USA - UAS Remote Pilot Certificate
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Oldav8tor
lvl.2
United States

In case anyone is wondering, it took just a little under 5 weeks from when I submitted the paperwork for my permanent (plastic) FAA Remote Pilot Certificate to arrive in the mail.  I can also confirm that the FAA assigns a unique seven digit number, not one that appears on any of the paperwork leading up to it.  It is also not the same number that I have on all my other pilot certificates (Commercial, Flight Instructor, etc.) There is a date of issue but no expiration - a reminder that the holder is responsible for obtaining recurrent training (in whatever form that takes) every 24 months to keep it valid.

Onward and upward!

2018-5-22
Use props
Hurley1718
Second Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>

Thanks for update.
2018-5-22
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Thank you very much for this information.
2018-5-22
Use props
Amateur Droner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6411 ft

United States

Congratulations on getting yours (still working/studying for my test) .
Six weeks...FAA  (government) is slow!
2018-5-22
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Yes, it's a bit confusing.  

Here's what a Part 107 FAA Remote Pilot Certficate looks like - found on the free internet:  

Here's what a hobbyist's FAA Small UAS Certificate of Registration looks like:

and then, here's what the Part 107 aircraft registration looks like:
sUAS-Certificate-of-Registration.jpg
2018-5-22
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

What some might find confusing is the words "Small UAS Certificate of Registration" and the number FAxxxxxxxx is used on both the hobbyist's pilot registration (the 2nd image above) and the Part 107 aircraft's registration (the 3rd image above), and also, both documents start with FA and continue with eight alpha-numeric characters.  And yet, they are different documents.  The first registers the pilot but not his aircraft.  The second registers the aircraft but not its pilot.  

Imagine you're a LEO, called upon to look into some possible errant drone flight, and you have to figure this stuff out on the spot...?  

I know.  Right?  

2018-5-22
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mine took about the same amount of time. Most of the time is in being vetted by the TSA and all exams and paperwork are examined one by one by an FAA Examiner.
2018-5-23
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-5-22 15:57
What some might find confusing is the words "Small UAS Certificate of Registration" and the number FAxxxxxxxx is used on both the hobbyist's pilot registration (the 2nd image above) and the Part 107 aircraft's registration (the 3rd image above), and also, both documents start with FA and continue with eight alpha-numeric characters.  And yet, they are different documents.  The first registers the pilot but not his aircraft.  The second registers the aircraft but not its pilot.  

Imagine you're a LEO, called upon to look into some possible errant drone flight, and you have to figure this stuff out on the spot...?  

I love the FAA mission statement button!
2018-5-23
Use props
Oldav8tor
lvl.2
United States

Oops! I guess I can't read a calendar --- it took a little under 5 weeks for the certificate to come back (corrected above).

On another FAA related subject, I wonder how many people realize that if DJI "refreshes" your drone and sends you a replacement unit that you will have to register the new unit with the FAA?  Registrations are specific to a given serial number so you would also have to mark the drone with a new registration number.  Another $5 to the FAA  :-)
2018-5-23
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Oldav8tor Posted at 2018-5-23 07:09
Oops! I guess I can't read a calendar --- it took a little under 5 weeks for the certificate to come back (corrected above).

On another FAA related subject, I wonder how many people realize that if DJI "refreshes" your drone and sends you a replacement unit that you will have to register the new unit with the FAA?  Registrations are specific to a given serial number so you would also have to mark the drone with a new registration number.  Another $5 to the FAA  :-)

I don't remember listing a serial number .  If I did I must have forgotten.
2018-5-23
Use props
Oldav8tor
lvl.2
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-5-23 07:22
I don't remember listing a serial number .  If I did I must have forgotten.

Look at the part 107 registration certificate in Mark the Droners post above.  It does list a serial number. The part 336 does not list one, but I don't know if you would have had to provide one when you registered.  My drone is registered under part 107 so that is the only case I can speak to.
2018-5-23
Use props
fans5b77e0bc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 387776 ft
United States

Oldav8tor Posted at 2018-5-23 07:09

There maybe a difference between non-commercial and commercial registration.  Just checked and do not see any place to enter or update a serial number on the FAA website. You do need to clearly mark your drone with the registration number.
2019-2-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules