Constant Hardware Issues!
1561 15 2018-5-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jay Blanton
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2475466 ft
United States

I bought my p4p in January, and I got a defective unit that would lose the signal entirely - even after resyncing, so they replaced it at Best Buy with no problem, and the unit worked great; I have my FAA Part 107 and fly daily, sometimes multiple times per day! I have always made sure to take extra care of everything with my drone- I do pre & post flight checks and clean it regulary- I fly very carefully, never putting excess strain on the drone by flying rough -.other than the initial problem with the defective nonsyncing unit, the drone has been great up until a few weeks ago I started having problems- a stress crack developed under the back right  motor vent - I’ve had no crashes or hard landings that would cause this- I found it’s a somewhat common problem reading these forums; I read where people had luck combining a TINY amount of super glue with baking soda to create a concrete like fix, and it worked great- it patched the stress crack and didn’t grow or develop more! Well... last week I was coming in to land after a flight and I lost my video transmission signal - it was directly above me at about 50 feet, and I noticed the camera jerking around and stopped at a weird angle, but I still had control so I landed it. I noticed the battery felt MUCH hotter than usual when I took it out, but I packed up and went home... When I got home I went to put the battery on charge and it didn’t seem to “fit” the charger- I looked at the back of the battery & the plastic between the battery terminals was MELTED from the previous flight! So, I looked inside the drone.... sure enough, the battery terminals had plastic melted on them! I also read that a few others have had the same issue! I plan on sending it in for warranty since I just got it in January, but I have too many jobs booked and i didn't want to re-order the phantom 4 pro and have the same issues potentially happen; so, just to be safe, I ordered the Phantom 4 Pro 2.0 from Best Buy and it’s supposed to be here tomorrow! I did notice on DJI's website the Phantom 4 Pro is no longer available- only the phantom 4 pro version 2.0. Is it possible that the p4p was discontinued because of the known design flaws, and were fixed and addressed in the p4p v2?
2018-5-30
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

"Is it possible that the p4p was discontinued because of the known design flaws, and were fixed and addressed in the p4p v2?"

Of course, it's normal practice to improve things over time, and when you bring out a new version you replace the previous.

Some of the changes will be to improve reliability, some are to improve features, such as the sound levels, some may be to improve profits.
2018-5-30
Use props
Jay Blanton
lvl.2
United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2018-5-30 10:36
"Is it possible that the p4p was discontinued because of the known design flaws, and were fixed and addressed in the p4p v2?"

Of course, it's normal practice to improve things over time, and when you bring out a new version you replace the previous.

I guess I should have worded my question differently...does DJI provide a "changelog" list of previously known issues in addition to the widely marketed "new features"? .... of course I wouldn't think they would publicly acknowledge a major problem like batteries melting & stress cracks, but is there a more in depth list somewhere that would list specific items that have been addressed in newer versions?
2018-5-30
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

Nigel_ Posted at 2018-5-30 10:36

I'm wondering if you send in a P4P for repair and they decide to send a refurb - will they be sending a P4P v 2.0 or the regular one?
2018-5-30
Use props
Jay Blanton
lvl.2
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2018-5-30 10:42
I'm wondering if you send in a P4P for repair and they decide to send a refurb - will they be sending a P4P v 2.0 or the regular one?

I will definitely find out and post on here when I get it back! I sure hope they honor the warranty especially since I only just got it in January! I plan on sending my p4p off tomorrow or Friday... I pick up my new p4p v2 drone tomorrow!
2018-5-30
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

I am sorry to hear about what happened to your aircraft. We recommend contacting our support team to start a ticket and send in the drone to DJI official repair center for evaluation and repair service. You may also submit the request online by clicking on this link: https://repair.dji.com/repair/index
2018-5-30
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

Jay Blanton Posted at 2018-5-30 10:44
I will definitely find out and post on here when I get it back! I sure hope they honor the warranty especially since I only just got it in January! I plan on sending my p4p off tomorrow or Friday... I pick up my new p4p v2 drone tomorrow!

"I pick up my new p4p v2 drone tomorrow!"

I would always recommend to buy from Amazon but it looks like you are buying at some store.
With Amazon you have 4 weeks for testing. If something is not right - just send it back and they'll send you a NEW one.

Buying from DJI means: If there is an issue and you have to send it in, you wait for weeks and possibly get a refurb.
Buying from a store you are never sure how accomodating they will be. They might send it in resulting in the same process like with DJI purchase.

2018-5-30
Use props
Jay Blanton
lvl.2
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-5-30 11:00
I am sorry to hear about what happened to your aircraft. We recommend contacting our support team to start a ticket and send in the drone to DJI official repair center for evaluation and repair service. You may also submit the request online by clicking on this link: https://repair.dji.com/repair/index

Thank you- I will do that!
2018-5-30
Use props
Jay Blanton
lvl.2
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2018-5-30 11:03
"I pick up my new p4p v2 drone tomorrow!"

I would always recommend to buy from Amazon but it looks like you are buying at some store.

Yes, I should have went with Amazon, but unfortunately the local Best Buy store is the best place to get it here if you need it quick- they are good about replacing it if you just purchased it and it has problems- that is what they did initially with me- but when these other issues popped up, it's been too long to take it back to the store where I got it - i bought it in January. Since I pick up the p4p v2 tomorrow, i'll be in no rush to get my defective unit back but i'll be sending it in for warranty repair. I'll post what happens in a few weeks!
2018-5-30
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Eric13 Posted at 2018-5-30 10:42
I'm wondering if you send in a P4P for repair and they decide to send a refurb - will they be sending a P4P v 2.0 or the regular one?

Given that the controllers are not compatible, it seems unlikely they would give you an upgrade!  Although it would be their choice.
2018-5-30
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Jay Blanton Posted at 2018-5-30 10:40
I guess I should have worded my question differently...does DJI provide a "changelog" list of previously known issues in addition to the widely marketed "new features"? .... of course I wouldn't think they would publicly acknowledge a major problem like batteries melting & stress cracks, but is there a more in depth list somewhere that would list specific items that have been addressed in newer versions?

They give us a partial change log for firmware updates, but not for hardware changes.  There is also some variation between aircraft anyway since they use multiple suppliers for many, if not most, parts.

Also changes may be made without creating a new version if they don't mean incompatibilities between parts.

I have heard that the V2 has a "battery properly inserted" sensor, might help with the melting issue, or maybe that is a battery issue.

So no, we will never know the full story, we just have to trust that they have improved things with each new version.  Normally they do get it right, but not always at the first attempt - so make sure you do some test flights with your new aircraft in a safe location before putting too much trust in it!
2018-5-30
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Jay, we're sorry to read the troubles. It is not recommended to fly the drone anymore if there is any issue, please kindly send the aircraft and battery in together at your earliest convenience, the local team will take care once they received the package. If you encounter any difficulties during the progress, please kindly tell us your case number, we'd like to help.
2018-5-30
Use props
Jay Blanton
lvl.2
United States

I wanted to update everyone on my P4P warranty- after it got to the DJI Repair facility, I was sent an email stating that it was outside of the warranty period-- they sent me photos of what I already knew- the battery overheated and melted the battery plastic between the terminals, and the power board on the drone itself. Keep in mind this wasn't a crash- i've never crashed it and i landed it safely every time- I never even noticed the issue until i removed the battery to charge it! Well- they said it'd be $8 for the power board, and the full retail price of 159 for another battery, and of course two hours of labor, for a grand total of $279 But here's the kicker: it WAS still under mfg warranty! I just purchased the drone on january 18th, and the battery only had about 35 charges! There was NOWHERE in the email or repair lookup to question this amount in any way- only a big button to pay that amount! Fortunately, I navigated to DJI chat and gave them my information- the guy i chatted with was nice- and he said he'd put in a "Dispute" for the quote- keep in mind i uploaded my proof of purchase when i FIRST printed the repair label so they obviously had that on file! Once the rep in chat put in the dispute, he said it'd be a day or two before I heard back. Well, this morning I got an update saying "Dear Customer, Your product sent back qualifies for repair under warranty. Repair will be finished within three to six business days." SO.... my question is- being how the initial "assessment" said it WASN'T under warranty, when that was obviously incorrect, does DJI send this out initially hoping someone will just click that big "pay now" button and not question the warranty at all?! If not, it REALLY seems like it since there was absolutely NO words saying or any way in the email to dispute that claim- it didn't say ANYWHERE in the email you could dispute it or anything- just a big "pay now" button...it really felt like I was trying to be taken advantage of and they were trying to test to see if i'd just pay instead of attempting to bring up the warranty. So- while i have my p4p v2.0, it looks like i'll have my p4p repaired also, only after disputing the claim saying i owed money when it was still one month of warranty left! DJI, PLEASE make your repair procedures have BETTER communication! How many people send in their drones who have a warranty and just pay when they see that because they don't know any different and don't know how to navigate to a chat rep to help them dispute the incorrect diagnosis?
2018-6-22
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Jay Blanton Posted at 2018-6-22 12:45
I wanted to update everyone on my P4P warranty- after it got to the DJI Repair facility, I was sent an email stating that it was outside of the warranty period-- they sent me photos of what I already knew- the battery overheated and melted the battery plastic between the terminals, and the power board on the drone itself. Keep in mind this wasn't a crash- i've never crashed it and i landed it safely every time- I never even noticed the issue until i removed the battery to charge it! Well- they said it'd be $8 for the power board, and the full retail price of 159 for another battery, and of course two hours of labor, for a grand total of $279 But here's the kicker: it WAS still under mfg warranty! I just purchased the drone on january 18th, and the battery only had about 35 charges! There was NOWHERE in the email or repair lookup to question this amount in any way- only a big button to pay that amount! Fortunately, I navigated to DJI chat and gave them my information- the guy i chatted with was nice- and he said he'd put in a "Dispute" for the quote- keep in mind i uploaded my proof of purchase when i FIRST printed the repair label so they obviously had that on file! Once the rep in chat put in the dispute, he said it'd be a day or two before I heard back. Well, this morning I got an update saying "Dear Customer, Your product sent back qualifies for repair under warranty. Repair will be finished within three to six business days." SO.... my question is- being how the initial "assessment" said it WASN'T under warranty, when that was obviously incorrect, does DJI send this out initially hoping someone will just click that big "pay now" button and not question the warranty at all?! If not, it REALLY seems like it since there was absolutely NO words saying or any way in the email to dispute that claim- it didn't say ANYWHERE in the email you could dispute it or anything- just a big "pay now" button...it really felt like I was trying to be taken advantage of and they were trying to test to see if i'd just pay instead of attempting to bring up the warranty. So- while i have my p4p v2.0, it looks like i'll have my p4p repaired also, only after disputing the claim saying i owed money when it was still one month of warranty left! DJI, PLEASE make your repair procedures have BETTER communication! How many people send in their drones who have a warranty and just pay when they see that because they don't know any different and don't know how to navigate to a chat rep to help them dispute the incorrect diagnosis?

Hi Jay, I'd like to express my sincere sorry for all the inconvenience caused. I've managed to get your forum account, however, there is no repair case number under your this account, could you please provide us with your case number? We'd like to help you check it, thanks.
2018-6-23
Use props
Jay Blanton
lvl.2
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-6-23 00:38
Hi Jay, I'd like to express my sincere sorry for all the inconvenience caused. I've managed to get your forum account, however, there is no repair case number under your this account, could you please provide us with your case number? We'd like to help you check it, thanks.

I am private messaging you the case number- It has actually already been shipped, and the DJI Rep who i chatted with did a great job of helping me resolve the issue- it was just getting to that point that was frustrating. There should be a reply button that says "if you feel this quote isn't correct, click here to chat with a DJI Rep" or something like that- The serial numbers they sent me upon shipping it back are different for both the drone and battery than the ones I sent in, so it looks like they've sent me a completely different drone and battery- fortunately!
2018-6-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Jay Blanton Posted at 2018-6-23 04:20
I am private messaging you the case number- It has actually already been shipped, and the DJI Rep who i chatted with did a great job of helping me resolve the issue- it was just getting to that point that was frustrating. There should be a reply button that says "if you feel this quote isn't correct, click here to chat with a DJI Rep" or something like that- The serial numbers they sent me upon shipping it back are different for both the drone and battery than the ones I sent in, so it looks like they've sent me a completely different drone and battery- fortunately!

Thanks for your suggestions to our repair process, which will be forwarded to our management department for consideration, we will also keep improving our customer service, please test the drone when you receive it and let us know if there is any other issue.
2018-6-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules