Newbie - Cannot get Phantom 4 Pro/Controller/Samsung Note 8 to work
1215 8 2018-5-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JoeFriday
lvl.1
United States

Hi all,

I am a complete newbie to drones, so please forgive my utter ignorance.

I purchased a Phantom 4 Pro and am having a terrible time trying to get the aircraft to link with my controller/Samsung Galaxy Note 8 andoid phone and the DJI Go 4 android app on the phone noted.

I think part of my problem is a firmware mismatch.

I have successfully updated the Phantom 4 Pro aircraft to Firmware Version .01.05.0600

The Controller is a lesser version number, I think, and the odd thing is I cannot find the same version number as the Aircraft on the DJI Firmware Upgrade site.

When I do plug in my controller to the computer and launch DJI Assistant 2, it tells me ' Your device is not supported.'   What??!!  My DJI controller is not supported by DJI  ??

I have no idea how to do this.  I tried to do it through the DJI Go 4 android app on my phone, and although it says I need a firmware upgrade, I click on that notification in the Go Fly app and it takes me to a 'black screen' and does nothing.  Most screwed up app ever.

I *think* I have successfully, at least partially, got the aircraft and controller to 'link'.... and the DJI Go 4 app says that it is 'connected' when both devices are on, yet, I have no picture on the phone, except massive chunky pixelation.

I hit the 'auto launch' icon followed by sliding the 'fly' slider on the DJI Go 4 app and the unit actually does rise in the air about 4 feet, and I can fly it around, but I get massive alerts saying 'no signal'... 'lo battery' (which neither device is low on juice) and a constand beeping noise....

The tiny connection light on the aircraft is 'red' and the connection light on the controller does an alternating 'fast flicker' of green/red/green/red.....

I thought they were both supposed to be 'blue' when successfully linked????

I am SO FRUSTRATED.... $1500 plus a second battery and I cannot even see where the hell I am flying except by eye contact.

I am not sure why DJI makes linking devices SO hard in this day of plug and play tech....

Can one of you experts guide me along in baby steps and assist me getting to a solid position where I can enjoy my purchase?  Many thanks.
2018-5-20
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft

Like many newbies, you have probably not read the manual. Go to this link and download a copy of the manual and have a read of it.
https://www.dji.com/phantom-4-pro/info#downloads
The RC is not updated via Assistant 2, it is updated through the DJI GO 4 app. Just connect your RC to your phone with the cable, turn on the RC and open the app. Do not turn on the drone. If you don't see a message to update the firmware, then long press the 3 bars top right hand corner of the app and you should get the firmware update page. The firmware versions of the RC and drone are not the same version number. The latest firmware for your RC is V 1.4.1.0Re link the drone to the RC as per the instructions in the manual.
I would strongly suggest you do not fly the drone until everything is updated correctly and the app is working correctly.
Let us know how you get on.
2018-5-20
Use props
JoeFriday
lvl.1
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2018-5-20 22:01
Like many newbies, you have probably not read the manual. Go to this link and download a copy of the manual and have a read of it.
https://www.dji.com/phantom-4-pro/info#downloads
The RC is not updated via Assistant 2, it is updated through the DJI GO 4 app. Just connect your RC to your phone with the cable, turn on the RC and open the app. Do not turn on the drone. If you don't see a message to update the firmware, then long press the 3 bars top right hand corner of the app and you should get the firmware update page. The firmware versions of the RC and drone are not the same version number. The latest firmware for your RC is V 1.4.1.0Re link the drone to the RC as per the instructions in the manual.

Jenee 2 to the rescue !!!  Thank you so much!!!  All is well and FPV works flawlessly on my Galaxy Note 8 phone.  

I read everything that *was included* in regards to my manuals.... although, after reading your initial statement, I went back to my 'box' and spread out all the manuals that came with my drone... the attached is what I have.... am I missing a manual?  I thought the documentation was rather sketchy and was trying to rely upon YouTube videos for the most part to get firmware connected/updated.

I didn't come across your excellent instructions in the materials I had, nor on YouTube... so thank you for the detailed information - - it was perfect!!

I am wondering if the 3 year old in the Chinese factory forgot to throw the main manual into my box?

Thanks again!
2018-5-21
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft

JoeFriday Posted at 2018-5-21 06:12
Jenee 2 to the rescue !!!  Thank you so much!!!  All is well and FPV works flawlessly on my Galaxy Note 8 phone.  

I read everything that *was included* in regards to my manuals.... although, after reading your initial statement, I went back to my 'box' and spread out all the manuals that came with my drone... the attached is what I have.... am I missing a manual?  I thought the documentation was rather sketchy and was trying to rely upon YouTube videos for the most part to get firmware connected/updated.

The full manuals are not sent with the new drones as they are updated from time to time. So it is a good idea to check the downloads section to see if the manual has been updated.
The link I posted above is for the previous Phantom 4 Pro which is probably what you have. However, the Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 has a newer manual and also includes the previous Phantom 4 Pro. When reading this manual you need to make sure you are reading the correct information for the actual Phantom you have and for the correct RC. Here is a link to the newer manual:

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... _User_Manual_EN.pdf
2018-5-21
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Joe, sorry for the late response. The full user manual can be found on the official website: https://www.dji.com/phantom-4-pro/info#downloads
Click the Download parts, you can find many related documents.

Please refer Jenee's suggestion and try to update the RC first, then link RC to see whether it works well. I'll attach the tutorial video for your reference.

2018-5-22
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

JoeFriday Posted at 2018-5-21 06:12
Jenee 2 to the rescue !!!  Thank you so much!!!  All is well and FPV works flawlessly on my Galaxy Note 8 phone.  

What does the quick-start guide tell you in the very end?
2018-5-22
Use props
JoeFriday
lvl.1
United States

KedDK Posted at 2018-5-22 01:27
What does the quick-start guide tell you in the very end?

I don't know what the Quick Start Guide says in the very end... because it transitions to a language that I cannot read...the beginning is in English and the end is in a foreign language.... lol....  Gotcha!!!
2018-5-23
Use props
JoeFriday
lvl.1
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-5-22 00:25
Hi Joe, sorry for the late response. The full user manual can be found on the official website: https://www.dji.com/phantom-4-pro/info#downloads
Click the Download parts, you can find many related documents.

Ooops!  Looks like a neglected to thank you for your reply on this way back when..... THANK YOU!  
2019-3-25
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

JoeFriday Posted at 3-25 06:53
Ooops!  Looks like a neglected to thank you for your reply on this way back when..... THANK YOU!

My pleasure. If there is anything else we can help, feel free to contact us.
2019-3-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules