Crash after firmware update
3968 13 2014-11-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nicodevries1983
lvl.1

Netherlands

Hi,

so the other day my friend called me and said that the latest firmwares were up. Until yesterday I have had 0 problems with my P2V+ and was very confident, flew 800m out of sights/ flew 20 mins above a lake etc etc. All was very good, until yesterday when I have updated the whole shebang (APP, firmwares, battery, everything). Another friend called and asked for pictures of his home, once there I did the normal calibration and waited till I got enough sats, I had 11 so I took off when home position was locked. Immediatly the drone was on some automatic flight eventhough I had all satts and it was totally uncontrollable till it crashed itself very very hard on the street. It broke the props and a motor and my confidende took a hit. After this major-failure I have investigated what was wrong and discovered that the new updates totally messed up the compass. Once gps drops, it flips the compass totally out of range and I guess that's what happend and it got into the RTH mode and crashed (it thought the drone was 800m+ away).

At home I have investigated this bug and made a video of it where you can see the compass flipping that leads to a lot problems, so I suggest, DON'T update the drone without testing fully because it can destroy your drone. I will be returning this one/ or get it fixed under warrenty

Here goes the video
http://youtu.be/34TOpRAtoXQ

2014-11-1
Use props
palak.desai
lvl.1

United States

i updated and mine works fine
2014-11-1
Use props
robbin.bergqvis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 59839 ft

Croatia

Dont remember if i saw this on youtube or if i read it in the manual, but ALWAYS do all calibrations after a update of the drone. Even the advanced calibration.
2014-11-1
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Excellent video, that shows more information that some people cant deny....
2014-11-1
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

I thought the compass only displays properly with GPS lock.
Its one of the things I wait for before flying as it confirms the home point.
By covering and uncovering the GPS unit you are just making the phantom lose GPS lock and re-acquire it.
2014-11-1
Use props
pretend
New

Netherlands

Hoi nico de vries..ook ik heb hetzelfde na de nieuwe update..Ik  ben hem niet kwijt of stuk maar opeens kan ik niet verder dan 300 meter vliegen ...voor de updaten vloog ik 1.6 km......wat.
2014-11-1
Use props
arjen.landman
lvl.2

Netherlands

all went well here too!
2014-11-1
Use props
nicodevries1983
lvl.1

Netherlands

alright I have updated the video, since the quality was very low. It's HD now ;)

2014-11-3
Use props
stagehandny
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1613461 ft
  • >>>
United States

nicodevries1983 Posted at 2014-11-3 21:10
alright I have updated the video, since the quality was very low. It's HD now ;)

https://www.youtub ...

That video is showing the gps being covered,the compass remains pointing the same direction
2014-11-3
Use props
shacks86
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1361844 ft
United Kingdom

Agreed the compass is on the leg.  You are covering the GPS module blocking the signal.  You also cant really put a complaint in if your flying in a built up area like filming your friends house where there is bound to be interference from surrounding buildings.   Its good to get a confidence knock as will make you a better pilot next time something hairy is about to happen.
2014-11-3
Use props
nicodevries1983
lvl.1

Netherlands

hi guys, thanks for the reactions! ;)
in a normal case the compass should be right in place after a loss of GPS, please see this video (first 30 seconds) :

What happend to my drone (and most likely with all other drones that have been updated,but got bugged) is that the compass is flipping around way out of the 800 meter when it lost GPS and got in RTH mode while it just was like 20 meters away and it crashed hard while being upside down. The drone literally crashed upside down so something scary is happening for sure and I will have DJI take a look at this. I don't want to fly again now without them checking it out!
2014-11-3
Use props
swomilan
lvl.4

Mexico

The compass only gives horizontal orientation since it cannot obtain that from the GPS while in one spot.
Flipping upside down would certainly not be caused by either GPS or Compass and culprit would likely be the IMU since that is what controls the attitude of the Phantom.
2014-11-3
Use props
nicodevries1983
lvl.1

Netherlands

Hey swomilan thanks for your reaction, I haven't calibrated the IMU since all numbers there are perfect and when i cliCk calibrate it says "no need to calibrate" so you guys have anymore suggestions?
2014-11-3
Use props
whitard
lvl.1

United States

robbin.bergqvis Posted at 2014-11-1 18:02
Dont remember if i saw this on youtube or if i read it in the manual, but ALWAYS do all calibrations ...

What is advanced calibration?
2014-11-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules