Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
TB48 Storage Mode Question
1215 9 2018-5-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1997861 ft
Canada

My batteries have been in storage mode for 2 months now. As we speak,  I'm charging up the batteries a bit. I figured juicing them up maybe to  60-70% is a good idea knowing they've been sitting. When I do fly the  Inspire, should I charge to 100% and fly normally. Or charge to 100%,  drain them completely and charge them back up to 100%?
2018-5-18
Use props
Farnk666
First Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Charge to 100%, go flying within 48 hours and drain them right down.
The most importantly, charge them back to 100% as soon as possible after they have cooled down and then fly them down to storage charge level (50-60%) if you aren't using them for a day or two.
2018-5-18
Use props
Henry M.Y.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Yep, Farnk666's advice is the way to go.

Henry
2018-5-18
Use props
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Canada

Farnk666 Posted at 2018-5-18 21:38
Charge to 100%, go flying within 48 hours and drain them right down.
The most importantly, charge them back to 100% as soon as possible after they have cooled down and then fly them down to storage charge level (50-60%) if you aren't using them for a day or two.

Oh okay, so charge them up and drain them down until they shut themselves off while landed? Or until I see 3.3v, land and turn battery off.

I might fly this weekend, so that's why I'm kinda charging them a little bit so the lipo chemistry can 'wake up' lol. I'm charging them up to 60% as we speak and if I fly this weekend, I'll charge them full and do what you suggested.
2018-5-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

I agree with Farnk666, when the battery hasn't been used for a long time, you must fully charge the battery just in case the remaining battery level is virtual. It is recommended to fully charge and fully discharge the battery at least once every 3 months.
2018-5-21
Use props
Farnk666
First Officer
Australia

Cabralkev Posted at 2018-5-18 22:00
Oh okay, so charge them up and drain them down until they shut themselves off while landed? Or until I see 3.3v, land and turn battery off.

I might fly this weekend, so that's why I'm kinda charging them a little bit so the lipo chemistry can 'wake up' lol. I'm charging them up to 60% as we speak and if I fly this weekend, I'll charge them full and do what you suggested.

When cycling, I take them down to an indicated 0% by hovering a few inches off the deck on a nice soft grass surface, cancelling auto landing and forcing the bird up with the throttle. The idea being that if it suddenly falls to zero, then the aircraft won't crash/be damaged.  Follow this up with the charge/fly/charge procedure as above.

This is just occasionally however, or after a prolonged period of storage. (DJI advice was to do this every 20 cycles or so back in the days when there were firmware issues with the batteries.)

My standard flight practice is to land with 30% battery level, and never get below 25%.
We had issues with earlier firmware that saw drops from mid 20's to 5-6% in seconds. Many Inspires were crashed and damaged back then.
2018-5-22
Use props
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Canada

Should I run all my 5 batteries to 3.3v and turn the battery off manually. Or should I fly them down to 3.3v and land, then allow the battery to shut itself off?
2018-5-22
Use props
Farnk666
First Officer
United States

Cabralkev Posted at 2018-5-22 12:41
Should I run all my 5 batteries to 3.3v and turn the battery off manually. Or should I fly them down to 3.3v and land, then allow the battery to shut itself off?

Keep an eye on voltage, but the important thing is to get the percentage down to 0 as you are effectively calibrating the battery monitor that DJI has built in to it.

A drop below 3.3v per cell is not good, but you will find that the percentage will reach 0 before any harm is done. The drone will land and you can power it down normally.  

Then charge it back up to 100% as soon as it has cooled down sufficiently.   
2018-5-22
Use props
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Canada

Farnk666 Posted at 2018-5-22 17:54
Keep an eye on voltage, but the important thing is to get the percentage down to 0 as you are effectively calibrating the battery monitor that DJI has built in to it.

A drop below 3.3v per cell is not good, but you will find that the percentage will reach 0 before any harm is done. The drone will land and you can power it down normally.  

What about I land when I see 3.3v on the DJI Go app and turn off the battery once it lands? I'm sure when the load is off I should see 3.5v and not 3.3v anymore.
2018-5-22
Use props
Farnk666
First Officer
United States

Cabralkev Posted at 2018-5-22 19:53
What about I land when I see 3.3v on the DJI Go app and turn off the battery once it lands? I'm sure when the load is off I should see 3.5v and not 3.3v anymore.

When cycling the batteries don't focus on the voltage - in normal flight ops the app uses the calculated percentage as the basis for warnings and remaining flight time indicators. This is why we cycle the batteries in the first place - to get the percentages as accurate as possible across the range of charge states of the battery in question.

Note the voltages as context when you see the 0% and 100% numbers (these are absolutes) and when you are comparing cells for balance.

If for some reason a cell or a whole battery shows a voltage sag you will get a warning - but that is an exception condition, not normal flight ops.

Keeping focus on voltages alone with a DJI battery is not that useful as you aren't able to manually balance charge it anyway.

In the case of your original question, it is more important to manage the transition from empty (0%) to full (100%) and back to storage level so that the battery smarts are reporting accurate numbers to the app when you're flying normally.

2018-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules