Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Marginally further in FCC
1518 16 2018-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi folks

Decided to try the FCC mode for my P4P, its more for the extra power than it is for the distance but to test can only really be done by distance.

Its deffo in FCC mode as per the /areacode logs (just getting that in there from the get go)

Thing is, theres not a lot of difference, most certainly not the 7km distance as stated in the specs, in standard for the UK, CE Mode it can do between 2600m and 3000m, thats on a day with the most idealsit of conditions, i.e., clear skies, little to no wind, flat ground with nothing in the way.

In FCC max is between 3048m and 3352m, same conditions as above, but as you can seen, i have been more specific with the numbers, i dont think the extra 350m is much of an improvment for 4w really lol well, more like 3.6w improvement.

After thought question, the goggles wouldnt hinder this test would they? (HDMI mode)
2018-5-19
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The P4 pro gives you the option of 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz.
Have you tried both?
2018-5-19
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I only fly in 2.4 due to the area i fly in, the only interference would be from me and as 2.4 is for distance then thats what i stick to when testing, see link for the area and i fly out towards North/North west area

https://goo.gl/maps/trMjnhBSjyE2
2018-5-19
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just looked and i see that 5.8 is just as good in FCC mode, unlike in CE mode where 2.4 is better for distance, i will try 5.8 on the next test, thanks..
2018-5-19
Use props
KedDK
Captain
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

imo an obstacle test would be more worth than distance, eg. flying behind trees and like to see how great it keep the connection in FCC compared to CE.
Can't tell about the regular controller with the HDMI module but on the + the CE range are getting lesser by several hundred meters when HDMI is active even it is not connected to anything, could be worth testing out too.
2018-5-20
Use props
luciens
Captain
  • >>>
United States

A couple of things:
- the stated range is over 4 miles, but the actual figure in practice is probably about half that even on 2.4ghz. With my P4P, it's useable only out to about 2.5 miles or a little more; to see how rapidly it degrades after that, though, I can't really do because battery life is the limitation there.
- to get even the 2.5 miles range, I've always had to exceed 400' AGL altitude by a large margin, usually up to the 500M-above-TO-point limit. Most range tests you see on youtube and in reviews and such are with the machine kept at 400' AGL, which significantly reduces the range even more. In my own tests maintaining 400' AGL, it starts getting uncomfortable to use at around 1.5 miles and is no longer fun at 2, even on 2.4ghz.
- using the goggles won't affect the range.
- the CE effective radiated power is stated as 17dbm (2.4ghz) or about 50 mw. FCC is 26dbm which is about 400mw. Enough for there to be a noticeable difference, but not necessarily night and day more range at 400mw than with 50mw.  So what you're seeing in terms of the difference sounds about right....

2018-5-20
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
First Officer
Flight distance : 1824291 ft
  • >>>

In fcc 5.8 is def better for me for distance and signal... it is even stronger than 2.4 gigahertz it has more DBM.... theoretically yes 2.4 should do better but that is not the case if you search around the internet you will see the 5.8 is very good with the Phantom 4 Pro as a matter of fact I have achieved some of my best distances in 5.8 most recently 22000 out one way....give 5.8 a try.
2018-5-20
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for the input folks, hoping to get out there this morning as long as one o the my beardies does not have the squits, i now have the HDMI to try off and the 5.8 and I will try both separately

I have noticed i can land and take off at about 100m from the RC where as before in CE it would lose connection on landing and i had to wlak closer to connect again
2018-5-20
Use props
goldrock
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1893983 ft
Australia

ive seen them go over 7km in CE mode with smooth video.. There are a lot of variables that may affect this as we all know. Get it all right and it will go further than the std battery will take it. As for FCC mode on the P4P, not much difference in the tests ive seen. Video seems to start dropping out at about the same time on either mode.
2018-5-20
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

goldrock Posted at 2018-5-20 23:06
ive seen them go over 7km in CE mode with smooth video.. There are a lot of variables that may affect this as we all know. Get it all right and it will go further than the std battery will take it. As for FCC mode on the P4P, not much difference in the tests ive seen. Video seems to start dropping out at about the same time on either mode.

I am not sure how they managed to go over as its only a maximum of 3.5km in 2.4g and 2km in 5.8g??  
2018-5-21
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ok, done some testing this morning and maxed out at 16,000ft (4.9km) that was in 5.8g with (thanks to Lab's for the pointer) and it was the same with and without the parbollack, now that is much better and quite happy with it, i did the same with and without the goggles, i didnt notice any difference with signal but i did notice a drop in remaining time with the goggles, i lost about 2-3 minutes when connected to HDMI
2018-5-21
Use props
KedDK
Captain
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Bashy Posted at 2018-5-21 01:17
Ok, done some testing this morning and maxed out at 16,000ft (4.9km) that was in 5.8g with (thanks to Lab's for the pointer) and it was the same with and without the parbollack, now that is much better and quite happy with it, i did the same with and without the goggles, i didnt notice any difference with signal but i did notice a drop in remaining time with the goggles, i lost about 2-3 minutes when connected to HDMI

Thanks for the info, one more thing to have in mind, on 5.8GHz the signal would be more sensitive in case a obstacle get in the path compared to 2.4GHz.
Also a interesting final remark, can it be an coincidence? - the aircraft should not in any way know or be influenced of what you connect to the RC in matter of flight time.
2018-5-21
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes, it could very well have been coincidental, but I did check it multiple times, 3 or 4 and it did the same, but, it week have been wind speed changing.....
2018-5-21
Use props
goldrock
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1893983 ft
Australia

Bashy Posted at 2018-5-21 01:12
I am not sure how they managed to go over 3.5km in 2.4 and 2km in 5.8g??

tell the bird that ;)
2018-5-23
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There is one more test i need to try but i dont think theres much more to get from it and thats to set the device to US English.

As to some getting 7km with theirs in FCC mode, i can only surmise that not all setups are identical, i.e. there must be some limiting factor within either the AC or RC, i think this because the conditions that i did the tests could not have been any better, the area could not have been any better either...
2018-5-23
Use props
Aerial-Image
Captain
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I thought FCC or CE mode was set by your GPS location your flying as its built into the fw for TX & you cant switch between them?- so you seem to be getting the perfect max CE (UK) range at 3000m-3500m.
2018-5-23
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes it is but you can force fcc mode, i cannot get past 3000m in CE mode with and without parabolacksIn FCC mode i can do 15000ft without and 16000 with parabolacks
2018-5-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules