2412 24 2015-5-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Flymetothemoon
lvl.2
United States

Woah:

https://www.lily.camera

Looks like DJI has some serious competition in the practical functionality department.

I am happy these smaller companies are coming up with features like autonimous follow tracking, does anyone have any insight into why they are able to program their software like this while DJI keeps testing to perfect theirs?

The best feature of this lily camera drone is that it's waterproof and buoyant in waters! amazing but highly unprofitable for DJI : P
2015-5-12
Use props
Blademan
lvl.1

Russia

so far only projects

How will work actually still is unknown, but the idea I like, love to buy, as soon as the first customer reviews.
2015-5-12
Use props
Fred D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 56184 ft
Canada

I like it and want one, as soon as I know they work and do what they claim I'm ordering!!!!!!!!!!
2015-5-12
Use props
cmontisano
lvl.4

United States

I just place my order today, this will be great for actions shots when I go out with the wife and kids. looks like there not going to ship till Feb 2016 and the price is going up from $499.00 to $999.00 in  Feb 2016
I cant wait. now I have to tell the wife why we so broke...
2015-5-12
Use props
Gatorone30
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1145489 ft
United States

http://roswellflighttestcrew.typ ... acopter-at-nab.html

Check this out! This will be my next bird. The Yuneec H920. If she flies true this will be a game changer. 18X zoom camera!!!!!
2015-5-12
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

Let's also keep things in perspective.  None of the features advertised on these new drones actually exist yet.
2015-5-12
Use props
Flymetothemoon
lvl.2
United States

method007 Posted at 2015-5-13 06:36
Let's also keep things in perspective.  None of the features advertised on these new drones actually ...

I think this model does have the actual follow feature available:
https://store.3drobotics.com/products/iris?taxon_id=32

I haven't tried it myself, so I cannot speak for the real-life usability. In any case, I look forward to all the improvements that have yet to come.
2015-5-12
Use props
Flymetothemoon
lvl.2
United States

Gatorone30 Posted at 2015-5-13 06:06
http://roswellflighttestcrew.typepad.com/blog/2015/04/posting-video-yuneec-tornado-h920-hexacopter-a ...

That's a great feature to have, I am really surprised that almost none of these drone kits have zoomable lenses. I think a possible reason for this is to minimise the problems associated with privacy.
2015-5-12
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

I don't see this as competition to the Inspire in any way.   Totally different demographic.   Looks great for "happy-snaps" and sport-follow-me videos, but not a tool for getting controlled and elegant aerial footage.
2015-5-12
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

http://roswellflighttestcrew.typepad.com/blog/2015/04/posting-video-yuneec-tornado-h920-hexacopter-a ...

$8,000 and still using a small sensor fixed camera, not so sure this one has "legs!"

For $8k I want to put my RED EPIC or at least a DSLR on it.
2015-5-12
Use props
Flymetothemoon
lvl.2
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-5-13 07:30
I don't see this as competition to the Inspire in any way.   Totally different demographic.   Looks  ...

Yes, I agree that the pro-sumer crowd that DJI caters to is a completely separate community, good point.

I think I'm just bitter because I'd like to be in more of the video shots that I take. It's difficult finding/scheduling a co-pilot to fly with me when I want to follow myself driving a car, snowboarding etc.

I predict that the new software features will blend-in with the controls we are using now, adding to the controllability / elegance of planning a shot. This would make it possible for autonomous flight so I might be able to wholly control the camera instead.

I can understand the community's motivation for distancing themselves from reckless amateurs. The more FAA regulation announcements that show up, the more I would like to see a mandatory license training/safety program for a flying License to keep these laws at bay. Every flying object should require a license of some sort IMHO.
2015-5-12
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

Flymetothemoon Posted at 2015-5-13 09:42
Yes, I agree that the pro-sumer crowd that DJI caters to is a completely separate community, good  ...

Totally.  Though I wouodn't be surprised if we start seeing these features soon in the Inspire and P3.  The SDK specifically talks about follow me features and other stuff so might not be long.
2015-5-12
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

Looking at the website for Lily, it's all messed up.  They put in the FAQ that they are charging up front because they need the money to "pay as you go" with the manufacturing of the drone.  They are also selling pre-orders for half what the final product is supposed to cost.  There is no way all that technology could be sold for $500 a unit.  It requires no calibration ever?  The battery is built in.  It has the technology to follow, film 120fps 720p footage, auto engages when thrown in the air, has collision avoidance, is waterproof, and has collapsible props.  This is all for $500.  Something is not right.
2015-5-12
Use props
kinsonlai
lvl.2
Flight distance : 69662 ft
Hong Kong

I love to ski so I was looking at the autonomous drones that are coming to the market but I am still waiting for one with 'follow-me' and hopefully some form of 'collision avoidance'.  Was looking into https://www.airdog.com/ and http://hexoplus.com/ but not thrilled about the Airdog having a 2D gimbal and both of them not having any collision avoidance or offering any spare batteries (at least when you pre-order it).

Honestly 15-20 minutes of flight time isn't going to cut it for a full day of skiing, and it would suck if the bird flew into a chairlift or some trees (Its kind of hard to go heli-skiing where I live - and I don't think I'm good enough for that either).  Anyone got any suggestions?  XD  And God knows when DJI will finally release their follow-me features...
2015-5-12
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

kinsonlai Posted at 2015-5-13 10:33
I love to ski so I was looking at the autonomous drones that are coming to the market but I am still ...

My guess is they won't let an autonomous drone onto a public ski field.   I certainly wouldn't!
2015-5-12
Use props
kinsonlai
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Yet, this http://www.theguardian.com/technology/video/2015/may/12/testing-the-selfie-drone-in-central-park-video shows the snowboarder with the drone following him in one...  go figure.  I guess sooner or later they'll start banning them everywhere (especially once there's an accident).
2015-5-13
Use props
Gatorone30
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1145489 ft
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-5-13 07:31
$8,000 and still using a small sensor fixed camera, not so sure this one has "legs!"

For $8k I wa ...

They will have different gimbals down the line.
2015-5-13
Use props
averbouwens
lvl.4
Flight distance : 83642 ft
United States

kinsonlai Posted at 2015-5-13 16:02
Yet, this http://www.theguardian.com/technology/video/2015/may/12/testing-the-selfie-drone-in-centra ...

your link is dead   "404"
2015-5-13
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.3

Canada

jimhare Posted at 2015-5-13 14:25
My guess is they won't let an autonomous drone onto a public ski field.   I certainly wouldn't!

My thoughts exactly Jim...If it catches on and is cheap enough can you imagine 50 plus of these conservatively flying around over peoples heads on the slopes or at a marathon...I would not want to be there...I cant see the regulators allowing this at all.  There was one individual at my UAV training course last year who wanted to do exactly this as a business renting them out at the ski slopes...Havent heard how far he got...Hopefully not to far...
2015-5-13
Use props
cmontisano
lvl.4

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-5-13 07:30
I don't see this as competition to the Inspire in any way.   Totally different demographic.   Looks  ...

I agree Jim, as for the Lily if you read up on it wasn't developed to compete with the Inspire 1 but more a  point and shoot camera the Lily will be an awesome product if they can fix some of the issue like collision avoidance system witch is not available YET but DJI needs to get on board with this as a safety precaution as well, it will result in less chance of injury as well as damage.
2015-5-13
Use props
ronnydsosa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21624 ft
United States

It's a good follow me drone but other than that it's useless.. Max Distance is 100ft and the max heights is even worst.. To me DJI still the best. BTW no gimbal so it's like going back to the P1 or the P2V.. No thanks... I don't need any more shaky videos...
2015-5-13
Use props
FrostyThe2nd
lvl.2

United States

I preordered/pledged for the Plexidrone since February.  That has follow me and collision avoidance sensors.  Only problem is their original delivery date of June 2015 fell through and the first delivery is now set for September 2015.  I was notified this delay only 3 weeks ago :-(  I hope it doesn't get pushed back any further.
2015-5-13
Use props
kinsonlai
lvl.2
Hong Kong

averbouwens Posted at 2015-5-13 22:43
your link is dead   "404"

It's just the lili drone being tested in Central Park someone posted in the other thread, try this one.

http://www.theguardian.com/techn ... -central-park-video

And yes, IMO the Lili is pretty useless with a max range of 100ft.  Guess I'm sticking with my goggle cam for the time being then.
2015-5-13
Use props
capalvch
lvl.3
Flight distance : 71125 ft
Venezuela

method007 Posted at 2015-5-13 10:14
Looking at the website for Lily, it's all messed up.  They put in the FAQ that they are charging up  ...

It is a bet. Don't know if they will be acomplish what they say, but if somone would told me ten years ago that some guys were bulding a video/photo camera waterproof, as small as the gopro, with the quality of the gopro and as usefull as the gopro, And the price of the gopro, I wouldn't  belive it also. That is why I just put my order for a Lily today.
2015-5-13
Use props
captdkp
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4521345 ft
United States

Really . . . .?  Yuneec has touted this as "coming soon" since January 2014.  Still "coming soon".  Little to no response from Yneec on questions about its release, specs, camera resolution, etc.   Not a serious player.
2015-5-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules