Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Air VS Mavic Pro VS Mavic Pro Platinum
12Next >
7256 42 2018-5-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BrilhasMuito
Captain
Flight distance : 3745554 ft
Brazil

I know all of them are great but. What are the main differences between them? If you had to pick one which one would you pick? And why?
Single SelectVote, Total 71 people participate in voting
38.03% (27)
22.54% (16)
39.44% (28)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-5-21
Use props
METROID
lvl.4
Flight distance : 105741 ft
Russia

Air for portable size and nice camera )))
2018-5-21
Use props
Folkestone
Captain
Flight distance : 843199 ft
United Kingdom

I love my OG Magic Pro but I have nothing to compare it against.
2018-5-21
Use props
SparksBird
Captain
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Portability is the stronger suite of the MA.  The MP and MPP are still very portable though.  And battery life and distance is better on the MP and especially the MPP compared to the MA.  Camera's are very close giving the slight edge to the MA especially as far as less noise with the MA compared to the MP/MPP at higher sharpness.  
2018-5-21
Use props
FlyDK
Captain
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

I would pick the Air, as I already have the Pro.
2018-5-21
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
Flight distance : 84805085 ft
  • >>>

Mavic Pro because it's cheapest (best bang for the buck) - Amazon Direct sells it for $769 not to mention better color in the sky than MPP, and better overall performance than Air - MP has OcuSync.
2018-5-21
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

The pro is better for me, i prefer the stability and distance when needed at my finger tips
2018-5-21
Use props
3-D
Captain
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is a question that will probably be asked many, many times over.

The answer to this question also lies in where you are as a pilot.  Is this your first drone, or is this an addition to your hangar?  Have you been flying high end drones, or the sub $50 toys?  (I didn't know the difference, until i started doing my research)
I chose the Air because of it's size and the fact that i am brand new to flying, and didn't want to have to use tap to focus.  I felt like having the 4k video would be a plus, although the video that i've seen from the Mavic Pro is more than sufficient.  I also felt like the Pro was more drone that i needed.  I will eventually own a version of the pro, whether it be the Platinum or the much anticipated Pro2 (if it's released)

There are a plethora of sites that have done head to heads...
TechRadar
MyFirstDrone
Digital Trends

The choice comes down to personal preference.  
In some cases, the Pro is better.  Like range, and battery life
In some cases the Air is better, lighter and slightly more portable, a few more consumer (to be read ToyLike) features like gesture control are apparently improved.

A friend of mine described it like this:  

The Mavic Air is for the super-enthusiast, that wants to  play with the kids in the back yard, and possibly take a small gig every now and then.
The Mavic Pro is for the Professional that is serious about work, but also likes to go play at the beach.

2018-5-21
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
  • >>>

The Pro is just what its name implies, it basically does it all and what it lacks it makes up with solid connection, descent flight time, and low noise sound, while the Air is more of a jack of all trades master of none.
2018-5-21
Use props
dronybaloney
Captain
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

My main thing is the noise a drone produces. And the mpp beats all of them regarding the low noise. The ma i personally find very irritating swarm of bees sound. I really hope dji pays more attention to the development of a lower noise drone. This is my personal opinion though.
2018-5-21
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Mavic Air because it has all the latest technology. Once Mavic Pro 2 might be released, who knows how crazy I might be... (I fear crazy enough)
2018-5-21
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

there is no right or wrong answer here.. each has its own strengths and weaknesses...apart from plat model mavic , which is pretty much pointless.  just save money get a OG mavic pro and plat props..

so how i look at it is Mavic pro (with plat props) vs mavic air....

mavic air:   for its portability, lightness, and charming nature (according to my gf its cute and charming) and because it has a slightly (very slightly) more advanced obstacle avoidance system which can go around and above things but nothing too complicated like 2 trees side by side or a roof line.. but still slightly better than the normal OA and better is better.. and new (better?) image signal processing that outputs at 100mbps.. and is far easier to deploy quickly..

mavic pro:  because its a brute.  more stable in the wind and has much more torque and power it can drag a mavic air around in P-gps mode while Air is in sport mode full throttle trying to fight it, and not sure where that helps the most but it adds a layer of security i guess.  occusync is bar none the best way to go for wireless connectivity and mavic pro has it, and thats another layer of security.  the camera has a better (faster) lens as well.. f/2.2  (air only has f/2.8)

downsides of each:

mavic air:  air has weaker battery, can only afford you 21 mins of rated time which usually means 15 minutes of real world usage and that's fairly short..  also have the issue that using wifi compliant communications which while respectable in its own way.. still prone to reduced quality very easily.  the other issue is lack of maturity of the product, it has been out now about 6 months, and still seeing early adopter defects like misaligned lens and stuff making bad focusing..

mavic pro: it is bigger and heavier than the air,and not as intuitive to setup and pack up thanks to the gimbal clamp and cover...  speaking of the gimbal is is horribly exposed to getting knocked off in a nasty front end crash with a hedge or a tree, it is scary how exposed and weak it feels.    also while mavic pro was designed for portability, it feels like showing its age compared to spark and the air in ease and speed of deployment.  
2018-5-21
Use props
JEZ2
First Officer
Flight distance : 336204 ft
United States

Since the question asks "if I had to pick one", I would probably pick the MPP if I could just have one - although I'm torn on that.   The extra battery life and distance for the MPP, for the trade off in portability for the Air (and slightly better Air camera and sensors) is really close, but I would probably go with the MPP to get a good all around bird to suit most of my needs.

However, since I started with the P3A, I already have a good distance drone if I need it for some reason.  As such, I added the Air to it, because the portability is amazing and addresses the Phantom's biggest weakness.  There will definitely be times that I will have the Air, where I probably wouldn't have the Pro or MPP, and that is worth a ton because it just gets to the size where throwing in my bag or pack is easy enough to do.  

It really depends upon each person will use it -- if all your shooting/flying is from a car or home, then the MPP is best.  If you plan to travel, and particularly go places via foot or bicycle, I would definitely go Air.  

2018-5-21
Use props
QuadKid
Captain
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

MA for portability & more robust gimbal
2018-5-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Good day. Thank you for the information. It will depend on where and how will you be using Mavic.  As of this moment, the Mavic Air is in-demand because of its size. If you love to travel It is convenient to carry the Mavic Air around.   
2018-5-22
Use props
wolframmitbach
lvl.4
Flight distance : 157379 ft
Austria

MA size & weight
2018-5-23
Use props
Neliusspies
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2151526 ft
Nauru

Have the Mavic Pro and loving it from portability to airtime so would stick to this for now
2018-5-23
Use props
Lamplighter55
Captain
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

MPP because it fits my requirements for flight time, range and sound levels. Each will have their own 'best fit', based on a bunch of personal things - like finance, utility, etc. etc. Each drone has a slightly difference performance envelop and is priced as such. I also have a Spark that's great for doing low altitude aerial inspections - like checking how much leaf debris are left in my gutters from last autumn.
2018-5-23
Use props
dancopter
First Officer
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

One of each.
2018-5-23
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Captain
Brazil

Thank you all for the replies. Really interesting to see that many different angles of view around the same subject.
I'm a happy spark owner but I wanna add a new AC to my hangar.
I dont really care about 4k videos as I dont even have a computer good enough to process those. I care about reliability and flight time so I think as I already have a spark the most plausible AC to buy would be a MP or MPP (any of them). I think the MA is just a spark on steroids. Which  wouldnt give me much more in flight time.
Thank you guys,
Fly safe
2018-5-23
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Captain
Brazil

dronybaloney Posted at 2018-5-21 12:30
My main thing is the noise a drone produces. And the mpp beats all of them regarding the low noise. The ma i personally find very irritating swarm of bees sound. I really hope dji pays more attention to the development of a lower noise drone. This is my personal opinion though.

I love the swarm-of-angry-bees noise the Spark does. Of course a drone thats too loud is pretty annoying but the noise is a important thing that helps us to find the drone in the sky with ease.
2018-5-23
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Captain
Brazil

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-5-21 13:14
there is no right or wrong answer here.. each has its own strengths and weaknesses...apart from plat model mavic , which is pretty much pointless.  just save money get a OG mavic pro and plat props..

so how i look at it is Mavic pro (with plat props) vs mavic air....

The MA's battery time is what makes me think twice before buying one. I can fly 13 minutes with the spark therefore 2 more minutes of flight time wouldnt be that great upgrade. In Brazil MA and MP are virtually the same price. The MPP is much more expensive and I dont know if its much better than the MP to justify spend much more on it. If I could I'd buy all of them.

2018-5-23
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
  • >>>

BrilhasMuito Posted at 2018-5-23 08:19
The MA's battery time is what makes me think twice before buying one. I can fly 13 minutes with the spark therefore 2 more minutes of flight time wouldnt be that great upgrade. In Brazil MA and MP are virtually the same price. The MPP is much more expensive and I dont know if its much better than the MP to justify spend much more on it. If I could I'd buy all of them.

If you expect to fly backwards or slowly in tight areas, then MA with A.P.A.S. is a good option. If you need a lighter, more mobile drone, and you don't require a longer flight time with more range, then yes the MA might appear the best option.
2018-5-23
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Captain
Brazil

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-5-23 08:37
If you expect to fly backwards or slowly in tight areas, then MA with A.P.A.S. is a good option. If you need a lighter, more mobile drone, and you don't require a longer flight time with more range, then yes the MA might appear the best option.

The thing is that I already own a Spark which allows me to fly in tight areas. Although the spark OA is much simpler than the MA it is enough for me. If the MA was much cheaper than the MP I would consider it as an option. But as they cost almost the same the MP is a nobrainer as I already own a portable and light drone. The question is: Is the MPP much better than the MP to justify spending more on it?   
2018-5-23
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
  • >>>

BrilhasMuito Posted at 2018-5-23 09:55
The thing is that I already own a Spark which allows me to fly in tight areas. Although the spark OA is much simpler than the MA it is enough for me. If the MA was much cheaper than the MP I would consider it as an option. But as they cost almost the same the MP is a nobrainer as I already own a portable and light drone. The question is: Is the MPP much better than the MP to justify spending more on it?

Is Mavic Pro Platinum much better than the original Mavic Pro to justify spending more on it? No - when I spoke with DJI Support they said the low noise propellers can be used on both drones, therefore not much of a big difference as basically they're the same drone.

The recently released Phantom 4 Pro v2.0 by and large is the same drone as its predecessor, however here DJI added OcuSync to V2.0 because unlike Lightbridge, OcuSync eliminates the use of wires with DJI Goggles. Therefore the P4P v2.0 difference is noticeable unlike the Platinum.

The Platinum is best suited for someone who can afford the price premium and really prefers the slightly more efficient ESCs. Excluding the different colors, however, they are both practically the same.   
2018-5-23
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Captain
Brazil

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-5-23 12:46
Is Mavic Pro Platinum much better than the original Mavic Pro to justify spending more on it? No - when I spoke with DJI Support they said the low noise propellers can be used on both drones, therefore not much of a big difference as basically they're the same drone.

The recently released Phantom 4 Pro v2.0 by and large is the same drone as its predecessor, however here DJI added OcuSync to V2.0 because unlike Lightbridge, OcuSync eliminates the use of wires with DJI Goggles. Therefore the P4P v2.0 difference is noticeable unlike the Platinum.

Thanks a lot for clearing things up m8!
Mavic pro is the one I pick. hahahaha
Thanks again!
2018-5-23
Use props
MediaElite
lvl.4
Flight distance : 408343 ft
United States

Owned the Mavic Pro....hated the gimbal...feels too cheap with exposed wires.  

I really enjoy the Mavic Air quality.   With the Fly More Combo, you won't be bothered by the shorter flight time.  Its intelligent flight modes have more features than the pro!  I almost like it more than my Inspire because of portability and easy setup.
2018-5-24
Use props
dronybaloney
Captain
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

BrilhasMuito Posted at 2018-5-23 08:10
I love the swarm-of-angry-bees noise the Spark does. Of course a drone thats too loud is pretty annoying but the noise is a important thing that helps us to find the drone in the sky with ease.

Thats true , but i rather fly on my own , without people watching and looking up . I  like to avoid discussions and avoid of being told off by people who are not so familliar with drones.
2018-5-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mavic Air - hands down!
2018-5-24
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Captain
Brazil

dronybaloney Posted at 2018-5-24 22:37
Thats true , but i rather fly on my own , without people watching and looking up . I  like to avoid discussions and avoid of being told off by people who are not so familliar with drones.

Me too! The quieter the spot the better.
People love annoying us therefore I really avoid them.
2018-5-25
Use props
DMX_MT
Captain
Malta

BrilhasMuito Posted at 2018-5-25 06:44
Me too! The quieter the spot the better.
People love annoying us therefore I really avoid them.

Hi Brilhas go for the Mavic Pro Platinum.

It has Very Good Connectivity, 2 Compasses, Longer Battery Time.

2018-5-28
Use props
DMX_MT
Captain
Malta

Knowing you I am sure you would love the Mavic Pro Platinum, they also improved the Motors from the Mavic Pro !

I prefered it from Mavic Air as the Mavic Air has Wifi (Enhanced) to connect to the Remote. Mavic Pro Platinum use OccuSync.

There are so many Factors to check, both Drones are really Good, I prefered the Mavic Pro Platinum as its the Latest 'PRO VERSION'. I think they wrote 'PRO' + you paying the Extra Money for Something !

Also I have the Spark as a Small Drone, I wanted something a Bit more Professional and Bulkier. My main usage is Foots and Videos and many Photographers I know used the Mavics Pro or Phantoms 4 Pros.

But thats is just my Opinion. The important thing is to use it well and enjoy it Safely ! All DJI Drones are Really Incredible ! So I won't really compare, it mostly a Matter of Taste.

I love 4x4, others love Sports Cars. They are both nice, good cars and carry you from one place to another. But Taste is Different. I love more RUGGED and Tough Feeling in a Car. Same with the Drone, I have a Small Spark so wanted a bit of a change if I would spend money. The Mavic Air is more like a Spark in size to me.

2018-5-28
Use props
DMX_MT
Captain
Malta

Here is My 'Bad Boy', I got a really good deal for the Mavic Pro Platinum Fly More Combo, from my Friend in Austria, (where I bought the Spark) !

But for now it will stay a bit at home as I need to learn more on the Spark, and I have some ideas to do on the Mavic Pro Platinum. I got some Guys from the United States working some Custom Made Accessories for it. Have a lot of work in Progress....

2018-5-28
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Captain
Brazil

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-5-28 10:04
Here is My 'Bad Boy', I got a really good deal for the Mavic Pro Platinum Fly More Combo, from my Friend in Austria, (where I bought the Spark) !

But for now it will stay a bit at home as I need to learn more on the Spark, and I have some ideas to do on the Mavic Pro Platinum. I got some Guys from the United States working some Custom Made Accessories for it.  Have a lot of work in Progress....

C'mon man you own a MPP as well? Niiiiiiiiiiiice!!!!!
In Brazil it's more expensive than my car. hahahahahah. Kidding!!!
The cheapest MPP fly more you can find in Brazil is around 5.3k BRL. If you convert to dollar its almost the same as in DJI website. But for an American to make 1.3k USD is awaaaaaay easier than for a Brazilian to make 5.3k BRL.
I dont know if you are aware about Brazil's situation. All the truck drivers have stroke. They have been completely stopped for almost 10 days already. Asking for taxes reduction. Therefore every single gas station in the country is completely out of gas. Even the supermarkets are pretty close to run out of food.   
I'm coming to work by Spark. I tie myself on 10 Sparks and fly to my job then back home. Glad I'm a skinny guy!
Thanks DJI!
2018-5-29
Use props
DMX_MT
Captain
Malta

BrilhasMuito Posted at 2018-5-29 06:22
The cheapest MPP fly more you can find in Brazil is around 5.3k BRL. If you convert to dollar its almost the same as in DJI website. But for an American to make 1.3k USD is awaaaaaay easier than for a Brazilian to make 5.3k BRL.

Brilhas listen if the Price meets the US Price it is cheap !

I tell you why, here in Malta the package for MPP Fly More is Euro 1699.

1,699 Euro equals
7,308.09 Brazilian Real

I took it Euro 1250 for the Fly More Package and he arranged that Price as I bought the other Drone for him and I did almost 2 weeks Crying !

In Malta its the same Situation don't worry Brilhas, even though we are Europe from Outside many countries in Europe live a Hard Life, on TV they will show whatever they want, but not the real problems ! A Married Life is very hard today here, lots of Expenses to cope with this 'Fast Luxury and High Cost of Living'.

To Earn & Save $1000 you need about 3months here, as you need to deduct expenses, food, electricity bills, diesel + petrol, weekend expenses etc list goes on !

The only way to make money is to be Born Rich, or being in a Corner at Night, offering Boogie Boogie !

2018-5-29
Use props
DMX_MT
Captain
Malta

BrilhasMuito Posted at 2018-5-29 06:22

I can understand the Problem with the Truck Drivers.

They try to stop the Diesel and Petrol from the Stations as they know that like that the Gov will listen as everyone needs his car / van / trucks / buses to travel and make deliveries.

Hope they find a solution Brilhas !

When I was Young, we used to play making a Chariot - Box + Broken Trolley Wheels + Dogs Pulling Us and you can imagine if we go downhill, there are NO BRAKES, so to stop you need to Crash. Even though we didn't have money, we where Happy !!!

If I was in Brazil I would be glad to take you to Work with a Trolley, you Sit like a King and I pull the Trolley, like the ones they use in Asia !

2018-5-29
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Captain
Brazil

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-5-29 06:35
Brilhas listen if the Price meets the US Price it is cheap !

I tell you why, here in Malta the package for MPP Fly More is Euro 1699.

Thats the MPP's price now. 3 months before it was around 8k (BRL).
I agree about the prices. But if you consider the brazilian minimum wage which is around 240 USD or 200 EUR per month. For most of us buying any drone is a far way dream. Saving this kind of money after paying all the expenses is close to impossible.
There are 2 ways to make money in Brazil. Dealing drugs or Politics! hahahahahahaha

2018-5-29
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Captain
Brazil

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-5-29 06:47
I can understand the Problem with the Truck Drivers.

They try to stop the Diesel and Petrol from the Stations as they know that like that the Gov will listen as everyone needs his car / van / trucks / buses to travel and make deliveries.

In my opinion the hole is much larger.. The truck drivers were followed by the moto couriers and the school vans. All of them have stopped. Things are crazy!
But even if the gov decreases the gas price at the end the bill will come to us anyway. The gov will find a way to charge us. With that the truckers are attacking theirs own population but not the politicians who will keep earning their easy money.
Brazil has the most expensive congress in the world. One congressman earns at least 35 minimun wages plus a lot of bonuses which can make a congressman earn up to 53k USD (195k BRL) monthly .
So Im pretty sure the problem is not the price of the gas.
At least people are waking up. It's a beginning.   
2018-5-29
Use props
DMX_MT
Captain
Malta

BrilhasMuito Posted at 2018-5-29 08:29
In my opinion the hole is much larger.. The truck drivers were followed by the moto couriers and the school vans. All of them have stopped. Things are crazy!
But even if the gov decreases the gas price at the end the bill will come to us anyway. The gov will find a way to charge us. With that the truckers are attacking theirs own population but not the politicians who will keep earning their easy money.
Brazil has the most expensive congress in the world. One congressman earns at least 35 minimun wages plus a lot of bonuses which can make a congressman earn up to 53k USD (195k BRL) monthly .

You are right Brilhas !

As the saying says - Poor will get Poorer and Rich will get Richer.

2018-5-29
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Nicely done - thanks again for sharing.
2018-10-17
Use props
12Next >
Advanced