. It worked, but not as I would have liked. Broke down and purchased an Ipad mini 4 128 wifi only. BIG change. Flawless operation. Now I use the Nexus 7 for Litchi, and Ipad with GO4.

Wifi only, no sim, no gps chip?
2018-5-18
Use props
Captdan555
lvl.3
United States

Captdan555 Posted at 2018-5-18 04:59

I suppose the 32,or 64 would be ok? Isn't the drone saving the photos and videos via the onboard mini sd?
2018-5-18
Use props
captirwin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5568 ft
United States

I'm an Android guy.
That said, someone gave me an iPad mini 4. Wifi only.
I couldn't be happier. Worked the first time and everytime there after. Fits in the controller perfect. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT...
Good Luck
2018-5-18
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

I used iPad mini 2 wifi version, 16gb. No you don't need gps. Been using the same iPad for more than two years. With My P3A for over an year and over an year with my Mavic. You can't go wrong with either.
2018-5-18
Use props
esommer
lvl.1
United States

I just bought the mini 4.  It's a great fit with a hoodman full bonnet to see well when you look down at your controller.  Using it with the good mavmount.  Sollid as anything you can buy.  As for the mini 4, I never had a single blip with it.  Rock solid.  I bought the 128G just to make sure I wasn't limited.  No cellular.  It's less expensive and if I want, I can do a hot-spot WiFi connect to my phone and it's just like I have cellular without the dedicated monthly charge just to fly my drone.  But I've NEVER yet connected which assures me I've helped to eliminate possible interference factors.  And yes, this mini 4 is pretty much dedicated to the drone.  I fly clean with no other apps and no communications other than the direct cable connect between the remote and the mini4.  Airplane mode, no bluetooth, no wireless.  The mini4 is the best solution with the hoodman shade.  Because even with the hoodman, the mavmount, it is still 500 cheaper than buying the Crystal high-res high-bright display for a grand.  And I can use the mini4 for other things too down the road if I want.  I paid 305 for the mini4 on eBay.  Mavmount and hood was another 200 or so.  Good luck.  The mini4 is a great solution...  But absolutely get the FULL hoodman shade.  It's like you're not even in the sunshine...  Good luck!
2018-5-18
Use props
Captdan555
lvl.3

esommer Posted at 2018-5-18 05:50
I just bought the mini 4.  It's a great fit with a hoodman full bonnet to see well when you look down at your controller.  Using it with the good mavmount.  Sollid as anything you can buy.  As for the mini 4, I never had a single blip with it.  Rock solid.  I bought the 128G just to make sure I wasn't limited.  No cellular.  It's less expensive and if I want, I can do a hot-spot WiFi connect to my phone and it's just like I have cellular without the dedicated monthly charge just to fly my drone.  But I've NEVER yet connected which assures me I've helped to eliminate possible interference factors.  And yes, this mini 4 is pretty much dedicated to the drone.  I fly clean with no other apps and no communications other than the direct cable connect between the remote and the mini4.  Airplane mode, no bluetooth, no wireless.  The mini4 is the best solution with the hoodman shade.  Because even with the hoodman, the mavmount, it is still 500 cheaper than buying the Crystal high-res high-bright display for a grand.  And I can use the mini4 for other things too down the road if I want.  I paid 305 for the mini4 on eBay.  Mavmount and hood was another 200 or so.  Good luck.  The mini4 is a great solution...  But absolutely get the FULL hoodman shade.  It's like you're not even in the sunshine...  Good luck!

Thanks for a great write up. Definitely getting the hoodman hood. I called them yesterday and talked to a real person.  Very helpfull. Great customer service! I was trying to locate a hood for me samsung S9+. They don't make one yet..
2018-5-18
Use props
Optimus Prime-Mavic Air
Second Officer
Flight distance : 568704 ft
Vietnam

Mini 4 with cellular will always equipped with GPS chip. About memory, you can get 16GB is enough if the iPad just for drone
2018-5-18
Use props
esommer
lvl.1
United States

Optimus Prime-Mavic Air Posted at 2018-5-18 06:26
Mini 4 with cellular will always equipped with GPS chip. About memory, you can get 16GB is enough if the iPad just for drone

My suggestion, buy a mini 4 with a little more than 16Gig of memory for the next generation of drones that will wash your car and trim your trees.   But seriously and even more important than the processor, memory is number one in a tablet.   A processor can survive and go as fast as it can to do whatever it needs to do, but if you run out of working memory, your app just stops.   And no hard-drive to page to like a computer.   Just my 2 cents to make your purchase provide as long as it can for the little extra money now.
2018-5-18
Use props
esommer
lvl.1
United States

Captdan555 Posted at 2018-5-18 05:54
Thanks for a great write up. Definitely getting the hoodman hood. I called them yesterday and talked to a real person.  Very helpfull. Great customer service! I was trying to locate a hood for me samsung S9+. They don't make one yet..

I think I bought my hoodman at mavmount.com when I bought my mavmount...   Buy the combo lower/upper because you can't buy just the upper later.  But I do use the upper and keep then connected as a norm.  

And two more reasons to hate me trying to spend your money, check out the MaxxMod antenna system...  Holy God!  This is wonderful as far as confidence in signal reliability is concerned.   Which I was concerned when I'd see semi-frequent 'Wireless Interference' alerts come up on the GO4 app.  But all gone now.  HD video signal at a mile is nothing for it and flying low through treed areas withing a half mile is like they're not even there.   

Second thing...  Marco Polo Tracker...  Bingo.  Self contained, self powered, signal last three days, goes over a mile native, and you just go look for the mile wide signal if it really goes far far over its' native range...  Then when within its' range and picked up, work into the signal pointed by an arrow to find the drone.  You'd almost have to not want to find it which defeats the purpose of why you bought it.
2018-5-18
Use props
Captdan555
lvl.3
United States

esommer Posted at 2018-5-18 07:31
I think I bought my hoodman at mavmount.com when I bought my mavmount...   Buy the combo lower/upper because you can't buy just the upper later.  But I do use the upper and keep then connected as a norm.  

And two more reasons to hate me trying to spend your money, check out the MaxxMod antenna system...  Holy God!  This is wonderful as far as confidence in signal reliability is concerned.   Which I was concerned when I'd see semi-frequent 'Wireless Interference' alerts come up on the GO4 app.  But all gone now.  HD video signal at a mile is nothing for it and flying low through treed areas withing a half mile is like they're not even there.   

All great ideas and inputs gents! Just got back from Target. Got an ipad mini 4, 128 for $349.  Better not be any hiccups;)
2018-5-18
Use props
esommer
lvl.1
United States

Captdan555 Posted at 2018-5-18 09:05
All great ideas and inputs gents! Just got back from Target. Got an ipad mini 4, 128 for $349.  Better not be any hiccups;)

Get the mini 4 up to date with updates and running clean with a couple reboots before loading GO4.
2018-5-18
Use props
Thudd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1624787 ft

Captdan555 Posted at 2018-5-18 04:59

Neither. Just the wifi. You will be happy with the mini4.
2018-5-18
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Captdan555 Posted at 2018-5-18 05:06
I suppose the 32,or 64 would be ok? Isn't the drone saving the photos and videos via the onboard mini sd?

I have a 16 works just fine.
2018-5-18
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, below is the compatible mobile device list for the Mavic pro,  iPad mini 4 and iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular are on the list.

2018-5-18
Use props
Captdan555
lvl.3
United States

esommer Posted at 2018-5-18 07:31

How do you attach the marco polo tracker to the mavic?
2018-5-19
Use props
Captdan555
lvl.3
United States

captirwin Posted at 2018-5-18 05:11
I'm an Android guy.
That said, someone gave me an iPad mini 4. Wifi only.
I couldn't be happier. Worked the first time and everytime there after. Fits in the controller perfect. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT...

You guys were right on target! Just came back from a test flight using the ipad mini 4.  Fantastic!  Beautiful picture, no time lag, no connection issues. The ipad is dedicated to flying the mavic only so I shouldn't have any conflicts.

Thanks to all for the info!
2018-5-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules