iphone won't connect to R/C
7070 16 2018-5-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ralph T.
lvl.1
Germany

Hello,

I have bought a brandnew Mavic Pro Platinum flymore combo but am further away from flying than I have ever been. In fact I haven't even started the motors yet.

Thing is: The ipone (7) won't connect to the remote control, neither with the fixed cable on the left nor with the USB slot in the center. It doesn't even switch to ''loading'' status. In fact, the phone does switch to ''loading'' for a second after connecting to the R/C, but then goes back to normal. DJI GO4 App thus remains in ''not connected'' mode. Connecting iphone to PC with the same cable works normally, I think cable and phone are fine.  

Any advice? Any guess? Could it be a hardware issue with the R/C? Should I send it back to the seller? It's now the 5th evening I am wasting on this and I'm tempted to produce a video of crushing the whole thing to tiny pieces with my feet.

Thanks for advice,
Ralph

2018-5-30
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Ralph, please check the following steps:
1. Please check if you could control the gimbal by the RC. If the gimbal doesn't move, please try to relink the drone and RC.
2. If you can control it, please try to replug the connecting cable between the RC and the device, when using the USB port on the bottom, please remove the left cable first.
3. Try to reinstall the app, don't forget to back up important files and flight records first if it has.
4. Upgrade the firmware of the drone if it is needed.
If the issue persists, please provide me with the screenshots of the app or an operating video for further checking.
2018-6-3
Use props
Ralph T.
lvl.1
Germany

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-6-3 23:57
Ralph, please check the following steps:
1. Please check if you could control the gimbal by the RC. If the gimbal doesn't move, please try to relink the drone and RC.
2. If you can control it, please try to replug the connecting cable between the RC and the device, when using the USB port on the bottom, please remove the left cable first.

Hi,

thanks for replying. My answers:

> 1. Please check if you could control the gimbal by the RC

Yes I can. RC and aircraft talk, no doubt. I can also take pictures. (But I don't see them on the phone obviously.)

> 2. If you can control it, please try to replug the connecting cable between the RC and the device, when using the USB port on the bottom, please remove the left cable first.

Done that a hundred times. No effect. Phone acknowledges the existence of a loading cable for a second, then goes back to as if no cable were there. Same with two different iPhones (5 and 6) I tried. My Saumsung phone and device load no problems but are too old for Go 4 App.

3. Try to reinstall the app, don't forget to back up important files and flight records first if it has.

Done that once, no effect. App doesn't feel the connection to RC at all.

> 4. Upgrade the firmware of the drone if it is needed.

Done that. Drone and RC are both on v01.04.0300.

I expect to receive another RC (bought 2nd hand) tomorrow. Will try and report. And advice in the meantime is more than welcome!

Cheers,
Ralph
2018-6-4
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Ralph T. Posted at 2018-6-4 12:12
Hi,

thanks for replying. My answers:

Ralph, thank you for getting back. Since Samsung can load the transmission, the RC and drone should not be the problem. May I know the current version of your iOS? Please try to refresh the operating system of your phone. If it is convenient, you can borrow another iOS device to see if the RC does not respond to any iOS device.
BTW, I also look forward to your report about the new RC.
2018-6-6
Use props
Ralph T.
lvl.1
Germany

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-6-6 04:47
Ralph, thank you for getting back. Since Samsung can load the transmission, the RC and drone should not be the problem. May I know the current version of your iOS? Please try to refresh the operating system of your phone. If it is convenient, you can borrow another iOS device to see if the RC does not respond to any iOS device.
BTW, I also look forward to your report about the new RC.

The iPhone runs on iOs 11.1.2. Should be good enough, no?

Just to make sure we're on the same page:  When I say "Samsung loads", I mean: The battery loads. I can't try the app, because the Android om those devides is clearly too old.  But the connection (as indicated by the 'loading battery' symbol) stays.

Maybe a different question: I use the "Device shows the 'loading battery' symbol" as an indication that there is an actual connection between the phone and the R/C. All other things load their batteries when connected to the R/C, only the iPhones don't. I have tried three different iPhones now and actually two different Controllers, and it's all the same: The 'loading battery' symbol pops up for a second and switches back to normal as if it wasn't connected to anything. Is that a normal behaviour?

I can't believe I am the first to try and run the Mavic with an iPhone....

Thanks for helping!
Ralph

2018-6-6
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Ralph T. Posted at 2018-6-6 10:53
The iPhone runs on iOs 11.1.2. Should be good enough, no?

Just to make sure we're on the same page:  When I say "Samsung loads", I mean: The battery loads. I can't try the app, because the Android om those devides is clearly too old.  But the connection (as indicated by the 'loading battery' symbol) stays.

I'm confused when you say "loading" -- I don't remember ever seeing that on my iPhone 7. Got a screengrab to share?

It appears you can control the AC, you're just not getting a video feed, right? I sometimes get that and I fix it by unplugging the cable while the app is running, then re-inserting the cable, and after a moment everything comes up. For a period of time this used to happen pretty often but since updating to iOS 11.3, and maybe a newer version of Go 4, it hardly ever happens now, usually when I'm switching apps mid-flight.

Anyway, hope this helps.
2018-6-6
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Just to make sure we're on the same page:  When I say "Samsung loads", I mean: The battery loads. I can't try the app, because the Android om those devides is clearly too old.  But the connection (as indicated by the 'loading battery' symbol) stays.

Ah, ok, by "loading" you mean the iPhone's battery charging indicator -- got it.
2018-6-6
Use props
Ralph T.
lvl.1
Germany

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-6-6 11:38
Ah, ok, by "loading" you mean the iPhone's battery charging indicator -- got it.

Ah sorry. You're right: "Charging" would have been the correct word.

The iphone charges through USB/lightning from basically everything: Laptop, 220V outlet, power bank - but not from the Mavic Controller. I just don't know whether this is an issue or normal behaviour.

In turn, the Mavic controller charges everything - tablets, cellphone - but not the iphones (not 5, not 6, not 7 , not 7+). Weired, isn't it?

Thanks and best regards,

Ralph
2018-6-6
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Ralph T. Posted at 2018-6-6 13:33
Ah sorry. You're right: "Charging" would have been the correct word.

The iphone charges through USB/lightning from basically everything: Laptop, 220V outlet, power bank - but not from the Mavic Controller. I just don't know whether this is an issue or normal behaviour.

The charging of phones by the Mavic controller is considered a bug by most Android users, and is apparently something that not all android devices do and DJI has no control over -- there are many threads here about the subject if you care to explore further, fwiw.

Not sure why iOS devices don't charge, maybe the RC doesn't supply power down the right pin or something?

2018-6-6
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Noted with thanks. As for the battery loading status, it is normal at the Android device keeps the charging status and the battery "charging" status will disappear after a second for the iOS device.
The current iOS is 11.4, if it is convenient, I suggest that you try to update the firmware of your OS for trying.
2018-6-6
Use props
Ralph T.
lvl.1
Germany

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-6-6 21:24
Noted with thanks. As for the battery loading status, it is normal at the Android device keeps the charging status and the battery "charging" status will disappear after a second for the iOS device.
The current iOS is 11.4, if it is convenient, I suggest that you try to update the firmware of your OS for trying.

Oh-Kay.  

I guess that means I have been asking the wrong questions (and have assumed the wrong things).

Will try iOS update as soon as I can! Thank  you both for helping!!

Keep fingers crossed
Ralph

2018-6-6
Use props
DJI iOS Team
DJI R&D Squad

Hong Kong

Hi, when you connect your iPhone with the remote controller. You can check if there is a "C1" or "C2" device in iOS "Settings/General/About".
2018-6-6
Use props
Ralph T.
lvl.1
Germany

Ralph T. Posted at 2018-6-6 22:12
Oh-Kay.  

I guess that means I have been asking the wrong questions (and have assumed the wrong things).

Phew. It says "Connected" now. There is hope.

What did I do?

1. Tried to uprade to iOS 11.4. Phone said mine (11.1.2) was the most recent. Thought dustbin would be good place for phone. Decided not to.
2. Reset phone to factory settings.
3. Told the phone I want ENGLISH now. (before it was in German).
4. Suddenly it does find iOS 11.4
5. Downloaded and installed iOS 11.4
6. Switched on R/C, plugged in phone
7. phone says "Hey, here's a device on C2, wanna search for an app"?  [wording slighly different]
8. downloaded Go 4.
9. Switched on drone.
10. PHONE SAYS "CONNECTED".

There's hope now I'll proceed to "Activate". We'll see

Thanks everybody till here!! I suspect having the iPhone speaking German was the big mistake.....

Will keep you updated, just needed to share

Ralph

2018-6-7
Use props
Ralph T.
lvl.1
Germany

Ralph T. Posted at 2018-6-7 11:46
Phew. It says "Connected" now. There is hope.

What did I do?

Hi everyone,

just wanted to let you know that Drony has made her first flight today with iPhone 7 external brain and no issues whatsoever. Aircraft and pilot are really, really happy.

THANKS for your help and CHEERS!
Ralph
2018-6-8
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Ralph T. Posted at 2018-6-8 01:24
Hi everyone,

just wanted to let you know that Drony has made her first flight today with iPhone 7 external brain and no issues whatsoever. Aircraft and pilot are really, really happy.

Awesome, glad you got it sorted!
2018-6-8
Use props
Yiliayoung
lvl.3

What possible is that there is something wrong with your iPhone. May it has a software-related issue rather than a hardware problem.
Just like my iPhone stuck on the loading screen or cannot connect to iTunes, sometimes the iOS crash, or potential software cannot be compatible, etc.
In this case, you might as well take an iPhone iOS system recovery to fix system and software problems.
Keep yourself relaxed. There is no data loss during and after the whole repair process. Good luck to u!
2019-9-18
Use props
Tiana
lvl.2

United States

is it your iPhone problem? As there are always similar issues happen on iPhone such as iPhone stuck on connect to iTunes, iPhone stuck on apple logo, etc. If it is this case, you are suggested to use an ios repair tool such as TunesKit to fix it well without any data loss. And resultantly, your iPhone's performance will be improved, too.
2021-1-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules