Firmware update BRICKED my Controller - NO SOLUTIONS ANYWHERE!?
4971 23 2018-5-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansa0664467
lvl.1
Flight distance : 13894 ft
United States

I am trying very hard to remain civil, but after two months of not being able to use my P3P I'm kinda upset.

I am a FAA 107 licenced remote pilot with 350+ flights on my P3P with a GL300B RC . I've always kept my firmware updated to the lastest version. The last update, P3X_FW_V01.11.0020.bin, completed successfully on the P3P, but DID NOT complete successfully on the controller via the GO app. I've been able to re-link the controller with the P3P, in that I can control the gimbal, start recording & start the motors. But GO refuses to see the P3P.

So my next thought was to downgrade the RC firmware. When I hold down the GO hamburger menu for that, it says my current firmware version is "N/A", and no previous version is shown to roll-back-to. And being that it's a GL300B, the firmware can only be updated via the GO app (which it clearly won't) -- I can't use the USB port like on the GL300A (DJI -- did somebody there actually said "I know -- let's take away the ONE FEATURE that would allow users recover from a failed firmware upgrade on their RC so they have no where to turn". Brilliant, but not a way to get users to upgrade to a P4.

Anyway, here's what else I've tried many multiple times:

-- Tried at least a half-dozen high-quality USB cables.

-- Tried with the latest GO on the following devices:

- Samsung 6 edge
        - Samsung Galaxy-Tab-E-8.0
        - Samsung SMT320 (used for the 350+ flights)
        -iPad2
-- Tried all of the C1+C2+Shutter+scrollwheel combinations on the RC that are supposed to re-set to factory defaults and force an emergency firmware update.

The only thing I have left is to try progressively older versions if GO to see if any will recognized the corrupted or missing RC firmware and do an update, but that sounds like a long shot in the dark that I'll undertake if nothing else.

I also spent a couple hours on the DJI tech support chat -- no help at all.

I've also spoken to the support staff at two San Francisco repair facilities (one is DJI's authorized service center). Both told me that this is a "known problem", and the only solution is to send my controller into DJI, or just buy another used RC!!! That clearly implies that DJI's firmware update DAMAGED my RC, and I see dozens if not hundreds of other P3A and P3P users who are in the same situation -- after weeks of online sleuthing I have yet to see anyone find a solution.

So I challenge DJI, and any users who think they know the solution, to post it here. I will follow your instructions to the letter and promptly let you know the results.

What I won't do is pay to have DJI "fix" the problem they introduced. If that is truely the only solution, adios DJI.

2018-5-23
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I don't have a solution.  But your story reminds me of the RE700 update which happened a couple years ago re the P2V series.  The updates bricked the hardware and made them unusable and unfixable.  The update was eventually fixed, but the bricked hardware of the customers who endured the bad update was not.  DJI never did resolve that with their customers.  P2V series users had to buy new or used RE700s to fly again with FPV.  To this day, I don't understand why DJI allowed this to happen and why they never did anything to resolve the problem for their customers who were clearly victimized (it didn't happen to me personally, I use Litchi).  

Good luck
2018-5-23
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

So sorry for the troubles. I understand your frustration and insist on sending the unit for diagnosis. The local team will take care once the unit arrived and we'll offer a proper solution according to the damage assessment. Thanks for your understanding.
2018-5-23
Use props
fansa0664467
lvl.1
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-5-23 18:05
I don't have a solution.  But your story reminds me of the RE700 update which happened a couple years ago re the P2V series.  The updates bricked the hardware and made them unusable and unfixable.  The update was eventually fixed, but the bricked hardware of the customers who endured the bad update was not.  DJI never did resolve that with their customers.  P2V series users had to buy new or used RE700s to fly again with FPV.  To this day, I don't understand why DJI allowed this to happen and why they never did anything to resolve the problem for their customers who were clearly victimized (it didn't happen to me personally, I use Litchi).  

Good luck

Thanks Mark, I guess misery loves company, 'cause what happened next is too sad to not be funny.

So "DJ Susan" insists that I send it in ("hi DJI Susan!"). So, I go the the Repair Service Center webpage justy to sus-out the process:  https://www.dji.com/service/repair
and click Online Repair Request: https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area

BOOM - 404 page-not found in Chinese: https://repair.dji.com/systemerror

I assume the engineer who wrote the deadly firmware update got demoted to Webmaster!?

Again, NO SOLUTIONS ANYWHERE.

2018-5-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

fansa0664467 Posted at 2018-5-23 19:46
Thanks Mark, I guess misery loves company, 'cause what happened next is too sad to not be funny.

So "DJ Susan" insists that I send it in ("hi DJI Susan!"). So, I go the the Repair Service Center webpage justy to sus-out the process:  https://www.dji.com/service/repair

Have you tried different Browser? It is recommended to clear the cache of the browser to see if it works, if not, please contact our support team to start a ticket manually, sorry for the inconvenience.
2018-5-23
Use props
fansa0664467
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-5-23 23:26
Have you tried different Browser? It is recommended to clear the cache of the browser to see if it works, if not, please contact our support team to start a ticket manually, sorry for the inconvenience.

Hey DJI Mindy, IT IS NOT A BROWSER OR CACHE PROBLEM -- did you even check the link on your own company's website?!?!   Of course not -- this is the same type of experience/advice I got from DJI Chat Support on the Firmware issue. Totally ignoring the facts I presented and casting off in different directions that are clearly not related to the problem.

At least pretend you are trying to help and point ANY browser you want to https://www.dji.com/service/repair
Then click on the "ONLINE REPAIR REQUEST" icon, which points here: https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
That URL redirects to the Chinese 404 page. I just checked it again 12 hours after I reported it and it is still broken. If you can't even do a simple 404 page not found diagnosis, it does not help instill confidence.

Again, NO SOLUTIONS ANYWERE.

Do you want to try a round-3?
2018-5-24
Use props
devinb1234
lvl.1
Belize

I know how you feel.. im in the same situation right now. The latest software bricked 2 not one but 2 of my rc controllers
2018-5-24
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

fansa0664467 Posted at 2018-5-24 08:24
Hey DJI Mindy, IT IS NOT A BROWSER OR CACHE PROBLEM -- did you even check the link on your own company's website?!?!   Of course not -- this is the same type of experience/advice I got from DJI Chat Support on the Firmware issue. Totally ignoring the facts I presented and casting off in different directions that are clearly not related to the problem.

At least pretend you are trying to help and point ANY browser you want to https://www.dji.com/service/repair

Sorry for the unpleasant experience. I've checked the online system at our end, it works well. You can find the screenshot as below.
Not sure the issue you encountered is individual or not, and I sincerely suggest to contact our support and start a case first to send the unit in.
Also, I'll forward this issue to the right team for further testing. Appreciate your time and understanding.
Online Repair Request.png
2018-5-24
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

devinb1234 Posted at 2018-5-24 16:43
I know how you feel.. im in the same situation right now. The latest software bricked 2 not one but 2 of my rc controllers

Sorry for the troubles. Please kindly start a case and send the unit in for diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support
We will offer you a proper solution according to the damage assessment result.
2018-5-24
Use props
fansa0664467
lvl.1
United States

RE: Firmware update BRICKED my Controller - DJI Repaired(?)

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-5-24 23:40
Sorry for the troubles. Please kindly start a case and send the unit in for diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support
We will offer you a proper solution according to the damage assessment result.

After all my ranting, and although I am still bummed about the lack of drone for a month...
I can't just let my previous posts go without an amendment.

When the DJI web folks fixed that link, I finally took DJI Mindy and DJI Susan's advice and shipped the bricked controller into DJI for repair. I was provided with a UPS sticker (no cost for me to ship it), and within a few days I received an email that it had been received, and I'd be notified of the prognosis soon.

In a couple more days, I received another email that the repair is complete, and the service was performed "under warranty" -- no charge, even though the RC is 3 years old!!  Whoo-hoo!
Today I received UPS tracking info and a Mondayarrival date.

My excitement about finally flying again, and the very painless and DJI's quick and painless return/repair process has certainly helped reduce my frustration level, although I am still very worried about re-bricking the "repaired" RC (so far no explanation of why the firmware update failed -- maybe that will come with the returned unit? If not, no more firmware updates for me -- Litchi-only).

In any case, I do apologize for being so harsh -- I'd was so dreading a long expensive repair experience, and DJI has apparently proved me wrong, and I should have tempered my statements a bit.

That said, we'll see what I get back on Monday, and I'll post the news here, good or bad.
2018-6-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fansa0664467 Posted at 2018-6-7 17:57
After all my ranting, and although I am still bummed about the lack of drone for a month...
I can't just let my previous posts go without an amendment.

Glad to know everything is turning out to be great, we can totally understand your frustration when the issue happened, don't apologize. Hope you will get the RC back soon, if there is any further issue, please don't hesitate to let us know.
2018-6-7
Use props
fansa0664467
lvl.1
United States

My final post on this topic -- I received the package from DJI on Saturday, earlier than expected. However, it did not contain my repaired GL300B controller. Instead was a brand new GL300C controller!
DJI, there was no mention of replacement anywhere, only repair. My GL300B had a black carbon-fiber wrapper on it and an aluminum Inspire-type bracket. In retrospect I should have removed the bracket, but peeling off the wrap would have ruined it. So, I guess I loose those two items in the process.

But, the GL300C connected to my P3P just fine, and after checking all the GO and Litchi settings, I did a 10 minute backyard flight and all appears to be working great, so I won't sweat the bracket and wrap. I'm flying again, so I guess all is well.

Lessons learned:
NEVER UPDATE FIRMWARE!
FLY WITH LITCHI ONLY
REMOVE ALL ACCESSORIES BEFORE SENDING ANYTHING TO DJI FOR "REPAIR"
KEEP YOUR COOL ON THE FORUMS

Onwards & Upwards!!

2018-6-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fansa0664467 Posted at 2018-6-11 11:23
My final post on this topic -- I received the package from DJI on Saturday, earlier than expected. However, it did not contain my repaired GL300B controller. Instead was a brand new GL300C controller!
DJI, there was no mention of replacement anywhere, only repair. My GL300B had a black carbon-fiber wrapper on it and an aluminum Inspire-type bracket. In retrospect I should have removed the bracket, but peeling off the wrap would have ruined it. So, I guess I loose those two items in the process.

Products and components presented for repair may be replaced, sorry for your loss of the wrapper and bracket. We will also keep improving our products and customer service, please keep us updated if there is any other issue.
2018-6-11
Use props
jubileul
New
United States

I am having the same problem with my gl300b, what is the procedure to send for repair?
2019-3-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

jubileul Posted at 3-17 12:10
I am having the same problem with my gl300b, what is the procedure to send for repair?

Hi jubileul, sorry to hear that, if the RC cannot connect to the DJI Go after testing with different mobile devices, please start a ticket online and send in for further evaluation.
2019-3-17
Use props
djiuser_1KfeQxryymqI
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24911 ft
United States

Any way to fix a bricked Mavic Pro RC,  that DJI bricked with their firmware? They bricked it ,now the out of warranty consumer has to pay to get it fixed. This is very bad business practice on the part of DJI. How do they break your product  and you have to pay,  this is the most unethical business I ve ever dealt with.  I guess the figure if they brick your old product you ll buy a new DJI product. I will talk to a lawyer about starting a class action lawsuit against their unlawful business practice of “ we brick it, you pay to fix it”  
2019-8-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

djiuser_1KfeQxryymqI Posted at 8-4 17:45
Any way to fix a bricked Mavic Pro RC,  that DJI bricked with their firmware? They bricked it ,now the out of warranty consumer has to pay to get it fixed. This is very bad business practice on the part of DJI. How do they break your product  and you have to pay,  this is the most unethical business I ve ever dealt with.  I guess the figure if they brick your old product you ll buy a new DJI product. I will talk to a lawyer about starting a class action lawsuit against their unlawful business practice of “ we brick it, you pay to fix it”

Hello there, we apologize for the troubles caused after the firmware upgrade, I managed to get the case number via your Forum account, the package still hasn't arrived in the facility, it is recommended to wait for the diagnosis and then see if the warranty service can be provided, we will inform the team to take care of it, thank you for your patience.
2019-8-4
Use props
djiuser_1KfeQxryymqI
lvl.1
United States

Dji Mindy did you ask your team to take care of it? I received a invoice for $245.The controler main board $180 and a $65 repair fee. This is for a contoller with less tha 2 hours(1hr 34min) on it and worked perfectly fine until DJI forced me to update it. Please do the right thing as this is a know DJI issue after a update, this was no fault of the consumer. Their are a ton of threads on this issue as I know you are well aware of, any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated, thank you
2019-8-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

djiuser_1KfeQxryymqI Posted at 8-9 18:14
Dji Mindy did you ask your team to take care of it? I received a invoice for $245.The controler main board $180 and a $65 repair fee. This is for a contoller with less tha 2 hours(1hr 34min) on it and worked perfectly fine until DJI forced me to update it. Please do the right thing as this is a know DJI issue after a update, this was no fault of the consumer. Their are a ton of threads on this issue as I know you are well aware of, any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated, thank you

I did inform the team to take care of it, your case will be escalated to the higher-level team to double-check, we will have someone to contact you after verification, appreciate your patience.
2019-8-9
Use props
djiuser_1KfeQxryymqI
lvl.1
United States

I have to say thank you to DJI after escalating my case they did cover it under warranty, it took a while but thanks to Sherrie at DJI she keep things moving it the right direction. Thanks again Sherrie!!!!!!!
2019-8-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

djiuser_1KfeQxryymqI Posted at 8-29 11:17
I have to say thank you to DJI after escalating my case they did cover it under warranty, it took a while but thanks to Sherrie at DJI she keep things moving it the right direction. Thanks again Sherrie!!!!!!!

Glad to hear the RC was warrantied, we will transfer your appreciation to Sherrie, hope you will get it back soon.
2019-8-29
Use props
PaulinBft
New

United States

So.  I find myself in the same situation as the previous folks.  I updated the firmware on my P3P controller and it is bricked.  Flying before, not flying afterward.  I've tried everything I could find to no benefit.  After all the reading I've done of posts from people with the same problem I now have no doubt this is a DJI created failure.  I'm stuck in never-never land..... can't go forward, can't go back unless I send the controller in to DJI.  

I can't tell you how peeved I am with having a P3P I can't fly, with the countless frustrating hours wasted working on a solution, and with the prospect of being charged by DJI to fix a failure of their creation.  

So.  What am I to do?  
2020-3-6
Use props
djiuser_jixzKKbkKwu6
New

Costa Rica

This just happened to my RC2 controller for the mini 4 PRO , updated yesterday, the firmware update bricked  nuked the charging capability for the RC2 , battery ran out and I am stranded . I am returning it to the store!!!! I even bought a care plan just to find out it only covers the drone. Since I can't just return the RC , the entire drone is going back ,,, this sucks !!!! Wish I could get re-imbursed for the care plan as well , or at least transfer it to my next drone
2023-12-22
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

djiuser_jixzKKbkKwu6 Posted at 12-22 11:15
This just happened to my RC2 controller for the mini 4 PRO , updated yesterday, the firmware update bricked  nuked the charging capability for the RC2 , battery ran out and I am stranded . I am returning it to the store!!!! I even bought a care plan just to find out it only covers the drone. Since I can't just return the RC , the entire drone is going back ,,, this sucks !!!! Wish I could get re-imbursed for the care plan as well , or at least transfer it to my next drone

Hello, there. Sorry for the inconvenience. After you get the replacement drone and remote controller, please contact our support for the transfer of the DJI Care Refresh:
https://www.dji.com/support/repair?from=store_homepage
2023-12-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules