2446 35 2018-5-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jbundy63
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9583182 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello everyone, I have been debating to post or not but after today I thought I would give a try and see if anyone else is experiencing this issue. I have also searched and have only seen a couple of issues without resolve or no answers. I am not new to DJI aircraft and have 5 others with no issues with GPS.

I only have 20 flights or so on my Inspire 2 and about 6 flights out of them in mid flight I get a GPS weak? compass error. sometimes its fine during the whole flight. When it happened up until today it was only a few seconds. I would switch to Atti and then back to P mode and all was fine from that point on. Today I got more concerned because it lasted about a minute and I toggled the P to Atti and back and forth and took a minute or so to regain GPS.

After the first few times with the GPS issue I refreshed the firmware (Lastest version), recalibrated IMU and compass, thought that may have helped up until today.

I tried to upload a Dat flight file but it would not let me.  What is the best way to do that on here?

Any help or input would be appreciated.

Jim

2018-5-20
Use props
Reckoner
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1791768 ft

Hi Jim,

I'm pretty sure i've suffered the same issue as you have and mine went back to DJI for around a month for this issue as well as a landing gear fault.

I believe I have solved this issue and what it appears to be related to is the motor arm alignment between left and right.

I went to Australia back in March and took my Inspire 2 along. Whilst there each and every flight I conducted had at least 1 instance of the Inspire going into atti mode and then back to P mode. Even though I had full GPS. At first i put it down to some interference but after 10 or so flights with it happening each time i suspected a problem somewhere. Looking at the logs its looks more related to the compass. Speaking to support they told me it wouldn't take much for this error to be thrown up if there was a small disagreement between the IMU and the compass. IT doesn't help with the inspire 2 having only one compass.

My Inspire 2 developed a landing gear fault so was sent back. I asked them to look into the Yaw issue. When the Inspire was plugged into their test bench they couldn't find an issue.

Fast forward 6 weeks and my inspire returned with a new landing gear but on its first flight back I got the same yaw message with its following mode change into atti and then back into GPS mode.

Later on that night I noticed that whilst in landing mode with the blades attached the motors were offset. I adjusted the arms so that the blades were aligned as previously they were offset about 15mm form left to right. I took the inspire for a test flight and noticed straight away that drone hovered much better. Anyway 4 flights since and I have not seen the compass yaw error.

Please have a look at your motor alignment and if its out please adjust and try another flight to see if it cures the problem like it did for me.

Cheers
Reckoner
2018-5-21
Use props
Jbundy63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Hello Reckoner,

Thank you for your reply, I went back on my 23 flight logs and seen where there was a lot of yaw errors thru Air-data software, which didn’t show all those during my flights. It was as soon as the 3rd flight, right after I purchased it.

I have noticed that the left rear CCW Motor has slack and makes s popping noise when checking for slack, all other 3 are fine and have no slack or movement.

I have contacted DJI by email and waiting their response.

When you say the motors were offset, do you mean the angle of the motor compared to the others? Could you post a photo if possible? I will definitely check that when I get home tonight and let you know what I see.

Also if you can keep me posted on how yours is during in its next several flights.

Thanks so much for your reply.

Safe flying
Jim
2018-5-21
Use props
Reckoner
lvl.3

Hi jbundy,

Have a look at this thread and you'll see what I mean. https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D385%26typeid%3D385

Off to Monaco tomorrow and taking the inspire 2 so i'll let you know how it goes down there this week.

Reckoner
2018-5-21
Use props
Jbundy63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Reckoner Posted at 2018-5-21 09:25
Hi jbundy,

Have a look at this thread and you'll see what I mean. https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D385%26typeid%3D385

Hello Reckoner,

Thanks, I see what you mean. I haven't noticed any hover issues but I did check the motor/ prop offset and mine was an 1/8 of an inch higher on one side. I did get them leveled out as per the thread you told me to check.

I went out and flew 6.4 miles, regular P mode and Sport mode and did not see any issues. I did download that flight data to Airdata and there was not one single yaw error, yesterday's flight had 27 yaw errors.

So I will keep an eye out on my flights and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the help! Have  a safe trip to Monaco, be safe, fly safe and will talk to you soon.

2018-5-21
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi,
How many GPS are you getting under the application? Please make sure that we are not flying in hazardous environment.
2018-5-22
Use props
Jbundy63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Hi DJI  Tony,

I had GPS of 17 satellites on takeoff and it stayed around 17 to 18 the whole time up until I got the weak GPS signal, it’s showed 18 then the bars just dropped. Here is a screenshot of where it dropped out.

I have 5 other DJI drones, P3P, P4, P4Pro, Inspire 1 and Mavic P Platinum and none of them have had this issue flying in the same area for the last couple of years.

Is it possible that the Inspire 2 is somehow more susceptible to this type of issue?
3B628177-8198-4AF9-944D-BD932688EB73.png
2018-5-22
Use props
Jbundy63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI  Tony,

I did check what Reckoner replied to me and did a slight adjust of the motor angle on one side which was an 1/8 in difference and since have flown 3 long flights in P and Sport modes and have had no issues in the same area,  still testing to see how more flights do.

I have been checking them in Airdata and am not seeing the Yaw errors as I had a lot of my previous flights.

Is this possible to have this effect?

I will let you know the outcome.
2018-5-22
Use props
Jbundy63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Before the adjust.

F296EACB-2E8A-4A12-BBC0-B32A3157A498.png
2018-5-22
Use props
Jbundy63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Before the adjust.

EAA863B0-CA87-4694-B937-D51877E98DFC.png
2018-5-22
Use props
Jbundy63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

After the adjust.

BC1ED1FD-5807-4BCE-BE94-8BA6D33A02E7.png
2018-5-22
Use props
Jbundy63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

After the adjust.

68F85705-309A-466C-A5E1-0E4ABDE1A11C.png
2018-5-22
Use props
Reckoner
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hi Jbundy,

Great to hear that this also fixed the issue for you. I was on a couple of flights last night near Monaco and still don't have the error again and now the same for you. I think we have found a robust solution.

The question now to DJI is what is the correct angel spec for the mototr arms in landing mode and flight mode.

It would be great if DJI replied to us with the correct measurements so we aren't just eyeballing it. Really we should have a spec and limit.

Cheers
Reckoner
2018-5-23
Use props
Jbundy63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Reckoner Posted at 2018-5-23 08:28
Hi Jbundy,

Great to hear that this also fixed the issue for you. I was on a couple of flights last night near Monaco and still don't have the error again and now the same for you. I think we have found a robust solution.

Hello Reckoner,

I agree! I wish DJI would release that kind of specification so we know for sure where it should be?

So far I've done 6 flights, 98 minutes and so far so good!

I'm still trying to figure out in my mind how this could cause such an issue (effect)  Especially since mine was only 1/8 inch difference from side to side?  But believe me I'm not complaining

Well good deal! Let me know how yours does and I'll do the same after I do several more flights!

Stay safe and fly safe!

Jim
2018-5-23
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Jbundy63 Posted at 2018-5-22 16:27
DJI  Tony,

I did check what Reckoner replied to me and did a slight adjust of the motor angle on one side which was an 1/8 in difference and since have flown 3 long flights in P and Sport modes and have had no issues in the same area,  still testing to see how more flights do.

Glad to know that you were able to fix the problem, nothing to worry I'll be forwarding this scenario and issue that you encountered on your inspire 2 to our engineers, so they could conduct some investigation with this. Thank you.
2018-5-24
Use props
Jbundy63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-5-24 14:27
Glad to know that you were able to fix the problem, nothing to worry I'll be forwarding this scenario and issue that you encountered on your inspire 2, to our engineers so they could conduct some investigation with this. Thank you.

Thanks DJI Tony,

I did send it the flight data thru the DJI Assistant link several days ago but have not heard anything, so not sure they got it?

I did even more flights today and all has been great.

Let us know if you do hear anything about this and  about the motor angles if you can.

Jim
2018-5-24
Use props
Reckoner
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hi jbundy and DJI Tony,

So 5 flights in Monaco and all good, except for my very last flight and about 1 minute from the end I had this issue pop up.

After I landed and shut down I could see that my blades were not aligned to each other. I did notice that previously when I first altered the angel of the arms, the bolts were not great to tighten back up as they are easy to damage. Today I have changed these bolts for some better hex M3 x 8 with some 222 locitite. I was able to get a better tightening feel to these cap heads. I will be going out for 2 flights tonight and i'm hoping that the issue won't re-appear.

I'll report back tomorrow!

Reckoner
2018-5-25
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Jbundy63 Posted at 2018-5-24 18:39
Thanks DJI Tony,

I did send it the flight data thru the DJI Assistant link several days ago but have not heard anything, so not sure they got it?

Hi, I'm glad to hear that you had a great flight, nothing to worry I already forwarded the issue about the motor angle to our engineers and rest assured that once I received a feedback from them we will inform you right away and regarding your flight data, could you please provide me more information about this concern?
2018-5-25
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Reckoner Posted at 2018-5-25 04:52
Hi jbundy and DJI Tony,

So 5 flights in Monaco and all good, except for my very last flight and about 1 minute from the end I had this issue pop up.

We do apologize if you were not able to finish your flight in Monaco, however you manage to capture a great image like this one. Kindly inform us if the issue will occur.
2018-5-25
Use props
Jbundy63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Reckoner Posted at 2018-5-25 04:52
Hi jbundy and DJI Tony,

Hi Reckoner,

Dang I believe this now has something to do with the GPS issue, an weird as it sounds.

I'm glad you were able to find some screws there, hoping this will work for you. Please do keep me informed on how it goes.

I've done several more flights without any issues, but will sure let you know how mine is doing and I will continue to keep an eye on mine as time goes.

Stay safe and talk to you soon!
And Yes......Very cool pic!!!
2018-5-25
Use props
Jbundy63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-5-25 08:02
Hi, I'm glad to hear that you had a great flight, nothing to worry I already forwarded the issue about the motor angle to our engineers and rest assured that once I received a feedback from them we will inform you right away and regarding your flight data, could you please provide me more information about this concern?

Hi DJI Tony,

Thanks!  What exactly do you need from me to provide you with more information?

Just let me know when you can.

2018-5-25
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Jbundy63 Posted at 2018-5-25 12:33
Hi DJI Tony,

Thanks!  What exactly do you need from me to provide you with more information?

This issue has been forwarded now to our engineers if we need some information in regards to this concern for further investigation we will let you know. Thank you for your cooperation.
2018-5-25
Use props
Reckoner
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hello Again,

Carried out a further 2 flights last night with my motor arms re-aligned and tightened with new bolts with loctite. Overall it was up in the air for around 40 miunutes last night with no issues.

Thanks
Reckoner
2018-5-25
Use props
Jbundy63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Hi Reckoner,

That's good to hear, hopefully you will have no more issues after your fix.

I did a couple of more flights as well and no issues.
I am downloading and looking at my flight data as well after each flight to see if anything shows, so far all looks good.

Continuing to monitor this.

Best of luck!

Thanks
Jim
2018-5-26
Use props
Jbundy63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Hey Reckoner,

How’s your Inspire 2 doing?

Mine finally messed up, I checked the prop alignment and it was off maybe a 1/16 not much at all. I recalibrated the compass and it did good. After that 2 more flights in a row, same issue both 10 to 20 seconds each. I contacted DJI and they want to fly in a different locations to see if it reoccurs. So I’ll see what happens and let you know.

I’ve searched this forum and found someone else that sent theirs back in and it was the Main Controller assembly. I’m now wondering if that could be the issue because when it does it my gimbal goes loose and when GPS comes back the camera is pointing in a different direction and nor pointing to the front of the craft. You have to hit the C1 button to get it back facing forward.

Let me know how’s yours is doing?

Later
Jim
2018-5-31
Use props
Reckoner
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hi J-Bundy,

I didn't fly mine back in the UK last week, but I am now in Montreal Canada this week and went out for 2 flights last night. Still didn't have any occurances of this issue. I read your latest post which is a little dissapointing to hear.

Strange if the issue is the main controller? I wonder how that manifests itself?

I will hopefully have a couple further more flights this evening if I get chance and will report back with results.

Reckoner
2018-6-6
Use props
Jbundy63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Hi Reckoner,

Glad to hear yours is still doing good. Very good news!

I have had several compass/ yaw and GPS drop outs the last several flights. But I got to thinking because I have a parachute system on my Inspire 2 with a manual trigger set up since I first got it. It has a receiver on the drone and is battery powered.

I believe I might be onto something because I have left it turned off the last 8 flights without issue and have flown in that area that I was getting so many errors. So this may indeed be my problem. Continuing to do more flights and then turn it on and if it all of a sudden reoccurs then I will know. Will definitely let you know the outcome.

So glad yours is good, fly safe and will talk later.
2018-6-6
Use props
Reckoner
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hi Jbundy,

Sounds like you have a bit of lead on what may be causing yours.

Unfortunately, I had it occur last night on a flight in Montreal. It was a place not flown in before but my IMU and Compass were in a good status condition. What I did notice though was that my Inspire 2 was not hovering as stable as it usualy does. It wasn't all over the place as some others have shown on this forum however it was making some small adjustments whilst in the hover. More than ususal.

Then after 17 minutes of flying I had the gps error which came form the compass error.

I checked the alignment of my arms and they were still ok. Changed batteries and went up again for another 20 mins or so with no further occurances.

I believe this error, for me, is related to the stability of the inspire 2. When i notice it to be hovering nicely I don't see the error. If its twitching around then I seem to get the GPS/Yaw error.

My inspire was back with DJI to repair a landing gear fault and also to look into the compass/Yaw/GPS error and they found nothing. I had to pay £480 to repair the landing gear and I also spent £3700 on the Inspire 2 with another £400 for a second set of batteries and yet I don't see DJI on this Forum trying to help. My x4s does not point straight and i'm still getting random Yaw errors with no response from DJI.

Sorry for the rant but my patience is wearing thin considering the amount of money I have given DJI.

Please DJI at least try and look concerned and supportive.  
2018-6-7
Use props
Jbundy63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Hi Reckoner,

Damn I hate to hear this because I too last night did a late flight and got 2 yaw errors, not as bad as it had in the past but who knows how it will act next flight?

I’m concerned as you because no one has really commented on this post so I don’t know if it’s just us or other people are having this issue? I hate at this point to send it in and like you get no resolve and mine is only 2 months old. I keep thinking we might hear if there is an issue with firmware or something but no answer.

I’ve have had such good luck with the other 6 DJI drones I have and it is getting frustrating and not sure to do at this point?
I as well have bought extra batteries and a Crystalsky Ultra for my Inspire2.

Hopefully DJI Tony, Mindy, Thor or someone will give us an answer on what may be going on?
2018-6-7
Use props
Jbundy63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

From the other day! Completely different location in the country.
3EF50F77-8905-4C7F-9DE7-EA65674FCC88.png
2018-6-7
Use props
Reckoner
lvl.3
United Kingdom

HI Jbundy,

Well 3rd day in Montreal and went again for a few flights last night next to the abandoned grain silo 5. Probably the worst flight i've had with the Inspire 2.

Powered up and the error came up for the gimbal connection even though the gimbal is correctly installed. Wouldn't show an image on the app form the x4s. Turned off the drone and re fitted the gimbal. This worked.

I then noticed that all my camera settings had reverted back to factory settings.

THe gimbal is now starting to drift to the left and to the right slowly even when on the ground. When in the air it is impossible to get some good shots as the camera is constantly drifting.

Unstable hover, checked the orientation of the props and they are aligned.

And then as a result I had a number of compass errors and jumping into Atti mode and then back into GPS mode.

As my Inspire 2 has recently been back to Heliguy and DJI to be checked over I would assume that the compass wasn't flagged up as being faulty. So is this Firmware?

I appear to have 3 issues.

Reckoner
2018-6-8
Use props
Reckoner
lvl.3
United Kingdom

testtest
test
2018-6-8
Use props
Jbundy63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Reckoner Posted at 2018-6-8 04:41
HI Jbundy,

Well 3rd day in Montreal and went again for a few flights last night next to the abandoned grain silo 5. Probably the worst flight i've had with the Inspire 2.

Hi Reckoner,

I know man its really frustrating why no answers?  the flight I showed you above was several days ago with all the yaw errors

Do me a favor, can you refresh the aircraft thru DJI Assistant, re calibrated the IMU, re-calibrate the gimbal, and then the compass in a clean sight. I've done this a couple of times  and now I'm getting maybe one or two very short yaw errors of 1 to 2 seconds, several flights it doesn't even show the error on the Go4 app. but I will find it in Airdata, Airdata isn't an exact perfect software for flight data but better than nothing. Plus I've still left my parachute system off on these last several flights, which I'm still a little in question about? Try this if you can please and let me know if it helps yours, mine so far has been defiantly better but still in testing.

Like you I'm wondering about firmware but cannot seem to get an answer.

Let me know how it goes after that and I will do the same.

Jim
2018-6-8
Use props
Reckoner
lvl.3

Hi Jbundy,

Well over the weekend I was busy in Canada with various things but Monday I managed to get out during the day for some more photography with the I2. I re cal'd my compass and had 2 interrupted flights.

On Thursday night my issues came straight after re calling my compass in that particular area I flew. I didn't need to cal the compass but I thought I might as well. Now I am wondering if the compass is just really sensitive and it appears that getting a good cal, ie in the middle of no where, is vitally important for the I2.

All the other flights I had in Canada last week were fine and my previous compass cal had been a few weeks previous when I did that in an open field.

Obviously this is not conclusive but the only change i made from Thursday to Monday's flights were a compass re cal and everything was good. Thursday night I re cal'd my compass 3 times but the flight performance was still bad. I am now thinking that the area (I was in an urban built up area trying to get shots of a disused grain Silo) was not good for a compass cal.

I think going forward it is important to know that there is a good compass cal in the drone. MAybe cal'n the compass each and every time is a chance of potentially inducing compass issues.

Worth noting I think. Personally now I know I have a "Good cal" I won't re cal until DJI Go4 tells me to?

Thanks
Reckoner
2018-6-12
Use props
Reckoner
lvl.3

Sorry I mean't on Monday I had 2 UN interrupted flights!

Also why does the I2 only have 1 compass when all other drones released in that generation have 2 compasses? There must have been a good reason for DJI to only have 1 compass for the I2 and would love to know why?
2018-6-12
Use props
Jbundy63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Reckoner Posted at 2018-6-12 23:14
Sorry I mean't on Monday I had 2 UN interrupted flights!

Also why does the I2 only have 1 compass when all other drones released in that generation have 2 compasses? There must have been a good reason for DJI to only have 1 compass for the I2 and would love to know why?

No problem. Did you redo the firmware thru DJI Assistant  (Refresh)  IMU, Gimbal and Compass? I have done probably around 30 flights without any issue, at first I would have one very brief 2 to 3 second compass issue but now all seems good. I have even started (turned on) my parachute system and still all is good. Really weird!

Not sure why the I2 only has one compass, but my P4, P4P and Mavic PP have 2. Must be a reason why, I would like to know as well?

I know on the old Phantom 3 Pro I have, they would tell you to re calibrate the compass every flight but I never did unless my compass reading on the Go app looked higher than 1500, If I drove a hundred miles to a different location I would. But on the newer P4P. Mavic and I2 they say you don't really do compass re-calibration unless the app says but that is one thing I did with my I2 was re-calibrate the compass 3 or 4 times and (along will the IMU) and all my issues have disappeared.

Keep doing what your doing and then see if after a while without doing the compass calibration if your issue finely goes away. I maybe wrong but I thought I read that the I2 uses algorithms and somewhat learns as it goes?  Just not sure.

Keep in touch on how it goes.

Jim

111.png
2018-6-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules