Forgot SD Card, Anyway to Recover Stills/Video?
4719 14 2018-5-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Natedog325
lvl.1

United States

I, very stupidly, did not check to make sure I had the SD card in the drone, nor did I see any warnings that I was lacking a card before I filmed an event. It wasn't until after that I began to realize what I had done. Is there any way to recover any of my still or footage? I see the flight logs but I can't find any pictures. One would think that there should be a back-up in the Go App or saved to my phone.

2018-5-24
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

If you're set up for it, you should have a very low quality vid on your mobile device.  
2018-5-24
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

May we know what exactly drone you are using?
2018-5-24
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-5-24 13:47
If you're set up for it, you should have a very low quality vid on your mobile device.

Does it still take video/photo on the device? i would have thought the lack of SD card wouldn't allow this, i know i see the "No SD Card" symbol when i forget
2018-5-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Any way to recover stills/video?
You would have to have recorded something to be able to recover it.
Without an SD card, your only hope is the low resolution cached video that would have been saved if you have that enabled in the app settings.
It's not what the camera would have recorded direct to the SD card.
It's low resolution and subject to whatever interference and glitches may have affected transmission back to the controller.
Think of the excercise as a learning experience.

2018-5-24
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2018-5-24 19:35
Any way to recover stills/video?
You would have to have recorded something to be able to recover it.
Without an SD card, your only hope is the low resolution cached video that would have been saved if you have that enabled in the app settings.

Can they still record even without the SD card, what i mean is, can you press record or snap a photo in the app when there is no SD card?

Or, are you saying it automatically records the video (if enabled) without the need to physically press record?

I have always had the cache enabled anyway, but i've not noticed any videos when i didnt physically press record, there may have been, i just cannot remember lol
2018-5-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 2018-5-24 21:18
Can they still record even without the SD card, what i mean is, can you press record or snap a photo in the app when there is no SD card?

Or, are you saying it automatically records the video (if enabled) without the need to physically press record?

Some things you just have to test to find out.
I just tried and found out that you can press record with no SD cardand it looks like it's recording with the seconds ticking etc.
The on-screen warnings before you press should be a clue though.
No .. I just meant that you don't get cached videos unless that's enabled in the settings.
You don't get any video without pressing record.

2018-5-24
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Well ... I just tested my P3P .... Android latest Go and FW

I video'd as well just in case ...

1. Card removed from AC
2. Photo refused to work - SD CARD REMOVED warning
3. Video refused to work - SD CARD REMOVED warning.

I tried both via screen - red button was greyed out for both video and photo - and via Controller quick buttons ...

Zilch ... Nada ... Niet ... nothing.

Checked Tablet ... no cache either recorded.

Nigel
2018-5-25
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

Bashy Posted at 2018-5-24 19:21
Does it still take video/photo on the device? i would have thought the lack of SD card wouldn't allow this, i know i see the "No SD Card" symbol when i forget

It depends on the drone (thus the question of Natalia).
Apparently with the P3P it doesn't work - according to Solentlife.

With the P4P you can still shoot photos, record video. Caching doesn't need to be on.
But it's nothing that you are looking forward to:
Video: 1344x720, 30fps

No SD Card.jpg

2018-5-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2018-5-24 21:57
Some things you just have to test to find out.
I just tried and found out that you can press record with no SD cardand it looks like it's recording with the seconds ticking etc.

wow, that is quite impressive, i have forgotten to put in the card during setup many a time but i always  (mostly lol) pick it u during preflight, never gotten so far as to trying it without, thanks...
2018-5-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Eric13 Posted at 2018-5-25 10:01
It depends on the drone (thus the question of Natalia).
Apparently with the P3P it doesn't work - according to Solentlife.

I have the p4p and i have forgotten to put in the card on many occasion but i dont recall seeing that "device storage amount" icon, having said that, i only normally get as far as seeing the shutter button warning, i will have to make a point on having a look next time.
2018-5-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

solentlife Posted at 2018-5-25 08:25
Well ... I just tested my P3P .... Android latest Go and FW

I video'd as well just in case ...

Thats probably a good thing looking at the size of the images, but then i suppose something is better than nothing...
2018-5-25
Use props
fansdf7d83d7
lvl.4

Ukraine

Once I stupidly formatted an SD card and thus lost a crucial file with extremely important photos. I looked up ways to recover videos, and had tried a few, not many to any degree of workable avail.  I managed to recover photos from sd card on Mac by using https://www.cleverfiles.com/micro-sd-card-recovery.html . It's not cheap but effective
2018-6-12
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Turkey

fansdf7d83d7 Posted at 2018-6-12 04:46
Once I stupidly formatted an SD card and thus lost a crucial file with extremely important photos. I looked up ways to recover videos, and had tried a few, not many to any degree of workable avail.  I managed to recover photos from sd card on Mac by using https://www.cleverfiles.com/micro-sd-card-recovery.html . It's not cheap but effective

As long as you do not record any file to that card after formatting - you can usually recover files ... they will be shown with altered title name.

Most people use quick format which only changes the first letter of the file name and wipes the FAT. Full formatting is more destructive and then you have a 50-50 chance of recovery.

The main point - do not record anything to the card if you want to recover anything ...

Nigel
2018-6-14
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

solentlife Posted at 2018-6-14 01:23
As long as you do not record any file to that card after formatting - you can usually recover files ... they will be shown with altered title name.

Most people use quick format which only changes the first letter of the file name and wipes the FAT. Full formatting is more destructive and then you have a 50-50 chance of recovery.

I could be proven wrong but i think you replied a spammer looking at the history of posts all with links to suspicious sites and always from different locations!

You're right about not using the card before recovery has been tried, problem is that many modern OS does create a lot of crap when a device is mounted,
If possible a write protection should be enabled before mounting in a computer for recovery to another drive, problem here is that often the device already are mounted when it is noticed something is wrong.  

But if as OP did, attempt shooting without a card in the first place there would be nothing to recover.
2018-6-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules