Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Active track flyaway
12Next >
3486 44 2018-5-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Deggers
lvl.1
Flight distance : 181772 ft
United Kingdom

Happened to me, googled it and would appear common flyaways in active-track mode?

Mavic pro was in follow me, I walked underneath the drone. It lost me, paused, yellow message box on the screen saying "searching"

Searching meaning, camera level to the horizon and fly off in a random direction straight until uninterrupted on the controller.

Considering part of the perks of this thing are the active track features.... which can't be trusted?

Not good is it if you can't trust it to AT LEAST just pause/hover rather than fly off in a random direction!?
- not sure what would have happened if I didn't have the controller to hand and it was left to fly away, would it have gone as far as it could and then RTH...?

#iflosesubject=searchandflyoff
or
#iflosesubject=hover

I know which one seems more logical
2018-5-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

How far did drone go before you got it stopped?  
2018-5-30
Use props
Deggers
lvl.1
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-30 14:11
How far did drone go before you got it stopped?

Take a look.
0:00-0:35 = Active Track Follow Me
0:35 = Walk under the camera, gimble pans down, loses active track
0:40 = Apparent Flyaway start, Mavic speeds up southerly direction (now where do you suppose it would have ended up at what speed)
0:44 = Warning Subject Lost. Searching - but Mavic had already accelerated up to 13mph and clear it was flying away and you can see controller input back to stop it, which is what happened.
Control regained.

- I also have video footage of the camera lose track, camera tilt up and its acceleration.
2018-5-30
Use props
Bill B
First Officer
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

Dear Landy!
2018-5-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Deggers Posted at 2018-5-30 14:34
https://youtu.be/40S3KaYA38c

Take a look.

Mavic pro was in follow me, I walked underneath the drone. It lost me, paused, yellow message box on the screen saying "searching"

Maybe DJI needs to change wording in Yellow message box from ''searching'' to "Let Snipe hunt being, Tally-ho''.
Thinking there is a need for Pilot settable parameters that limits seach distance and speed.  That results in either a hover or return to place where target was lost.

2018-5-30
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Just click the PAUSE button and you will regain control!
2018-5-30
Use props
Deggers
lvl.1
United Kingdom

dronist Posted at 2018-5-30 19:55
Just click the PAUSE button and you will regain control!

Obviously, but that isn't the point ?

What if the controller had been placed on the ground away or was using phone wifi and it continued its behaviour out of range for whatever reason. Looks at its alt, it was rising but for activetrack it was below treeline/obstacles.

Are we saying this is expected behaviour rather than "hover" until low battery then RTH?
-- and so you can never just relax without thinking I need the controller to hand, or having to keep looking back as it can fly off. For example, some marketing material sells this as people ski-ing or snowboarding with them following you then you have zero chance of stopping it.

So - this is expected behaviour?
2018-5-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Not sure why when using AT you decide to walk under your aircraft , and you go on to say that you would be doing the same with no RC to hand, much of this is covered in the manual and pause button is recommended, trying to confuse the drone to prove a point is ok but you need to read the manual to check if not using RC is a good option, I haven’t seen it anywhere in the manual.
2018-5-31
Use props
Jeff7577
First Officer
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-31 03:40
Not sure why when using AT you decide to walk under your aircraft , and you go on to say that you would be doing the same with no RC to hand, much of this is covered in the manual and pause button is recommended, trying to confuse the drone to prove a point is ok but you need to read the manual to check if not using RC is a good option, I haven’t seen it anywhere in the manual.
[view_image]

Uh, what? You think this is normal behavior? It’s not.

What yours did here is the same thing that’s been happening to a lot of people.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-148119-3-1.html?page=1
2018-5-31
Use props
Deggers
lvl.1
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-31 03:40
[view_image]

I have the manuals - you're missing the point.

If activetrack, under any situation, walking, cycling, snowboarding, following a car, whatever.......

loses the track......

a) it should hover

or

b) fly in a random direction rising in altitude and speed until manual intervention.

You can only reply a or b
And - is this expected behaviour?

2018-5-31
Use props
Deggers
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Good bye

2018-5-31
Use props
Deggers
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Active track - have the controller to hand whilst your cycling or snowboarding down a hill incase it decides to lose track and fly away, not hover. Not in the ads.

2018-5-31
Use props
Deggers
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Not seen anyone holding a controller in Activetrack modes here

2018-5-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

Jeff7577 Posted at 2018-5-31 04:13
Uh, what? You think this is normal behavior? It’s not.

What yours did here is the same thing that’s been happening to a lot of people.

Mine didn’t do anything.
2018-5-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

Deggers Posted at 2018-5-31 04:25
Good bye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geDeBsuHnz0

Total rubbish using this video this drone had compass problems and was highlited on spark forum I have seen the logs.
2018-5-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

Deggers Posted at 2018-5-31 04:27
Active track - have the controller to hand whilst your cycling or snowboarding down a hill incase it decides to lose track and fly away, not hover. Not in the ads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljdzezsSkDo

Again for someone who read the manual Don’t use around fine objects ie trees.
2018-5-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

Deggers Posted at 2018-5-31 04:16
I have the manuals - you're missing the point.

If activetrack, under any situation, walking, cycling, snowboarding, following a car, whatever.......

Again refer to manual tracked subject is on snowy surface. Do you not wonder why all of these are mentioned in the manual.
2018-5-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-31 04:38
Total rubbish using this video this drone had compass problems and was highlited on spark forum I have seen the logs.

I remember that too.
2018-5-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-31 04:43
Again refer to manual tracked subject is on snowy surface. Do you not wonder why all of these are mentioned in the manual.

You'll also notice that OA was turned off so either low light conditions or chose velocity over avoidance - added with the snow it was going to happen.
2018-5-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

Deggers Posted at 2018-5-31 04:32

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_4280585277&feature=iv&src_vid=0YnfCSiCBQE&v=p1d_ptE6yrc

I once seen an add for Cadbury’s milk tray a guy dives into the river with chocolates inside his coat climbed a 29 story building and delivered  the chocolate perfectly dry, I tried it my chocolates were destroyed and I nearly drowned (;+)
2018-5-31
Use props
Deggers
lvl.1
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-31 05:06
I once seen an add for Cadbury’s milk tray a guy dives into the river with chocolates inside his coat climbed a 29 story building and delivered  the chocolate perfectly dry, I tried it my chocolates were destroyed and I nearly drowned (;+)

OK so for the clever people who are quoting out of date manuals and probably not aware of the changes in compass recommendations.
https://www.dji.com/mavic/info#downloads
- v2 available here.. quote from it next time, it will give you credit.

And I appreciate this question is not in a manual so lets see if it can be asked and answered again by you chaps.

Lose activetrack, the expected behaviour is

a) hover

b) flyaway

c) its not in the manual, i have no idea.
2018-5-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

Deggers Posted at 2018-5-31 05:20
OK so for the clever people who are quoting out of date manuals and probably not aware of the changes in compass recommendations.

You also forgot to read this part of your manual.
2018-5-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

Particularly read the part about being ready to press X or pause at ALL TIMES, now I think this will answer all your questions.
2018-5-31
Use props
Deggers
lvl.1
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-31 05:33
You also forgot to read this part of your manual.
[view_image][view_image]

I'll put you down for Option C
2018-5-31
Use props
Deggers
lvl.1
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-31 05:35
Particularly read the part about being ready to press X or pause at ALL TIMES, now I think this will answer all your questions.

Yet that was not the question - I'm going to have to add an option D and your going in C and D.
2018-5-31
Use props
Deggers
lvl.1
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-31 05:35

Just so you understand .. you wrote a post where you (who are you?) recommend

Tip To Help Avoid compass interference and crash.

1/ Never calibrate Compass unless prompted to.

The DJI manual says

"If moved greater than 6 miles or not flown for more than one month Calibrate Compass  

Restart aircraft after recalibration "

So which is it (out of date) manual man going against DJI's recommendation in v2? As I say, discredited. Download the latest manual and re-read it then come back with copy and pasting
2018-5-31
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Deggers Posted at 2018-5-31 00:58
Obviously, but that isn't the point ?

What if the controller had been placed on the ground away or was using phone wifi and it continued its behaviour out of range for whatever reason. Looks at its alt, it was rising but for activetrack it was below treeline/obstacles.

Common sense! You should NOT part with the controller. No matter how techs are advanced you need to have full control and ALWAYSFLY IN LOS.
Have someone tracks you or you can track someone else.

Similar to Tesla or any other automated thing you can trust it or the environment or ...

Always better be safe than sorry!
2018-5-31
Use props
Deggers
lvl.1
United Kingdom

dronist Posted at 2018-5-31 06:55
Common sense! You should NOT part with the controller. No matter how techs are advanced you need to have full control and ALWAYSFLY IN LOS.
Have someone tracks you or you can track someone else.

Question - if you lose activetrack, what would you expect the behaviour of the drone to be?

a) hover

b) fly away
2018-5-31
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Drone should do a limited search (set radius around where active track was lost) and do so at a limited speed, then return to where it lost active track and hover.  
When power starts to run low, drone should follow its return to home procedure.  Issue would be if there was enough power at loss of active track to do so.
2018-5-31
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_4280585277&feature=iv&src_vid=0YnfCSiCBQE&v=p1d_ptE6yrc

DJI talks about taking care of your drone.  Then at TM: 0.41s, DJI shows a Mavic Pro strapped to back of a backpack, with no protection.

Yeah, like that is taking care of your drone.  Mine gets carried in a foam padded plastic hard case or by hand.

2018-5-31
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

The girl paddling board at TM: 3:27 has remote controller tucked in back of her bikini bottom...

Reality, cameraman filming commercial is holding RC.
2018-5-31
Use props
Jeff Millard
First Officer
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>

Deggers Posted at 2018-5-31 07:29
Question - if you lose activetrack, what would you expect the behaviour of the drone to be?

a) hover

Answer - “a” as long as everything in the drone world is perfect and nothing goes wrong. “absolute rubbish laddy!” or “b” due to a typical Mr. Murphy afflicted world. Which is why the manual, and every experienced and intelligent pilot here is suggesting that regardless of what can be derived from viewing YouTube videos, you should always have the controller in your hand and be at the ready to regain control over any automated function of the aircraft. Any other opinion is simply dangerous and foolish.

Jeff
2018-5-31
Use props
KlooGee
Captain
Flight distance : 16641309 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you haven't already, I'd recommend you open a case with DJI tech support and provide them with your flight record logs from your phone as well as your black box data from your aircraft.  If it is a defect in the software, then submitting your logs is the only chance for it to get fixed.  Having all of us comment and speculate and quote stuff from the manuals won't change anything.  Submitting your logs to DJI is the only way to potentially try to prevent it from happening again.

I've worked in the software industry a good portion of my adult life and if you want to do something about it, this is the way to go.  I would also recommend providing DJI with access to any video footage of the flight you may have as well.  The more data you can give them, the more likely they can identify what may have happened.
2018-5-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

Deggers Posted at 2018-5-31 05:53
Just so you understand .. you wrote a post where you (who are you?) recommend

Tip To Help Avoid compass interference and crash.

Just on that point, although it seems now like your trolling, in your up to date safety and disclaimers for Mavic Pro , it clearly tells you NOT TO CALIBRATE UNLESS PROMPTED, but aside from that.

Phantom , only calibrate when prompted
Inspire 2, only calibrate when prompted
Spark , only calibrate when prompted
Mavic Pro changed in manual to calibrate every 10km
Mavic Air calibrate if moved more than 50km

In all of above safety and disclaimers manual (probably your most important Manual) ONLY CALIBRATE WHEN PROMPTED.
I’m sure you are aware what  disclaimer means but just to refresh , if you don’t adhere to this then your warranty is in danger of of being null and void.
So information I gave was correct at the time I put up both thread and post, administration here thought that it was good information and decided to put it up as a sticky.
I still stand over what I said, and I believe that most users calibrate their compass when prompted.
2018-5-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

In your manual it clearly tells and explains how to use active track, there are very good reasons why everything is explained, if as you say yourself you are not sure of what happens then be prepared to take the necessary precautions as explained in the manual when using AT.

All of the videos you showed are covered in the manual, so users should be prepared to take responsibility if these are ignored.
2018-5-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

Deggers Posted at 2018-5-31 05:46
Yet that was not the question - I'm going to have to add an option D and your going in C and D.

I think D should be for the dunce who ignores what is said in the manual.
2018-5-31
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Deggers Posted at 2018-5-31 07:29

a) hover

Mine always hover but even with that, I always fly in LOS and keep MY HANDS ON the remote and be ready to click the PAUSE button and regain control no matter what automated thing am using be it drone, car or anything else. You also need bright light, close enough to the subject but making sure NO obstacles are around or I won't fly in automated mode.

As I said, I never trust a machine, so fingers and eyes are always on and ready to react.

2018-5-31
Use props
G_Sig
Captain
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

Did you Enable Backward Flying in ActiveTrack?

2018-5-31
Use props
Deggers
lvl.1
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-31 10:28
I think D should be for the dunce who ignores what is said in the manual.

I like a good debate so this has been enjoyable, nothing like boring forums - a bit of banter, I hope likewise you are taking this in good spirit and I won't stop you buying me a pint.

But Dunce wouldn't be the D I had in mind.

Page 54 of the v2 manual for compass calibration recommendations when you get there btw.

2018-5-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

Deggers Posted at 2018-5-31 12:06
I like a good debate so this has been enjoyable, nothing like boring forums - a bit of banter, I hope likewise you are taking this in good spirit and I won't stop you buying me a pint.

But Dunce wouldn't be the D I had in mind.

No hard feelings hopefully you learned something, but you really should check your safety and disclaimers manual page 12 only calibrate when prompted.

I don’t intend to be personal, but I can be pragmatic, and as long as you buy one back , first round will be on me. (;+)
2018-5-31
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules