Drone tried to run away during Active Track
1602 17 2018-5-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bulldog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 816158 ft
United States

So I was at a golf course taking footage for the owners. First I tried to active track and circle a water feature. The drone would track for a second, then all the sudden took off full speed in the opposite direction. I thought it was strange, landed the drone, restarted everything and tried again. Same results. If I had been in a tight area, I would have crashed for sure. I will check that I am fully updated, which I think I am.

Anybody else having problems with Active Track missions failing? In the past, the drone would just stop if it lost its target. Now it appears to want to fly off when it loses it's target.
2018-5-21
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

It may be the drone lost the subject and locked onto another subject? Being you were situated in a less traffic area, it sounds strange but you should upload your flight data to see what everyone thinks?
2018-5-21
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Do not know what a "water feature" is, but it does not sound like being a device suitable for Active Track. Instead, use the POI feature on your drone.   

Regards Leif.
2018-5-21
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Landbo Posted at 2018-5-21 06:57
Do not know what a "water feature" is, but it does not sound like being a device suitable for Active Track. Instead, use the POI feature on your drone.   

Regards Leif.

Golf course ''Water feature'' - fancy name for a pond or very small lake that is part of golf course, also known as water hazard.  Especially if there is a Gator living in said pond, who thinks golf balls are eggs.
2018-5-21
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-21 07:07
Golf course ''Water feature'' - fancy name for a pond or very small lake that is part of golf course, also known as water hazard.  Especially if there is a Gator living in said pond, who thinks golf balls are eggs.

Thanks for the explanation. Also I thought it was something similar or a fontaine. The POI must definitely be the right choice to circle the pond. If you see an alligator in the pond Active Track is however the right choice to filming an reptilian on the water surface.  

Eating reptilian too many golf balls it will probably get constipation and die. Sad fate for that animal.   

Regards Leif.
2018-5-21
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
United States

So, I once again didn't explain correctly.

It was a fountain, in a water feature. The fountain was just a 6 ft vertical spout, and that is what I was trying to lock onto. The 6ft water spout itself. I will try to upload the video and once again, can somebody help me on how to upload flight data? Thanks in advance.  
2018-5-21
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Bulldog Posted at 2018-5-21 08:41
So, I once again didn't explain correctly.

It was a fountain, in a water feature. The fountain was just a 6 ft vertical spout, and that is what I was trying to lock onto. The 6ft water spout itself. I will try to upload the video and once again, can somebody help me on how to upload flight data? Thanks in advance.

can somebody help me on how to upload flight data?

If you got a Windows system, you got a decent chance via USB-cable between drone and PC, then using DJI's Assistant 2 to access flight data.

If you got a Mac, then you will be very lucky to do more than look at firmware revision or upgrade/downgrade firmware on drone.

Either way, best of luck!
2018-5-21
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

So, I once again didn't explain correctly.

It was a fountain, in a water feature. The fountain was just a 6 ft vertical spout, and that is what I was trying to lock onto. The 6ft water spout itself. I will try to upload the video and once again, can somebody help me on how to upload flight data? Thanks in advance.

The 6-foot vertical spout of water (the fountain) is not much to lock on to.  
Pretty ''fluid'' by nature and blends well with ''fluid'' filled water feature.

2018-5-21
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

So, I once again didn't explain correctly.

It was a fountain, in a water feature. The fountain was just a 6 ft vertical spout, and that is what I was trying to lock onto. The 6ft water spout itself. I will try to upload the video and once again, can somebody help me on how to upload flight data? Thanks in advance.

I wonder if it has a hard time tracking/locking onto water the same way the sensors can get all haywire with the water reflection?
2018-5-21
Use props
Blizzard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 173734 ft

Belgium

Did you track the golf ball???
2018-5-21
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Hey Bulldog, are you on the latest version of the App, Sparks was also having some issues with Active track and it seems to have become stable after the last update
2018-5-21
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>

Circle an object or Feature    POI   Point of Interest

Active Track is for following an object moving thru GPS columns....or following the moving object as the back ground is stationary.....

Not sure how tracking something that does not move from point A would work.......

Randy
2018-5-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

rwynant V1 Posted at 2018-5-21 11:30

Active Track is for following an object moving thru GPS columns....or following the moving object as the back ground is stationary.....

It is possible to yaw around a fixed object while in active track, maybe that’s what he was trying to do.
2018-5-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Good day. Sorry for what happened. For us to see what really happened. Please upload the video once again for us to examine the video footage. So that we can give out a concrete solution for the issue. Thank you.
2018-5-22
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
United States

rwynant V1 Posted at 2018-5-21 11:30

lol, I suck.

Yup, you are right. I was trying to do a 360 around the 6 ft water spout. That's called active track right?

I am terrible at explaining my troubles..... Sorry.

2018-5-29
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-5-22 12:06
Good day. Sorry for what happened. For us to see what really happened. Please upload the video once again for us to examine the video footage. So that we can give out a concrete solution for the issue. Thank you.

I fully plan to. Been super busy with work in the last week. Hope to get everything up soon.
2018-5-29
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-21 08:59
can somebody help me on how to upload flight data?

If you got a Windows system, you got a decent chance via USB-cable between drone and PC, then using DJI's Assistant 2 to access flight data.

Thanks again! I will try to load most likely this coming weekend. Been swamped. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
2018-5-29
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Bulldog Posted at 2018-5-29 08:19
Thanks again! I will try to load most likely this coming weekend. Been swamped. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

For what it is worth, there is a new version of DJI's Assistant-2 out, v1.2.4.
2018-5-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules