fell from sky- can anyone tell me why? :(
1351 13 2018-5-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rjbal
lvl.1

Australia

HI All
I'm very new to this drone experience - only ordered it a month ago received it really quickly and did lots of test flights before last week venturing a bit further and really enjoying it.
Today I went out into an open paddock auto sent the phantom to start then I got up to 10 m went to turn to fly off and I heard the drone go quiet- motors cut out and it hit the ground. I could see damage to the gimble and two propellers were broken. I was able to replace these and put back in air to see if it would fly but the gimble is totally damged and no image at all. You can see it bent at entry point to drone.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/XGV7U93STSOWTZNJEOCB/

I think I have uploaded the flight log.

Thanks so much for your help - I'm just devastated.

I've lodged a case- I think I now wait for them to send an address label. Then I send everything except batteries back? SD card and propellers that are ok. Does that sound right??

Thanks again.
Rachel
2018-5-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The flight data stops while the Phantom was still climbing but it shows that you launched with a battery that was already partly discharged which is a concern.
At 15 seconds the battery cell voltage was already down to 3.7V.
When it gets to 3.3V, it's critical low voltage time.
The data doesn't prove this caused the issue but if the flight went another minute it might have.
The % indicator only gives a true reading if you start with a fully charged battery.

2018-5-27
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

I looked at his flight record at Airdata. There is a flat line for battery temperature.
What do you think about it? I have never seen this...

Battery Temp.jpg

2018-5-27
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Nothing in that log to indicate a problem, you will just have to wait for DJI to analyse the logs.

Suggest you wait for GPS to record the home point before take off in future.

You should always start the day with a freshly charged battery, not a 50% charged one that I guess you had fully charged and then left until it did the automatic self discharge down to 50%.  However the voltages are fine for flight so that was not the cause.

What state was the battery in when you picked it up?  Was it in the aircraft?  Was it powered on with the lights lit?

I'm guessing DJI will replace it under warranty.
2018-5-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Clearly looks like a major fault with the battery. I suggest you contact DJI support and ship it back for replacement asap.
2018-5-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Nigel_ Posted at 2018-5-27 01:51
Nothing in that log to indicate a problem, you will just have to wait for DJI to analyse the logs.

The Phantom had full GPS and had recorded it's home point before takeoff.
Then at 4 seconds it updated the recorded homepoint.
2018-5-27
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

I am sorry to hear about what happened to your aircraft. Our engineers will take care of your drone when it arrives. Also, we have our Analyst Team that will review your flight record. Yes, you will receive the shipping label, you may check it in your SPAM folder. Just send in the unit except for the battery and other accessories such as propellers. Hope everything goes smoothly. If you need any assistance during this process, please do not hesitate to let us know. Thank you.
2018-5-27
Use props
rjbal
lvl.1

Australia

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-5-27 03:32
I am sorry to hear about what happened to your aircraft. Our engineers will take care of your drone when it arrives. Also, we have our Analyst Team that will review your flight record. Yes, you will receive the shipping label, you may check it in your SPAM folder. Just send in the unit except for the battery and other accessories such as propellers. Hope everything goes smoothly. If you need any assistance during this process, please do not hesitate to let us know. Thank you.

Thank you Natalia.
2018-5-27
Use props
rjbal
lvl.1

Australia

Labroides Posted at 2018-5-27 02:03
The Phantom had full GPS and had recorded it's home point before takeoff.
Then at 4 seconds it updated the recorded homepoint.

I always do auto take off then wait a few seconds till it says home point recorded - then I just went up a few m was turning around then it cut out. I checked the battery had enough time to do what I wanted which was just a quick fly over the paddocks on the farm to see where the tractors were up to and back. As it was only likely to be a 5 minute flight I knew I had enough to do that. Plus I know it gives a RTH when it gets really low. I had only be in air less than a minute- I think it was 15 seconds.
2018-5-27
Use props
rjbal
lvl.1

Australia

A CW Posted at 2018-5-27 01:52
Clearly looks like a major fault with the battery. I suggest you contact DJI support and ship it back for replacement asap.

So should I include the battery- I thought the log showed the battery was good? And they said in returns to not include it?
2018-5-27
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

rjbal Posted at 2018-5-27 03:59
I checked the battery had enough time to do what I wanted which was just a quick fly over the paddocks on the farm to see where the tractors were up to and back. As it was only likely to be a 5 minute flight I knew I had enough to do that. ...

https://forum.dji.com/thread-148132-1-1.html

Sorry for your loss.

Good luck
2018-5-27
Use props
Siambuddhas Group
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116926 ft
Singapore

no worries...DJI group should be able to get it done within the warranty period as i also got into such but mine was a bit the other way round...cheers....svc was quick too ...
2018-5-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rjbal Posted at 2018-5-27 04:00
So should I include the battery- I thought the log showed the battery was good? And they said in returns to not include it?

You'll need to be guided by DJI support as to what they will want you to return for diagnostic tests etc. They often require the whole package to be returned but that will depend on a case-by-case basis. Good luck with the replacement.
2018-5-27
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

rjbal Posted at 2018-5-27 04:00

There should be no need for them to have the battery since they have the necessary data stored in the aircraft.  There may also be an issue in shipping lithium batteries so best not to send it.

I don't see anything wrong with the battery, except that it hadn't be charged for a while.  The flat temperature line is not unexpected for a few seconds just after startup, the heat probably hasn't got to the thermometer yet since you hadn't used much power.

Using a battery that has auto-discharged for storage is not recommended and does sometimes result in unexpected critical landings without returning home.
2018-5-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules