Phantom 4 pro video problems
2479 35 2018-5-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Plumberjohn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 742841 ft
United Kingdom

Can anyone help with this problem? Watch around the windows. Sometimes that 'tearing' goes right across
half of the screen. Occasionally there's freezing for a second or so too.
It seemed to be dark areas at first but it's getting worse.
Shooting in 4K, 2.7K or 1080P, I get the same thing.
Someone suggested the SD card but I was using U3 64GB and I bought
another - also U3 64GB but still the same.

Thanks.

2018-5-29
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Well that looks to me like your using the cache file stored  or recorded on your device and not the high res video from the sd card.
Are you absolutly certain you are working with the image stored on the sd card and not the cache file from your phone/tablet?
2018-5-29
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

If you are definatly using sd card copy then you are probably using an inferior type card sandisk extreme is the most common card used for this type or should i say this resolution of video.
There are a few others on the market that perform just as good but the sandisk extreme can be more readily avialable.
2018-5-29
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Sorry for the trouble. May I know what exactly brand name of the SD cards that you were using? At the same time have you tried resetting the camera settings? If not, kindly do so. Also, please check the image for the supported SD cards:

2018-5-29
Use props
Plumberjohn
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-5-29 08:40
Sorry for the trouble. May I know what exactly brand name of the SD cards that you were using? At the same time have you tried resetting the camera settings? If not, kindly do so. Also, please check the image for the supported SD cards:

[view_image]

Hi DJI Natalia,
Thank you for the reply.
This is the SD card I'm currently using. I haven't tried resetting the camera settings yet.
I'll try that next and post back.
2018-5-29
Use props
Plumberjohn
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-5-29 03:14
Well that looks to me like your using the cache file stored  or recorded on your device and not the high res video from the sd card.
Are you absolutly certain you are working with the image stored on the sd card and not the cache file from your phone/tablet?

Hi Hellsgate,

Thank you for the reply,
Definitely not using the cache, the SD card is removed from the Phantom and put in a USB 3.0 card reader when I upload to my PC for editing.I posted a pic of the SD card.

2018-5-29
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft

Plumberjohn Posted at 2018-5-29 09:57
Hi Hellsgate,

Thank you for the reply,

Have you had any accidents with your P4Pro or any incidents affecting the camera/ribbon?
2018-5-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

It will not be a problem with the SD card, as the card cannot have any effect on the quality of the recording. It is a digital recording process and it either records or not. Nor can it introduce any artifacts.

To help diagnose this problem, can you please upload a short section like that to Dropbox, and then post a link to it, but do not perform any editing on the file.

2018-5-29
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Plumberjohn Posted at 2018-5-29 09:57
Hi Hellsgate,

Thank you for the reply,

Be aware that you'll find two versions on the SD one of them being low resolution and very compressed, it look like that is the versions you're using.
The right versions is found in /DCIM/10xMEDIA/ and the lowres in /MISC/THM/10x/ x being a number usually 0.
If you use a program to automatic sync from the card it might end up with the wrong version as it would be found last when traversing the card for media files.
2018-5-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

KedDK Posted at 2018-5-29 22:37
Be aware that you'll find two versions on the SD one of them being low resolution and very compressed, it look like that is the versions you're using.
The right versions is found in /DCIM/10xMEDIA/ and the lowres in /MISC/THM/10x/ x being a number usually 0.
If you use a program to automatic sync from the card it might end up with the wrong version as it would be found last when traversing the card for media files.

' it look like that is the versions you're using.'

Yes, except the top resolution copy on his Youtube clip is 4K, and the thumbnails are not that high. I suspect something to do with the editing.
2018-5-29
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

Geebax Posted at 2018-5-29 22:40
' it look like that is the versions you're using.'

Yes, except the top resolution copy on his Youtube clip is 4K, and the thumbnails are not that high. I suspect something to do with the editing.

You're right the lowres would be 1280x720 @ ~2Mbps.
Possibly my slow connection that does i see a 720p version in the YT clip from #1, but look exactly like the secondary files to me.

If the files are the right then a slow format of the SD in the computer would be next attempt was it me. exFAT (due 64GB) 32k allocation unit size followed by a format in AC. But it would take quite some time.

Edit: The above asuming that a format in AC has already been tried without any change (it is not mentioned).

2018-5-29
Use props
Plumberjohn
lvl.2
United Kingdom

KedDK Posted at 2018-5-29 22:59
You're right the lowres would be 1280x720 @ ~2Mbps.
Possibly my slow connection that does i see a 720p version in the YT clip from #1, but look exactly like the secondary files to me.

Thanks again for staying with this. I'm definitely using the high resolution files from the card (I never really looked at the  low res files).  I've reset the camera now and I'll give that a try. I always format the card after use (quick format) but never slow and never in the Phantom so I'll try that too. Naturally the weather is horrible so I might be a day or two before I post back.
2018-5-30
Use props
Plumberjohn
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Jenee 2 Posted at 2018-5-29 22:08
Have you had any accidents with your P4Pro or any incidents affecting the camera/ribbon?

Hi Jenee,
I have had the drone slip off the car bonnet (hood) which loosened a leg a bit but no damage to the camera or ribbon, the artifacts started before that though anyway.
2018-5-30
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

Plumberjohn Posted at 2018-5-30 01:26
Thanks again for staying with this. I'm definitely using the high resolution files from the card (I never really looked at the  low res files).  I've reset the camera now and I'll give that a try. I always format the card after use (quick format) but never slow and never in the Phantom so I'll try that too. Naturally the weather is horrible so I might be a day or two before I post back.

You should always format in the Phantom to make sure it get the filesystem made the way it want it, could be part of the trouble when not.
2018-5-30
Use props
Plumberjohn
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2018-5-29 22:28
It will not be a problem with the SD card, as the card cannot have any effect on the quality of the recording. It is a digital recording process and it either records or not. Nor can it introduce any artifacts.

To help diagnose this problem, can you please upload a short section like that to Dropbox, and then post a link to it, but do not perform any editing on the file.

I don't have dropbox but here's another unedited example temporarily uploaded to Youtube. You can see that the video freezes and a portion of it is lost as the Phantom turns. The artifacts are pretty clear after that. It's not the editing suite (Cyberlink Powerdirector 16.0), it's exactly the same when viewing the raw footage in Movieplayer before any editing.

2018-5-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Plumberjohn Posted at 2018-5-30 01:55
I don't have dropbox but here's another unedited example temporarily uploaded to Youtube. You can see that the video freezes and a portion of it is lost as the Phantom turns. The artifacts are pretty clear after that. It's not the editing suite (Cyberlink Powerdirector 16.0), it's exactly the same when viewing the raw footage in Movieplayer before any editing.

That video is unavailable. But I don't want to look at a video uploaded to YouTube, as it can alter the video completely. This is why we use Dropbox on here, it simply allows you to post an untouched original file. If you don't want to join Dropbox then I cannot help you further. For the purpose of diagnosing this problem, I need to see the camera original file.
2018-5-30
Use props
Plumberjohn
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2018-5-30 02:01
That video is unavailable. But I don't want to look at a video uploaded to YouTube, as it can alter the video completely. This is why we use Dropbox on here, it simply allows you to post an untouched original file. If you don't want to join Dropbox then I cannot help you further. For the purpose of diagnosing this problem, I need to see the camera original file.

Not sure what the difference is visually, but I installed dropbox anyway so, here you go :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g0jaq3irxedj7yj/Sample.mp4?dl=0
2018-5-30
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

I'd still put my money into that this one way or the other is related to the card, either it being the filesystem format or defect/false. that recording only has half the data stream amount it should have as i see it. I made a edit of #11 as i noticed that also the P4P use a 32K unit on both the 16 and 32GB cards where i am sure i have seen it using 16K sometimes before.

The Sandisk Extreme itself should be alright, a 16GB was delivered with my P4P and i am using 32GB versions now without issues as long i make sure they don't run out of space.
2018-5-30
Use props
Plumberjohn
lvl.2
United Kingdom

KedDK Posted at 2018-5-30 05:00
I'd still put my money into that this one way or the other is related to the card, either it being the filesystem format or defect/false. that recording only has half the data stream amount it should have as i see it. I made a edit of #11 as i noticed that also the P4P use a 32K unit on both the 16 and 32GB cards where i am sure i have seen it using 16K sometimes before.

The Sandisk Extreme itself should be alright, a 16GB was delivered with my P4P and i am using 32GB versions now without issues as long i make sure they don't run out of space.

Thanks, I've ordered a Sandisk extreme pro 32GB, which will be the third I've tried - although the other two are 64GB (both sandisk). I've still got the 16GB one that came with the P4P - I can't remember if I had the same problem with that one so I'll try that too.
2018-5-30
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

Plumberjohn Posted at 2018-5-30 09:23
Thanks, I've ordered a Sandisk extreme pro 32GB, which will be the third I've tried - although the other two are 64GB (both sandisk). I've still got the 16GB one that came with the P4P - I can't remember if I had the same problem with that one so I'll try that too.

If not done in the meantime, why not try a format in the AC as it is supposed to be done?
Looking forward to hear what you find out, also if Geebax find anything in the posted shot that make sense.
2018-5-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

KedDK Posted at 2018-5-30 14:42
If not done in the meantime, why not try a format in the AC as it is supposed to be done?
Looking forward to hear what you find out, also if Geebax find anything in the posted shot that make sense.

I found the same as you, the bit rate is only 50 Mb/s, whereas 4K straight from the camera should be 100 Mb/s. That alone seems to suggest that this is not original camera footage, that it has been edited in some way.
2018-5-30
Use props
Plumberjohn
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2018-5-30 15:36
I found the same as you, the bit rate is only 50 Mb/s, whereas 4K straight from the camera should be 100 Mb/s. That alone seems to suggest that this is not original camera footage, that it has been edited in some way.

Ah, I think I understand what I did wrong now. I’ll make a fresh upload to Dropbox.
2018-5-30
Use props
Plumberjohn
lvl.2
United Kingdom

KedDK Posted at 2018-5-30 14:42

Yes, I’ll do that from now on. Thank you.
2018-5-30
Use props
Plumberjohn
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2018-5-30 15:36
I found the same as you, the bit rate is only 50 Mb/s, whereas 4K straight from the camera should be 100 Mb/s. That alone seems to suggest that this is not original camera footage, that it has been edited in some way.

Is this one ok?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z6g6kwn4ulhq84t/trim.mp4?dl=0

2018-5-31
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Plumberjohn Posted at 2018-5-31 03:34
Is this one ok?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z6g6kwn4ulhq84t/trim.mp4?dl=0

No, it appears you have edited that footage in some way, probably with a Sony editor (according to the file infor). It is only 41 Mb/s. It needs to be original footage, not edited in any way.
2018-5-31
Use props
Plumberjohn
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2018-5-31 16:30
No, it appears you have edited that footage in some way, probably with a Sony editor (according to the file infor). It is only 41 Mb/s. It needs to be original footage, not edited in any way.

Thank you so much for staying with this - I think I'd have shot myself!
I've searched out a short video that hasn't been trimmed or edited, hopefully  this will be what you're asking for.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wo7q2eiicspinxp/DJI_0299.MP4?dl=0
2018-6-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Plumberjohn Posted at 2018-6-1 08:28
Thank you so much for staying with this - I think I'd have shot myself!
I've searched out a short video that hasn't been trimmed or edited, hopefully  this will be what you're asking for.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wo7q2eiicspinxp/DJI_0299.MP4?dl=0

OK, I was able to download that clip of the field of grass and dandelions. It plays just fine on my editing computer under VLC Player (Latest) and also in Da Vinci Resolve 14. But it does demand resources. I would say the camera is fine and it is saving it quite successfully to the SD card, but your computer may not have enough horsepower to handle it. I am guessing that you are using one of the Sony Editors?
2018-6-1
Use props
Plumberjohn
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2018-6-1 16:23
OK, I was able to download that clip of the field of grass and dandelions. It plays just fine on my editing computer under VLC Player (Latest) and also in Da Vinci Resolve 14. But it does demand resources. I would say the camera is fine and it is saving it quite successfully to the SD card, but your computer may not have enough horsepower to handle it. I am guessing that you are using one of the Sony Editors?

Well that's been an education! I can see now why you were so persistent in asking for unedited footage. It's edited in Cyberlink Powerdirector 16.0.  The footage I uploaded to Dropbox was awful on my PC and in Movie player or when I edit in Powerdirector or the Youtube video, yet it looks perfectly fine when I replayed the Dropbox upload.
I'm surprised my PC isn't up to the job, the spec is:-
Win 10
Intel i7 4790K (4gHz).
1TB SSD
16gb Ram
Maybe I just need to refresh windows?
2018-6-2
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Plumberjohn Posted at 2018-6-2 05:40
Well that's been an education! I can see now why you were so persistent in asking for unedited footage. It's edited in Cyberlink Powerdirector 16.0.  The footage I uploaded to Dropbox was awful on my PC and in Movie player or when I edit in Powerdirector or the Youtube video, yet it looks perfectly fine when I replayed the Dropbox upload.
I'm surprised my PC isn't up to the job, the spec is:-
Win 10

That PC spec should be OK, although it would benefit from having a good graphics card to handle the video. Interesting about Cyberlink, it must be using a Sony codec as the edited sections are signed with one.
2018-6-2
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have a cheap i5 with 8gb ram lappy and its  able to watch 4k but certainly not work with 4k, that PC spec of yours should be more than adequate, there is  bottle neck somewhere if you are struggling to work with 4k, i think perhaps its the software encoder??? Can you work with proxies with Cyberlink, just looked, yes, its possible but you shouldnt have to with that spec.

@ Geebax, would he benefit from installing K-Lite Codec pack do you think?
2018-6-2
Use props
Plumberjohn
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2018-6-2 15:02
That PC spec should be OK, although it would benefit from having a good graphics card to handle the video. Interesting about Cyberlink, it must be using a Sony codec as the edited sections are signed with one.

Thank you very much.  I forgot to mention in my PC spec that there is a GTX 780 also installed.
Shortly after reading your last message I had a major pc problem and was unable to log in to Win 10 after it stuck on the 'Welcome' screen. Having spent hours and hours watching tutorials and trying to get things up and running (including reinstalling Win 10) I've had to start again with a reinstall of Win 7.
After all that Media player wouldn't even play the MP4 files.
I have installed the K-Lite codec pack as suggested by Bashy (thank you) and Media Player can now play the files but the problem persists in unedited footage (I know what that is now ).
I suppose I'll have to buy a license for Win 10 now as it's no longer free and I haven't reinstalled Cyberlink yet.
Even worse.... My P4P dropped out of the sky (loose battery I think) and broke it's landing gear, so that's away being repaired.  Yesterday, while painting the house I put a foot through the roofing tiles, so hopefully that's the three!

2018-6-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Bashy Posted at 2018-6-2 19:36
I have a cheap i5 with 8gb ram lappy and its  able to watch 4k but certainly not work with 4k, that PC spec of yours should be more than adequate, there is  bottle neck somewhere if you are struggling to work with 4k, i think perhaps its the software encoder??? Can you work with proxies with Cyberlink, just looked, yes, its possible but you shouldnt have to with that spec.

@ Geebax, would he benefit from installing K-Lite Codec pack do you think?

I am not a fan of the K-Lite codec pack, it supplants other, better codecs.
2018-6-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Plumberjohn Posted at 2018-6-6 06:07
Thank you very much.  I forgot to mention in my PC spec that there is a GTX 780 also installed.
Shortly after reading your last message I had a major pc problem and was unable to log in to Win 10 after it stuck on the 'Welcome' screen. Having spent hours and hours watching tutorials and trying to get things up and running (including reinstalling Win 10) I've had to start again with a reinstall of Win 7.
After all that Media player wouldn't even play the MP4 files.

Wow, you better stay in bed for the next few days. Rather than Media Player, you might try the excellent and free VLCPlayer.

2018-6-6
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2018-6-6 15:03
I am not a fan of the K-Lite codec pack, it supplants other, better codecs.

Such as?

Whenever have a new machine or formatted and installed from scratch and i have come across a movie that wont play, i have installed the k-lite and had no issues since and i watch many, many movies and tv series that i have downloaded. I have always used k-lite and never had an issue with premier, but, if you can advise on another codec pack that covers just about any video codec there is then i would be happy to try it
2018-6-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Bashy Posted at 2018-6-6 19:14
Such as?

Whenever have a new machine or formatted and installed from scratch and i have come across a movie that wont play, i have installed the k-lite and had no issues since and i watch many, many movies and tv series that i have downloaded. I have always used k-lite and never had an issue with premier, but, if you can advise on another codec pack that covers just about any video codec there is then i would be happy to try it

Normally, you should not need other codecs, any editing system or player should (these days) install the codecs it needs anyway. The K-Lite packs came from the early days when the ones supplied with the OS were not very good. Certain editing systems, like the Sony Vegas editor, used to crash if you install the K-Lite packs.
2018-6-6
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am on a windows 10 machine and i needed to install the k-lite codec pack only in feb this year when i got this lappy (second hand), as to why i needed it, i cannot remember but evidently something failed, having just checked, i also downloaded it in feb too, so i didnt just install it for the fun of it. Trying to rack my brain as i type and it hurts lol  I do not use nor even heard of Sony Vegas so i cannot comment but i certainly have not had any issues, only improvements where something wouldnt work and installing the pack got it to work, this time round, i have not used this lappy to watch movies as such, just to check how good a movie is, but i am wondering if i installed the codec so that i could view .mov this time round, i am speculating cause i cannot remember
2018-6-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules