Mavic Air or Phantom 4 Advanced?
3550 17 2018-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cogitare
lvl.2
Flight distance : 131713 ft

Hey everyone!I am really looking into upgrading my current P34K to either the MA or P4A. My P3 is getting a bit old and really lacks a lot of features that the newer drones offer. For example, I really like ActiveTrack from what I've seen online. One thing I would really like to do is to use the ActiveTrack feature to track my boat from above to use in my films. (I mainly use my P3 for videography, making films etc)

So the question is basically, is the camera on the P4A so much better that it's worth the extra to get it? Can I see a great difference in video quality compared to my current drone? A thing that I'm a bit worried about is the range of the MA. My P3 runs on WiFi and I'm not happy with the range I'm getting out of it, especially since I live in a country with CE restrictions. I know the MA has enhanced WiFi but I'm still a bit worried, what is your experience with the range of the MA with CE restrictions? Portability hasn't been a problem in most cases so far for me with my P3 so that's not a major selling point for me, (at least I think so, haven't tried a smaller drone yet). But the biggest advantage of the MA is its price since I'd like to save some money if possible.

So what would you recommend for me, MA or P4A? (I'm buying a drone mostly for videography)

Single SelectVote, Total 18 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-5-19
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

From your description of what you want to use the drone for I would say Mavic Air, I have had it out 6000 Ft @ 160 ft altitude before starting to get hiccups in the video feed, also was in a suburban area (plenty of other WiFi around) never had a disconnect so far. If you go with it make sure you get a good set of ND Filters.
2018-5-19
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

The camera is ALOT better in the P4A, and that's not to say the camera isn't great in the MA.  But the 1 inch sensor and the mechanical shutter are simply in another class.  No with that great camera you lose the extreme portability of the MA.  You have to ask yourself which is more important.  As a Phantom owner already, you know what you getting into and once you switch over to a smaller drone, you may never go back.  Range is pretty good with both quads IMO.  If I can have just one drone, its gonna be the MA.
2018-5-19
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-5-19 11:23
From your description of what you want to use the drone for I would say Mavic Air, I have had it out 6000 Ft @ 160 ft altitude before starting to get hiccups in the video feed, also was in a suburban area (plenty of other WiFi around) never had a disconnect so far. If you go with it make sure you get a good set of ND Filters.

Quad, are you still getting that distance with no interference on the new firmware?
2018-5-19
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-5-19 11:51
The camera is ALOT better in the P4A, and that's not to say the camera isn't great in the MA.  But the 1 inch sensor and the mechanical shutter are simply in another class.  No with that great camera you lose the extreme portability of the MA.  You have to ask yourself which is more important.  As a Phantom owner already, you know what you getting into and once you switch over to a smaller drone, you may never go back.  Range is pretty good with both quads IMO.  If I can have just one drone, its gonna be the MA.

I could not agree more with your assessment.   

If you're looking to get great video, but still save a few coins, then get the Mavic Air. I've not flown the Phantom, so i don't know how it flies in comparison.  I just know that i absolutely love the mavic air.  and the video quality is excellent
2018-5-19
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

3-D Posted at 2018-5-19 11:58
Quad, are you still getting that distance with no interference on the new firmware?

Yup, I rarely go that distance often, most of the time I am in VLOS 500-700 ft, as I use the MA for Quickshots and features. But the few times I wandered out RC signal was good, video got a little choppy at distance. Running 0.400
2018-5-19
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

I have a P4P as well and yes the camera provides exceptional quality and versatility, I only use it for client work as it is way too loud (louder and more annoying than the P3P) therefore only use it away from people. So depending on the budget there is a drone for every purpose.
2018-5-19
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-5-19 13:01
Yup, I rarely go that distance often, most of the time I am in VLOS 500-700 ft, as I use the MA for Quickshots and features. But the few times I wandered out RC signal was good, video got a little choppy at distance. Running 0.400

that's been my experience since .400.  Anything above 600 ft starts to give choppy video (on the screen, not from the aircraft)

I also agree that there is drone for every purpose.  I just have to convince the wife of this, and my hangar will fill.
2018-5-19
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

P4A's camera is miles ahead of the MA. I have both a MA and a P4P and if I had to choose only one, P4P would win hands down.
2018-5-19
Use props
15matjan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1158258 ft
  • >>>
Spain

I have a MA and P4P and if I'd have to choose one for image quality, stability and flight range and autonomy, definitely I choose P4P...
The only drawback of it is being bulky and this is the reason I bought also a MA.
So, when we travel in family, I take my P4P with me...one cabin luggage only for it.
When I travel solo, being more...luggage restricted...I take the MA...
2018-5-19
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

depends on what you really want..

mavic air is better if you are a heavy traveler wanting to go on plane, trains, buses and cars and explore the world without a massively awkward protective cube case or backpack for the phantom..  the downside of the mavic air is the battery life on avg people saying getting around 15 minutes which makes sense (usually -5 mins from rated for dji)

the phantom is better if you are want better overall image quality, slightly better battery and more stability in the wind.. the down sides of the phantom is heavier, and far more bulky and awkward to take with you everywhere..'

no right or wrong answer, if it was my choice, i would go with the mavic air/pro just because i dont like the akward shape and unpacking my drones and repacking them..just pull out mavic air, pop gimbal gard start it up and away you go.  and you dont need a dedicated bag for it, just pack it in any backup already traveling with..

infact one reason im interested in mavic air to replace my mavic pro once it matures more, the single action gimbal gaurd vs the f...ckery of the clamp then globe on the mavic pro.. ugh..so imagine me with a phantom, that would annoy me soo much

2018-5-19
Use props
Cogitare
lvl.2
Flight distance : 131713 ft

Thank you for all of your opinions!
I think I'll go with P4A because, in the end, I'm not traveling that much and the better camera may benefit me more. Although, if I had the money, I would buy them both as many of you did and use MA when traveling and P4A when I have space for a bigger drone.
2018-5-20
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Cogitare Posted at 2018-5-20 01:41
Thank you for all of your opinions!
I think I'll go with P4A because, in the end, I'm not traveling that much and the better camera may benefit me more. Although, if I had the money, I would buy them both as many of you did and use MA when traveling and P4A when I have space for a bigger drone.

Thanks for your update. Actually, both of the Mavic air and the P4A are great drones, the Mavic air is more portable when traveling. You can go with the P4A first, then buy them both, that's a good idea.
2018-5-20
Use props
SebastianShaw
lvl.1

Georgia

From what I've heard from you, I'd say go with Mavic Air between those two. It has an extremely awesome camera and I guess it'll be enough for you. Plus, it's smaller in size and that's a huge advantage.
2019-4-16
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

SebastianShaw Posted at 4-16 09:44
From what I've heard from you, I'd say go with Mavic Air between those two. It has an extremely awesome camera and I guess it'll be enough for you. Plus, it's smaller in size and that's a huge advantage.
I’m sure he made that decision about a year ago...
2019-4-16
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Oracle Miata Posted at 4-16 10:37
I’m sure he made that decision about a year ago...

And it looks like he got the P4A
2019-4-16
Use props
3BEPb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 165928 ft
  • >>>
United States

ROFLMAO

Smaller size huge advantage. Not what she said.
2019-4-16
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>

I had a MA for a moderately short amount of time and had lots of connection issues due to it being a WiFi connection.Even a short distance away - 100m,it was suffering from jerky catch-up issues. These are not good when you are nowhere near anything other than a beautiful reservoir that just needs capturing.I have also had a P4A which was mind blowing due to the footage and the superior stills capability. However it's portability that I need as I sm a surveyor and need that small form factor. I currently fly a MPP and love it as I can carry it as I carry out my surveys. If it's sheer image quality with no worries about form factor I would honestly go for the P4A. If it's mobility, like me, then I would stick with the MPP and not the MA. I got the MPP used from eBay for a bargain price as the fly-more-combo. I would say don'tgo with the hype and stick with MPP. It's just a better all round craft. I started on P3S and worked my way up. The Spark was worst, closely followed by the MA, purely for connection issues. Hope this helps.
2019-9-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules