Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Help me pick my P4P's sibling.
2096 33 2018-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jeff Millard
First Officer
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>

I've been looking at these two and putting them in the cart over and over. Then closing the browser and coming back a couple hours later, rinse repeat. I'm going to get one of them. I'm just not sure which. I want the Mavic more. But I want the Inspire just as much. (Yep, I know I just conterdicted myself) But, if you had the money set aside and could have only have one of them, which would it be? I'm not concerned about the camera quality as a reason to pick one, this is all about the aircraft (as a toy for the most part) What's your opinion and why. Whatever your reasons are, what would you buy if this were your decision?
Jeff
Single SelectVote, Total 9 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

55.56% (5)
44.44% (4)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-5-19
Use props
Hurley1718
Captain
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>

Just get both so then you have any sibling rivalries.
2018-5-19
Use props
Al S. Alice's Handler
First Officer
Flight distance : 50259 ft

Inspire can use different cameras I believe.
They aren't cheap to buy, but the ability to change cameras for different situations would be a plus.
The transporting is the downside.
What are you looking to do with the new one?
2018-5-19
Use props
Oracle Miata
Captain
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I vote Inspire, cause Inspire.  The regular MP is a better value if you really want a Mavic.
2018-5-19
Use props
Jeff Millard
First Officer
  • >>>

Hurley1718 Posted at 2018-5-19 08:21
Just get both so then you have any sibling rivalries.

I'd love to, but my wife and I agreed on an amount and that's a tad over it.

Jeff
2018-5-19
Use props
Jeff Millard
First Officer
  • >>>

Al S. Alice's Handler Posted at 2018-5-19 10:08
Inspire can use different cameras I believe.
They aren't cheap to buy, but the ability to change cameras for different situations would be a plus.
The transporting is the downside.

This purchase is strictly a bonus. I had a little windfall and it's burning a hole in my pocket. I have nothing in mind, I just like these two aircraft and can't decide. I already have a Phantom 1 and a 4 Pro with both the standard and + controllers. I doubt I'd change the camera if I get the inspire.

Jeff
2018-5-19
Use props
Jeff Millard
First Officer
  • >>>

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-5-19 12:02
I vote Inspire, cause Inspire.  The regular MP is a better value if you really want a Mavic.

My P4P sounds like a gaggle of bees. 10 gazillion of them. I was looking at the MPP because of the quiet. It's worth the extra $200 to me if I go that way.

Jeff
2018-5-19
Use props
Oracle Miata
Captain
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-5-19 15:43
My P4P sounds like a gaggle of bees. 10 gazillion of them. I was looking at the MPP because of the quiet. It's worth the extra $200 to me if I go that way.

Jeff

The standard MP is already one of the quieter drones IMO.
2018-5-19
Use props
Hurley1718
Captain
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-5-19 15:37
I'd love to, but my wife and I agreed on an amount and that's a tad over it.

Jeff

Say no more.
2018-5-19
Use props
QuadKid
Captain
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

If you have the P4P already (and I agree it sounds like a swarm of bees chasing a squealing pig) , and if you have to have another drone right now (pocket burning) I would go with the MPP or MA, I do not like the gimbal mount on either Mavic Pro's, The Mavic Air has a much sturdier gimbal. If it were me I would hold onto the money and wait for the highly anticipated MP 2, I'm hoping it will be out before the end of the year, can't see DJI missing a Black Friday or Xmas debut.

The Inspire is costly and with the stock camera I don't see the cost effectiveness over the P4P, and updating/upgrading the camera is expensive. As a "toy" can not justify the Inspire, as a business then yes as it would be a write off and business money would pay for it. The MPP is the quietest drone DJI makes at the moment so if you fly near and.or around people it is the one.
2018-5-20
Use props
KedDK
Captain
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

As you don't mind the camera i gave you one for the Mavic. You would take it along with ease and properly cheaper on the long run making it possible to save money until you can afford both of them.
2018-5-20
Use props
Jeff Millard
First Officer
  • >>>

KedDK Posted at 2018-5-20 04:20
As you don't mind the camera i gave you one for the Mavic. You would take it along with ease and properly cheaper on the long run making it possible to save money until you can afford both of them.

Due to the fact that it’s nearly a tie, I’m starting to think I may be saving for an Inspire 2 (or 3, by the time I save enough) I agree on the portability on the MPP.

Jeff
2018-5-20
Use props
Jeff Millard
First Officer
  • >>>

QuadKid Posted at 2018-5-20 01:36
If you have the P4P already (and I agree it sounds like a swarm of bees chasing a squealing pig) , and if you have to have another drone right now (pocket burning) I would go with the MPP or MA, I do not like the gimbal mount on either Mavic Pro's, The Mavic Air has a much sturdier gimbal. If it were me I would hold onto the money and wait for the highly anticipated MP 2, I'm hoping it will be out before the end of the year, can't see DJI missing a Black Friday or Xmas debut.

The Inspire is costly and with the stock camera I don't see the cost effectiveness over the P4P, and updating/upgrading the camera is expensive. As a "toy" can not justify the Inspire, as a business then yes as it would be a write of and business money would pay for it. The MPP is the quietest drone DJI makes at the moment so if you fly near and.or around people it is the one.

My reason for the choice of the MPP is the Ocusync connection to my Goggles (and the reduction in noise)

Jeff
2018-5-20
Use props
QuadKid
Captain
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-5-20 04:45
My reason for the choice of the MPP is the Ocusync connection to my Goggles (and the reduction in noise)

Jeff

Good reason, Good Choice!
2018-5-20
Use props
Jeff Millard
First Officer
  • >>>

Thanks guys. It’s close enough for me to call it a tie. I flipped a coin. MPP it is. Whatever is left over will go into a fund for an Inspire somewhere down the road.

Jeff
2018-5-20
Use props
Jeff Millard
First Officer
  • >>>

MPP Flymore Combo with Refresh on Order. Tick Tock... I have just enough for a second controller, would you? (I also have a 20% coupon for it so...)

Jeff
2018-5-20
Use props
KedDK
Captain
Denmark

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-5-20 14:25
MPP Flymore Combo with Refresh on Order. Tick Tock... I have just enough for a second controller, would you? (I also have a 20% coupon for it so...)

Jeff

"I have just enough for a second controller, would you?"
Would you need it? - I think i wouldn't, hope you will enjoy your new purchase.
2018-5-20
Use props
Jeff Millard
First Officer
  • >>>

KedDK Posted at 2018-5-20 15:23
"I have just enough for a second controller, would you?"
Would you need it? - I think i wouldn't, hope you will enjoy your new purchase.

Might be able to convince the wife to learn if I had a two controller set up...

Jeff

PS probably not....
2018-5-20
Use props
KedDK
Captain
Denmark

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-5-20 16:02
Might be able to convince the wife to learn if I had a two controller set up...

Jeff

would you start knitting if your wife invested in an extra set of knitting needles?
Something we must just enjoy doing on our own ...

Disclaimer: sorry gals was not meant to be a generalization or prejudice.
2018-5-20
Use props
Jeff Millard
First Officer
  • >>>

KedDK Posted at 2018-5-20 16:16
would you start knitting if your wife invested in an extra set of knitting needles?
Something we must just enjoy doing on our own ...

I already do thank you very much. And by the way, she doesn’t know how to.

Jeff
2018-5-20
Use props
sky wombat
Captain
Flight distance : 1443894 ft
  • >>>

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-5-20 06:15
Thanks guys. It’s close enough for me to call it a tie. I flipped a coin. MPP it is. Whatever is left over will go into a fund for an Inspire somewhere down the road.

Jeff

Jeff, Jeff sometime I despair of you Buy the cheaper unit then buy something for the wife explaining that you have made a great sacrifice so you could buy the gift for her. Then NEXT TIME the Inspire I should add that the strategy didn't work for me though .
2018-5-20
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, both of the Mavic pro platinum and the Inspire are great drones, the Mavic pro platinum will be more portable for traveling. Personally, I will choose the Mavic pro platinum, thanks!
2018-5-21
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>

Mavic would be my choice.  Size & price.  You can buy 2 Mavics & have money to spare.  My missions are too edgy to risk the loss of an Inspire, plus the Inspire is too large to be discreet.
2018-5-21
Use props
Jeff Millard
First Officer
  • >>>

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-5-21 02:00
Mavic would be my choice.  Size & price.  You can buy 2 Mavics & have money to spare.  My missions are too edgy to risk the loss of an Inspire, plus the Inspire is too large to be discreet.

Due to your missions, I'd like to have a P3. I've flown two Litchi missions with my P4P that were around 3 miles. I wouldn't have done it had I not seen your videos. It's difficult to send $1700 out of sight and wait for a safe return. I see the refurb P3s are under $600.

At my cardiologist visit I was asked what I was doing to exercise. I told him I was running my heart rate up waiting for my Obsidian to come home. He didn't get it.

Jeff
2018-5-21
Use props
Jeff Millard
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Shipped. Coming Wednesday. :-)

Jeff
2018-5-21
Use props
Eric13
Captain
Flight distance : 13430925 ft
  • >>>

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-5-21 02:11
Due to your missions, I'd like to have a P3. I've flown two Litchi missions with my P4P that were around 3 miles. I wouldn't have done it had I not seen your videos. It's difficult to send $1700 out of sight and wait for a safe return. I see the refurb P3s are under $600.

At my cardiologist visit I was asked what I was doing to exercise. I told him I was running my heart rate up waiting for my Obsidian to come home. He didn't get it.

That's a funny one. I love it!
Yeah - when I look at Dirty Birds missions I'm wondering how that is like when the drone is beyond signal and all you can do is wait until you hear that familiar noise approaching.
Maybe a pack of cigarettes helps ;-)

I did a Waypoint flight with the Go4 app yesterday and noticed that it said it would continue if signal was lost.
I thought only Litchi had that option.
Still Go4 is bad for waypoint missions I think. The mission has to be flown first in order to be recorded.
2018-5-21
Use props
Jeff Millard
First Officer
  • >>>

Eric13 Posted at 2018-5-21 11:31

That's a funny one. I love it!

The Litchi system is easy to use and missions are a breeze to set up. I was terrified the first time it flew off and it was only going around the block. I had a link the entire time and could tell where it was via the Goggles. But I'm not the most trusting person in the world, so I was worried stiff. I've flown 4 of them now.  2 of them around 3 miles long. I have one ready that will fly around a local river park. It's the first time I've added water into the mix, but it shouldn't be an issue as I'm staying 100' AGL.

Jeff
2018-5-21
Use props
Jeff Millard
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

sky wombat Posted at 2018-5-20 17:03
Jeff, Jeff sometime I despair of you  Buy the cheaper unit then buy something for the wife explaining that you have made a great sacrifice so you could buy the gift for her. Then NEXT TIME the Inspire  I should add that the strategy didn't work for me though .

This is a great idea. I started fishing for something she wants. Problem arises. She doesn't want anything. So, I bought the cheaper unit, now I'm stuck with the cheaper unit?

Just Kidding. I see the MPP was delivered a couple minutes ago. The neighbor lady went over and put it inside the house. In about 5 hours I can start charging batteries. Vacation starts tomorrow afternoon. Does it get any better than this?

Jeff
2018-5-23
Use props
sky wombat
Captain
Flight distance : 1443894 ft
  • >>>

Keep us posted on how it goes Jeff.
You cracking the champagne over the shell.
2018-5-24
Use props
Jeff Millard
First Officer
  • >>>

sky wombat Posted at 2018-5-24 01:13
Keep us posted on how it goes Jeff.
You cracking the champagne over the shell.

First two flights around the neighborhood went beautifully. This thing is dead silent. I packed it up to take with me to work today. I hear there are tall ships on the Delaware River. Not sure if I can get there...

Jeff
2018-5-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MPP         
2018-5-24
Use props
Jeff Millard
First Officer
  • >>>

Yep! It came yesterday, and I'm a believer. I can't stop charging the batteries and flying all over the place. It's so quiet, and sneaky, and stealthy. Tomorrow during the day I want to sneak down by the Delaware River. There are tall ships along the Philadelphia waterfront. I hope I'm able to get there somehow.

Jeff
2018-5-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-5-24 17:38
Yep! It came yesterday, and I'm a believer. I can't stop charging the batteries and flying all over the place. It's so quiet, and sneaky, and stealthy. Tomorrow during the day I want to sneak down by the Delaware River. There are tall ships along the Philadelphia waterfront. I hope I'm able to get there somehow.

Jeff

Good for you mate - enjoy    
2018-5-24
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-5-21 02:11

A P3 is definitely a good choice for Litchi.  Even a new P3SE would be good with the 4K camera.  It won't have the RC range as a P3A or P3P, but for Litchi that won't matter.  Love you cardiac comment.  LOL
2018-5-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules