Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Old Spark batteries safe or not
2892 27 2018-5-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
The Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22890 ft
  • >>>

I’ve read that there has been more than a couple of cases were the Spark battery has come loose during flight.

Threads online seems to suggest it is due to an old version of the Spark batteries where the latches are small / low eneough for the battery to come loose.
I also saw pictures in a thread of two Spark battery versions were one of them had bigger/ taller latches.

When looking at my Spark Fly more combo batteries it seems i have the old battery version.

I have emailed DJI and asked about this 2 times but i only get an generic answer where they asks me for my name, address, proof of purchase, etc.

I only want to know if DJI considers these older batteries unsafe and if they should be exchanged?

This has probably been asked in several threads, but i would like to get an answer from a DJI representative what DJI’s standpoint is?
2018-5-26
Use props
Aurelian (Spark)
Captain
Flight distance : 903350 ft
  • >>>
Spain

If you connect and disconnect the battery with care, if the drone has not suffered any fall and if before each flight you check that the battery is properly connected, you should have absolutely no problem.
2018-5-26
Use props
DMX_MT
Captain
Malta

Do as Aurelian told you and you are Safe.

If you want extra Peace of Mind buy these - DJI Spark Battery Retainers

2018-5-26
Use props
The Pilot
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

Thanks, yes I saw them and it seems like a very good thing to use those, but at the same time I feel those should not be needed if DJI should have designed the Spark battery the right way from the beginning.
Also I wonder if this battery retainer lessens the flight time, and if so by how much?

But above all i´m interested in knowing the official DJI standpoint on this issue.
So do we have any DJI representatives here on the forum who wants to answer this question?
I know you are very active on this forum and are good at answering thread questions, so please answer my question as well....does DJI consider the old Spark battery version safe or not, and do i need to get those old version batteries exchanged for the new version batteries? Also, if a Spark would to crash because an old version Spark battery came loose during flight would the Spark be repaired free of charge on warranty?
2018-5-26
Use props
JDavidTX
lvl.4
Flight distance : 604495 ft
United States

I haven't seen anything on DJI taking back or recalling any of the batteries.  Has anyone else seen or heard anything about this?  I know when I got my FMC in November it came with 2 batteries and subsequently I have purchased 3 more extra batteries at different intervals.  I've looked at all 5 of them and I can't tell any difference in them.  They all lock in nice and firm and tight.  The only thing I have noticed is that the release switches on the side some wiggle/slide while some are solid and firm?  And as far as the repair / warranty? I'm sure that's gonna be a case by case basis and you better be able to get the flight logs and have the spark and battery it was flying on in hand or you'll have little to no chance.  I doubt that DJI will give you a flat out answer on this.  What they will tell you is that the battery retainer is not an OEM DJI part and they don't recommend it but I've seriously considered it for my piece of mind on the matter.
2018-5-26
Use props
The Pilot
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

JDavidTX Posted at 2018-5-26 22:12
I haven't seen anything on DJI taking back or recalling any of the batteries.  Has anyone else seen or heard anything about this?  I know when I got my FMC in November it came with 2 batteries and subsequently I have purchased 3 more extra batteries at different intervals.  I've looked at all 5 of them and I can't tell any difference in them.  They all lock in nice and firm and tight.  The only thing I have noticed is that the release switches on the side some wiggle/slide while some are solid and firm?  And as far as the repair / warranty? I'm sure that's gonna be a case by case basis and you better be able to get the flight logs and have the spark and battery it was flying on in hand or you'll have little to no chance.  I doubt that DJI will give you a flat out answer on this.  What they will tell you is that the battery retainer is not an OEM DJI part and they don't recommend it but I've seriously considered it for my piece of mind on the matter.

Thanks for your answer. Well the difference between the new and old battery versions is supposedly the black latches on either side of the battery, the new batteries has taller latches.
When I look at my 2 Spark batteries they are obviously the old version where the latches is very small.

For the people using the battery retainer....have you noticed any shortening of the flight time?
Pictures posted on another forum:
[url=][/url]

[url=][/url]

2018-5-26
Use props
Aurelian (Spark)
Captain
Flight distance : 903350 ft
  • >>>
Spain

JDavidTX Posted at 2018-5-26 22:12
I haven't seen anything on DJI taking back or recalling any of the batteries.  Has anyone else seen or heard anything about this?  I know when I got my FMC in November it came with 2 batteries and subsequently I have purchased 3 more extra batteries at different intervals.  I've looked at all 5 of them and I can't tell any difference in them.  They all lock in nice and firm and tight.  The only thing I have noticed is that the release switches on the side some wiggle/slide while some are solid and firm?  And as far as the repair / warranty? I'm sure that's gonna be a case by case basis and you better be able to get the flight logs and have the spark and battery it was flying on in hand or you'll have little to no chance.  I doubt that DJI will give you a flat out answer on this.  What they will tell you is that the battery retainer is not an OEM DJI part and they don't recommend it but I've seriously considered it for my piece of mind on the matter.

No, no recalling program.
2018-5-27
Use props
Mountaindrone
Captain
Flight distance : 26618251 ft
  • >>>
France

thanks for the information
2018-5-27
Use props
embayweather
Captain
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

I call the battery retainer, which I have, belt and braces operation. My old style batteries locate fine and when turned upside down or tugged on do not fall out.  The extra security gives me peace of mind and no loss of flight time, well none that I can perceive or measure. Go out and buy one, and you will not regret it.
2018-5-27
Use props
JDavidTX
lvl.4
United States

I remember someone asking about the flight time with the strap.  They said they noticed no difference in flight time and that if it did it was minuscule.
2018-5-27
Use props
JDavidTX
lvl.4
United States

Now this is really gonna go make me check them out!
2018-5-27
Use props
The Pilot
lvl.4
  • >>>

Interesting that none of the DJI representatives have commented about if DJI considers the old battery version safe?
Since i specifically asked a DJI representative to answer this question, but no answers from them so far, even though they are usually good at answering thread questions.

I guess they feel that they need to be careful about what they say?
2018-5-27
Use props
MikB
Captain
Flight distance : 13346 ft
France

I think the answer is that the old batteries are safe to use if used properly. I have four of them and never a problem. However if you are heavy handed they can fail so the improvements cater more for the less careful user. The simplest and lightest solution is a Velcro strap around the body and battery.
2018-5-28
Use props
INTERAVE
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21079 ft
United States

I had an epic battery fail during takeoff. My battery popped right off and my spark helplessly fell to the ground. It ended up with a broken propeller, and errors to the Gimbal and Gyroscope. I got in touch with DJI Support and they requested I send it to them for evaluation. DJI ended up repairing my drone and replacing my battery at no charge to me. I believe they know this is an ongoing issue and I believe they are looking to stand behind their products. If this is an issue for any Spark pilots then I would definitely get in touch with DJI Support and notify them. The more they know about this problem, the more they will realize this is something they need to rectify.
2018-5-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Good day. Thank you for that information. Rest assured that I will send this topic to our DJI engineers to make the proper adjustments and developments on the Spark's batteries. Thank you.
2018-5-28
Use props
The Pilot
lvl.4
  • >>>

MikB Posted at 2018-5-28 01:39
I think the answer is that the old batteries are safe to use if used properly. I have four of them and never a problem. However if you are heavy handed they can fail so the improvements cater more for the less careful user. The simplest and lightest solution is a Velcro strap around the body and battery.

I believe many of the people who had their Spark battery come loose during flight would argue that they mounted the battery properly, and I have read that some of them even had it on their pre-flight check list to check so that the battery is properly mounted.
So I don't know if one can blame the people who had battery fails for not mounting it properly?
2018-5-28
Use props
The Pilot
lvl.4
  • >>>

INTERAVE Posted at 2018-5-28 02:44
I had an epic battery fail during takeoff. My battery popped right off and my spark helplessly fell to the ground. It ended up with a broken propeller, and errors to the Gimbal and Gyroscope. I got in touch with DJI Support and they requested I send it to them for evaluation. DJI ended up repairing my drone and replacing my battery at no charge to me. I believe they know this is an ongoing issue and I believe they are looking to stand behind their products. If this is an issue for any Spark pilots then I would definitely get in touch with DJI Support and notify them. The more they know about this problem, the more they will realize this is something they need to rectify.

Well that was good to hear that at least in some cases DJI is doing the right thing and repairs the Spark for free.
2018-5-28
Use props
INTERAVE
lvl.3
United States

The Pilot Posted at 2018-5-28 10:40
Well that was good to hear that at least in some cases DJI is doing the right thing and repairs the Spark for free.

Even though DJI is standing behind their product in this instance and repairing my Spark and replacing my battery under warranty, I still encourage everyone to purchase a battery bracket for extra protection against a battery "pop off". It's an inexpensive way to prevent a possible expensive disaster.
2018-5-31
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm still using my originals
2018-5-31
Use props
Hddeuce
Second Officer
Flight distance : 128261 ft
United States

Aurelian (Spark) Posted at 2018-5-26 09:14
If you connect and disconnect the battery with care, if the drone has not suffered any fall and if before each flight you check that the battery is properly connected, you should have absolutely no problem.

Just because it has never happened to you, doesn't mean it won't!  I ALWAYS check my battery after installing...I pull/tug ensure it is in tight.  And yet I had one fall out!  Luckily it was only about 5 ft. high, so no damage.

I would love to see someone install a battery "improperly" and have it actually power on the Spark.  In other words, install a battery that is not 100% secured...power on your Spark and then pull the battery out without pulling on the release slides.  You won't be able to do it.  If the battery clicks in properly and powers on the Spark, it has been installed correctly.  If it falls out during flight, that is NOT the users fault.
2018-5-31
Use props
JimboHUN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37156 ft
Hungary

Mine came with the old one but had no issues so far...
2018-6-1
Use props
INTERAVE
lvl.3
United States

An ounce or prevention and protection! It also makes my Spark kinda cool looking!
2018-6-3
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
Flight distance : 84805085 ft
  • >>>

I believe the issue with Spark batteries detaching has to do with placing and removing the battery off the charging plate included with Fly More Combo. There are grooves located on both the Spark, the battery and the charging plate. Failure not being delicate placing and removing batteries from charging plate can cause grooves to strip or damage, which then can damage the grooves on the Spark causing batteries to lose their secure connection leading to risk of dislodging if such damage occurs?
2018-6-3
Use props
djiuser_qRoypWAvl2W2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 673 ft
United States

Hddeuce Posted at 2018-5-31 12:46
Just because it has never happened to you, doesn't mean it won't!  I ALWAYS check my battery after installing...I pull/tug ensure it is in tight.  And yet I had one fall out!  Luckily it was only about 5 ft. high, so no damage.

I would love to see someone install a battery "improperly" and have it actually power on the Spark.  In other words, install a battery that is not 100% secured...power on your Spark and then pull the battery out without pulling on the release slides.  You won't be able to do it.  If the battery clicks in properly and powers on the Spark, it has been installed correctly.  If it falls out during flight, that is NOT the users fault.

It is not possible to power the Spark with the battery improperly attached. Yet, my battery fell out after a several minutes of flying, from 100 ft. I suspect this is due to a resonant mechanical vibration at a certain power setting.
2018-6-4
Use props
Hddeuce
Second Officer
Flight distance : 128261 ft
United States

djiuser_qRoypWAvl2W2 Posted at 2018-6-4 09:20
It is not possible to power the Spark with the battery improperly attached. Yet, my battery fell out after a several minutes of flying, from 100 ft. I suspect this is due to a resonant mechanical vibration at a certain power setting.

Exactly!  But some are very arrogant and think that because they've never had a battery fall out, it's definitely user error!  
2018-6-4
Use props
John Kean
New

Cyprus

Guys can anyone help us.  I purchased a dji mavic pro platinum drone as a gift and the boys used it twice on the beach and managed to get sea water into it.  I cannot afford the repairs at €900euro and wondered if anyone knows which drone I should buy so that i can get use of the 2 spare batteries that came with it.  Can I use them on another make/model, or are they built uniquely for each drone?  Any advice from anyone would be most helpful indeed very much appreciated.  I have 2 very sad faces please turn them into smiles.
2018-7-31
Use props
m1n1s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 319915 ft
United Kingdom

The Pilot Posted at 2018-5-26 23:10
Thanks for your answer. Well the difference between the new and old battery versions is supposedly the black latches on either side of the battery, the new batteries has taller latches.
When I look at my 2 Spark batteries they are obviously the old version where the latches is very small.

haven't noticed any reduction in flight time due to the battery clip , might give a bit more resistance in the air but worth it to stop the battery falling out and destroying my Spark and possibly hurting someone , drones already have a bad name - are we all willing to fly when we know the battery can pop out?
2018-7-31
Use props
KedDK
Captain
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

John Kean Posted at 2018-7-31 00:38
Guys can anyone help us.  I purchased a dji mavic pro platinum drone as a gift and the boys used it twice on the beach and managed to get sea water into it.  I cannot afford the repairs at €900euro and wondered if anyone knows which drone I should buy so that i can get use of the 2 spare batteries that came with it.  Can I use them on another make/model, or are they built uniquely for each drone?  Any advice from anyone would be most helpful indeed very much appreciated.  I have 2 very sad faces please turn them into smiles.

There should be no need to post the same all over the different sections of the forum.
Look out for a second hand Mavic Pro or Mavic Pro Platinum might be the best advise. Have you asked DJI for the repair costs, often it seem to not be that expensive after all but take some time before you get it back.
2018-7-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules