Phantom 4 Pro + and DJI Goggles
1533 10 2018-5-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jim Redman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 53688 ft

I got my Phantom 4 in December.  First drone was the Karma.  I have to say that the Phantom 4 Pro is an incredible drone.  I have had nothing but flawless fights.  I do calibrate the compass before every flight.  Did that with the Karma as well and never had issues.  I got the DJI Goggles as well and now I fly farther than I thought I ever would.  Just awesome.  I have been religiously using the UAV app as well and never fly on high KP index days and low satelite availability days.   If you are not using the UAV index for drone flying you should be to never have fly aways.  Just some good stuff instead of issues.
2018-5-23
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

"I do calibrate the compass before every flight."
You really shouldn't do that, better use the battery time for more flying, enjoy.
2018-5-23
Use props
DJIJAKOB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 740577 ft
  • >>>
Norway

I agree with KedDK. Compass and IMU should only be calibrated if recommended by the DJI Go 4 app. Calibrating before every flight is just unnecessary and takes away that precious flight time. Anyhow it's great to hear that you are happy with your Phantom 4 Pro
2018-5-24
Use props
Jim Redman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 53688 ft

DJIJAKOB Posted at 2018-5-24 05:49
I agree with KedDK. Compass and IMU should only be calibrated if recommended by the DJI Go 4 app. Calibrating before every flight is just unnecessary and takes away that precious flight time. Anyhow it's great to hear that you are happy with your Phantom 4 Pro

respectfully disagree.  I have been doing this on all drones since flying and never have issues.  You should calibrate compass every time.  Only takes seconds.  
2018-5-24
Use props
CM17X
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1489554 ft
Colombia

Jim Redman Posted at 2018-5-24 08:32
respectfully disagree.  I have been doing this on all drones since flying and never have issues.  You should calibrate compass every time.  Only takes seconds.

The manual and the mods here says that is a "no no" calibrating the whole time you flight.
2018-5-24
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

Jim Redman Posted at 2018-5-24 08:32
respectfully disagree.  I have been doing this on all drones since flying and never have issues.  You should calibrate compass every time.  Only takes seconds.

You have all rights to do what you like, just have in mind that tech has evolved and by calibrating the compass before every flight increase the risk that some day something goes wrong and you could end up with a crash for no reason but old habits.
2018-5-24
Use props
DanielTheRider
Second Officer
United States

Out of curiosity. Calibrating the compass is a bad thing? Really? Shoudn't that be standard pre-flight process? I would imagine that's just one more way to ensure you're going to have a better/safer flight. I know it should be done when you're flying at a different location from the previous flight but it's hard to imagine it's a "no-no" to perform compass calibration.
2018-5-25
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

DanielTheRider Posted at 2018-5-25 06:18
Out of curiosity. Calibrating the compass is a bad thing? Really? Shoudn't that be standard pre-flight process? I would imagine that's just one more way to ensure you're going to have a better/safer flight. I know it should be done when you're flying at a different location from the previous flight but it's hard to imagine it's a "no-no" to perform compass calibration.

"Calibrating the compass is a bad thing? Really?"
No not really but can turn out to be very bad while you're in the air if something has gone wacky.

"Shoudn't that be standard pre-flight process?", "I know it should be done when you're flying at a different location from the previous flight"
No and No, download and read your manual, it say what you have to do in regard to the compass.
2018-5-25
Use props
DanielTheRider
Second Officer

"No not really but can turn out to be very bad while you're in the air if something has gone wacky."

Care to elaborate? That was a very vague answer.

"No and No, download and read your manual, it say what you have to do in regard to the compass."

Again, Can you just elaborate?
2018-5-26
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

DanielTheRider Posted at 2018-5-26 23:24
"No not really but can turn out to be very bad while you're in the air if something has gone wacky."

Care to elaborate? That was a very vague answer.

By have a compass calibration done at every pre-flight only add to the risk that it get a bad calibrations that could turn out to cause severe risk of crash or loosing the aircraft.

If you just read the manual as linked to above (#8) it tell you what you have to do in regards to the compass, if you read all the manual state in regards to the compass and follow this strictly you would never do a compass calibration, not as part of pre-flight, not as part of flying on other location, not as part of getting the compass error message!
2018-5-27
Use props
Rexster
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2740 ft
United States

On my last two trips to Cozumel, from Texas, I've never calibrated the compass on the P4 or P4Pro+.
Let the aircraft get it's GPS signals, start up, the RC will say Home Point saved, and I'm lifting off.
I flew into some palm trees this past February, but I had turned the sensors off as I was flying over water, then made a short turn over land and I became disoriented as to the position of the drone. Recovered it and the battery that seems to get thrown out, and continued flying the rest of the day. Nothing was harmed in the incident. LUCKY!!
2018-5-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules