No Fly Zone - Urgent Help Required
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SkySight1
lvl.1

Hello,

I have a job booked tomorrow in Manchester and it's right next to an Airport. So I have already contacted the Air Traffic Control as usual who advised that it's fine to fly there, just give them a headsup before and after the flight.

I have my Permission for Commercial Operations and Public Liability Insurance so why is it that DJI are the ones saying I can't fly tomorrow?

I have put in a Self Unlock for the area but that doesn't seem to be sufficient for the No Fly Zone, it just says its unlocked 'Manchester' as a whole.

I have put in a request for the No Fly Zone specifically and have sent my PFCO documents to DJI but it can take 5 working days for a reply.

I have called DJI Technical Support and they just said to e mail Flysafe@dji.com which I did but again this can take 5 working days for a reply.

So I have a job tomorrow with permissions from everyone except DJI, the ones who I spend throusands of pounds with every year and they don't seem to give a damn.

Some urgant help on how I can get around this would be appreciated because obviously turning up tomorrow and saying "It won't take off" will not do my business any good at all.

Thanks in advance, Rob
2018-5-25
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Looks like you're trying to fly in a Restricted Zone.  Sorry, but it sounds like you should have planned more in advance.  

Even if they get back to you, they still might say no.

If you don't hear back in time - or you do and they don't approve, you could try using an older generation AC such as a P2 series which doesn't have nearly the number of restrictions, but even that might not work since the major airports became restricted for the P2s in Jan 2015 (not sure if Manchester is included).  There's no way to know for sure because DJI pulled the online P2 series NFZ maps off the internet a while back for reasons unknown.  To find out for sure, you'd have to get the P2 and try it out in advance.

Then, there's the RF shielding foil method.  Try several layers of foil or acquire some RF shielding foil and tape it to the top of your AC to block the GPS antenna.  You would have to fly in ATTI.  Better practice ahead of time.  Watch out for the wind.  Keep it close.  Good luck.  

2018-5-25
Use props
SkySight1
lvl.1

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-5-25 05:11
Looks like you're trying to fly in a Restricted Zone.  Sorry, but it sounds like you should have planned more in advance.  

If you don't hear back in time, you could try using an older generation AC such as a P2 series, but even that might not work.  There's no way to know for sure because DJI pulled the online P2 series NFZ maps off the internet a while back for reasons unknown.  

Cheers. I only just found out about No Fly Zone actually stopping the drone. I always check with Air Traffic Control etc in advance but just found out this today, hence the panic.

Hoping to avoid the Phantom 2 if possible, will see if DJI will actually get back to me... Thanks
2018-5-25
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

SkySight1 Posted at 2018-5-25 05:14
Cheers. I only just found out about No Fly Zone actually stopping the drone. I always check with Air Traffic Control etc in advance but just found out this today, hence the panic.

Hoping to avoid the Phantom 2 if possible, will see if DJI will actually get back to me... Thanks

Prior to an event you can check on the DJI site if your destination is affected:
https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map

Looks like you are somewhere within that red circle.
Manchester.jpg
2018-5-25
Use props
SkySight1
lvl.1

Eric13 Posted at 2018-5-25 05:40
Prior to an event you can check on the DJI site if your destination is affected:
https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map

Styal Lodge so half in half out.
2018-5-25
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Thank you for raising this concern. We already take note of your request and follow up this with the relevant department. Please be informed, that the processed to unlock the No Fly Zone is within 5 working days.  You will be notified immediately by our No Fly Zone department for the feedback. We apologized for this inconvenience.
2018-5-25
Use props
SkySight1
lvl.1

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-5-25 08:56
Thank you for raising this concern. We already take note of your request and follow up this with the relevant department. Please be informed, that the processed to unlock the No Fly Zone is within 5 working days.  You will be notified immediately by our No Fly Zone department for the feedback. We apologized for this inconvenience.

I know I have screwed up in this instance but it is the first time I have come across it. Is there no way it can be sped up? I have a job tomorrow and on Sunday. Thanks
2018-5-25
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

SkySight1 Posted at 2018-5-25 08:57
I know I have screwed up in this instance but it is the first time I have come across it. Is there no way it can be sped up? I have a job tomorrow and on Sunday. Thanks

Sorry for the inconvenience, this has been forwarded to our No Fly Zone team, however, we have not got information about when it will be updated, I will forward it again. If there is an update, we'll let you know at the first time. Thank you.

2018-5-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules