Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Lost Drone !
12Next >
2253 40 2018-5-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MiByrd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 17346 ft
United States

I really need help solving this ... before I invest in another Phantom

I have owned the DJI Phantom 3 standard for approximately 5months and have approx 85 flights under my belt. I love it !
On May 2nd, however, I was flying a mission I have flown 2 times previous. This mission was set up on Litchi mission hub
and prior to the first flight, I tested using KDL 3D path.  I flew the mission with no issue, tweaked some of the camera POI's
to make the flight video smoother and as I said flew this mission twice before the final crash. I have included the link from this mission
on AirData (see link) https://app.airdata.com/ main?share=jqadgX

Anyway, I was flying the final mission on May 2nd (perfect weather). It's an 11 minute autonomous flight that I've never had an issue with before,
but for some reason my drone crashed at 2:37 into the mission ... of course in water !
I was not able to recover my drone. I know there are many variables involved, but why would it just go down like that ?
I am just very disappointed, especially because I thought I was cautious setting up my missions regarding altitude, speed, weather etc ... and like I said I've run this mission 2x already successfully.

Can you please check the logs to see what the actual issue is regarding my drone going down - the battery life was good, no obstructions, great weather!

I'm just so bummed that my drone is gone and really have to think about the finances involved before investing the money and emotions into another.  If there

is any other information you need from this flight, please don't hesitate to ask. Thank you.  

2018-5-28
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Sorry for your loss.  Could you upload your log here and post the link?  Thanks

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

site credit:  msinger
2018-5-28
Use props
MiByrd
lvl.3
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-5-28 07:59

Hi,

I tried uploading the .csv file from litchi
it doesn't appear to be taking it ... I tried the link you supplied and nothing shows up
I also tried uploading from reply and it just hangs up !   any advise ?   Thanks
2018-5-28
Use props
MiByrd
lvl.3
United States

MiByrd Posted at 2018-5-28 08:15
Hi,

I tried uploading the .csv file from litchi

I take it the AirData link I supplied doesn't show /give enough info ?   Thanks
2018-5-28
Use props
MrPinaColada
Second Officer
Flight distance : 790082 ft
United States

You didn't necessarily have the greatest signal connection but that's expected when you're doing long range missions such as that. It could have been multiple things since you don't have the phantom, but I'd say it very well could have been a bird strike. I've had a few divebomb me and gotten very close to having my phantom taken out.
2018-5-28
Use props
Eric13
Captain
Flight distance : 13430925 ft
  • >>>

MiByrd Posted at 2018-5-28 08:16
I take it the AirData link I supplied doesn't show /give enough info ?   Thanks

Airdata is nice graphically but it doesn't provide important information like altitude change.
That "phantomhelp..." link should be working, You can also upload csv files.

I downloaded the kml file from Airdata and it looks like after a right turn during massive signal issues
the drone start descending slow but continously. But that gives no hints. Are there any powerlines?
You need to upload at phantomhelp.

[edit: signal issues should be no problem with Litchi as the drone will continue its path even if RC signal is lost...]

2018-5-28
Use props
MiByrd
lvl.3
United States

MrPinaColada Posted at 2018-5-28 08:25
You didn't necessarily have the greatest signal connection but that's expected when you're doing long range missions such as that. It could have been multiple things since you don't have the phantom, but I'd say it very well could have been a bird strike. I've had a few divebomb me and gotten very close to having my phantom taken out.

Thanks for looking .. I'd agree regarding connection but as I said - I flew that same mission 2x before and never had an issue ... looks like it went down in the water !   Very possible it was a bird !  Just sux !  
2018-5-28
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

I am sorry to hear about what happened to your aircraft. Just to confirm, did you use the Litchi App when you have your last flight? As per policy, DJI is not supporting the 3rd-party apps. In this case, our Analyst team will not be able to review the flight record using the 3rd-party application. You may check our After-Sales Policy.

https://www.dji.com/service/policy?site=brandsite&from=footer

2018-5-28
Use props
MiByrd
lvl.3
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-5-28 08:48
I am sorry to hear about what happened to your aircraft. Just to confirm, did you use the Litchi App when you have your last flight? As per policy, DJI is not supporting the 3rd-party apps. In this case, our Analyst team will not be able to review the flight record using the 3rd-party application. You may check our After-Sales Policy.

https://www.dji.com/service/policy?site=brandsite&from=footer

Well I guess thats that !  Litchi told me it was probably a hardware issue - DJI says, if you use 3rd party software (even though DJI promotes Litchi)  we won't help !  I'm well over $1000  - what with the extra batteries and the hard case, the mini 3 Ipad, etc ... so I guess I'm just outta luck  - damn shame.  I wasn't expecting a new drone ... just some assistance in figuring out what happened !   
2018-5-28
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

MiByrd Posted at 2018-5-28 09:38
Well I guess thats that !  Litchi told me it was probably a hardware issue - DJI says, if you use 3rd party software (even though DJI promotes Litchi)  we won't help !  I'm well over $1000  - what with the extra batteries and the hard case, the mini 3 Ipad, etc ... so I guess I'm just outta luck  - damn shame.  I wasn't expecting a new drone ... just some assistance in figuring out what happened !

As much as we would love to help you review the last flight record, but our Analyst team will not be able to read it. But, I can try to check another recommendation/advised by our Engineer team. I will get back to you once I receive the feedback.
2018-5-28
Use props
MiByrd
lvl.3
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-5-28 09:52
As much as we would love to help you review the last flight record, but our Analyst team will not be able to read it. But, I can try to check another recommendation/advised by our Engineer team. I will get back to you once I receive the feedback.

Thank you - I do appreciate that gesture
2018-5-28
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

MiByrd Posted at 2018-5-28 09:38

DJI says, if you use 3rd party software (even though DJI promotes Litchi)  we won't help
Correction - DJI only said that they won't use 3rd party flight data.
If you can retrieve the Phantom, it will have a DJI flight log stored on its internal data recorder and DJI would use that.
Also DJI don't promote Litchi.  

You also have forum members that will look at your flight data if you will just upload it to the link given above (it's working now).
2018-5-28
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

MiByrd Posted at 2018-5-28 10:04
Thank you - I do appreciate that gesture

I understand how you feel, but we do not support to analyze the flight records in the third party APP.  If the drone has been retrieved and the flight logs have not been overwritten, data analysis can be arranged if the unit is still under warranty period. Again, we're sincerely sorry for your loss.
2018-5-28
Use props
KedDK
Captain
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

"Very possible it was a bird !" if that is the case i guess it don't matter what app was used anyway, think you have to find the drone and hopefully the internal log or the recording on the SD would give a more specific answer. "Just sux !" absolutely.
2018-5-28
Use props
Porktree
Captain
Flight distance : 1118323 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-5-28 09:52
As much as we would love to help you review the last flight record, but our Analyst team will not be able to read it. But, I can try to check another recommendation/advised by our Engineer team. I will get back to you once I receive the feedback.

This is why my next drone will not be a DJI product; they just don't do customer service very well.
2018-5-29
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Porktree Posted at 2018-5-29 05:58
This is why my next drone will not be a DJI product; they just don't do customer service very well.

That's a good idea.
Go and find a company that will replace your drone when you can't show them the drone and can't tell why it stopped working.
2018-5-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Another bummer. Sorry to read about this misadventure.

Good luck retrieving it. Go back and find it.

RedHotPoker
2018-5-29
Use props
Porktree
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-5-29 06:52
That's a good idea.
Go and find a company that will replace your drone when you can't show them the drone and can't tell why it stopped working.

LOL... There are logs but; "Analyst team will not be able to review the flight record using the 3rd-party application. You may check our After-Sales Policy." But I do love your white knight approach, every large company needs defenders.
2018-5-29
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've never trusted those Litchi apps with any of my tons of flights.  Rather either manually navigate or use RTH but again only if I needed to. Mostly fly manually to have totally control. Just my observation.
2018-5-29
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Porktree Posted at 2018-5-29 10:44
LOL... There are logs but; "Analyst team will not be able to review the flight record using the 3rd-party application. You may check our After-Sales Policy." But I do love your white knight approach, every large company needs defenders.

And those logs are only going to show that he flew until the data stopped but won't show why the data stopped.
It would be the same if he'd flown with the DJI Go app.
To get any warranty replacement, he would have to be able to present the drone with its internal data recorder.
But I do love your naive expectation that any (other) company is just going to give away free drones to owners that can't provide any evidence to prove the cause of the loss.
2018-5-29
Use props
MiByrd
lvl.3
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-5-29 13:45
And those logs are only going to show that he flew until the data stopped but won't show why the data stopped.
To get any warranty replacement, he would have to be able to present the drone with its internal data recorder.

Just to clarify - I never said I wanted DJI to 'give' me a new drone ... I just want to know what happened !
I wanted to have a better understanding before buying a new phantom! Was this pilot error, software - hardware error, a bird ?  

BTW - the link in my initial feed opens to Air Data - this is where both  the csv & kml log files are ... I tried uploading the csv - but for some reason it will not upload !  If anyone has a better idea of how to upload - please let me know ! Thanks
https://app.airdata.com/ main?share=jqadgX

2018-5-29
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

MiByrd Posted at 2018-5-29 15:56
Just to clarify - I never said I wanted DJI to 'give' me a new drone ... I just want to know what happened !
I wanted to have a better understanding before buying a new phantom! Was this pilot error, software - hardware error, a bird ?  

The new drone comment was for the benefit of Porktree.

The CSV file shows you launching with a partially discharged battery, which is not a safe thing to do.
However it appears not to have been a factor in the incident as the battery cell level was still at 3.9V at the end of the recorded data.
The drone was in stable flight with no abrupt (or even subtle) changes in pitch, roll or yaw to suggest it was in trouble.
The data stream just ends which is usually indicative of the power supply suddenly being cut.
There's nothing there to suggest operator error in the way the Phantom was being flown.
If you could recover the drone, it is likely that you would have a warranty claim.
2018-5-29
Use props
MiByrd
lvl.3
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-5-29 16:30
The new drone comment was for the benefit of Porktree.

The CSV file shows you launching with a partially discharged battery, which is not a safe thing to do.

Thank You for your assessment - much appreciated.

if you notice - where it cuts out is over the Hackensack River !!
I did go to the area where it last shows flight and I couldn't find it !  
The area there is not very accessible  - but I will try again - Thank you.  
2018-5-29
Use props
Porktree
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-5-29 13:45
And those logs are only going to show that he flew until the data stopped but won't show why the data stopped.

Wow, I never said I expected them to give up a free drone?  Are you insane?  The fact that they will not even read 3rd party logs because they can't (LOL seriously can't) is ludicrous.  DJI has an historically bad customer service record, and you're white knighting is hilarious.  Do you think they will give you a new drone for being their champion?  Soooo touchy
2018-5-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

MiByrd Posted at 2018-5-29 17:45
Thank You for your assessment - much appreciated.

if you notice - where it cuts out is over the Hackensack River !!

What holds back your willingness to post the flight LOG?

This will hopefully help you discover what may have happened, and find it.
If you want it back...

RedHotPoker

2018-5-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-5-28 07:59

Nice mention.

Oh, do you know Mike?

RedHotPoker
2018-5-30
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

Mike?  Heck yeah.  He's my neighbor
2018-5-30
Use props
Alan77505
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3058789 ft
  • >>>
United States

Flying over water and not being able to see the done is risky.  My guess would be a collision with a bird.  Had a friend lose his drone from a bird dive bombing his drone over a lake.
2018-5-30
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Porktree Posted at 2018-5-30 08:18
Wow, I never said I expected them to give up a free drone?  Are you insane?  The fact that they will not even read 3rd party logs because they can't (LOL seriously can't) is ludicrous.  DJI has an historically bad customer service record, and you're white knighting is hilarious.  Do you think they will give you a new drone for being their champion?  Soooo touchy

It's probably a bit too subtle for you but I was explaining how things are.
Not white knighting anything at all.
For just about any product, the  manufacturer need to see it to verify that it was defective and the warranty claim is valid.
DJI drones are different in that where a flight log demonstrates the cause of the loss of a drone was a DJI issue, they will replace the drone without physically seeing it.
I've demonstrated what the 3rd party recorded data shows and it does not show enough information to prove the cause of the incident.
Where the flight data just stops and shows no proof of the cause of the incident, DJI won't cover it.
They don't know if the battery wasn't put in properly, if the drone was struck by lightning, shot down by a crazy person etc.
If the buyer could return the Phantom for investigation, things would be different and the use of a 3rd party app wouldn't matter.

Wow, I never said I expected them to give up a free drone?  Are you insane?
Again, it will be too subtle for you but you were suggesting that DJi should hand out replacements without verifying that the loss was caused by a defective drone.
That would be giving away free drones.
Thanks for your concern about my mental health but it's not necessary.

2018-5-30
Use props
MiByrd
lvl.3
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-5-30 14:16
It's probably a bit too subtle for you but I was explaining how things are.
Not white knighting anything at all.
For just about any product, the  manufacturer need to see it to verify that it was defective and the warranty claim is valid.

The logs DJI would need to see are stored within my phantom that went down - correct ?
the logs I uploaded to Air Data from my Ipad (Litchi app) after the final flight simply don't show enough
information - do I have this right ?  

RedHotPoker - I tried uploading the csv file from AirData to the link you and DJI supplied however, when I
click the link and point it to the csv file on my desktop - it uploads and shows no information

Now, if I can recover my phantom (more than likely out of the river)
will there still be stored information or will the water damage be too great to read the data?  
Thanks.
2018-5-30
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

MiByrd Posted at 2018-5-30 15:18
The logs DJI would need to see are stored within my phantom that went down - correct ?
the logs I uploaded to Air Data from my Ipad (Litchi app) after the final flight simply don't show enough

Yes - that's correct.
Now, if I can recover my phantom (more than likely out of the river)
will there still be stored information or will the water damage be too great to read the data?

The internal flight recorder uses an SD card which should still have the data on it even after weeks in water.
2018-5-30
Use props
MiByrd
lvl.3
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-5-30 15:22

Thanks Man ... much appreciated for everyones help !
2018-5-30
Use props
BR86
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1105213 ft

I feel your pain- just lost mine too while flying a mission (already posted the details).  Like you, I am heavily invested in the phantom 3 series and have a venom charger, extra batteries, etc.  My decision was to bite the big one and order a refurbed phantom 3 SE, which cost me less than buying another phantom 3 standard.  I also have a p3 pro, but its a pain with android; will probably sell it   
2018-5-30
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

BR86 Posted at 2018-5-30 15:55
I also have a p3 pro, but its a pain with android; will probably sell it

You must have an issue.  My P3P with Android is awesome!  
2018-5-30
Use props
G_Sig
Captain
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

MiByrd Posted at 2018-5-29 15:56

When you share your Airdata like this you have to include the original flight log in share.
Then we can upload it to Phantomhelp or use it in other programs.
If we use Litchi we have to find the drone to get the log. Litchi and DjiGo do the same, if connection is lost you don't get logs without the drone.
2018-6-2
Use props
MiByrd
lvl.3
United States

G_Sig Posted at 2018-6-2 06:18
When you share your Airdata like this you have to include the original flight log in share.
Then we can upload it to Phantomhelp or use it in other programs.
If we use Litchi we have to find the drone to get the log. Litchi and DjiGo do the same, if connection is lost you don't get logs without the drone.

And there lies the issue !   "Lost Drone" I was never able to find the drone !   

Thanks
2018-6-9
Use props
G_Sig
Captain
Iceland

MiByrd Posted at 2018-6-9 08:57
And there lies the issue !   "Lost Drone" I was never able to find the drone !   

Thanks

To upload to Phantomhelp
you have to use the original .csv file from Litchi.
You can download it from Airdata, under the map.
2018-6-9
Use props
MiByrd
lvl.3
United States

G_Sig Posted at 2018-6-9 10:36
To upload to Phantomhelp
you have to use the original .csv file from Litchi.
You can download it from Airdata, under the map.

Thanks ... I did however, supply a link to AirData in my opening thread - which has the link for both csv file and kml file ... when i tried uploading the .csv file to the link in this thread it showed nothing  - I uploaded the screen shot of that also ...   Thanks

2018-6-9
Use props
G_Sig
Captain
Iceland

MiByrd Posted at 2018-6-9 11:04
Thanks ... I did however, supply a link to AirData in my opening thread - which has the link for both csv file and kml file ... when i tried uploading the .csv file to the link in this thread it showed nothing  - I uploaded the screen shot of that also ...   Thanks

https://app.airdata.com/ main?share=jqadgX

That csv file is not the original file. You just link to KLM and CSV  not Original which is the one to use.
You have to download it from Airdata  and then upload it to Phantomhelp.
2018-6-9
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

G_Sig Posted at 2018-6-9 11:35
That csv file is not the original file. You just link to KLM and CSV  not Original which is the one to use.
You have to download it from Airdata  and then upload it to Phantomhelp.

If you check post #22, I have analysed his flight record and provided an interpretation of what it showed.
2018-6-9
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules