[POLL] Apple, Android or CrytalSky for DJI GO 4? Why?
12Next >
3794 43 2018-5-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bob Brown
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

What mobile OS platform do you use/recommend for DJI GO 4? Why?
Single SelectVote, Total 98 people participate in voting View Poll participants

Voting has ended

38.78% (38)
50.00% (49)
11.22% (11)
0.00% (0)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-5-21
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

I use Apple iPhone 6 but if I had the $$ I would get the crystalSky for one simple reason.  The brightest/best display.  Needed for those bright sunny days where it is near impossible for me to see my iphone screen.
2018-5-21
Use props
Thudd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1624787 ft

Because Apple works
2018-5-21
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Found that the App works flawlessly with apple, to many issues with Android. I have a dedicated iphone 6s+ just for flying
2018-5-21
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

If you look the MP box it clearly says made for IPhone. So why use any thing else?
2018-5-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Currently iPhone SE.
Small screen, but that is what I have.
If money was less an issue, I would go for an iPad mini cellular.
Or even a crystalsky
2018-5-22
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

Once I voted and saw the results, my first reaction was WOW. I expected to see a longer line for Android, only because you see more post about android devices than apple. Then it dawned on me, the reason you don't see so many posts regarding apple devices is probably because they  don't have as many problems. But then again, there only has been 8 votes so will have to give the poll more time.
2018-5-22
Use props
Neliusspies
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2151526 ft
Nauru

Using Iphone currently however want to switch over to the Ipad Mini
2018-5-22
Use props
Jos A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Android, easiest way to downgrade, also easiest way to use 2 djigo4 apps on 1 device(4.1.15 for spark and 4.1.22 for mavic)
Also easiest way to use a modified version if you like.When using this most stable versions you don't have any problems.
2018-5-22
Use props
Far_North
lvl.4
Flight distance : 278379 ft
Canada

I use a 5.5" Crystalsky because I like to be able to see all information on the screen clearly in bright sun.  
2018-5-22
Use props
CycleParadise
lvl.4
Flight distance : 385338 ft
United States

Android because it's what I have. I've thought about getting a dedicated tablet or the CrystalSky - just don't know if I want to invest the money right now.
2018-5-22
Use props
METROID
lvl.3
Flight distance : 105741 ft
Russia

Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with 6.3 screen and 1200 nit brightness.
2018-5-22
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

I have the Apple iPad Mini4 with 128 GB, wi-fi only, dedicated only to the MP.
It was a perfect fit on the controller and bright enough to see in bright sunlight.
Never had any problems with the DJI GO 4 App. "knock on wood"
2018-5-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Good day. Thank you for sharing the information. The best device for the DJI Go 4 app is a device that is compatible with the drone model. As long as the device is compatible the DJI Go 4 application will work perfectly.
2018-5-22
Use props
Koelkop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22814806 ft
South Africa

No preference here. I am currently using my Samsung s6 because that is what I have and been using for the last 2 1/2 years. Runs without a hitch.

BUT I really want to get a pair of dji goggles because they really look nice to use
2018-5-22
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU!
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

iPad Pro 10.5 now. I’ve tried all 3 with numerous devices. This iPad is solid with no crashes & easy to see. I find it is also easier to figure out the screen quicker after flipping up the DJI Goggles simply because of the screen size & clarity.
2018-5-22
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
Cyprus

Apple for DJI drones
2018-5-22
Use props
Mountaindrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26618251 ft
  • >>>

I use CS for brightness.
2018-5-23
Use props
LoSBoL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

Android, I don't like Apple's software, premium price and vendor lock-in tactics.

We do have a IPad mini 4 cellular, because the wife likes it. I don't use it with the DJI app, to heavy and bulky to take with me and I don't like the weight balance when fitted on the controller. Android devices have yet to give me problems, so it definitely is my preferred device.
Crystalsky has never been considered, I'd rather spend the money on a good pc monitor.
2018-5-23
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

CS for the screen brightness on sunny days, Mini 4 at sunset/night but we are the forgotten ones when it comes to CS updates!
2018-5-23
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-5-22 10:48
Good day. Thank you for sharing the information. The best device for the DJI Go 4 app is a device that is compatible with the drone model. As long as the device is compatible the DJI Go 4 application will work perfectly.

Ohhh really! A sweeping statement there Stephen that doesn't quite reflect reality.  

Perhaps you might explain why my S5 S6 and S7 Samsungs all developed issues after the last updates! All three android phones lost histogram, exposure warning, home point settings and as they were unreliable retired and replaced with iPad mini 4's. A costly exercise that according to your statement I didn't need to do and could have saved myself well over one thousand euros.  

Now the iPad mini 4's have all worked perfectly I will grant you that.
2018-5-23
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

As for the Poll..... iPad mini 4 works perfectly, no issues so far.
2018-5-23
Use props
Danger Lampost
lvl.4

United States

This question could be faulty because the platform you use would not necessarily be the same as the platform you would recommend. If you're an Apple fanboy, by all means I recommend you use an iPhone or iPad because that's where you've invested your time and money. Likewise for Android.

Because I like choices, open platforms, and ecosystems, I personally use Android but I don't recommend that for everyone. iOS is a closed platform.

Also, my Samsung Note 8 pumps out 1200 nits in bright sunlight, as compared with an iPhone 8 which allows for a maximum brightness of just 530 nits. Because of that brightness, I'm not interested in the CrystalSky.
2018-5-23
Use props
Brad Bilger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14843274 ft

I am NOT an apple fan in any stretch of the imagination.  People holler that DJI Go4 is designed for Apple and works flawlessly.  However, I see an AWFUL lot of posts concerning Apple and their problems.  Including one that was until just recently locked at the top about Compatibility with IOS 11.0.  I am running Android.  On a Samsung Note 5.  And I've had exactly ZERO problems my my setup.  Yes, I've got a running thread on my app not syncing my High Res photos from my AC to my phone, but this is an irritation, not a disaster.  
2018-5-23
Use props
AEM74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 332677 ft
United States

I keep seeing people say the Android version is buggy and unstable, but I have been using DJI Go 4 since October of 2017 on a Galaxy S8+ with no issues with stability or major bugs (2 versions where offline maps and maps in general often were blank). No reason to spend more or carry more when it works for me. Obvious downside is you really need a screen hood since you cannot match the brightness of a CrystalSky.
2018-5-23
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>

iPhone 8+ and iPad Air. They just work. So far I haven’t had them disconnect from my aircraft.

Jeff
2018-5-23
Use props
Folkestone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 843199 ft
United Kingdom

iPhone 6s+ and I have never had an issue that wasn't caused by either a broken wire or junk in the charging slot on the bottom of the phone.

If I had the cash, I'd buy a crystal sky as it is built by DJI to run their app so it would probably be the most stable platform to run it on and the display looks big and bright which is another positive over the iPhone which is sometimes a bit dull.
2018-5-24
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

iOS (Apple) because t just works everytime for me unlike android with dji go 4.  and I already have existing devices to use.

However I wouldn’t mind testing a crystalsky out someday..  but I don’t need to.. not for the price they are asking for atleast.
2018-5-24
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

Woe Posted at 2018-5-21 19:28
If you look the MP box it clearly says made for IPhone. So why use any thing else?

the why is this:  I don't use an iPhone.  i've been Android from the beginning.  (not opposed to Apple devices, so let's not start that conversation...  

i don't have any spare devices apple devices around.  only spare androids.

All of the others in the house use apple devices, but when they upgrade or switch it is because they have broken/lost/flushed the old one.  can't use any of those.

So i use my old Note 4 Edge.  I drool over the crystalsky because of the brightness.  the ability to fly in the sun is a big deal.  I've got a sunshade but it's not really helpful.  i find myself always looking for shade so that i can see.
2018-5-25
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Danger Lampost Posted at 2018-5-23 11:06
This question could be faulty because the platform you use would not necessarily be the same as the platform you would recommend. If you're an Apple fanboy, by all means I recommend you use an iPhone or iPad because that's where you've invested your time and money. Likewise for Android.

Because I like choices, open platforms, and ecosystems, I personally use Android but I don't recommend that for everyone. iOS is a closed platform.

i was thinking about upgrading my phone, and then using my Google Pixel XL as my flight device.  but it only puts out 403 nits.  i need to find a good device that will allow me to fly in the summer, and not cost me $1000
2018-5-25
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

Danger Lampost Posted at 2018-5-23 11:06

How does the brightness of the Samsung Note 8 compare to the CrystalSky?  I know you do not have a CS to compare to but in your mind are they pretty evenly bright?  I ask because my next purchase will be a device that I will have absolutely no issue seeing in this super bright Nevada sun.  The price though on the CS is outrageous so trying to get an idea here if the Note 8 would be good enough?
2018-5-25
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-5-25 15:07
How does the brightness of the Samsung Note 8 compare to the CrystalSky?  I know you do not have a CS to compare to but in your mind are they pretty evenly bright?  I ask because my next purchase will be a device that I will have absolutely no issue seeing in this super bright Nevada sun.  The price though on the CS is outrageous so trying to get an idea here if the Note 8 would be good enough?

found this thread...  hope it helps you.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-116719-1-1.html
2018-5-25
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

3-D Posted at 2018-5-25 15:41

Thanks for the link.  
2018-5-25
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

looks like it's a year old, but hope it sheds some light on the subject.  
2018-5-25
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

I use iPad mini 4 with DJI GO 4 from last year - DJI make me Never to upgrade - too many problems after each upgrade - so I froze my setup in September 2017 and fly happily ever after
CS sound fun but is bulky and praise - mini is fitting in RC and is there to stay - did a mistake going to iOS 11 and have no chance to return to 10 - but life is life
2018-5-25
Use props
RUDIMAN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1145554 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Crystal sky.. the only monitor where you can see something in bright daylight.Not the most stable one but with the last firmware  i don't have much  problems anymore.
2018-5-26
Use props
Danger Lampost
lvl.4

United States

3-D Posted at 2018-5-25 15:41

This video is good too:
2018-5-26
Use props
tleonhar
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6073 ft
United States

Android here because I don't own or want an Apple phone or tablet.
2018-5-27
Use props
Prospero
lvl.2
Canada

Android, because I happened to have one available for dedicated drone use.  If I could afford it, I'd like to try the Epson Moverio BT-300FPV Smart Glasses
2018-5-27
Use props
Rob.01A
lvl.4
Flight distance : 128888 ft
Belgium

I use Android (Lenovo Tab 4 8 Plus) dedicated for DJI or Samsung Galaxy S8.  Iphone 8+ stays at home
2018-5-30
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules