Drone for 4 year old boy?
807 12 2018-5-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
loophole
lvl.1
Flight distance : 38901 ft
United States

Got my spark, my kids love it... now when we ask my son what he wants for his birthday it's always "a drone like daddy's".  So I'm trying to figure out something that is sensible for my boy to fly.  Only thing I see consistently is the eachine e010.  However I'd imagine its going to be a pretty fast drone and that concerns me a bit as far as him having patience and being able to keep control with it.  Are there simpler easier drones out there with the sticks "dumbed" down?  Kind of like tripod mode on the spark.  Trying to find something that has easier rates... but something in a realistic price range too... and not interested in the tello at this point..  $50 or below price point.  If anybody knows of anything different, I'd be happy to hear about it!.
2018-5-29
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Taking the age in account:
Google with "Drone in a ball"
;-)
2018-5-29
Use props
heliman
lvl.4

I vote for a hubsan x4. It does not go fast unless it is in fast mode.
Great for practicing all the way.
2018-5-30
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

Personally, I think he's too young.  Just because the bigger kids can do it, does not mean that he could fly safely.

(p.s. I have 5 grandkids, oldest is 12, none of them are allowed to fly my drones)

Edit:: I gotta say this.  If a child flies a drone into their face or someone elses and takes out an eye or something equally bad, its going to make the news.  Then the sport will become more "dangerous" in the court of public opinion, and governments will crack down.  Some of us live in countries where the rules are already pretty strict.  

I had a call back from my insurance agent today, I had asked what the proposed new drone law (Canadian $100,000 public liability insurance rule) change was going to cost me... he told me that none of the companies in Canada would only issue $100,000, it would be minimum $1,000,000 and therefore the annual premium will be $700... that would be the end of drones for me.  Way too expensive.  ( and he is a drone pilot too! )

So keeping everyone safe, and minimizing bad press is critical to being a drone pilot, unless you live in a country that has really light health and safety regulations....  please consider this and the welfare of your children and those around them.

2018-5-30
Use props
SergioRM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14587 ft
Brazil

Started to teach my 7 years old with a chinese drone (visuo). He is doing fine, and learning very quick.But, my 4 years old, have no patient (yet)... Tryed once (with a Tello), but I have to move their fingers on the sticks.
They have a lot of fun with games, but in the real world, I believe 4 years old will feel boring with the learning curve time ... my 2 cents.
2018-5-30
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Blade Inductrix Ready To Fly ultra micro drone with Safe Technology.  Seems like it hovers somewhat stabily its own, but it is flying in RATE mode.  $50-ish on Amazon.  The blades are ducted and don't seem to be able to easily hurt you.  Four years old would be too young to fly on his own but might do well with close parental supervision.

New ones that bind to the first controller can be had for $40-ish (Bind And Fly), for when the first one is destroyed.
2018-5-30
Use props
Pr1sh
lvl.2

husbans would be good!
but for 4 year boy i think drone can be dangerous!
2018-5-30
Use props
loophole
lvl.1
United States

Northwood Posted at 2018-5-30 09:26
Personally, I think he's too young.  Just because the bigger kids can do it, does not mean that he could fly safely.

(p.s. I have 5 grandkids, oldest is 12, none of them are allowed to fly my drones)

I appreciate your concern here.  However I'm a smart intelligent responsible adult and dad who would never ever put any of my family in any sort of danger.  I'm not trying to hook my kid up with anything that could be dangerous in anyway.  He won't be flying outside toward houses or people.  He would fly indoors in an open room only with me supervising him while doing so.  I'm looking for a drone type that has safety measures all around it that would make it as hard as possible to cause damage first to anyone then as well to my house .  Again appreciate your concern but I'm no dummy just giving my kids toys and saying ok see ya later
2018-5-30
Use props
loophole
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for the tips and concern people! I do appreciate all the comments.  Thanks for the drone ideas.  Have something to go off now. Thanks again!
2018-5-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Good day. Thank you for all of the comments.
2018-5-30
Use props
Kaiku
lvl.2

From someone with a lot of experience with the micro quad grade of drones, I really recommend the syma x21. Its main key feature is how easy it is to fly. From my experience, it is like twice as stables as the e010. For a 4-year-old buy the Syma x21 and some extra batteries.
2018-5-30
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

loophole Posted at 2018-5-30 12:06
I appreciate your concern here.  However I'm a smart intelligent responsible adult and dad who would never ever put any of my family in any sort of danger.  I'm not trying to hook my kid up with anything that could be dangerous in anyway.  He won't be flying outside toward houses or people.  He would fly indoors in an open room only with me supervising him while doing so.  I'm looking for a drone type that has safety measures all around it that would make it as hard as possible to cause damage first to anyone then as well to my house  .  Again appreciate your concern but I'm no dummy just giving my kids toys and saying ok see ya later

No wories then, but not all dads are going to be like you, which is why i could not stay silent.  As there are likely thousands of readers here, I hope it helps someone avoid injury, and safeguards our hobby.
2018-5-31
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

When my grandson was 5 he began 'sharing' a Parrot Mambo with me :-) ... It is a VERY stable flyer with altitude stabilization (hovers in place immediately when launched AND when you release the sticks.  Has buttons for flips and turns.  Programmable flight which can be accomplished with SWIFT and a few other block code APPs.  

While originally priced (new) over your $50 budget.  You CAN find new or refurbished close to that  on eBay.  (If you avoid the ones with the attachments, especially).  I've purchase two from TechRabbit.com ( https://www.techrabbit.com/parro ... T-C1&condition=1800 ) and have had zero issues.  (Techrabbit also is an eBay seller.)  Regardless, watch the "what's in the box" before you buy.  If you're lucky you'll find one WITH a remote, otherwise you can use a phone or tablet.  The software is excellent.  Check out some YouTube videos and you'll be convinced.  
2018-6-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules