Mavic suddenly start to decent into precipice
489 6 2018-5-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Henrysol
lvl.1
Costa Rica

Hi,
I want to share an issue that happend few weeks ago wih my Mavic Pro.  

I was in a mountain road and I tried to take a footage of the river below, the landscape was a forest and the mavic was moving into a precipice. When the Mavic take off and set the RTH, I began to take my footage and moving my Mavic into the precipice horizontanlly (see the video), suddenly my Mavic started to descent and dropping.  When the sensor detect an altitud higher than 120 meters the Mavic dropped.   I was able to recover my Mavic because when I tried to return the sensor detect the inclination of the ground.

Next month I am planning to visit UK and I would like to take some footage of the cliff, but because my prior experience I am afraid to do that.  I do not know how to explain what happened with my Mavic, so appreciate your feedback about it.

Thanks,
2018-5-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

No video, and it might help to put up your flight log.
2018-5-20
Use props
Folkestone
First Officer
Flight distance : 843199 ft
United Kingdom

I fly over cliffs all the time with mine and the altitude seems to be measured from take off point rather than the actual ground level. When I fly over the cliff, it doesn’t just add another 50 or 60m to the altitude.
2018-5-20
Use props
Henrysol
lvl.1
Costa Rica

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-20 07:35

Thanks for remind me check my flight log. I did it and I realized that on that flight It was displayed the message “Aircraft GPS signal too weak”.   There were only 6 satelite available so my Mavic lost its  GPS coordinates.
It makes me be more awareness about flying my Mavic, from now and ever.

Thanks,
2018-5-20
Use props
Henrysol
lvl.1
Costa Rica

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-20 07:35

Thanks for remind me check my flight log. I did it and I realized that on that flight It was displayed the message “Aircraft GPS signal too weak”.   There were only 6 satelite available so my Mavic lost its  GPS coordinates.

Thanks,
2018-5-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Henrysol Posted at 2018-5-20 20:39
Thanks for remind me check my flight log. I did it and I realized that on that flight It was displayed the message “Aircraft GPS signal too weak”.   There were only 6 satelite available so my Mavic lost its  GPS coordinates.

Then the reason for aircraft landing is. There is a failsafe built into aircraft when you have weak gps its max height will only go to 16 ft , so when you went over the cliff it was obviously now at higher altitude than 16ft, so it was trying to get back to that limit.

It all worked out well and you managed to retrieve . Good luck...
2018-5-21
Use props
Henrysol
lvl.1
Costa Rica

You has clarified my doubt about this issue, thanks a lot.  
2018-5-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules