RTH feature won't let me override it by pressing cancel...almost it
3494 14 2018-5-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Black Diesel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 66503 ft
United States

I was launching the Mavic Air from an anchored boat and the boat obiously boat rotates around the anchor.....when the battery got low the dang RTH feature was enabled and the drone started heading back to the home point where it was launched and was headed into the water.  Why doesn't the RTH feature get over-ridden when you press "cancel" on the remote???  I pressed it repeatedly while panicking and trying to get control of my drone again which kept flying up & away and toward the water.....not cool!

If I press cancel it let's me control the drone again for a few seconds and then immediately goes back into RTH mode again and flys away on me....I kept pressing "cancel" repeatedly while trying to get the damn drone down but it had a mind of it's own in RTH mode and kept wanting to fly away into the water.  Why doesn't pressing "cancel" actually work to cancel the RTH feature?  

Is there a way to set up the RTH feature so that when you press "cancel" it actually cancels it and doesn't activate itself again within a few seconds?

People launching from a boat beware....

2018-5-23
Use props
JERRY K
lvl.3
Flight distance : 308327 ft
United States

When it fails hit your pause button-- It can be your best friend in a panic
2018-5-23
Use props
Black Diesel
lvl.2
United States

What does the pause button do?  
2018-5-23
Use props
cspain
Second Officer
Flight distance : 662644 ft
United States

Try pressing the RTH button on the controller - somtimes I seem to need to long press or hit it again.  The pause button causes the aircraft to stop what ever it was doing and just hover.

Now go RTFM

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... 20Manual%20v1.2.pdf

2018-5-23
Use props
JERRY K
lvl.3
Flight distance : 308327 ft

Black Diesel Posted at 2018-5-23 15:26
What does the pause button do?

Basically freezes  the drone it will stop and hover where it is at when pause button clicked.  Once it stops and is stabile take over on controls. I prefer using go 4 app to activate Rth. It is much more responsive to rth  than the controller.
2018-5-23
Use props
Kevjones1959
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61932 ft

South Africa

It could be that you ran the battery right up to the "land immediately" power reserve.
2018-5-23
Use props
Black Diesel
lvl.2
United States

Kevjones1959 Posted at 2018-5-23 21:15
It could be that you ran the battery right up to the "land immediately" power reserve.

This is possible I guess, at what battery percentage does this occur?

This same thing happened to another guy with a Mavic Air as well...I guess it's something you have to experience when launching from a boat that's moving.   By pressing "cancel" on the RTH pop up notification (on iPhone) it SHOULD cancel the drone's attempt to RTH and let you maintain control the drone, but this does not happen.....when you press cancel it lets you have control for a few seconds which means you are trying to descend to the boat...but a few seconds later it the RTH activates again and it starts ascending again even when joysticks are down.  You have no control of it and it continues to waste battery juice.  You end up fighting this cycle repeatedly and you will be very luck to get your drone back when this occurs.  Be very careful when flying from a boat!

I guess maybe the only option is to turn off the RTH mode and set it to "hover", but then again the drone might act the same way keep ascending when you are trying to descend to the boat?

2018-5-24
Use props
ghostrdr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

You never mention what battery percentage you had left but smart pilots never get below 20% before landed. Anything below that you risk losing your drone.
2018-5-24
Use props
Black Diesel
lvl.2
United States

ghostrdr Posted at 2018-5-24 11:13
You never mention what battery percentage you had left but smart pilots never get below 20% before landed. Anything below that you risk losing your drone.

I believe the battery level was around 15%....if you come home at 20% that doesn't allow much flight time for the Mavic Air....
2018-5-24
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

You should take the time to read the manual and make yourself aquainted with all DJI GO4 settings. Once battery gets to critical level, auto landing will be initiated, no matter where your aircraft is. You will still be able to steer it to a safe landing spot within short time, but you will only manage to do so when you have taken the time to learn what your aircraft will do in which situation. And before you reach critical battery level, you have had sufficient warnings by your GO 4 software.
P.S. I find it quite breathtaking to read here quite frequently, that new pilots fly over water without sufficient training. No offense intended! After nine months training now with first the Spark and then Mavic Air, with some flight hours done, I just start to consider flying over water if the location would promise good footage and justify doing so.
2018-5-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

“People launching from a boat beware....”

What did you think would happen when you reached critical battery, I would have taught going out in a boat launching your $1000 drone you would first have a modicum of a plan.

Giving out information to others to beware when you totally ignored your own advice is not very plausible.
When using your drone while on a boat the least you need is a plan.

It’s a tough lesson but one that could easily been avoided.
2018-5-24
Use props
Black Diesel
lvl.2
United States

I have been flying over land for years since the phantom 2....I've also flown the phantom 2 over water in the same situation with no issues.  The new RTH feature that cannot be overridden is the problem.  When you press cancel it should cancel it and let you fly the drone, critical battery level or not.
2018-5-24
Use props
fanscc244f12
New
Flight distance : 20331 ft
United Kingdom

Happened to me this Sunday as well and I have not been on a broad just coastline ..
It was coming back home on RTH and as I always do, once it's close enough I get it back to manual landing. But this time it didn't want to let me land and override it back to RTH, backed off and flew away, landing away from us on the unaccessible cliffs!
I'm in the process of having a climber friend to try and recover it..

But still not sure what went wrong so probably will hae to wait and see if recovered and if DJI can honestly say what happened

Fingers crossed for you too. Did you manage to get a claim on warranty? Was it a glitch?
2019-6-18
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

fanscc244f12 Posted at 6-18 02:19
Happened to me this Sunday as well and I have not been on a broad just coastline ..  
It was coming back home on RTH and as I always do, once it's close enough I get it back to manual landing. But this time it didn't want to let me land and override it back to RTH, backed off and flew away, landing away from us on the unaccessible cliffs!

Hi,

if you like, post your flightlog one here.

using > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Flightlog has all the answers for what happenend.

cheers
JJB
2019-6-18
Use props
Dakar Enduro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1451841 ft
Senegal

fanscc244f12 Posted at 6-18 02:19
Happened to me this Sunday as well and I have not been on a broad just coastline ..  
It was coming back home on RTH and as I always do, once it's close enough I get it back to manual landing. But this time it didn't want to let me land and override it back to RTH, backed off and flew away, landing away from us on the unaccessible cliffs!

Your RTH went to a different location?  Did you verify a good Home spot with GPS on the Go4 screen after take off??  
2019-6-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules