How Much Damage Did I Just Inflict
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
_ohio_
New
United States

First time flyer and I managed to flip my Phantom 3 Pro upside down. I was landing in grass, and I don't know if the ground had a rock or something that I didn't see, but the drone slowly rolled backwards and flipped completely upside down. I panicked and ran over and got ahold of the thing and got it upright. It was upside down with motors going for maybe 5-8 seconds. The motors emitted a rather loud higher pitched whirl sound during this.

Afterwards I was able to take it on a couple brief flights without issue. I don't think any significant damage took place as if flew just fine.

But did I just shave off a ton of life off the poor motors?

Thanks in advance.

2018-5-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Probably no damage at all.
In future, try shutting down by holding just the left stick straight down for 3 seconds after landing.
That way the Phantom won't want to tip over.
2018-5-20
Use props
Hurley1718
First Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

You could have landed on a slight incline causing the flip. If you were able to fly it around afterwards and if it doesn't sound any different than before then you should be ok.
2018-5-20
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

Glad you came through it OK.
Make sure you push the left stick straight down and not to the left or right as that can make it tip.
Check your motors by spinning them by hand listening for grittiness.
2018-5-20
Use props
Oldav8tor
lvl.2
United States

Hmmm..... maybe an idea for a RC lawnmower.       Just kidding, I suspect it is fine.  I've taken to using a landing pad to assure a flat surface and keep it out of the grass and flying dust.
2018-5-20
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>

been there, done that! As Aeromirage suggests just hand turn props and listen but I'd say if it's up and staying up don't worry.
2018-5-20
Use props
Just_nick
lvl.4

Time to buy a P4P
2018-5-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules