Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
3-D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-30 13:35
Question:  Did your drone have problems** between time of window smack and firmware upgrade?

**Particularly, kinds of problems you have experienced after firmware upgrade.

yes.  my first experience with the fly crazy at take off was prior to the wall smack.  however, I honestly can't recall if i had the video lag problems prior to the wall smack.
2018-5-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Nikolay S Donev Posted at 2018-5-30 13:31
DJI not confirming that they messed up with testing the new firmware doesn't mean there is no evidence. The forum is full of threads of people complaining about pretty much same issues.  It's just better for marketing not to confirm that the drone can fall midflight and you know it....everyone knows it. I am sorry to say it so directly but someone has to.
I am not hating DJI or something... its just one big BIG issue and nobody seems to give proper f.....k about the end users that are so freaking scared to fly this thing, which by the way is great because it means we HAVE RESPONSIBILITY and not only obey regulations and government policies but think about not harming anyone. Someone else must now take responsibility and at least say - Okay... we did a mistake and we are giving our best to fix it and provide you SEAMLESS experience in the next FW which is coming ---> Exact date. Cuz it has been a month since the update and if those issues that are not so scary and big as you say should have been fixed by now right? I am sure that DJI Engineers are great and probably more than 20 people.
And again I love DJI products, that's why I choose the Air model. I am just being disappointed, that's all.

Do you have an issue, except it sounds like a rant, maybe you can show us all the drones falling from the sky, or maybe just 1 that was directly caused by .400 , from what I hear there are several problems, take the one above look at the videos and tell me the area being flown in is not a hazard for WiFi and plenty of interference, and apart from video above we haven’t seen a whole lot more. But one thing we do know there are many flying their MavAir with none of these problems.
2018-5-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-5-30 14:34
Absolutely. Just returned from another four flights this evening with my MA. Not a single glitch, even my air speed has increased a little.

In my case, I updated Assistant 2 to the latest version 1.2.4 and refreshed my FW .400 on the AC and RC then calibrated EVERYTHING. The yaw glitch I had on take off on Saturday (caused by updating my FW on an out of date version of Assitant 2) has not returned in my past 8 flights. The drone is as steady as a rock and every single command I gave it performs exactly how I expect it to.

The yaw glitch I had on take off on Saturday (caused by updating my FW on an out of date version of Assitant 2) has not returned in my past 8 flights.

That is good news!  

Wondering how critical need is for Assistant-2 to be most recent release - before updating Firmware on drone & RC.
When you say Assistant-2 was out of date - How out of date (as in several revisions or 6-months old) are we talking about?

Making sure problem is isolated to issue with Assistant-2, not being up to date for .400.

Had you previously tried refresing FW to .400?
Had you previously tried calibrating ''Everything''?

2018-5-30
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

And here is my final update with regard to my personal drone problems.

Here are the steps that I have performed today.

Using Assistant 1.2.4 on MacBook Pro
Aircraft:
Reset to factory defaults
Refresh firmware to V01.00.0400

Controller:
Refresh firmware to V01.00.0100

Samsung Note4:
Reset to factory default
install DJI Go 4 4.2.16

After reconnecting RC/App/Aircraft

Visual Calibration with Assistant App

Within Go 4 App:
Calibrate RC Sticks
IMU Calibration
Auto Calibrate Gimbal
Compass Calibration

Then i went for a flight.
The flight went very well.  I was able to take the aircraft out to 3000 ft at 200ft altitude.  I did lose signal then, but the aircraft returned to home.
This has been the best flight since the firmware update.  I did not get to do intensive testing, but preliminary tests show that I may be among the pilots that have clean flying aircrafts.  I'll update this more with my next round of tests.
But this is a very good sign.

Take of was steady. initial flight pattern was clean, and video was clear.  I got a 'Strong Aircraft Interference' when i was ascending, but after that, it went fine.
I'm excited to continue testing tomorrow.

2018-5-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Using Assistant 1.2.4 on MacBook Pro
Aircraft:  Reset to factory defaults
  Refresh firmware to V01.00.0400
If solution is using Assistant 1.2.4 to reflash / refresh / reinstall 0.400 Firmware, it is a double edge sword.  

Good, in that is the solution.
Bad in that Aircraft Firmware: v01.00.0400 was released on Date: 2018.05.02 (May 2nd, 2018), while according to release notes Assistant 1.2.4 was not released till  2018.05.16 (May 16th, 2018) - solution coming two weeks to late.

2018-5-30
Use props
forbsie
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

RobertW Posted at 2018-5-30 06:49
I may be overcautious, but I did not fly my MA since reading about the problems after the update. and I'm not flying it until the problems have been solved.  Call me stupid but I'm like to stay on the safe side.

Hey Robert,

I too was worried about flying my MA since the update, but bit the bullet yesterday and have flown 6 batteries worth since then. I kept it within a couple of hundred metres at all time just in case. Apart from one disconnect of a few seconds it otherwise performed faultlessly, no sign of yaw issue etc. It's strange this problem appears to affecting some users badly, and others not all all. I'd say get out and fly, just be cautious, keep the drone close and be ready to take control if something goes wrong.

Cheers Steve
2018-5-30
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-30 17:38
The yaw glitch I had on take off on Saturday (caused by updating my FW on an out of date version of Assitant 2) has not returned in my past 8 flights.

That is good news!  

Just 1.2.3 to 1.2.4 - one upgrade.
Yes, refreshed the .400FW on 1.2.3 which seemed to cause my yaw glitch
I did calibrate everything before but I think I over did the RC calibration - just a few stick movements in all directions to 100% and finished on the last one. I obviously would have also calibrated the VPS using the older Assistant 2 version before too. Recalibrated that on the new version. Did another four flights yesterday evening - everything, and I do mean every single element of all four flights was perfect. Altitudes of 120mAGL, operating range of 3,600 feet with no drop outs or signal loss, all panos, quick shots etc etc - no yaw glitches at all on every take off. Perfect flights.
2018-5-30
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

3-D Posted at 2018-5-30 18:24

Good to read mate! As for losing singal - be sure to increase your altitude if flying out that far - even a tree between you and the drone can cause obstructions leading to signal issues with any drone. Aim to fly at 300-400' if more than 2,500' away unless you're over the sea with absolutely nothing between the AC and RC.
2018-5-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

3-D Posted at 2018-5-30 18:24

I think you have the right approach, spelling out your difficulties, looking after your craft making sure all is calibrated correctly and working through the problems and helping with the solutions then those on this forum will have better knowledge on how to proceed when issues come up , not just just throw your hat at it and wait around for new firmware to come along.
Good job..
2018-5-31
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-5-30 23:31
Good to read mate! As for losing singal - be sure to increase your altitude if flying out that far - even a tree between you and the drone can cause obstructions leading to signal issues with any drone. Aim to fly at 300-400' if more than 2,500' away unless you're over the sea with absolutely nothing between the AC and RC.

"even a tree between you and the drone can cause obstructions"
And that is why i'm not complaining about 3000 feet.  I will rarely take it up to that distance.  And to be honest, I was about to turn around and bring it back because I had reached the normal limit of how far I will go, especially over the area in which I was flying.  So this to me was a successful test.  I've got more to do, and i'm really hoping that the laggy camera issues have been resolved as well.  I'll be able to test that with a flight this afternoon.

Thanks though.  I don't like being part of the problem, and work very hard to be more a part of the solution than anything.
I still think that there is something wrong with this FW update, but it seems like (in my case) reapplying it a few times clears a lot of that up.
2018-5-31
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-31 00:20
I think you have the right approach, spelling out your difficulties, looking after your craft making sure all is calibrated correctly and working through the problems and helping with the solutions then those on this forum will have better knowledge on how to proceed when issues come up , not just just throw your hat at it and wait around for new firmware to come along.
Good job..

yeah, I've never been really good at sitting and waiting for ANY software/hardware company to release an update.  If this didn't work, there would probably have been a little hacking in the very near future.  I had already warned my wife that there may be another drone purchase, because I was about to go all in...
2018-5-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

3-D Posted at 2018-5-31 04:27
"even a tree between you and the drone can cause obstructions"
And that is why i'm not complaining about 3000 feet.  I will rarely take it up to that distance.  And to be honest, I was about to turn around and bring it back because I had reached the normal limit of how far I will go, especially over the area in which I was flying.  So this to me was a successful test.  I've got more to do, and i'm really hoping that the laggy camera issues have been resolved as well.  I'll be able to test that with a flight this afternoon.

If you're using an Apple device then be sure to upgrade to IOS 11.4 too which came out very recently.  
Laggy cameras will be caused by interference. Take the drone up higher for a clearer all round signal.
2018-5-31
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-5-31 04:30
If you're using an Apple device then be sure to upgrade to IOS 11.4 too which came out very recently.  
Laggy cameras will be caused by interference. Take the drone up higher for a clearer all round signal.

I'm using an Android. (Samsung Note 4)  This, however, is at the bottom of the compatibility scale, and I know i need to upgrade that device.  And the difference in code between .0300 and .0400 could be the difference that puts that device below the line.

I don't want to use my primary mobile phone, so i'm looking for a tablet to use.  I will likely end up with an iPad mini 3 or maybe even the new iPad 9.7, but i'm waiting until after Father's day to buy any new tech.  
2018-5-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

3-D Posted at 2018-5-31 04:34
I'm using an Android. (Samsung Note 4)  This, however, is at the bottom of the compatibility scale, and I know i need to upgrade that device.  And the difference in code between .0300 and .0400 could be the difference that puts that device below the line.

I don't want to use my primary mobile phone, so i'm looking for a tablet to use.  I will likely end up with an iPad mini 3 or maybe even the new iPad 9.7, but i'm waiting until after Father's day to buy any new tech.

Hate to say it but that's the reason mate. Use IOS on DJI drones - it even states on the back of the box that the app is made for Apple...
iPad Mini 4 is the best to use with these things if going down the iPad route but I prefer my iPhone 7 plus as much easier to carry and I can remain connected over 4G to cache maps in hybrid as I fly - leaving wifi and bluetooth off of course. That's why I can reach >6,000 feet in a CE area and not lose signal. You can reach 13,200 in an FCC area with the MA. You shouldn't be getting drop out at 3,000' unless you are flying over a congested area which of course you shouldn't be. You're device is the issue.
2018-5-31
Use props
Lifescaner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3091 ft
Germany

3-D Posted at 2018-5-31 04:34

Shame DJI, i bought a consumer Product and must be an Engineer to get a safe Drone ?
Thats not the Customer friendly way !

So i hope on a better Firmware .500 cause i got the YAW Glitch in several flights

Come on DJI, do YOUR work to get a good Product/Mavic Air.

Greets from Germany

2018-5-31
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-5-31 04:40
Hate to say it but that's the reason mate. Use IOS on DJI drones - it even states on the back of the box that the app is made for Apple...
iPad Mini 4 is the best to use with these things if going down the iPad route but I prefer my iPhone 7 plus as much easier to carry and I can remain connected over 4G to cache maps in hybrid as I fly - leaving wifi and bluetooth off of course. That's why I can reach >6,000 feet in a CE area and not lose signal. You can reach 13,200 in an FCC area with the MA. You shouldn't be getting drop out at 3,000' unless you are flying over a congested area which of course you shouldn't be. You're device is the issue.

this is probably gong to derail this thread, so i may need to take this to a separate thread.  but do you think it's better to have a device with active service on it than to fly with a 'wifi only' device?

My Note4 is an old device that i was no longer using, and that's why i decided to use it.  I did not want to use my active mobile phone because i didn't want to have to contend with phone calls, or miss them completely due to putting the phone in airplane mode.  If it is better to have service on the mobile phone that i'm using, that is going to change my purchase strategy.
2018-5-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

3-D Posted at 2018-5-31 04:49
this is probably gong to derail this thread, so i may need to take this to a separate thread.  but do you think it's better to have a device with active service on it than to fly with a 'wifi only' device?

My Note4 is an old device that i was no longer using, and that's why i decided to use it.  I did not want to use my active mobile phone because i didn't want to have to contend with phone calls, or miss them completely due to putting the phone in airplane mode.  If it is better to have service on the mobile phone that i'm using, that is going to change my purchase strategy.

That's not off topic mate as this thread is about finding solutions to a potential issue a number are facing - which is clearly not always the FW - as in my case.

I always use an iPhone as it also has a GPS module in addition to cellular. I turn off WiFi and BT and leave mobile data on. Always have done and I don't get signal issues.

Having a GPS module is advisable to use features like dynamic home point and to see the maps live without having to cache at home beforehand. Some modes also work better like active track. You can use a WiFi only device but not as good. My iPhone 7+ is not dedicated - I use it for everything - just ensure all other apps are shut down when flying. Engage do not disturb too.

2018-5-31
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-5-31 05:00
That's not off topic mate as this thread is about finding solutions to a potential issue a number are facing - which is clearly not always the FW - as in my case.

I always use an iPhone as it also has a GPS module in addition to cellular. I turn off WiFi and BT and leave mobile data on. Always have done and I don't get signal issues.

I may give it a shot, and install the app on my primary mobile phone, (google pixel xl) and see if there is a difference.  I also just remembered that i recently upgraded my wife to a new iphone from her 6S+  I may try that old device as well to see if it does better than the Note4
2018-5-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

3-D Posted at 2018-5-31 05:29
I may give it a shot, and install the app on my primary mobile phone, (google pixel xl) and see if there is a difference.  I also just remembered that i recently upgraded my wife to a new iphone from her 6S+  I may try that old device as well to see if it does better than the Note4

6S+ will be better for you - give it a try.
2018-5-31
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-5-31 05:31
6S+ will be better for you - give it a try.

Unless it clears up around lunch time, today's tests will be cancelled, and i'll be waiting for the evening on Friday.  I'll grab that 6S+ when i get home and put it in my case to test with.
2018-5-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Annoying when the weather changes like that!
Cool on the 6S+ - down load GO4 on it when you get home and turn it all on to make sure all is ok to start with then use it on Friday to test it. Fingers crossed for you
2018-5-31
Use props
notjames
lvl.1
Flight distance : 41296 ft
Switzerland

I don't buy the ios only point. The AC fw is the same. It basically controls the craft.
The rf (so called enhanced WiFi) comes from the controller.. Which again is the same for android or apple.  OK the dji app is different but people are experiencing issues after fw upgrade...
By the way I really think that dji should allow us to reflash a previous version
2018-5-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

notjames Posted at 2018-5-31 07:31
I don't buy the ios only point. The AC fw is the same. It basically controls the craft.
The rf (so called enhanced WiFi) comes from the controller.. Which again is the same for android or apple.  OK the dji app is different but people are experiencing issues after fw upgrade...
By the way I really think that dji should allow us to reflash a previous version

Not everyone is and it is a fact that Android devices do not work as effectively as IOS on DJI drones. The RC connects to the phone and whilst signal between the RC and AC may remain the app can crash - this is far more common on Android devices.
2018-5-31
Use props
Nikolay S Donev
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1290892 ft
Bulgaria

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-30 15:23
Do you have an issue, except it sounds like a rant, maybe you can show us all the drones falling from the sky, or maybe just 1 that was directly caused by .400 , from what I hear there are several problems, take the one above look at the videos and tell me the area being flown in is not a hazard for WiFi and plenty of interference, and apart from video above we haven’t seen a whole lot more. But one thing we do know there are many flying their MavAir with none of these problems.

Rant...haha good luck bro.
2018-6-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

Nikolay S Donev Posted at 2018-6-1 03:17
Rant...haha good luck bro.

If you have an issue let’s us hear about it and maybe post a video of your problems, otherwise you are just ranting and it serves no purpose. Ha Ha......
2018-6-1
Use props
Nikolay S Donev
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1290892 ft
Bulgaria

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-6-1 03:34
If you have an issue let’s us hear about it and maybe post a video of your problems, otherwise you are just ranting and it serves no purpose. Ha Ha......

Already posted my screenshots from the log in Motor Current thread.... This thread is QUESTION for when we should expect update not complaining about issues so if you are interested in my issues, which I am sure you are not, you can feel free to go and check them, HA HA Captain should know that right ?
Being rude to concerned people is not helping also BTW.
2018-6-1
Use props
AndrewUK
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1403068 ft
United Kingdom

Maybe worth users with and without issues post their manufacture date.  The date is on my box, bottom right of barcode label under UPC barcode.  I did have my MA stop responding in sport mode a couple of times soon after upgrading to 0400, but that has not reoccurred for many weeks and many flights.  No other issues to report with 0400.  Manufacture date 2018/3.
2018-6-1
Use props
Heavenone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3563 ft
  • >>>
Germany

#Andrew UK

my Air also 2018/3 (but all Mavic Air before from 2018/1 have been exchanged by DJI)
I had ABSOLUTLY NO PROBLEMS!
But after update 0.400  I had a lot of problems like reported in all DJI Forum.....
2018-6-1
Use props
RobertW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41818 ft
  • >>>
United States

forbsie Posted at 2018-5-30 20:40
Hey Robert,

I too was worried about flying my MA since the update, but bit the bullet yesterday and have flown 6 batteries worth since then. I kept it within a couple of hundred metres at all time just in case. Apart from one disconnect of a few seconds it otherwise performed faultlessly, no sign of yaw issue etc. It's strange this problem appears to affecting some users badly, and others not all all. I'd say get out and fly, just be cautious, keep the drone close and be ready to take control if something goes wrong.

Ok, you give me new hope, I'll try it today.
But, it's a shame we have to go through all this hassle. I wonder what people would  say if, per example, after buying a new car they are faced with a service recall every other week.
Thank you for your reply.
2018-6-1
Use props
RobertW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41818 ft
  • >>>
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-5-30 06:51
Caution, is certainly not stupid.

Thank you !!
2018-6-1
Use props
Rblomqvist
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1026260 ft
United States

I am really happy to read several have had positive experiences after calibrating everything. I will give calibration another try for sure and hope to have the same luck and plan to fly this weekend. I have to admit I have not re-calibrated everything after I installed latest iOS 11.4 or DJI Go4 4.2.16.

My original hope with starting this thread, was to have DJI answer the WHEN and WHAT to expect questions. As DJI has confirmed they are working on an update some 3 weeks ago to be released "soon", my hope was they could bring some light to this. Re-calibrating everything with every new app release may be the answer, even if I believe the root cause is something else. Being a software developer myself, I don't believe ANY software have zero defects. With many thousands lines of code, it's so easy to miss a tiny link or reference, accidentally create a small memory leak etc, especially since there are so many variables to consider.
If DJI officially recommended the steps to follow (re-calibration etc) to minimize or avoid the known problems before an updated fw is released, I think many will get some peace in mind.

I hope someone at DJI reads this and takes a few minutes to reply.
2018-6-1
Use props
Scoobywrx05
lvl.2
Flight distance : 917844 ft
United States

DJI. Any update when this will be fixed? Mine is only getting worse. Started off with the 15 degree turn after take off. That went away for the most part but the drifting around after take off was worse,  Then satellite link up after powering on keeps on taking longer and longer every flight. 4 and a half minutes I had to wait today before it locked on enough satellite s to record the home point and the last 2 flights it disconnected from the controller for a brief second or 2 . First time it stopped and sat there till I took my fingers off the sticks and started to fly again. Second time it started to drift away in the wind. Sounds like you guys have some serious issues you need to resolve pretty quick here. If it is going to take to long to come up with a new firmware then release the old firmware so we can go to that. In the meantime I’ll still keep flying it and will wait for the day it either drifts away in the wind or drops out of the sky. Let us know please and thank you.
2018-6-3
Use props
Cyril-Fr
lvl.2
Flight distance : 106552 ft
France

This 0400 got lot and bug. But he got critical issue too. The drone can crash :

2018-6-3
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

Cyril-Fr Posted at 2018-6-3 10:04
This 0400 got lot and bug. But he got critical issue too. The drone can crash :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCyvdT3haLU

OMG, that would scare the crap out of me if that happened to my MA!!!
2018-6-3
Use props
cspain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 662644 ft
United States

DJI should have put trim buttons on the controller, then we could fix any yaw or roll ourselves! Even my $11 Eachine E010 has trim buttons (it can do flips too!)
2018-6-3
Use props
Cyril-Fr
lvl.2
Flight distance : 106552 ft
France

UP dji please !
2018-6-7
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

I'm adding this to my issue list thread as it's relevant:

Threads detailing SERIOUS issue with Mavic Air FW v01.00.0400
2018-6-8
Use props
Ken Storm
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178583 ft
United Kingdom

My MA has a 2018/4 mfg date, no issues so far.
IIRC had the 0200 FW before it was upgraded to 0400 before 1st flight.
2018-6-8
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
Canada

Ken Storm Posted at 2018-6-8 14:44
My MA has a 2018/4 mfg date, no issues so far.
IIRC had the 0200 FW before it was upgraded to 0400 before 1st flight.

That brings up a piece of information, Manufacturing Date, that needs to go into all these Mavic Air problem Threads that appear related to Firmware.

People having trouble may be in a specific Date Range.   
Having been through this, what could be found is only some MA's in that Date Range are messed up.  
Chalked up to different shifts with different techs, and one tech making a simple assembly mistake.

2018-6-8
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
Canada

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-6-8 12:43
I'm adding this to my issue list thread as it's relevant:

Threads detailing SERIOUS issue with Mavic Air FW v01.00.0400

You might consider contacting the OPs of those threads and anybody who posted similar problems in those threads and ask for Manufacturing Date of their Mavic Airs.  
Then add those Mfg Dates to your issue list thread.

(your time, your thread, your call)
2018-6-8
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules