How many of us monitor the sun?
1225 12 2015-5-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
theparrotsketch
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Knowing how coronal ejections can cause gps dropouts, do many of you use a sun monitoring app or such? I always check (using a free app, Magnetology) what disruption may affect my flight that day, favouring close by flights when I know the levels may be high. Anything above a Kp index of 5 makes me think twice about even flying that day. Do you check? I can't help but wonder if the dreaded gps drop may be linked to what's going on higher up as it were!
2015-5-13
Use props
FrostyThe2nd
lvl.2

United States

I check using the Hover app.   It's a must since it wasn't long ago when the Kp index was 8 or 9 and the guys at the flying field had weird things going on with their gps lock.  
2015-5-13
Use props
theparrotsketch
lvl.2

United Kingdom

FrostyThe2nd Posted at 2015-5-14 04:56
I check using the Hover app.   It's a must since it wasn't long ago when the Kp index was 8 or 9 and ...

Crikey!( I've never seen it as high as that, that'd be a Hubsan day for me then!!
2015-5-13
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

have a look at this site.  it provides all the info you need sats, kp , wind etc.

http://www.uavforecast.com
2015-5-13
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.3

Canada

I use it as part of my Pre Flight Checklist for every flight...There is an old saying that RF is 2/3rds Science and 1/3rd voodoo...I cant help but think that Solar events related to the Earths Magnetic Field may have an effect...Back when the KP was up in the 8 to 9 range (Storming) is when I bought my Inspire and I was also having a lot of GPS dropout issues...I know part of it was related to DJI software issues. But...NOAA doesn't monitor and warn about this stuff for no reason...Its also around the time there was a run on props...Maybe circumstantial ? ...Maybe not ?....Its also interesting that now with the new firmware dealing with the GPS Dropout issues also reduced the channels from 32 down to 8 ...ever since the KP has been below 5 I haven't had a single dropout...Coincidence ?
2015-5-13
Use props
Shuffle
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Always make sure you learn to fly in manual mode in case of such instances where you lose GPS signal
2015-5-13
Use props
zackski
lvl.2

United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-5-14 05:51
have a look at this site.  it provides all the info you need sats, kp , wind etc.

http://www.uavfo ...

Good info, thanks GB
2015-5-13
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

I use an app called Suntraker on my phone when want to go out. TONS of info including lots of photography friendly facts for times of day and certain lighting effects depending on the weather etc.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-u ... c-92df-82adc23d1597

It is also available for IOS and Android. Calculates sun position, also notable times for the Golden hour and more.  LOVE IT and it has come in quite handy for me.
2015-5-13
Use props
tpallai
lvl.4

United States

What would you say the max Kp to fly safely is? And what is your max that you fly in?
2015-5-13
Use props
alexmarnas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 606237 ft
France

In my opinion, It is nice to know, and it does not cost anything to have a look from time to time.
But most modern airplanes fly 99% of the time using GPS signal, and after about a decade flying commercially this type of airplane, checking the RAIM before any gps approaches, around the world. I have never seen a failed RAIM check, so I would not worry too much.

Happy landings
2015-5-13
Use props
theparrotsketch
lvl.2

United Kingdom

tpallai Posted at 2015-5-14 11:13
What would you say the max Kp to fly safely is? And what is your max that you fly in?

I'm cautious anywhere above 4, would think twice about flying at 6 and above!
2015-5-13
Use props
theparrotsketch
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Wildcat Willie Posted at 2015-5-14 05:55
I use it as part of my Pre Flight Checklist for every flight...There is an old saying that RF is 2/3 ...

Preflight for me every time, and yes, it could well be circumstantial, but I've never had a drop out yet, only flying on low index days
2015-5-13
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

You might also want to check out this one from trimble who manufacture survey equipment:

http://www.trimble.com/gnssplanningonline/#/NumSats
2015-5-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules