Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Pro - Speed Problem?
4059 26 2018-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JaseUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I've had my Mavic for a while but I was out with it today and had a couple of issues.

When I started my flight the App reported that I was in restricted airspace and asked me to agree that I take responsibility for flying there. The area definetly was not in restricted airspace from the checks done before hand (it was right on the coast not near a town, airport or anything) and the NATS app confirmed that.  A friend was with me and he tried his drones (a Phantom 4 Pro+ and a Mavic Pro and did not get any warning).  In addition the map was not showing only a grid.  

We moved to another location and again I had the warning about restricted airspace, this time I accepted it took off after confirming that my friends drones were not giving the warning.  However I noticed that the Mavic was going very slow, so not wanting to risk anything landed.

On the way home we stopped at an open area that we have flown in many times. Again I got the warning about restricted airspace, I knew that was definetly not right so decided to do a test flight.  The drone was indeed very slow and seemed to be restricted to 3.8 m/s  on occasions it would go faster  say 5.6 m/s but suddenly I could hear a change in motor sound, the mavic would straighten out and return to the 3.8-4.0 m/s.  Again my friend tried his drones and they were fine, no warning and speed fine.

I checked that it hadn't gone in to beginner mode, tripod mode, was signed into the app etc but nothing obvious. I also did a height test and it went high, it would have gone far too but at a slow pace. It was a calm day no wind so that was not a factor. I changed battery, turned everything off restarted but no success. Even sport mode was slow.

I'm sure it will be something simple (I hope it's something simple) but no idea. The app and firmware is up to date.

Any ideas?

2018-5-19
Use props
DINGO DOWN UNDA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3058816 ft
Australia

If it was me I would delete the app and reinstall. If you are using an android phone/tablet I always connect my device to my computer and go into internal/external storage and totally delete anything to do with DJI . Disconnect device from computer and restart device and then do a clean install of the Go app. I would do the same with an IOS  device as well. I never update a new version app over an old version app...stuff gets mixed up !!!. Thats my thought anyway!!                                                                                                                                                                    Cheers mate.
2018-5-19
Use props
JaseUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DINGO DOWN UNDA Posted at 2018-5-19 13:09
If it was me I would delete the app and reinstall. If you are using an android phone/tablet I always connect my device to my computer and go into internal/external storage and totally delete anything to do with DJI . Disconnect device from computer and restart device and then do a clean install of the Go app. I would do the same with an IOS  device as well. I never update a new version app over an old version app...stuff gets mixed up !!!. Thats my thought anyway!!                                                                                                                                                                    Cheers mate.

Thanks I have 2 IOS phones so I have done a fresh install on one and will try it out tomorrow.

My other thoughts were something to do the obstacle avoidance playing up but that doesn't explain the false restricted airspace warnings.

2018-5-19
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

JaseUK Posted at 2018-5-19 13:15
Thanks I have 2 IOS phones so I have done a fresh install on one and will try it out tomorrow.

My other thoughts were something to do the obstacle avoidance playing up but that doesn't explain the false restricted airspace warnings.

When you said a fresh install you meant you deleted it completely first and then reinstalled?
I found just reinstalling over the original sometimes doesn't seem to eliminate the problems.
2018-5-19
Use props
Bruno Rook
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4523671 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Before any flights .... Compass (Calibrate) !! I think that your drone stay at your last place .. Try it
2018-5-19
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bruno Rook Posted at 2018-5-19 16:42
Before any flights .... Compass (Calibrate) !! I think that your drone stay at your last place .. Try it

you do not calibrate every time!  this can cause more issues than it will solve.  because people will calibrate near interference more times than not and zero out at incorrect values.    also because magnetic north doesn't change, its a fixed point doesn't matter if you are in china, australia, spain, the US, canada, etc etc.. so no need to.  

best practice is you get compass errors, move the aircraft change locations move away from suspect areas causing issues.  parking garages, hoods of cars, sidewalks, roads, most places inside the house, etc etc, tend to be areas i found high magnetic bias..all you need to do is to move the drone a few feet around and find area with less bias.. or just take off if the surface is high bias. and usually once you are a couple feet off the ground it drops significantly..

only calibrate if your in an area where no chance of interference (like empty field with no power lines above or below) and if while in area where no chance of interference you getting compass errors and unreasonably high bias on compasses.  at that stage recalibrate.
2018-5-19
Use props
Bruno Rook
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-5-19 18:09
you do not calibrate every time!  this can cause more issues than it will solve.  because people will calibrate near interference more times than not and zero out at incorrect values.    also because magnetic north doesn't change, its a fixed point doesn't matter if you are in china, australia, spain, the US, canada, etc etc.. so no need to.  

best practice is you get compass errors, move the aircraft change locations move away from suspect areas causing issues.  parking garages, hoods of cars, sidewalks, roads, most places inside the house, etc etc, tend to be areas i found high magnetic bias..all you need to do is to move the drone a few feet around and find area with less bias.. or just take off if the surface is high bias. and usually once you are a couple feet off the ground it drops significantly..

Oh okay .. I was thinking that was really recommended to do that
I do that when I start a new day. My drone is good and I didn't a problems.

Thanks
2018-5-19
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bruno Rook Posted at 2018-5-19 18:15
Oh okay .. I was thinking that was really recommended to do that
I do that when I start a new day. My drone is good and I didn't a problems.

i never calibrated my mavic pro's compass since i gotten it.  i owned it for nearly a year now.  i traveled thousands of miles around and never had an issue.. sure i get occasional compass errors, but easy resolve been to just move the aircraft a few feet away from that area or take off and let it sit in the air for a couple seconds see if error drops out, if it does than just something below ground causing it..

2018-5-19
Use props
Bruno Rook
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

That weird ...
Maybe it's different between the mavic air and pro for the compass but the app asked me sometimes before flight of calibrated my compass ..

PS : I love your nickname bro
2018-5-19
Use props
JaseUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-5-19 18:09

best practice is you get compass errors, move the aircraft change locations move away from suspect areas causing issues.  parking garages, hoods of cars, sidewalks, roads, most places inside the house, etc etc, tend to be areas i found high magnetic bias..all you need to do is to move the drone a few feet around and find area with less bias.. or just take off if the surface is high bias. and usually once you are a couple feet off the ground it drops significantly..

That's interesting to be honest as I think I did calibrate the the drone at the first location before first take off but didn't do it again after (but maybe I did). And now that you mention it my friend did not calibrate his drones but did have an issues where his Phantom reported 'abnormal firmware' at the first location and had some breakup on the screen. We couldn't understand where any interference was coming from as there was nothing there no power cable etc nothing for mies.

When I first got the Mavic it prompted you every time to calibrate, that changed some times ago with new firmware or whatever but maybe I'm still in the habit of doing it now and again...

2018-5-19
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

JaseUK Posted at 2018-5-19 23:28
That's interesting to be honest as I think I did calibrate the the drone at the first location before first take off but didn't do it again after (but maybe I did). And now that you mention it my friend did not calibrate his drones but did have an issues where his Phantom reported 'abnormal firmware' at the first location and had some breakup on the screen. We couldn't understand where any interference was coming from as there was nothing there no power cable etc nothing for mies.

When I first got the Mavic it prompted you every time to calibrate, that changed some times ago with new firmware or whatever but maybe I'm still in the habit of doing it now and again...

that error means one of more module did not get updated.

example dji sometimes updates the battery firmware and if you plug in a battery that didnt recieve that update and try to take off it will throw that error because it is one of the incompatible firmware modules.

as for why breakup occurs, calibration does nothing for reception, thats handled by a completely different system on board. could literally be anything, usually for me if i start seeing blocks/discoloration and frame jumps it means the cable is trashed and on its last legs (usually fails where plugs into the phone). replacing the cable fixes it for me if it happens.   however it could also be the application is broken or buggy firmware.  it is rarely the drone unless maybe was some damage to it.

im not claiming to know everything here either.  but i do know from my own experiance.  only sensors i calibrated since owning my mavic pro has been the IMU after a nasty crash with a light pole while active tracking me last year..  and i recalibrated the vision system too because that was recomended..  but i didnt touch the compass..   

the reason i aviod touching the compass anymore is because i has 2 dji sparks, first one was probably defective out of the factorybut i did do caliobrations to it all the time to try to cure its poor behavior, but it was a lemon.   2nd one was much better behaved but after i recalibrated the compass a few times (as people recomended so heavily) it started acting more erratic and causing other systems to throw errors or warnings, and then i had a few close calls with it flying away i regained control of it just as it was exiting my controller range and had to manually reel it in.  eventually i got so sick of it misbehaving i had to return it for a full refund..

2018-5-19
Use props
JaseUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-5-19 23:39
that error means one of more module did not get updated.

example dji sometimes updates the battery firmware and if you plug in a battery that didnt recieve that update and try to take off it will throw that error because it is one of the incompatible firmware modules.

Thanks, he didn't get any errors or any breakup at the other locations we went to.

I was just about to reply anyway, as my initial question was about the speed of the drone. Does any of the above effect the speed of the drone ie does it limit it to around 4 m/s ?

I looked back on the flight data and at some points it was doing up to 6-7 m/s but the majority of time it was a constant speed of about 4 m/s not matter what direction.
2018-5-19
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

JaseUK Posted at 2018-5-19 23:48
Thanks, he didn't get any errors or any breakup at the other locations we went to.

I was just about to reply anyway, as my initial question was about the speed of the drone. Does any of the above effect the speed of the drone ie does it limit it to around 4 m/s ?

ill try to list the things that i think maybe causing it:

1. check beginner mode in the app, disable that if it is on.

2. enable "multiple flight modes"  in the app if it is disabled.

3. turn off obstacle avoidance see if that helps it break free.

4. make sure you got a GPS lock and not in a restricted flight zone.

5.  im not sure what else... reset the app and drone..?

2018-5-20
Use props
JaseUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-5-20 00:03
ill try to list the things that i think maybe causing it:

1. check beginner mode in the app, disable that if it is on.

Thanks, I checked all above apart from obstacle avoidance.

Do DJI restrict the speed of the drone if it thinks it is in a restricted zone?   if so then that is the issue and probably due to the calibration problem you mentioned above.

I will be going out in a couple of hours to test it.

2018-5-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

JaseUK Posted at 2018-5-20 00:09
Thanks, I checked all above apart from obstacle avoidance.

Do DJI restrict the speed of the drone if it thinks it is in a restricted zone?   if so then that is the issue and probably due to the calibration problem you mentioned above.

*shrugs*   i dont know if they do i just it mentioned a few times before somewhere and it makes sense if it isn't a NFZ just a restricted area i guess.  

i have yet to fly into a restricted area to learn myself, closest i gotten was ~2 miles away from a nuclear power plant (of all things to try my luck on)  before my battery needed a RTH. i was attempting to test how it would react but that's closest i could get before i was trespassing...

recalibrating could help but i doubt it since zone is determined by the GPS, not the IMUs or compass..
2018-5-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Many areas in your NFZ are not only airports so might be worth checking this out, regarding speed flying in restricted area won’t slow your aircraft down.

Was wind a factor at what height were you flying, Mavic Pro is not the greatest bird flying into a headwind.

You could also put up your flight log it may give a clearer picture.
2018-5-20
Use props
JaseUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-20 02:18
Many areas in your NFZ are not only airports so might be worth checking this out, regarding speed flying in restricted area won’t slow your aircraft down.

Was wind a factor at what height were you flying, Mavic Pro is not the greatest bird flying into a headwind.

Thanks, definitely not a NFZ or wind, it was one of the rare days here there was no wind. I tried it at all different height, during the test flight probably about 10M.  We did a test were my friend used his Mavic and I used mine, we both started on the same point and 'raced' forward at full speed for a short time. When we stopped I had covered about 120M and he had covered twice that.
2018-5-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

JaseUK Posted at 2018-5-20 02:55
Thanks, definitely not a NFZ or wind, it was one of the rare days here there was no wind. I tried it at all different height, during the test flight probably about 10M.  We did a test were my friend used his Mavic and I used mine, we both started on the same point and 'raced' forward at full speed for a short time. When we stopped I had covered about 120M and he had covered twice that.

i'm not sure why yours is stuck at 11 MPH or 5m/sec..  his going 22 mph seems about normalish for p-gps mode

screen shot us your settings pages in the app?  i guess all of them since maybe something buried somewhere we missed or aren't thinking of.
2018-5-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JaseUK Posted at 2018-5-20 02:55
Thanks, definitely not a NFZ or wind, it was one of the rare days here there was no wind. I tried it at all different height, during the test flight probably about 10M.  We did a test were my friend used his Mavic and I used mine, we both started on the same point and 'raced' forward at full speed for a short time. When we stopped I had covered about 120M and he had covered twice that.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Just click on link and follow instructions come back here and post your link.
2018-5-20
Use props
JaseUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-20 03:47
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Just click on link and follow instructions come back here and post your link.

Below is a link to a flight log from yesterday:

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/D2CVAVLG8D6K9K57UATZ/

Seems the average is 8.7 mph, all at full speed and no wind.
2018-5-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JaseUK Posted at 2018-5-20 05:51
Below is a link to a flight log from yesterday:

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/D2CVAVLG8D6K9K57UATZ/

One thing I have to ask are you fully signed into dji go4 app ?
2018-5-20
Use props
JaseUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-20 06:39
One thing I have to ask are you fully signed into dji go4 app ?

Yes, fully signed in. Mentioned it on my first post as it was thing that we thought of.
2018-5-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JaseUK Posted at 2018-5-20 06:46
Yes, fully signed in. Mentioned it on my first post as it was thing that we thought of.

Ok so it’s not that (apologies for not seeing that) you could try refreshing latest firmware or a full factory reset in assistant, you could also check obstacles sensors because if they believe there is obstacle close by they will cause aircraft to slow down.

Failing all that if nothing works you may have to return to dji for repair.

Good luck.
2018-5-20
Use props
JaseUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-20 06:54
Ok so it’s not that (apologies for not seeing that) you could try refreshing latest firmware or a full factory reset in assistant, you could also check obstacles sensors because if they believe there is obstacle close by they will cause aircraft to slow down.

Failing all that if nothing works you may have to return to dji for repair.

Many thanks for all the help.

I went out to try the drone today, the exact position as yesterday. Today I did not get the restricted airspace warning but it was so windy I could not test it properly, was getting high wind warnings when it was about a foot off the ground.

I'll try it on the next suitable day.
2018-5-20
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

JaseUK Posted at 2018-5-20 07:37
Many thanks for all the help.

I went out to try the drone today, the exact position as yesterday. Today I did not get the restricted airspace warning but it was so windy I could not test it properly, was getting high wind warnings when it was about a foot off the ground.

Hi Jase, I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you have experienced. Please try it again and keep us in updated, if there is any further issue, please feel free to let us know, we're glad to help.
2018-5-20
Use props
JaseUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-5-20 22:30
Hi Jase, I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you have experienced. Please try it again and keep us in updated, if there is any further issue, please feel free to let us know, we're glad to help.

The weather was nice tonight so I tried the Mavic again. Same problem, very slow.. it was a constant 3.8 m/s

I swapped to a different phone with a fresh install of the app and it was the same.

I then tried turning off obstacle avoidance and then speed returned to normal.  If I put obstacle avoidance on back to 3.8 m/s

I didn't fly for long but during the short flight I kept getting a loud beep from the controller, maybe it does that as reminder that OA is off, not sure but annoying either way.

I checked the sensors, nothing obvious, no dirty or obstructed.

Any ideas???

2018-5-23
Use props
JaseUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Any thoughts on above Diana ?
2018-5-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules