Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Teaching The Wife To Fly DJI SPARK | First Flight
1214 38 2018-5-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RGMGFitness
Captain
Flight distance : 233757 ft
  • >>>
United States

We'll, I finally did it.  I took the wife out and she flew the DJI SPARK for the first time.  Now, let's be honest...how many of you have taught your wife's, girfriends, or significant other to fly your drone(s)?   

2018-5-28
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
Flight distance : 84805085 ft
  • >>>

There are some things of a man you never mess with: his car, his hair, and his drone.  
2018-5-28
Use props
RGMGFitness
Captain
  • >>>
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-5-28 16:36
There are some things of a man you never mess with: his car, his hair, and his drone.

Hah!  Yeah, but she knows I have the Mavic Air too.  
2018-5-28
Use props
dudez7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 741778 ft
Singapore

Cool wife u have there, mine is the usual "have you done yet" looks ....  

2018-5-28
Use props
Joller79 DK
First Officer
Flight distance : 26447 ft
Denmark

My missed couldn .t care less for my rc toys... 4 1:10 cars.. 3 parrot bebops2. 3 dji sparks..and 4-5 other toy grade drones...she be like..why should I fly that??
2018-5-28
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5910961 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

I would never teach .....
Now you need a second Spark! ;-)
2018-5-28
Use props
Antipaxi
First Officer

Romania

You're a very charismatic couple.

I tought my wife to fly the Spark the day she gave it to me, as a gift. Well, we kind of learned together. She's a little reluctant to fly the second Spark now, after my first flew away. She never clearly said it but I think she blamed me for the loss of the Spark, I kind of blamed myself too, so we rested easy after DJI said it wasn't my fault. Now she would be a spectator rather then a pilot, as I think she'd be afraid to broke my heart if something happened to the second AC. Whenever we'll get the second (now third, after losing one and buying another) Spark, as it is still in a storage facility in Portland, I think we'll fly both our ACs together. To tell you the truth I can't wait for that to happen, she proved to be a much safer and attentive pilot than me, even though she's technologically illiterate.  
2018-5-28
Use props
Flighty
Captain
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Croatia

my wife is happy for me to fly the drone, but she is not interested to learn,,,
2018-5-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very much fun to watch!
2018-5-28
Use props
Gunship9
Captain
United States

Yes, I had her fly the drone.  She was supposed to capture airborne footage of my RC airplane flying around the Spark.  She turned off the video recording to save video, then flew it to a good position to get the shots.  I flew close but not too close to the Spark for 10 minutes while she monitored the video feed for how it looked.  

Of course, she never turned back on the video record button.  She has no interest in flying it though she will if I ever need her to again.  
2018-5-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good for her    
2018-5-29
Use props
Duncdude
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18491 ft
United Kingdom

Me: I think i 'll go and take the spark out for some more practice flights.
Her: Ok, i'll see you later then.

Haven't got her to show too much interest yet.....
2018-5-29
Use props
RGMGFitness
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-5-28 22:46
Yes, I had her fly the drone.  She was supposed to capture airborne footage of my RC airplane flying around the Spark.  She turned off the video recording to save video, then flew it to a good position to get the shots.  I flew close but not too close to the Spark for 10 minutes while she monitored the video feed for how it looked.  

Of course, she never turned back on the video record button.  She has no interest in flying it though she will if I ever need her to again.

LOL.....Yeah, I'm lucky, my wife wants to learn to fly the SPARK.  
2018-5-29
Use props
RGMGFitness
Captain
  • >>>
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-5-28 21:17
I would never teach .....
Now you need a second Spark! ;-)

Your probably right!  
2018-5-29
Use props
Col20H
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1998 ft
United Kingdom

Very cool thank you .

You do know i guess that you have your antenna in the wrong direction on the RC   . should be out flat .   
2018-5-29
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>

You're a braver man than me   Let's see a video now of you in her domain - learning to use the vacuum cleaner, washing machine................ Haha. Thanks for the share.
2018-5-29
Use props
adra2895
Captain
Flight distance : 24131 ft
Costa Rica

Blériot53 Posted at 2018-5-29 04:11
You're a braver man than me   Let's see a video now of you in her domain - learning to use the vacuum cleaner, washing machine................ Haha. Thanks for the share.

Dude, that's kind of male chauvinist. Cleaning is not women's territory just because they're women.
2018-5-29
Use props
simpledrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 539915 ft
United States

My wife doesn't seem to interested in flying but she likes to come along and help spot when needed. We are at the point now though where she will say where are you flying tonight after work? Even on days I may not plan on flying.  
2018-5-29
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

2018-5-29
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Blériot53 Posted at 2018-5-29 04:11
You're a braver man than me   Let's see a video now of you in her domain - learning to use the vacuum cleaner, washing machine................ Haha. Thanks for the share.

Someone has to fill in when the wife wanna have some dronie time, now!
2018-5-29
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-5-29 06:34
Someone has to fill in when the wife wanna have some dronie time, now!

I'm guessing what's on her Christmas wish list now, too
2018-5-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Good day. Great job. Welcome to the DJI drone world.
2018-5-29
Use props
AC5FF
Second Officer
Flight distance : 65194 ft
United States

I get the typical 'eye roll' every time she sees me take my Spark out for a flight.  She could not be less interested in it.
I'm dreading our upcoming vacation. I hope to get some shots with the Spark while out in the mountains.  Been practicing a lot lately just to get the hang of the Spark since I'm pretty new to non-toy drones.  I can hear her now - "You're not taking that thing with us!"

ALTHOUGH.... I did get a good shot of her and the neighbor in the pool yesterday.  They both 'flashed' me as I was hovering to take a few photos.
2018-5-29
Use props
spark29
Second Officer
Flight distance : 90748 ft
Denmark

Photoes?
2018-5-29
Use props
RGMGFitness
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Col20H Posted at 2018-5-29 03:57
Very cool thank you .

You do know i guess that you have your antenna in the wrong direction on the RC   . should be out flat .

FYI:  Check out the SPARK user manual (page 38) regarding optimal antenna positions.  You don't want to point the tips at the SPARK.  The pictures in the manual will give you a slightly better understand but there are some videos on this as well on YouTube.   

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... 0Manual%20V1.6-.pdf

2018-5-29
Use props
RGMGFitness
Captain
  • >>>
United States

simpledrone Posted at 2018-5-29 05:51
My wife doesn't seem to interested in flying but she likes to come along and help spot when needed. We are at the point now though where she will say where are you flying tonight after work? Even on days I may not plan on flying.

Nice!  At least she's supportive of your hobbies.  
2018-5-29
Use props
RGMGFitness
Captain
  • >>>
United States

AC5FF Posted at 2018-5-29 09:00
I get the typical 'eye roll' every time she sees me take my Spark out for a flight.  She could not be less interested in it.
I'm dreading our upcoming vacation. I hope to get some shots with the Spark while out in the mountains.  Been practicing a lot lately just to get the hang of the Spark since I'm pretty new to non-toy drones.  I can hear her now - "You're not taking that thing with us!"

I'm cracking up!  My wife knew nothing was going to prevent me from taking my drone(s) on vacation with us.  Wasn't even up for discussion.

That being said, this is also my 2nd wife.  We'll just say the first one just didn't understand me.  Live and Learn....   
2018-5-29
Use props
wobbles
Captain
Flight distance : 547438 ft
  • >>>

taught my 8 yr old grandson
2018-5-29
Use props
FXF
lvl.4
Flight distance : 68123 ft

Austria

very sympathic both of you - I liked this video very much - perhaps one time my wife will be interested too
2018-5-29
Use props
RGMGFitness
Captain
  • >>>
United States

wobbles Posted at 2018-5-29 10:52
taught my 8 yr old grandson https://youtu.be/pfh_0GS6eRo

Very cool!  
2018-5-29
Use props
DMX_MT
Captain
Malta

Very Nice Video Buddy !

Really enjoyed seeing both of you enjoy your Free Time ! Video was really entertaining as both of you are Really Nice People.

Keep it up Buddy !

2018-5-29
Use props
wobbles
Captain
Flight distance : 547438 ft
  • >>>

great vid, looks like you both had a laugh and your wife was smiling all the time ..thats what flying is all about to me , having fun
2018-5-29
Use props
RGMGFitness
Captain
  • >>>
United States

wobbles Posted at 2018-5-29 11:35
great vid, looks like you both had a laugh and your wife was smiling all the time ..thats what flying is all about to me , having fun

Yeah, she's a great women!  
2018-5-29
Use props
RGMGFitness
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-5-29 11:31
Very Nice Video Buddy !

Really enjoyed seeing both of you enjoy your Free Time ! Video was really entertaining as both of you are Really Nice People.

I appreciate that...thank you!  
2018-5-29
Use props
Col20H
lvl.2
United Kingdom

RGMGFitness Posted at 2018-5-29 10:30
FYI:  Check out the SPARK user manual (page 38) regarding optimal antenna positions.  You don't want to point the tips at the SPARK.  The pictures in the manual will give you a slightly better understand but there are some videos on this as well on YouTube.   

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Spark/Spark%20User%20Manual%20V1.6-.pdf

Thank you  for that .

Learn something new every day   .    
2018-5-29
Use props
Oldmaninwva
First Officer
Flight distance : 9750253 ft
United States

Col20H Posted at 2018-5-29 13:15
Thank you  for that .

Learn something new every day   .

Perpendicular to the craft is always the best...  Now... that being said about the antenna orientation, should you only want to go straight up overhead of your position to the safe altitude of 400 ft and NOT fly around then it would probably be better to lay your antenna out flat parallel with the ground.
2018-5-29
Use props
Col20H
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Oldmaninwva Posted at 2018-5-29 15:48
Perpendicular to the craft is always the best...  Now... that being said about the antenna orientation, should you only want to go straight up overhead of your position to the safe altitude of 400 ft and NOT fly around then it would probably be better to lay your antenna out flat parallel with the ground.

Many thanks  for the info .
I don't know why i thought  they should be out flat always ...  i think i paid too much attention to a video on Youtube some time ago.   Anyway ,  always happy to be corrected and  learn ,   as i love flying my spark .   As you can see  in my "flight distance" i haven't dared venture too far yet  ,  good job i didn't !!    lol  
2018-5-30
Use props
Sparky_17
Captain
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

well done .. congrats on getting your wife interested in even trying it.  Mine wont have anything to do with it.
2018-5-30
Use props
RGMGFitness
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Sparky_17 Posted at 2018-5-30 03:56
well done .. congrats on getting your wife interested in even trying it.  Mine wont have anything to do with it.

Yep, I'm lucky she's even interested in learning.  
2018-5-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules