My MPP does not fly straight anymore [logs & video included]
568 8 2018-5-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Laurens23
lvl.1
Netherlands

Problem?
The drone is not flying straight anymore. Sometimes it’s flying at an angle as much as 20-30 deg when trying to fly straight forward and then up to 90 deg left when braking, also giving some compass errors. I'm on holiday in the EU. Back in China the drone was flying fine. I did a new compass calibration when I arrived in EU.

I did 2 flights. The details below are from the second flight. I flew low and without significant wind. I have attached the .txt the .dat and a video of the flight showing the issue:

During the long run out it worked reasonable, then tuning back there was a slight offset:
104-597 sec

Then did some testing to get some clear examples to look at in the logs at:
760-785 sec
815-830 sec
848-860 sec
878-892 sec
905-915 sec

But it does not always happen for example:
1220-125 sec it works fine

Any ideas why this issue showed up and how to get it fixed? I can;t fly like this because it is not safe. I looked at the logs and clearly see the issue, but I have no idea how to fix it. Maybe someone can dive into the logs and come with a suggestion?

Was unit in a crash?
no, never.

What have you tried so far?
Re-did compass calibration in the middle of nowhere with phone 2m away on airplane mode. (Both IMU and compass interference are showing “excellent”.)
After 1st flight I moved several km to a new location for the 2nd flight.
Tried flying in different directions.

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)?
iPhone 6S, IOS v11.3.1

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)?
Aircraft: 01.04.0300
Remote: 01.04.0300

What Go app version are you using?
DJI Go 4: v4.2.12

Any modification?

None.

Did you change anything or install any apps?
Turned off the coordinate correction for use in mainland China.

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? (if so post link)
Yes, .txt, .dat, DJI log viewer and video.

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

dropbox link to .txt and .dat flightlogs

2018-5-21
Use props
dancopter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Does the yaw drift after turning (while stationary)?
2018-5-21
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

I would recalibrate the IMU's on a perfectly flat/level surface when the AC is cooled down to around 70-75°F. IMU's may be showing excellent signal but that does not necessarily mean they are calibrated properly. IMU calibration usually corrects drift.
2018-5-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It seems to have a fair bit of drift, the fact that you were flying low will mean that VPs will be activated, you need very good surface and light for VPs to work correctly, so a better test may have been above VPs limit.
However I’m not sure it would make a big difference, you should do IMU calibration, VPS calibration and gimbal calibration, then test above 30/40 ft out of range of VPS. You really need to preform a correct IMU as Quadkid has explained above.
2018-5-21
Use props
Laurens23
lvl.1
Netherlands

dancopter Posted at 2018-5-21 02:44
Does the yaw drift after turning (while stationary)?

it does ever so slightly. but not always, and never did so before coming to EU.
2018-5-21
Use props
Laurens23
lvl.1
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-21 03:20
It seems to have a fair bit of drift, the fact that you were flying low will mean that VPs will be activated, you need very good surface and light for VPs to work correctly, so a better test may have been above VPs limit.
However I’m not sure it would make a big difference, you should do IMU calibration, VPS calibration and gimbal calibration, then test above 30/40 ft out of range of VPS. You really need to preform a correct IMU as Quadkid has explained above.

Will do the IMU calibration and then another compass calibration and do another test flight as you suggested.

I have found a bunch of people reporting this issue without a clear fix.
2018-5-21
Use props
dancopter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Laurens23 Posted at 2018-5-21 03:54
it does ever so slightly. but not always, and never did so before coming to EU.

I had a similar problem when I went on holiday to South Africa. Went away when I returned home (to the Northern hemisphere). I calibrated everything (IMU, compass, gimbal and RC) but nothing fixed it.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-85732-1-1.html
2018-5-21
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Just to add to the above it is recommended to do a cold IMU calibration for best results.
2018-5-21
Use props
Laurens23
lvl.1
Netherlands

I just did an IMU update first thing after turning on the drone (i.e. as 'cold' as possible). now I have to wait for an opportunity to do some tests. I will report back.
2018-5-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules