Have you ever flown in the Rain?
5392 26 2018-5-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

I am just curious who of you have actually flown in the rain weather it be intentionally or unintentionally in the rain?  I know a couple times I was flying and it started sprinkling and I immediately brought my Mavic Pro home.  How wet has your Mavic gotten and did you take off when it was raining or did it start after the fact?  Has this caused any problems with your Drone?  I would never fly intentionally in the rain and 95% of the time I look at UAV forecast and if it says a chance of rain I will not even attempt but a couple times I was out when it started and immediately brought it back.  I figure for those that have a lot of Killometers/Miles you have been caught a couple times in the rain.  
2018-5-26
Use props
chiplifter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 745180 ft
Netherlands

At first drips I fly back. Never intended to fly in the rain.
2018-5-26
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
United States

chiplifter Posted at 2018-5-26 10:37
At first drips I fly back. Never intended to fly in the rain.

Yes same here.  Has only happened a couple times.  Thanks for commenting
2018-5-26
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10411017 ft
Canada

I'm the same way as soon as I see a few drops I hurry the drone back, will not take any chances.
2018-5-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 14237874 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I was flying my Mavic Pro last September and the sky suddenly opened and a huge rain fall fell from nowhere - the drone was 4000' away from me - I flew it back and surprisingly it was not affected by the weather at all. These drones are quite resistant but it would only take a few drops of rain to get inside the drone and corrosion would start. Always best to stay grounded when it's raining.
2018-5-26
Use props
Chris Borg
Second Officer
Malta

I have a few times but normally because I realise it has started raining and then bring it back. One of the times I remember it started chucking it down but the drone was ok !

I just wipe it down and get it back in the car asap
2018-5-26
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13498560 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Got caught in the rain a few times and just bolted back home, nothing serious but can take any risks these are not the splash drones you know
2018-5-26
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-5-26 10:43
I was flying my Mavic Pro last September and the sky suddenly opened and a huge rain fall fell from nowhere - the drone was 4000' away from me - I flew it back and surprisingly it was not affected by the weather at all. These drones are quite resistant but it would only take a few drops of rain to get inside the drone and corrosion would start. Always best to stay grounded when it's raining.

Yeah that can be the bad thing about the good range on these is it may be clear where you are standing but may all of a sudden start raining out where the AC is.  And I agree these seem to be resistant to a point which is good for being caught unaware.  Great story A CW.
2018-5-26
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
United States

Chris Borg Posted at 2018-5-26 10:43
I have a few times but normally because I realise it has started raining and then bring it back. One of the times I remember it started chucking it down but the drone was ok !

I just wipe it down and get it back in the car asap

Yup is what I did as soon as I brought it in was wipe it dry off.  Thanks for sharing
2018-5-26
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
United States

Suren Posted at 2018-5-26 10:45
Got caught in the rain a few times and just bolted back home, nothing serious but can take any risks these are not the splash drones you know

yes I hear you I put in sports mode and came back immediately.  Never will risk it
2018-5-26
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've been caught out a couple of times when it suddenly started to rain. Flew it home as quick as I could and everything seems to be okay.
2018-5-26
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
United States

Picanoc Jack Posted at 2018-5-26 10:40
I'm the same way as soon as I see a few drops I hurry the drone back, will not take any chances.

I hear ya I also will not take any chances.  Moisture and Electronics do not mix
2018-5-26
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
United States

FatherXmas Posted at 2018-5-26 11:39
I've been caught out a couple of times when it suddenly started to rain. Flew it home as quick as I could and everything seems to be okay.

Yup exactly the same here.  
2018-5-26
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-5-26 11:28
yes I hear you I put in sports mode and came back immediately.  Never will risk it

That was my experience too.  I felt 2 drips on my face and immediately hit sport mode and brought my craft back home.  Made it into the car just as it really started to come down. drone was not damaged at all, as it only got a few drops.   But i was really nervous for a minute.
2018-5-26
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 108805200 ft
  • >>>

I never flew in the rain and don't think it would be such a good idea with all the electronics on board. Don't forget there's more moisture atop where the drone would be flying than down on ground level, and I've seen videos on YouTube of people landing after flying near rain clouds when afterwards their drone was covered in moisture. Overall, the drone can probably fly through rain initially but the rainwater can definitely short circuit something, which is why I try not to expose my drones to the risk of moisture.
2018-5-26
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-5-26 16:24
I never flew in the rain and don't think it would be such a good idea with all the electronics on board. Don't forget there's more moisture atop where the drone would be flying than down on ground level, and I've seen videos on YouTube of people landing after flying near rain clouds when afterwards their drone was covered in moisture. Overall, the drone can probably fly through rain initially but the rainwater can definitely short circuit something, which is why I try not to expose my drones to the risk of moisture.

Exactly.  Would one put their Computer outside in the rain?  That is the way I see it.  These are pretty much flying computers/cameras and any kind of moisture is bad news.
2018-5-26
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 108805200 ft
  • >>>

SparksBird Posted at 2018-5-26 16:28
Exactly.  Would one put their Computer outside in the rain?  That is the way I see it.  These are pretty much flying computers/cameras and any kind of moisture is bad news.

This is a good topic of conversation and an area where DJI can improve their drones, by certifying them the same way as do mobile smartphone manufacturers. To think that my Samsung S7 is a certified IP68 dust and water resistant device and I use it with DJI GO 4, if one day DJI drones are similarly rated then one would have a complete indoor/outdoor solution.
2018-5-26
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-5-26 16:34
This is a good topic of conversation and an area where DJI can improve their drones, by certifying them the same way as do mobile smartphone manufacturers. To think that my Samsung S7 is a certified IP68 dust and water resistant device and I use it with DJI GO 4, if one day DJI drones are similarly rated then one would have a complete indoor/outdoor solution.

I agree it would be good if they could make them at least somewhat water resistant.  Perhaps in future models.  
2018-5-26
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-5-26 16:34
This is a good topic of conversation and an area where DJI can improve their drones, by certifying them the same way as do mobile smartphone manufacturers. To think that my Samsung S7 is a certified IP68 dust and water resistant device and I use it with DJI GO 4, if one day DJI drones are similarly rated then one would have a complete indoor/outdoor solution.

My thinking is the hardest part which makes it different than a smart phone is the exposed camera and the motors and how to make those at least partially water resistant?  I am sure there are ways though to at least do a better job than it is currently.  Thank you very much for your participation here these are great points my friend.
2018-5-26
Use props
MaineMavick
lvl.4
Flight distance : 169524 ft

I wonder if anything can be done to waterproof it.
2018-5-26
Use props
AuroraHunter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 938012 ft
United States

There are drones that are made for fishing. They can be tossed into the water and take off and land from there. If you flip them upside down they can pull themselves under like a sub. There is what they call Conformal coating. It protects pcb's. They have been using it in cars and mission critical devices for a very long time.
It would suprise me if DJI did not confromal coat there electronics. Its not that expensive com paired to warranty replacements.
2018-5-26
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have to share this classic here.

2018-5-26
Use props
MaineMavick
lvl.4

I want to hear from DJI about how well this drone operates in the rain.
2018-5-26
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've flown my Spark in rain and snowstorm with no problems. I flew my Mavic Air the very first time in a light mist and the begining of rain. My very first asteroid shot has a rain drop on the lens. I haven't had any problems with the flight or interference. I'm mostly just worried about it shorting out, but then again I've heard that people can drop their Spark in the water and have it still work... so there's that.  
2018-5-26
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

MaineMavick Posted at 2018-5-26 20:16
I want to hear from DJI about how well this drone operates in the rain.

DJI will always say "Only fly in optimal conditions"
2018-5-26
Use props
MaineMavick
lvl.4

Bing Err Posted at 2018-5-26 20:43
DJI will always say "Only fly in optimal conditions"

CYA, I would always expect any modern company to do this, and I don't blame them.
2018-5-26
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

MaineMavick Posted at 2018-5-26 16:53
I wonder if anything can be done to waterproof it.

There is spray now that you can coat circuit boards. I'm not sure what options are out there but potentially you could remove all the electronics from your drone, spray them all down, put it back together and then go fly in the rain. It would be fun to try with my Spark. Here's an article I found.

https://gizmodo.com/neverwets-wa ... -into-su-1000845935
2018-5-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules