Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Missing colors in D-Cinelike?
4457 29 2018-5-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MavGuido
Second Officer
Flight distance : 338793 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Hello together,
if i using this profile in some scenarios, some greentones are lost.
The Trees that are litlebit deeper greenishbrown, lost complete his color and looks grey, instead the gras is so heavy green,
the if i punch the trees a little bit, the gras is extremly overpowered.

In the preview of the DNG files it looks the same, but if i open them up in Camera Raw, the color go to coorect and looking normal.
Can i do something against thes effect?

An screenshot of theses D-cinelog is attached.
Thanks and regards

DJI_0469.MP4_snapshot_00.27_[2018.05.30_23.03.43].jpg
2018-5-30
Use props
Squashpile
Second Officer
Flight distance : 214019 ft
United States

Use D-Cin if you edit in post. Don't use it if you don't edit in post.
2018-5-30
Use props
MavGuido
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Sorry, but this is a stupid answer!
If you can reed you know that i use the profile for editing in post.
What than happens is what i wrote, no more color in the trees.

If something has no color, you can get no color back!
2018-5-30
Use props
Aliaume
lvl.1
Flight distance : 359288 ft

I have noticed exactly the same problem with my Mavic Air. Really difficult to get back some colours in post-production.

It is visible in some shot of my latest video :
2018-5-31
Use props
Bokepacha
Second Officer
Flight distance : 149265 ft
Netherlands

I have the same problem with certain views in certain conditions.

When I'm looking at the forest during the sunset (or at least 2 hours prior to it), some colors are very grey and you can't get the colors back because that information is gone. Then, if I look at the opposite direction, the colors are OK.
2018-5-31
Use props
eried
First Officer
Flight distance : 655830 ft
Denmark

I am not an expert but I noticed the same :/ the issue is that using d-log the image is very noisy, so I prefer d-cinelike
2018-5-31
Use props
Malakai_UK
Captain
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What have you got your settings at for sharpness, contrast and colour?
2018-5-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

MavGuido Posted at 2018-5-30 23:56
Sorry, but this is a stupid answer!
If you can reed you know that i use the profile for editing in post.
What than happens is what i wrote, no more color in the trees.

If you want people to notice your answer, use the small 'reply' link underneath the post.
That way he (or she) gets a notification of your answer.
2018-5-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Actually I have seen a lot of people complaining about this lately.
Not sure if it is due to an update, or if it always has been like this.
My Mavic Pro certainly does NOT have this.
2018-5-31
Use props
Aliaume
lvl.1
Flight distance : 359288 ft

Malakai_UK Posted at 2018-5-31 01:30
What have you got your settings at for sharpness, contrast and colour?

Sharpness 0, contrast -3 and saturation -2

Will do some testing with saturation at 0
2018-5-31
Use props
MavGuido
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

I use the same settings as Aliaume!
But if i use Color at 0, the gras green is so heavy green instead of some trees, that it even is unuseable.
But i was wandering if some users uses the "D-Log" which is in the Air  are not available??

So we must make a requist to DJI tha we want the Dlog for the Mavic Air, while the "none" Profile makes the same Colorlost as the D-Cinelike.
I have another Screenshot of the footage, where you can see, that some brownischcolors are turned into an unuseable grey/lostcolor!!
2018-5-31
Use props
MavGuido
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

eried Posted at 2018-5-31 01:01
I am not an expert but I noticed the same :/ the issue is that using d-log the image is very noisy, so I prefer d-cinelike

Can you pleas show me how do you can use the D-Log and where i can find it?
Thank you!
2018-5-31
Use props
eried
First Officer
Flight distance : 655830 ft
Norway

MavGuido Posted at 2018-5-31 08:42
Can you pleas show me how do you can use the D-Log and where i can find it?
Thank you!

oh, I have a mavic pro, I though it was available in the Air too
2018-5-31
Use props
Mark Weiss
First Officer
United States

As a long time cinematographer who uses LUTs and Log shooting, applying the correct LUT to mirror the gamma and color gamut curves of the recording Log curve is essential to getting correct color.
Since I'm using CS6, I use a combination of the Gamma tool, plus Fast Color Corrector to get emulate a LUT. Greens are certainly not lacking.
2018-5-31
Use props
GDL
First Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

I have same problem in normal colour profiles. Some suggest this issue caused by the auto white balance. I still unable to test it so far. See if anyone can try manual white balance and get better colour on different lighting.
2018-5-31
Use props
UAVNV
lvl.3

United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-5-31 04:11
Actually I have seen a lot of people complaining about this lately.
Not sure if it is due to an update, or if it always has been like this.
My Mavic Pro certainly does NOT have this.

I was going to comment the same, I have not noticed this problem on my mavic pro
2018-5-31
Use props
MavGuido
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

For me it is mostly a problem in a specific light combination.
Most the time it is in bad weather or late evening times.

I will test if the none profile with -3 Sat brings a better reproduction.
But as i told, very interisting is the fact, that the sam scenario in photomode with dngs is only gone, if i edit it in adobe camera raw, then the color came back,
but i thought this is an 14bit photo vs 8bit log footage issue.

Probably we all must have to show DJI this effect, probably they didn´t recognice it?
2018-5-31
Use props
MavGuido
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Mark Weiss Posted at 2018-5-31 16:39
As a long time cinematographer who uses LUTs and Log shooting, applying the correct LUT to mirror the gamma and color gamut curves of the recording Log curve is essential to getting correct color.
Since I'm using CS6, I use a combination of the Gamma tool, plus Fast Color Corrector to get emulate a LUT. Greens are certainly not lacking.

Me too, but in log the color are desaturatet, not deleted ;-)
2018-5-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

UAVNV Posted at 2018-5-31 21:04
I was going to comment the same, I have not noticed this problem on my mavic pro

On the other hand, I did see a lot of beautiful footage from the MA. So I'm curious how they set their profiles.
2018-5-31
Use props
GDL
First Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Hong Kong

It’s depends on the light conditions. You can see my case posted before.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-149735-1-1.html
2018-5-31
Use props
Mark Weiss
First Officer
United States

MavGuido Posted at 2018-5-31 22:53
Me too, but in log the color are desaturatet, not deleted ;-)

It is the nature of ALL log footage. That's why one uses a Monitor LUT for the display (DJI GO 4 has a display option that engages what effectively is a LUT) while shooting and a technical LUT for mirroring the gamma and color gamut curves. Contrast and color saturation levels are compressed to fit the log curve in order to squeeze 11.6 stops into an 8-stop (normally) file format. 8 bits is a bit marginal for log. I like to shoot at least 12 bits when shooting S-Log, but the P4P doesn't offer that option. I believe that's Inspire/Zenmuse X7 territory.

The real trick is to find out what LUT this D-Log is based upon and use that in post production. That will bring your colors back to the right levels and then the rest is creative taste.
2018-6-1
Use props
MavGuido
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Mark Weiss Posted at 2018-6-1 09:43
It is the nature of ALL log footage. That's why one uses a Monitor LUT for the display (DJI GO 4 has a display option that engages what effectively is a LUT) while shooting and a technical LUT for mirroring the gamma and color gamut curves. Contrast and color saturation levels are compressed to fit the log curve in order to squeeze 11.6 stops into an 8-stop (normally) file format. 8 bits is a bit marginal for log. I like to shoot at least 12 bits when shooting S-Log, but the P4P doesn't offer that option. I believe that's Inspire/Zenmuse X7 territory.

The real trick is to find out what LUT this D-Log is based upon and use that in post production. That will bring your colors back to the right levels and then the rest is creative taste.

You are explaining on the one hand what a log or lut is or can do, but on the other hand you don´t understand what we speaking of.

It is not the case that a log profile is usualy desaturated to get a higher dr, in our case it is so, that it seems, that this lut is not workable for all kind of lightning scenarios especially if the codec has 8Bit 4.2.0 only.

If the MA would have the professional D-Log profile and not the D-Cinelike funfair profile,
this could be a fully  working solution.
2018-6-1
Use props
Mark Weiss
First Officer
United States

MavGuido Posted at 2018-6-1 12:27
You are explaining on the one hand what a log or lut is or can do, but on the other hand you don´t understand what we speaking of.

It is not the case that a log profile is usualy desaturated to get a higher dr, in our case it is so, that it seems, that this lut is not workable for all kind of lightning scenarios especially if the codec has 8Bit 4.2.0 only.

On the camera color menu, there are two settings which include D-Log-like Cine and D-Log. Are you choosing the actual  D-Log? In my analysis, D-Log is very close to the S-log2 that I shoot on Sony's Cine Alta cinema cameras. It's real log, for sure. It grades in a similar manner. In fact, I tend to get oversaturated greens and reds doing the grade manually without a LUT. I will have to try this in DaVinci Resolve with a LUT and see if I can improve the results.
2018-6-2
Use props
MavGuido
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

I don´t know with which drone you are filming, but we use the mavic air, and the mavic air did not have the d-Log profile, only the D-cinelike!
If we could use that profile, we would not talk here about that boring theme!
2018-6-2
Use props
Free2be
lvl.4
Flight distance : 229570 ft
Belgium

I have tested and comfirm that I have the same problem with this setting.
2018-6-3
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

I have noticed the problem too without thinking that it could be caused by the D-Cinelike setting. Glad to know this now and shall switch it off next time. Thank you!
2018-6-3
Use props
cspain
First Officer
Flight distance : 662644 ft
United States

Are you using any of the auto crap like auto white balance?
2018-6-3
Use props
MavGuido
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

cspain Posted at 2018-6-3 09:23
Are you using any of the auto crap like auto white balance?

Holy! Never!
2018-6-3
Use props
MavGuido
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

But to bring it to the point, it has nothing to do with auto settings, WB, or other things, it depends on D-Cinelike.
On the P3P, which have had the D-cineloke only too, it was the same creepy thing!

DJI must bring us the D-Log to the Mavic Air! :-)
2018-6-3
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

MavGuido Posted at 2018-6-3 10:02
But to bring it to the point, it has nothing to do with auto settings, WB, or other things, it depends on D-Cinelike.
On the P3P, which have had the D-cineloke only too, it was the same creepy thing!

Very good proposal! :-)
2018-6-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules