No "Auto ISO" to use with ND filters?
1593 15 2018-5-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Black Diesel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 66503 ft
United States

I was flying over the water/islands in indonesia hoping to set my camera to 24fps and shutter speed to 50 in manaul mode to use with ND filters.   I thought I would be able to select an "Auto ISO" option which would make the camera change the ISO for the correct exposure but I did not see that option anywhere?
After doing some research, it sounds like there is no option to set the camera to 24fps, SS 50, and maintain proper exposure when filming away/into the sunlight?  My exposure was all over the place, depending on which direction the camera was pointed.  I'm hoping DJI will come out with an Auto ISO feature to resolve this issue.  Let me know if there's something I'm missing?

2018-5-23
Use props
rent
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1773458 ft
  • >>>
United States

This may not work out as you’d expect for two reasons:

1) I’m not aware of any camera being able to make stepless ISO adjustments. I’m sure the cameras on our drones are the same. 1/3 of a stop is the smallest increment or decrement that can be applied.  This means you will see a noticeable shift in brightness when it changes ISO automatically, if there is such a feature. This will be very noticeable and undesirable in a video.

2) As you increase ISO above 400, noise becomes significant. This will also be a very noticeable change in the resulting video.
2018-5-23
Use props
Kevjones1959
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61932 ft

South Africa

What you are actually asking for is a P mode switch.
2018-5-23
Use props
Black Diesel
lvl.2
United States

rent Posted at 2018-5-23 17:43
This may not work out as you’d expect for two reasons:

1) I’m not aware of any camera being able to make stepless ISO adjustments. I’m sure the cameras on our drones are the same. 1/3 of a stop is the smallest increment or decrement that can be applied.  This means you will see a noticeable shift in brightness when it changes ISO automatically, if there is such a feature. This will be very noticeable and undesirable in a video.

Got it, I'm used to DSLR's being able to do this but not in video mode I guess.  So the only way is to set it to 24fps and use an ND that will get you close to SS 50 and leave it in Auto mode....or, put it in Manual mode and deal with improper exposures while changing directions toward/away from the sunlight.
2018-5-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Black Diesel Posted at 2018-5-24 09:57
Got it, I'm used to DSLR's being able to do this but not in video mode I guess.  So the only way is to set it to 24fps and use an ND that will get you close to SS 50 and leave it in Auto mode....or, put it in Manual mode and deal with improper exposures while changing directions toward/away from the sunlight.

Putting it in auto will adjust both the SS and ISO and will make the image look terrible as you yaw into different lighting conditions as it will constantly change the exposure. Using manual will prevent this but on the flip side you may experience more extreme under and over exposure unless you stop record, manually adjust then resume recording.
2018-5-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Kevjones1959 Posted at 2018-5-23 21:17
What you are actually asking for is a P mode switch.

What does GPS positioning mode have to do with exposure settings?
2018-5-24
Use props
ggeorgis
lvl.4
Greece

A CW Posted at 2018-5-24 13:56

Is's camera not drone lingo.
Program mode P is one of the four modes cameras support usually called PASM

https://www.itsjustlight.com/pho ... era-exposure-modes/

2018-5-24
Use props
Black Diesel
lvl.2
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-5-24 13:55
Putting it in auto will adjust both the SS and ISO and will make the image look terrible as you yaw into different lighting conditions as it will constantly change the exposure. Using manual will prevent this but on the flip side you may experience more extreme under and over exposure unless you stop record, manually adjust then resume recording.

Okay, that's what I will do then is stop, reset exposure after it's pointed in another direction, and then start again once exposed properly.
2018-5-24
Use props
Kevjones1959
lvl.4

South Africa

A CW Posted at 2018-5-24 13:56

P mode is a DSLR camera mode. It has nothing to do with GPS. It's a type of auto mode that maintains one aspect of either shutter speed or aperture in relation to the other for any given condition.
2018-5-24
Use props
Kevjones1959
lvl.4

South Africa

ggeorgis Posted at 2018-5-24 14:39
Program mode P is one of the four modes cameras support usually called PASM

Thank you sir.
2018-5-24
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

You may find you get better videos by leaving off the ND filter and setting the shutter speed to what is necessary for exposure ISO as low as you can and  30FPS.
Unless you are very close to something like rotating car spokes or passing picket fences, you are making hard work for yourself for no visible gain.

Why not compare the same scene for your self, with and without ND filter.

Have you wondered why the modern TV has frame rates of 60 or 120? The modern trend is for pin sharp, blur free video, unless you are creating some special effect like misty water.

Think about what you are really trying to achieve with the ND filters and make a comparison.
2018-5-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ggeorgis Posted at 2018-5-24 14:39
Program mode P is one of the four modes cameras support usually called PASM

Then it's best to explain the detail as this is a drone forum and P-mode is known as positioning mode on here to 99% of users and has nothing to do with camera settings in regard to the thread which is specifically about the DJI Mavic and not a DSLR.
2018-5-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Black Diesel Posted at 2018-5-24 19:32
Okay, that's what I will do then is stop, reset exposure after it's pointed in another direction, and then start again once exposed properly.

That will give you the best quality footage for sure. It is not a DSLR so I have no idea why members are trying to confuse the issue in answer to your question.
2018-5-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Kevjones1959 Posted at 2018-5-24 20:44
P mode is a DSLR camera mode. It has nothing to do with GPS. It's a type of auto mode that maintains one aspect of either shutter speed or aperture in relation to the other for any given condition.

This is about camera settings on a Mavic drone - not a DSLR so why advise a setting that does not exist for the OP to consider - kind of pointless and off topic yeah.
2018-5-24
Use props
Kevjones1959
lvl.4

South Africa

A CW I don't know why you feel the need to be confrontational here on a public form. If my comment bothers you so much then why not skip it and leave it alone. In your endeavour to  try and prove I am not offering good advice you really exposing yourself for what you are. If I annoy you then move on. So far I have found much of your advice to have little or no grounds of any fact but merely a hypothesis, your own I might add, based on posts from people who's input I value much more than yours. You continue to appoint yourself as the police on this forum with neither the understanding of the english language or the willingness to actually read the post.

In your haste to pint out what is your mind is a misplaced post you have done nothing but expose yourself as an intolerant angry person with issues. Please feel free to take them somewhere else and you in no way need to feel the need to respond to any of my posts. I have no desire to communicate with you in any way sir. There is always one on a public forum. Congratulations you are the one.
2018-5-25
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Kevjones1959 Posted at 2018-5-25 00:05
A CW I don't know why you feel the need to be confrontational here on a public form. If my comment bothers you so much then why not skip it and leave it alone. In your endeavour to  try and prove I am not offering good advice you really exposing yourself for what you are. If I annoy you then move on. So far I have found much of your advice to have little or no grounds of any fact but merely a hypothesis, your own I might add, based on posts from people who's input I value much more than yours. You continue to appoint yourself as the police on this forum with neither the understanding of the english language or the willingness to actually read the post.

In your haste to pint out what is your mind is a misplaced post you have done nothing but expose yourself as an intolerant angry person with issues. Please feel free to take them somewhere else and you in no way need to feel the need to respond to any of my posts. I have no desire to communicate with you in any way sir. There is always one on a public forum. Congratulations you are the one.

I think you are being a little sensitive and somewhat personal... My point is to help the OP - advising him about a DSLR function is pointless on a drone with a 1/2.3" sensor - don't you think? I am far from an angry or intolerant person but I do have every right to express my opinion and if that conflicts with yours then deal with it but please, don't make personal comments like this again as you clearly have no idea who I am. Thanks!
2018-5-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules