3911 8 2018-5-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Schmooit
First Officer
Flight distance : 1336581 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HI Guys no need to get into a mass discussion on this but Im posting this right after the experience!

Im in the UK Southampton and this weekend was forecast for some Lightning and Thunder! Awesome on its own, so I thought Id risk the Mavic Air to what I can catch!

No sooner had I heard a few rumbles on their way I thought Id throw the bird in the air and after id reached Max Alt the heavons opened (you know inch wide rain drops with miltary precison, anyone from Jupitor Florida will known what im talking about)

After id cleared the decks and other batteries etc I was bring the bird down and to my amazment everything was normal as if nothing had happened she must have been in the air for at least 5 mins before I could bring her in (high winds also) and then I had to land her.

Quick wipe down and all is normal! ready to go back up.

It was soaked when I got it back down but everything is ok (have a few air sprays just to blast any rain out of the bits I can clean with a kitchen towel.

I did give the body a quick car polish earlier to day to help with fingerprints but it might have also helped with the rain as it just beaded off also helped but the rotors.

All in all quite impressed as the images seemed to be ok as the lense didnt get hit!

Quite surprised on its resilience!
Dont get me wrong I wouldnt advise sending it up in a storm unless you dont mind risking the loss and possible injury resulting but still its good to know!

(My P3P doesnt like the rain really last time we got caught she smelt a bit when I got her back down!)

GOOD WORK DJI keep it up
2018-5-26
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Good to hear, I wont risk it though
2018-5-26
Use props
Tealk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 479613 ft
Romania

no wather rezistent ..
2018-5-26
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Don't underestimate the longer term corrosion and oxidation inside the body. Electronics and water do not pair well as a natural matter of fact.
2018-5-26
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

I flown few times in downpours.  I don’t recommend doing It a lot.  It will survive getting wet but not going to be happy getting drenched.  Let’s put it that way.  

It’s designed to handle the rain racing back to safety not flying around in it casually.  
2018-5-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-5-26 12:10
Don't underestimate the longer term corrosion and oxidation inside the body. Electronics and water do not pair well as a natural matter of fact.

Very good advice! I got caught in the rain once and everything was fine when I landed. I checked over everything the morning and the battery had swelled...
2018-5-26
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Mavic Air is not a waterproof drone. We don't suggest you keep flying the drone if it got water damaged for the safety concern since parts might be rusty and don't work properly, which would cause a potential threat to fly safe. If there is a need, you can contact our support for further help http://www.dji.com/support.
2018-5-27
Use props
Schmooit
First Officer
Flight distance : 1336581 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-5-26 23:39
Very good advice! I got caught in the rain once and everything was fine when I landed. I checked over everything the morning and the battery had swelled...

That's unlucky  chap mine came back not drenched but  pretty wet I always have some compressed air cans to hand and use these to blow out any moisture that might have gotten inside.

Its definitely not something anyone should plan to do  as as Watchberger has said water and electricity are not the best of pals!

I was just impressed that it didn't just fall out of the sky as it was quite a downpour it only lasted for about  10 mins and almost stopped by the time id landed!
2018-5-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Schmooit Posted at 2018-5-28 04:14
That's unlucky  chap mine came back not drenched but  pretty wet I always have some compressed air cans to hand and use these to blow out any moisture that might have gotten inside.

Its definitely not something anyone should plan to do  as as Watchberger has said water and electricity are not the best of pals!

Yeah, it was last year and now I always check the forecast which is 99% accurate these days You never know what the weather can do though during a flight. Luckily all was fine so it does prove a good level of water resistance but these drones (except the Matrice 200 series) are not designed to be flown in the rain. It's like using your laptop on a park bench in the rain!
2018-5-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules