Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
A deafening roar
711 4 2018-5-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ghostrdr
First Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

About to take off this morning, about 9am, for a short fliight around the neighborhood before it got too hot. I would normally climb to 150' to get above all the obstacles I would encounter. All of a sudden came this roar that scared the s@%t out of me. I barely had time to look up when two A-10's appeared directly overhead, then disappeared, at maybe 300 feet, if that. I guessed that they had done a flyover at one of the local Memorial Day parades and were on their way back to Selfridge AFB. I was so relieved that I was doing my pre flight because if I had gone up 30 seconds earlier, the turbulence would have surely destroyed my Mavic... or worse. There was absolutely no time to react. I am not in a NFZ and the airbase is 30 miles away. Happy Memorial Day!  
2018-5-28
Use props
chiplifter
Captain
Flight distance : 745180 ft
Netherlands

Scary sh*t
2018-5-28
Use props
MaineMavick
Second Officer
Flight distance : 169524 ft

Ask not for who the a-10 BRRRTs for, it BRRRRTs for thee.
2018-5-28
Use props
QuadKid
Captain
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Aaaah Yes, A-10 WartHog / Tank Killer, spent many an hour working on them back in the late sixties. Awesome bird, 2X redundant. Are you close to the airstrip that the show took place at? There may have been a (TFR) Temporary Flight Restriction issued prior to and after the event.

You can always check them here,    http://tfr.faa.gov/tfr2/list.html    Select a Center/City, Select State, Select All NOTAMS
2018-5-28
Use props
ghostrdr
First Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

Don't think it was an airshow, more than likely a parade.  I watched the news at noon and there was a parade in a large suburb of Detroit about 25 miles away so I suspect there was a flyover there. I didn't get any warnings from the app and to be honest. I didn't check. It just didn't occur to me. It would have been a hell of a video had I launched a minute earlier and been set up properly. I thought there was a minimum altitude those guys had to fly at but I suppose they deserve their fun. What can you do when something is moving that fast? They came and went before I realized what was happening.
2018-5-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules