1866 9 2018-5-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jake daniel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 136312 ft
Mauritius

Hi all,

looking for advice concerning my two mavic batteries, they both get inflated and when flying they get more inflated as they get hotter. No error from app, no drop when flying, but it really looking not safe to fly with (see pic). Why does this happen? Why there is no advice from dji on this?
mavic battery inflated.jpg
2018-5-28
Use props
MaineMavick
lvl.4
Flight distance : 169524 ft

All batteries will do this. You're holding some serious charge in a Mavic battery. Storage discipline is vital to such things. Cannot be left in cars or hot spots.
2018-5-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Good day. I am sorry that you are having problems with your DJI Mavic batteries. This issue will happen if the battery is left charging even though it is already fully charge. The battery will inflate because of heat. It is best that we do not use these batteries to your Mavic because it might inflate and damage the drone itself. Thank you.
2018-5-28
Use props
ghostrdr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-5-28 12:21
Good day. I am sorry that you are having problems with your DJI Mavic batteries. This issue will happen if the battery is left charging even though it is already full charge. The battery will inflate because of heat. It is best that we do not use these batteries to your Mavic because it might inflate and damage the drone itself. Thank you.

I thought these batteries were smart enough to stop charging when fully charged.
2018-5-28
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Stop flying with both batteries, and replace both batteries.  Inflated batteries are sign of failure or worse.
2018-5-28
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

ghostrdr Posted at 2018-5-28 15:31
I thought these batteries were smart enough to stop charging when fully charged.

Evidently some of batteries are slow; as in IQ challenged.

2018-5-28
Use props
jake daniel
lvl.2
Mauritius

OK, for sure my mistake was to keep the battery whole day and practically every day in car, and I living in Mauritius where it is hot in summer. I found that frequent sport mode also can cause this and its my case as i fly in windy condition sometimes. Is it true?

Now how to destroy these batteries before throwing it to dustbin, one week salt water, sea water?
2018-5-29
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

jake daniel Posted at 2018-5-29 00:27
OK, for sure my mistake was to keep the battery whole day and practically every day in car, and I living in Mauritius where it is hot in summer. I found that frequent sport mode also can cause this and its my case as i fly in windy condition sometimes. Is it true?

Now how to destroy these batteries before throwing it to dustbin, one week salt water, sea water?

Sea water would be the best as it has many minerals/metals dissolved in it, these are the elements that are attracted to the connection and will slowly discharge/short out the battery. Just adding salt to water will do it but will take much longer.

And yes the more aggressive you fly the drone the more draw (Amps) are required thus causing the battery to overheat, if the swelling goes down when the battery has cooled off then nothing to worry about, if it continues to remain swelled up then there is an issue with the cells.

As afr as keeping batteries in your car, I do it all the time, interior car temperatures here in Florida (Summer Time) can easily reach 130-140°F, just keep out of direct sunlight. I have not had any issues due to that. IMO I feel that flying style (Sport) often has caused this issue for you.
2018-5-29
Use props
jake daniel
lvl.2
Mauritius

QuadKid Posted at 2018-5-29 02:01
Sea water would be the best as it has many minerals/metals dissolved in it, these are the elements that are attracted to the connection and will slowly discharge/short out the battery. Just adding salt to water will do it but will take much longer.

And yes the more aggressive you fly the drone the more draw (Amps) are required thus causing the battery to overheat, if the swelling goes down when the battery has cooled off then nothing to worry about, if it continues to remain swelled up then there is an issue with the cells.

Thank you for the advice, will definitively be more careful with the batteries. I think this issue with inflated batteries should be raised with more importance, i found quite several case like this on the net and am just wondering how other are concern about security, am just wondering how many are travelling with those kind of batteries in planes. i think DJI should raise seriously this issue to pilots.
2018-5-30
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10321657 ft
Canada

Thanks for that info
2018-5-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules